PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official List of Historical Teams that 'Ran Up the Score' without Media Whining

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I don't totally buy the fact the Pats are purposely trying to be ****s, but are rather VERY motivated to protect the legacy of their past championships. Regardless, I think it's important to have ammunition to those (idiot) naysayers who love to call the Pats cheats and classless and running up the score.

1983, Redskins beat Rams 51-7, no media stories.
2007, Redskins beat 49ers 52-17, no media whining.

2000 Playoffs, Jaguars beat Dolphins 62-7.

2004, Colts beat Houston 49-14
2004, Colts beat Chicago 41-10
2004, Colts beat Detroit 41-9, all three of these with more Peyton ballwashing media stories.

Compare these non-stories (and more to come) with media hacks like Michael Wilbon who suggested someone should take out Brady's knees.

Add to this list, please.

You know I don't give a crap about teams running up the score, it makes no difference to me, but you were all on here *****ing about the Colts doing the same thing..

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=43949

This one made me laugh when I seen it posted by KDo5

Doesnt matter to me.

Belichick ends the game with knees and running when he has an easy shot at another TD.

Colts meanwhile do all they can to boost their statistics. Its unclassy.

Another reason why we're better than them.

Take it from a lifelong Dallas fan-when we had guys like Mike Irvin, Nate Newton, Leon Lett, etc-b/c of their serious run-ins with the law, it ended up shadowing a negative light on the organization as a whole. While it didn't "tarnish" are 3 Super Bowls won in the 90's, the negativity was SO bad from public perception, they at teams it FELT like that.

For a while, we were labeled as "Criminals" and "You can thank the Viqueens for giving you the kitchen sink" when our 3 Super Bowls came into discussion.

So don't sweat it, Pats fans-just ignore these idiots who are wishing you ill-will. Your team is very successful, and all of this will die down slowly but surely.

1940 NFL Championship, Bears over Redskins 73-0.
1966, Redskins over Giants 72-41.

Superbowl 20, Bears over Patriots 46-10.
Superbowl 24, 49ers over Broncos 55-10.
Superbowl 29, 49ers over Chargers 49-26.
Superbowl 27, Cowboys over Bills 52-17.

More to come, please add to the list.
We've already pointed out the hypocrisy over Spygate, now it's time to show just how biased and punks the media and NFL is over the Pats right now.

If memory serves me correctly, in that Skins/Giants game of '66, Washington coach Otto Graham sent the field goal unit out with just a few seconds remaining in the game.

Ironically, I was in Washington at that time, and I read nothing about that game in either the Post or the Washington Star.

Don't ask me why....

If memory serves me correctly, in that Skins/Giants game of '66, Washington coach Otto Graham sent the field goal unit out with just a few seconds remaining in the game.

Ironically, I was in Washington at that time, and I read nothing about that game in either the Post or the Washington Star.

Don't ask me why....

In an Eagles/Skins game in '91, the Skins were ahead like 12-0 with seconds remaining, but they nonetheless Gibbs decided to kick a FG to extend their lead.

And in '96 in a Packers/Boys game, Switzer decided to kick a field goal to extend the Cowboys 18-6 lead to 21-6, but that was b/c he wanted his kicker to set a reg season record for most FGs in a game. But nonetheless, it OUTRAGED Mike Holmgren, Reggie White, and several Packers' players.

Not much was really said about either case, although b/c Holmgren made a big fuss, some things were scrutinized.

godfrey, u just got owned
Godfrey was on San Diego last year (beaten by the Patriots) who won games in the regular season by:

40-7 over Tennessee (4th quarter TD pass by Phillip Rivers to make it 33-0....another TD with 3:07 left)

48-19 over the 49ers (4th quarter TD by NFL All-Pro Running Back LaDanian Tomlinson to make it 48-19....why was he still playing?)

48-20 over Denver (TWO 4th quarter TDs by LT)

I didn't hear Godfrey apologizing last year.

J D Sal

For all those talking about "Running up the score".....

Please - get a friggin' grip. Come on! There are people dying in Iraq and teams are getting a tizzy about another team scoring big on them - on a level playing field! Jeez! That sounds so pathetic. What’s wrong with Pro-Sportsmen? Are they turning into whiny women?

Anyhow - I watch US Sports and International Sports so I consider myself a well rounded person. Before getting into US Sports, I had NEVER heard the term "running up the score" until I started watching the NFL. It baffles me that this was ever an issue. When you are on the same field and you have the talent to blow out the opposition - why should the other team feel offended? Are they handicapped in some sort of way? Are they in an inferior league? Ok - below are few examples which I would like to share with you and would LOVE to hear from all those talking about "Running up the score" as unsportsmanlike:

1) Tennis--> If Federer is playing a qualifier in his first round of a Grand Slam and is up 6-2, 6-1, 5-0 (no threat of losing the match) and serving for the match - do you expect him to feel "sorry" for the other player and let up so that he wins a few games? Have you ever seen that happened? Answer is "NO". It is NEVER an issue. In fact if Federer does let up - he will be called out as "Unprofessional". You finish off your opponent as EASILY as you can. If you have the talent, use it. When Agassi was playing his last match, he got CRUSHED by some unknown German in Flushing – was that “disrespect” to Agassi? Nope – you play to win the game and continue with your game plan. This is NOT a charity league – it’s Pro-Sports!

2) Golf--> If Tiger is 10 strokes ahead going into Day 4 of a major, what is he supposed to do - give up a few strokes so that Phil Mickelson doesn't get humiliated? Should he make sure he doesn't win by more than 10 strokes and stop hitting birdies? Has that ever happened? Answer again is "NO". Even when Tiger was matched up with an aged Jack Nicklaus in Pebble Beach a few years ago - he had no mercy for Jack - Tiger was hitting birdies all over the place and was way ahead of Jack. Is that disrespecting your opponent? When Tiger keeps on hitting birdies in the last round extending his lead - do you ever hear any talk about "disrespect" from opponents? Nope. If they don't want him to "run up the score", then they should stop him - clear and simple. Can you imagine Mickelson saying “Tiger needs to show respect for Golf by not hitting birdies when he is 10 strokes ahead”! That would be ludicrous!

3) Soccer--> I have seen so many times during World Cup matches between a big team like Brazil against a minnow like San Marino for example, the scores being so lopsided - like 7-0 and the big team is still looking at scoring and having a great time, rejoicing. Just last week in the European League, Arsenal defeated a team 7-0 (many goals coming near the end when the result of the game was never in doubt). Does anyone ever talk about this as "disrespecting your opponent"? Nope. You score as many as you can. This is not backyard sports - this is Pro-Sports and everyone is on a level playing field. I have watched alot of soccer during my life time and there was NEVER a let up. That would be disrespecting. Teams that can score alot of goals, they go all out.

4) Baseball--> If a team is up 8-0 and if Manny and Ortiz hit back to back HRs, is that disrespecting your opponent? If they are at the plate - are they supposed to give away outs? That’s comical?

5) College Football-->You are actually encouraged to run up the score as when the rankings come up and 2 teams have equal records – they look at the margin of victory vs the opponents as one of the tie-breakers.

6) Boxing--> If Tyson is boxing a novice boxer and is beating him to a pulp and the referee is not stopping it – does Tyson himself “stop”? Does he feel mercy for the other boxer and stop punching (and risk getting a sucker punch from the opponent)? Answer is “NO”. You wait until the ref stops the game. Maybe they need to do that with the NFL – the refs need to call off the game when the PATS are steam rolling their opponents.

Anyhow – there are numerous more examples but the one’s mentioned above should relay my point.

I know the PATS are making a point of “running up the score” (mainly because a lot of the NFL players / coaches thought it was open season on the PATS during Spy-Gate which obviously hurt their pride). It was 2 weeks of dumping on the PATS. Guys like McNabb, Rothlisburger, Ward, Strahan, Dungy and many more were piling it on at will – thinking it was so funny. So if that was ok for them, PATS running up the score on their teams should be fine as well. PATS are showing their response on the field of play (like true sportsman) rather than talking BS on the airwaves like little p*ssies.

Good for the PATS – they are scoring big and have a right to do it. They are actually risking Brady - which is the only downside of this whole thing.

Its just so baffling that other teams have the gaul to talk about “running up the score’ when they can’t stop the PATS themselves and are basically asking the PATS to show “clemency”. How pathetic is that? They all play on the same field, same rules – if one team is way better than the other – then that’s not their problem. The Redskins should forfeit their game if they don’t want to get a beat down by a far, far superior team. They should throw in the white flag. I think it would be MUCH more disrespect to just "give the ball away" in the 4th quarter to the opponent team. If I was a coach of the opposing team - I would think that would be much, much more disrespect.

I just hope the people/analysts talking about “running up the score” get some perspective on this really nonsensical issue and look at other sports where the margin of defeat is never an issue of disrespect. It's a definition of superiority in talent. These are NFL ProPlayers acting like twinkle toe little girls. It’s laughable!

Anybody saying that Super Bowl 20 was rubbing it in, obviously hasn't seen the game. The Fridge scored in the third quarter of that game. The only score by the Bears in the 4th Quarter was a safety.

Terrell Davis had it right on the NFL Network.. 20 years from now, nobody is going to remember the environment and opinions surrounding the game.. They're going to see the stats and judge the team's dominance based on margin of victory. This team is looking to be remembered as an all time great dominant team. It's not their fault other teams can't keep up with them for 60 minutes. They'll be damned if some scrub backups come in and ruin their legacy.

Re: For all those talking about "Running up the score".....

There are two things that I do think about this issue:

1) I didn't like the Brady sneak on 4th down. Sure, they didn't have power personel, but a QB keeper leaves Brady open to taking a shot, which he did.

2) I don't mind passing as long as NE ran simplistic plays that didn't let things out before they are truly necessary. I doubt that they did this, but I have no way of being sure.

Other than that, people apparently wanted NE to start kneeling late in the 3rd quarter and point to teams kneeling with 1 minute left in the game as if that has any relevence whatsoever. They completely ignore the TE and RB issues and just lambast NE for passing late - even more odd considering Brady sat for the final 9 minutes of the game. Anyone who saw the end of the Miami game knew that Cassel wasn't just going to hand it off to Evans. He needed the work.

Anything to make you feel better, I guess. :bricks:

Last edited:
I blogged about this yesterday, but all you have to do is look at WASHINGTON's 1991 title season. Hypocritical a bit?

45-0 (Det), 34-0 (Pho), 42-17 (Cle), 56-17 (Atl), 41-14 (Pit), and 41-10 (Det) in the NFC title game.

I wish that the next time the Pats have a 30 point lead late in the 3rd quarter (hopefully this Sunday), that they take Brady out, and have Cassell take a knee three straight times and then Punt the ball (from where ever they are on the field (imagine punting from the other teams ten yard line).

Then lets hear what the other team and the pundits have to say...

It would be absolutely humiliating to a professional athlete to be treated like this. They would scream bloody murder about having to play the game through, etc, etc,

I wish that the next time the Pats have a 30 point lead late in the 3rd quarter (hopefully this Sunday), that they take Brady out, and have Cassell take a knee three straight times and then Punt the ball (from where ever they are on the field (imagine punting from the other teams ten yard line).

Then lets hear what the other team and the pundits have to say...

It would be absolutely humiliating to a professional athlete to be treated like this. They would scream bloody murder about having to play the game through, etc, etc,

That would be f-ing hilarious. Not even a placement punt, just boom that mofo up into the third deck of the stands.
Punt from their 2. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You know I don't give a crap about teams running up the score, it makes no difference to me, but you were all on here *****ing about the Colts doing the same thing..

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=43949
Good point - there is no shortage of hypocracy in any given group of people - however did you find any specific posters in that thread who are talking out of the other side of their mouths now? I'm not saying there are or there aren't any, I'm just asking, because if it's different individuals then it's not hypocracy, is it?

Other than that, people apparently wanted NE to start kneeling late in the 3rd quarter

All good points. I'll add one more...MONEY! Guess what people will do if the Pats stop trying. Change the channel! If the commish saw an NFL team taking a knee or running dive plays on every down (not much real difference in interest) in the 3rd quarter, then I imagine he would have a pretty frank discussion with them.

The only real question is when to take the starters out of the game. This is a team decision since they have to balance risk of injury, chance of a comeback, working on game situations, losing intensity, personnel available, etc.

I (and others) have said it before and it bears repeating. If you want the Pats to take their starters out of the game earlier than they are otherwise inclined to, two words...YOU FIRST! Put a significant number of your defensive starters on the pine and see what Belichick does. Betcha you'll see Cassel taking the snap.

Otherwise, line up and take your chances. The Skins should be more embarrassed by losing 38-0 in the 1st 3 quarters than losing 14-7 in the last quarter.

Last edited:
Anybody saying that Super Bowl 20 was rubbing it in, obviously hasn't seen the game. The Fridge scored in the third quarter of that game. The only score by the Bears in the 4th Quarter was a safety.
I did see the game, and the outcome of the game was no longer in doubt when Ditka called Perry's number to crush through our overmatched defense. It was already more than clear that our valient underdog team was no match for the Bears. But I'm not complaining about it - that's football. There is no crying in football, and I give Ditka credit for at least saying the same thing now.

2001 Pats beat Colts 44-13 :D

Terrell Davis had it right on the NFL Network.. 20 years from now, nobody is going to remember the environment and opinions surrounding the game.. They're going to see the stats and judge the team's dominance based on margin of victory. This team is looking to be remembered as an all time great dominant team. It's not their fault other teams can't keep up with them for 60 minutes. They'll be damned if some scrub backups come in and ruin their legacy.

Agreed. All this will blow over in time. So keep the score up! This is the N.F.L. not high school football!!!!

Even Cassell scored a TD. Like Brady said, Cassell wanted to redeem himself for what happened last week. What is Belichick to do? tell him not to score?

I find the whole thing very sad. One thing I know is if the Patriots are up by 21 in the 4th QTR vs the Colts there will be no let up after what happened last year. Those who have a problem with it, can have a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft