PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 1st/2nd Round Draft Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed the debates about college players and the draft. Now, it's time to gather an official record of people's picks three days before the draft, to see how close or far off we were on guessing Belichick's actual moves. You can make any prediction, such as trading up, trading down, packaging picks, staying put...basically whatever you think will actually happen. I'll go first, by listing the position targeted, and then my guess as to who will actually be picked.

Pick l Position l Player:
#21: Wide Receiver. Guess: Santonio Holmes
#52: DE (conversion to OLB). Guess: Mathias Kiwanuka

Rationale: I actually think the Pats will move around A LOT in this draft, but since it's so difficult to project, I will just say for now that they stay put with their first two picks. I know Belichick believes in spending top picks on quality players who play on the O and D-line, but the Pats ultimately have big starter-holes at LB and WR that need to be filled. I originally went LB for the first pick, but since LB depth is better than WR depth this year, I thought the Pats would take the best receiver first. I think both Holmes and Kiwanuka will fall. Also, off topic, I think Graham gets traded for picks before the season starts.

Last edited:
I said DeMaco Ryans and Greg Jennings a few weeks ago.

I'm changing to Manny Lawson and Greg Jennings now.

I don't believe that Mathias Kiwanuka will be around @ 52

maverick4 said:
Also, off topic, I think Graham gets traded for picks before the season starts.

I am curious why do you think this, is there a plan for his replacement?? Had hoped to ink him to a long term contract.

Is Graham injury prone or is it that we asked him to play tackle so much last year????????

Round #1 - Antonio Cromartie
Round #2 - Daniel Bullocks

Last edited:
Round #1 - Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno St.
Round #2 - Mark Anderson, DE/OLB, Alabama

Mark Anderson profile

Last edited:
re

GJAJ15 said:
I am curious why do you think this, is there a plan for his replacement?? Had hoped to ink him to a long term contract.

Off topic, but to answer your question: Graham's contract is up after this season, and we still have Watson (signed through 2009), who was not drafted for need, but for value. I don't see how the Pats could justify a long-term deal with Graham while they have Watson (willing and arguably able) on the bench. Instead of letting Graham walk for free, they will try to get value for him in the form of picks. As for Mathias Kiwanuka, reports have him dropping like a rock in the draft due to his poor performance against Ferguson. What's funny is that I changed my prediction at least a half dozen times in variations ranging from moving up for Lawson, to trading down to pile up more picks in rounds 2 and 3. Pretty much anything can happen on Saturday. Who among us will be closest to predicting the future?

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
Off topic, but to answer your question: Graham's contract is up after this season, and we still have Watson
So we have Watson. And maybe a rookie. And maybe a Jed Weaver. Yuck.

I agree with BelichickFan's selection, however I am predicting that the Patriots have to trade up to #13 to get Lawson. They are afraid of the other 3-4 defense teams scooping him up. They give a up their 3rd round #75 overall as well as #21.

Greg Jennings is the man ... Deion Branch clone. Three 1,000 yard seasons. 14. 11 and 14 TD's the last three years. Great route runner sets up defenders, finds the open areas of zones and settles in.

Chris Gocong in Round 3 (may have to trade up to get him). Gocong is Tedy Bruschi. He started as a Nose Tackle moved to DE and had 42 sacks the last two years. Not afraid to mix it up. He has been described as the energizer bunny never takes aplay off no matter if its play 1 or play 101.

1st round: Santonio Holmes, WR
2nd round: Darryl Tapp, OLB

maverick4 said:
... As for Mathias Kiwanuka, reports have him dropping like a rock in the draft due to his poor performance against Ferguson ...

IMO, if the Pats were to draft MK they would use him at OLB. Maybe MK would have trouble as an everydown DE where he would rush the passer on most downs. My guess is that MK would be more successful in a Willie type role.

I suspect that he is downgraded by a lot of teams based upon his projection as a DE. He may be better suited at OLB in the Pat defense.

IMO, Willie had his best years at OLB, not as a pure DE.

Round 1 : Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno St.

Round 2: Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame

Round 3: Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA

Last edited:
#21 Bobby Boucher, LB,SWLA St
#52 PATSNUTME Drop Kicker, Southern Maine

Last edited:
Mark Morse said:
I agree with BelichickFan's selection, however I am predicting that the Patriots have to trade up to #13 to get Lawson. They are afraid of the other 3-4 defense teams scooping him up. They give a up their 3rd round #75 overall as well as #21.

Greg Jennings is the man ... Deion Branch clone. Three 1,000 yard seasons. 14. 11 and 14 TD's the last three years. Great route runner sets up defenders, finds the open areas of zones and settles in.

Chris Gocong in Round 3 (may have to trade up to get him). Gocong is Tedy Bruschi. He started as a Nose Tackle moved to DE and had 42 sacks the last two years. Not afraid to mix it up. He has been described as the energizer bunny never takes aplay off no matter if its play 1 or play 101.

Works for me. #13 is a perfect position for Lawson; Jennings gives you value at WR and a weapon on punts; Gocong is a great long-term project inside. (Though I think Maurice Drew is another possibility in the 2nd.)

Like playing the lotto...

Round 1: LB Bobby Carpenter
Round 2: CB Richard Marshall
Round 3: WR Michael Hass

Round 1: OLB Kamerion Wimbley
Round 2: CB Kelly Jennings
Round 3: ILB Kai Parham

Round 1: OLB Manny Lawson
Round 2: WR Maurice Stovall
Round 3: CB David Pittman

I don't see the need to move up IMO the BB & SP are looking at Lawson and or Kiwanuka in the 1st.

2nd Drew and a possible trade into the 2nd for the TE Pope or ILB Jackson.

3rd OLB/DE McClover WR Marshall or Baskett

4th SS Pollard or CB's Webb or Gordon.

I like Cogcong (Hope the spelling is correct) pick. Do you think he will be picked in the third round? I believe it would be in the fourth.

The Pats are in good position for a great draft possible the best since BB and SP tendure in NE. My feeling is that the 1st round will play out just 2003 draft with Wilfork.:D

Mark Morse said:
I agree with BelichickFan's selection, however I am predicting that the Patriots have to trade up to #13 to get Lawson.
I don't see them panicking into a massive tradeup. I am starting to think Lawson is their realistic #1 target (eliminating those they have no chance at) but I doubt he stands out above the rest to give up a decent package to move up 8 spots.

rookBoston said:
Round 1: LB Bobby Carpenter
Round 2: CB Richard Marshall
Round 3: WR Michael Hass

Round 1: OLB Kamerion Wimbley
Round 2: CB Kelly Jennings
Round 3: ILB Kai Parham

Round 1: OLB Manny Lawson
Round 2: WR Maurice Stovall
Round 3: CB David Pittman
I have no problem with any of those except Parham in the 3rd, especially our early 3rd.

maverick4 said:
I have really enjoyed the debates about college players and the draft. Now, it's time to gather an official record of people's picks three days before the draft, to see how close or far off we were on guessing Belichick's actual moves. You can make any prediction, such as trading up, trading down, packaging picks, staying put...basically whatever you think will actually happen. I'll go first, by listing the position targeted, and then my guess as to who will actually be picked.

Pick l Position l Player:
#21: Wide Receiver. Guess: Santonio Holmes
#52: DE (conversion to OLB). Guess: Mathias Kiwanuka

Rationale: I actually think the Pats will move around A LOT in this draft, but since it's so difficult to project, I will just say for now that they stay put with their first two picks. I know Belichick believes in spending top picks on quality players who play on the O and D-line, but the Pats ultimately have big starter-holes at LB and WR that need to be filled. I originally went LB for the first pick, but since LB depth is better than WR depth this year, I thought the Pats would take the best receiver first. I think both Holmes and Kiwanuka will fall. Also, off topic, I think Graham gets traded for picks before the season starts.

We had this discussion in the resigning Graham thread. Think like Belichick for a second. With Grahams blocking skills outside of Kenyatta, Gorin, Ashworth & Hochstein we won 2 super bowls. A great blocking TE might get $2.5 mil per year. An above average RT gets 4.5-5 million per year. Why not resign Graham and keep paying young , borderline starters less than $1 million???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes