PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offense injuries known and suspected -- the elephant in the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Injuries perhaps shouldn't be considered an "excuse" for ongoing woes -- especially when not itemized on the official injury report -- but they very well might be key to the Pats offense being so out of sync. We know how BB likes to skirt the issue and just because a player who WAS on the injury report no longer is doesn't mean he's fully recovered.

Going by official reports, performances and observations by "connected" folks like Greg Bedard, subpar play by offensive front-liners and the unit overall likely is injury related.

Quarterback:
Brady -- most folks dismiss him arriving on the injury report with various nicks (toe, shoulder, etc.). But word is he has a serious problem with his throwing arm elbow, affecting accuracy. This is compounded by Patriot receivers leading the league in drops.

Wide receiver:
Edelman -- a walking MASH unit.
Sanu -- high ankle sprain, the worst kind.
Dorsett -- hamstring, might explain his late-season disappearing act.

Offensive line
:
Cannon -- had shoulder injury earlier this season, also unspecified illness; has not looked good overall.
Mason -- reportedly has been battling serious ankle problems all season, also having a bad year.
Karras -- very average player now with bad knee (Andrews is sorely missed at this position).
Wynn -- his return from IR suggests his turf toe is fully healed, but is it?

Tight end:
LaCosse -- was shelved for weeks with knee problem.

Fullback:
Both on IR.

It's worth remembering that injuries also factor into practice preparation where timing and chemistry are honed. In other words, we probably shouldn't expect significant offensive improvement until guys get healthier. At this point a playoff bye seems crucial, which means beating Buffalo and Miami to close out the regular season.

Last edited:
The way the ball is popping out of Brady's motion and riding high makes me truly believe his elbow isn't just your typical BB-puts-Brady-on-the-report as an FU to the league.

It just doesn't look right.

Brady’s injury has become obvious. He doesn’t look like he’s in decline, but he doesn’t look right either. The velocity is there; the quick release is there. The ball just does not hit the right spots...they have had quite a few terrible dropped passes, but the receivers are often getting bad ball placement as well. I can’t think of a much worse injury than an elbow for a QB, and he hasn’t even been able to hide this one.

Brady’s injury has become obvious. He doesn’t look like he’s in decline, but he doesn’t look right either. The velocity is there; the quick release is there. The ball just does not hit the right spots...they have had quite a few terrible dropped passes, but the receivers are often getting bad ball placement as well. I can’t think of a much worse injury than an elbow for a QB, and he hasn’t even been able to hide this one.
Brady reportedly was stopping to shake his arm out several times during warmups today.

Brady had two fairly easy throws off target that he usually makes, it's obvious hes not 100%. He missed Sanu for a sure td and it's a pass he normally makes in his sleep.

Of course Brady's arm is injured. It is what it is. I remember Drewpy throwing lasers on a rope forty yards downfield in September....couldn't throw a five yard dumpoff accurately by December. At this point in a season, a player is like a big bruise. When the affected area is a throwing arm, you see what we're seeing.Good teams employ the tried and true Marine rule...improvise, adapt, overcome. Bill Belichick is a master at this.

Brady’s injury has become obvious. He doesn’t look like he’s in decline, but he doesn’t look right either.

Ugh. My worry is this is what PeytHgHn's fans said about him as he started his descent off the cliff. Father Time leaves nobody alone. Ever. Hope I'm wrong and if anyone can prove it it is TFB.

The way the ball is popping out of Brady's motion and riding high makes me truly believe his elbow isn't just your typical BB-puts-Brady-on-the-report as an FU to the league.

It just doesn't look right.
Exactly. Brady throws don't sail. They just don't. When it's accuracy and not the zip, it's apparent it's the elbow (and whatever else) - not the cliff.

On the subject of conspiracies... Anybody else notice Sony getting up slowly? Maybe he's just beat or maybe it's nothing - but he looks the way I feel when I've thrown out my back.

Brady reportedly was stopping to shake his arm out several times during warmups today.

There were also practice videos of this. I don’t see how this heals this year, but who knows with Tom. Bigger concern is it’s chronic. That’s not exactly a rare thing for an aging QB to suffer from elbow problems...a lot of mileage. Alex Guerrero May indeed be a miracle worker for Tom, but his elbow is human and not going to last forever.

If this were any other year, I don't think Edelman plays today. The coaches have zero faith in the other receivers. That has to be it.

On the subject of conspiracies... Anybody else notice Sony getting up slowly? Maybe he's just beat or maybe it's nothing - but he looks the way I feel when I've thrown out my back.

I don't understand why he is getting more snaps than White. It's clear at this point that Michel can't get it done. Time to bench him and activate Harris.

Of course Brady's arm is injured. It is what it is. I remember Drewpy throwing lasers on a rope forty yards downfield in September....couldn't throw a five yard dumpoff accurately by December. At this point in a season, a player is like a big bruise. When the affected area is a throwing arm, you see what we're seeing.Good teams employ the tried and true Marine rule...improvise, adapt, overcome. Bill Belichick is a master at this.

BB can only do so much. If the QB can't throw, it's tough to overcome that.

Brady's injury and "decline" is obvious, was so lat year and even more so now..

While the receivers could be better, many of Brady's throws are off target and some of the dropped balls are crappy passes..

Injury and the cliff is near.

First off, Brady has played in approximatly 2 additional seasons in total post season games. This is his 21st NFL season. The laser zip in his passes are not there.

Secondly, Brady is not throwing the ball to the open guy.

Injury and the cliff is near.

First off, Brady has played in approximatly 2 additional seasons in total post season games. This is his 21st NFL season. The laser zip in his passes are not there.

Secondly, Brady is not throwing the ball to the open guy.

Unfortunately, I agree. Not sure what all problems are going on but I see that there’s rather large problems. Gotta get a bye week or we’re most likely screwed. 11-3 is a fine record but it seems it won’t be enough if we can not beat teams who are equal. We’ve lost most of those types.

How about that defense today? Gotta love Gilmore and Jackson picking off 20 passes. Maybe Gilmore actually could play receiver. He said he could. I’m believing it

I'm glad to see some posters are putting some of the blame on Brady. He's missing the guys that do get open. There's no zip on the balls he throws. His pocket awareness has also gotten worse. He took a few unnecessary sacks yesterday. Instead of throwing the ball away. In the past many of the offensive issues were due to the personnel. You could tell Brady still had it. But for the first time ever, it's fair to say he's as big of an issue as the receivers.

The defense is not only going to have to shut down teams. They are going to have to score. Even when they create a turnover, the offense usually wastes it. That's a tough task to ask when you are going to need to beat the likes of KC, Baltimore, and NO/SF/Sea to win the SB. At some point the offense is going to need to pull their weight. But the scary thing is they are getting worse. Not better. And there's no fix coming. Sanu was clearly benefiting from teams double teaming Julio. Now he doesn't have that luxury. Edelman is injured. Meyers is a drop machine. Harry looks good. But he still needs time. Michel looks bad. If BB drags this team to a SB win, it'll be even a bigger accomplishment than last season.

Exactly. Brady throws don't sail. They just don't. When it's accuracy and not the zip, it's apparent it's the elbow (and whatever else) - not the cliff.

Nagging injuries that affect performance and that don't heal during the season are one very common expression of old age in an athlete. The cliff and the injuries can be the same thing.

I'm glad to see some posters are putting some of the blame on Brady. He's missing the guys that do get open. There's no zip on the balls he throws. His pocket awareness has also gotten worse. He took a few unnecessary sacks yesterday. Instead of throwing the ball away. In the past many of the offensive issues were due to the personnel. You could tell Brady still had it. But for the first time ever, it's fair to say he's as big of an issue as the receivers.

The defense is not only going to have to shut down teams. They are going to have to score. Even when they create a turnover, the offense usually wastes it. That's a tough task to ask when you are going to need to beat the likes of KC, Baltimore, and NO/SF/Sea to win the SB. At some point the offense is going to need to pull their weight. But the scary thing is they are getting worse. Not better. And there's no fix coming. Sanu was clearly benefiting from teams double teaming Julio. Now he doesn't have that luxury. Edelman is injured. Meyers is a drop machine. Harry looks good. But he still needs time. Michel looks bad. If BB drags this team to a SB win, it'll be even a bigger accomplishment than last season.
I swear you do not watch the games, Pats-panic

His problem is not lack of zip. It's too much zip. He has no touch. No feel.

I disagree with most of this. Brady would still be 90-percent of what he's been in recent years if he wasn't hurt and his supporting cast wasn't crumbling around him. His pocket awareness hasn't changed but his protection has -- meanwhile, he needs more time to throw because the receivers are struggling mightily. It's a domino effect wrought by injury and inexperience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference