PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2016 UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really don't need a WR who can catch jump balls - just one who is a down field threat. This offense is not based on the deep ball anyway - we are not baltimore. I think brady would be more comfortable throwing short and intermediate passes.

I don't understand this mentality. You do realize that the Pats D (before they, you know, actually decided to play Peyton as every other team that made him look like a high schooler did), those jump balls to Sanders are the only reason the drives went anywhere. With no go up and get it receiver Donkeys get shut out.

With all of the duress TB was under, a go up and get it receiver would have worked wonders. Mitchell may very well be that guy and it's sorely needed.

I don't understand this mentality. You do realize that the Pats D (before they, you know, actually decided to play Peyton as every other team that made him look like a high schooler did), those jump balls to Sanders are the only reason the drives went anywhere. With no go up and get it receiver Donkeys get shut out.

With all of the duress TB was under, a go up and get it receiver would have worked wonders. Mitchell may very well be that guy and it's sorely needed.

The denver offense is different than NE's. And we have NEVER won a super bowl with the kind of receiver you are talking about. It could help but it's not a great need, especially with gronk and bennett.

The denver offense is different than NE's. And we have NEVER won a super bowl with the kind of receiver you are talking about. It could help but it's not a great need, especially with gronk and bennett.

Your last sentence is exactly why it's needed. It's not a great need but it could help. Just like a semi-elite run game when it's needed is not a great need but it could help in this offense. Those are the differences between say, losing in Denver for instance vs winning a Super Bowl. The margins are that small.

For a while there, I almost thought Bill forgot a safety. Interesting pro day stat:
Devonta Burns had 27 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press even though he weighed in at 203 pounds

Then why aren't these guys drafted? It seems UDFA's for every team are great players. So why aren't they drafted?

It could be a size question, Bentley is only 5'8", Jonathan Jones is 5'9" or it could be an athleticism issue, Leblanc ran a 4.65. When grading draft prospects, tape isn't everything - teams grade other attributes too.

@Manxman--How would you rank the UDFAs from most to least likely to make it?

That's tough because more needs to be considered than just how good they are. Take DJ Foster. Two years ago I was talking about him as a Vereen replacement so I'm a big fan. But, he's probably fighting for one roster spot with a couple of other guys (Butler & White) so I think he's probably a long-shot to make the roster. But he's one of my favourite acquisitions of the last three days.

I'd probably go:

1. Cre'Von LeBlanc
  2. Jonathan Jones
  3. DJ Foster
  4. V'Angelo Bentley
  5. CJ Johnson
  6. De'RunnyaWilson
  7. WoodRow Hamilton
  8. Steven Scheu
Note:

1. LeBlanc gets the edge over Jones because I think he's the better outside corner. But this choice is neck and neck. Both are capable NFL contributors.
  2. Wilson loses out to Johnson because the WR position is so full. Wilson might have a better chance of making the PS though.
  3. I know nothing about Hamilton or Scheu
  4. CJ Johnson is interesting because he spent his first three years at Ole Miss as a DE/OLB before moving inside to an ILB. If rumours of a move to a base 3-4 are true, maybe he has a better chance of making the team. He's undersized though.

Your last sentence is exactly why it's needed. It's not a great need but it could help. Just like a semi-elite run game when it's needed is not a great need but it could help in this offense. Those are the differences between say, losing in Denver for instance vs winning a Super Bowl. The margins are that small.

You could have put jerry rice out there and it wouldn't have mattered against denver. Miller and Ware read the snap count beautifully during the whole game and used brady as a pineta.

A line from CJ Johnson's NFL.com scouting report.

Beloved by coaching staff for attitude and work ethic

Another two linebackers will be at camp.

BB going heavy SEC in UDFA

Ole Miss x2
Auburn x3
Vanderbilt x1
Texas A&M x1

Last edited:

And so the bloodletting begins.

Remember when the Jets fans were telling us all about the greatness of Slauson?

Good times... Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore