PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2017 UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to do this because there's so much more than just the numbers but it's funny looking at a first round pick vs. an UDFA. And Njoku is considered an athletic freak. Only the BJ has a really big difference.

David Njoku

Height: 6036
Weight: 246
40 Yrd Dash: 4.63
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
Vertical Jump: 37 1/2
Broad Jump: 11'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.34
3-Cone Drill: 6.97

Jacob Hollister

Height: 6035
Weight: 239
40 Yrd Dash: 4.64
20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'01"
3-Cone Drill: 7.12

One reason the Patriots guarantee a portion of the salary is that it serves to discourage teams from claiming the player on waivers because the claiming team becomes responsible to pay the guarantee if they should subsequently waive the player as well.

It makes it easier to get a player through waivers, so they can be added to the practice squad.

For perspective on these bonuses, from last year :

Jonathan Jones, D.J. Foster get most guaranteed money among undrafteds

Overall, the Patriots signed eight undrafted free agents and each of them signed a three-year deal. Here is the list of which players received the most guaranteed money:

CB Jones: $35,000
RB Foster: $30,000
TE Steven Scheu: $25,000
LB C.J. Johnson: $20,000
CB V'Angelo Bentley: $17,500
CB Cre'Von LeBlanc: $17,500
DL Woodrow Hamilton: $7,500
TE Bryce Williams: $2,500

I just wanted to post that if they're so cheap on David Jones then I'll have him.
Looking at the same amount for Woodrow feels better..

Perhaps more frequently than most fans realize, 1st round "ego picks" made by owners or GMs will continue to receive more first-team practice reps and playing time than UDFAs/late-round draftees long after the coaches have realized that the "lower pedigree" player is actually better.

Fortunately for us, Kraft doesn't work that way.
Fixed it for you.

I hate to do this because there's so much more than just the numbers but it's funny looking at a first round pick vs. an UDFA. And Njoku is considered an athletic freak. Only the BJ has a really big difference.

David Njoku

Height: 6036
Weight: 246
40 Yrd Dash: 4.63
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
Vertical Jump: 37 1/2
Broad Jump: 11'01"
3-Cone Drill: 6.97

Jacob Hollister

Height: 6035
Weight: 239
40 Yrd Dash: 4.64
20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'01"
3-Cone Drill: 7.12

If you are talking about athleticism, keep in mind tho that Njoku has 7 more pounds than Hollister, if it was P4P most of those skill test would be slightly better for David.

Here is some tape of Killings, #24.

The quick impression is that he is very good in coverage. However, he's not all that good at tackling.

no love for Killings

This thread show how difficult it is to find a needle in a haystack. After all, only 1 in 10 will make the team, and perhaps a total of one will have significant contributions this year.

If Jacob Hollister makes it, it will make me feel much better about not drafting TE this year, so I'll be rooting for him. Langi seems like a very good fit as well.

(Great thread, one of the many reasons why this is such a great place)

So tell me if I am wrong but the general agreement is 4 or so of these guys as far as we know have a legit shot to really be something. That correct?

With Jacob Hollister-TE, Josh Augusta-DT, Harvey Langi-LB and Jason Thompson-S being the big "gets"?

This guy is definitely eventual starter material:

Another Butler fairytale?

Another Butler fairytale?

Rodney Butler looking for a chance to prove himself in NFL

“It was a passing down, and Rodney came on a blitz and hit the quarterback right when he released the ball, and the tight end caught it,” Martin remembers. “The tight end had to make some moves, but Rodney rolled on the ground, got up and chased the tight end and knocked him out-of-bounds on the two-yard-line. It was fourth down and really changed the game.

“Right when it happened, I knew right then and there that it summed up that kid’s character. … That’s the kind of relentless effort he gives you.”

Do these additions bring us up to 90? I don't think tryouts count against the limit, but I'm rusty on the actual rules.

2 years ago.....

San Diego Toreros News - San Diego Union Tribune

For the first two weeks of summer camp before his freshman season, Riley was a receiver. But his speed and dexterity changing directions impressed Lindsey, who knew that the secondary was thin and the receiving corps was not. So he shifted Riley to safety, where he played for his first two college seasons.

Riley took the direction and made the most of it. There he was on special teams and defense, hurling his body at opponents for tackles. There he was in practice, blocking, running, doing whatever the coaches asked and enjoying it, too. “Whatever you want him to do,” Lindsey said, “he does it full on.”

Do these additions bring us up to 90? I don't think tryouts count against the limit, but I'm rusty on the actual rules.
Tryouts don't count, so unless we decide to sign them afterwards, we still have room for several vets.

The Reiss list was the same as the ones in here with the exception of OG Greg Pyke, who he does not list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back