PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Off The Grid's Official Rant & Rave Thread ~ 2013 Version!! *

He can get stronger. This is a humble football player, a willing run blocker, has great hands, and a crisp route runner. You take a chance on that especially in the 4th round.

Now I could be wrong and he may never be good in the NFL but I have a feeling he's going to be phenomenal.

Physique wise he reminds me a little of David Givens. And, he's a little faster. We'd all be happy if he turned out that good.

Probably because they don't feel he has the intelligence needed to work with TFB. Being a NE receiver probably isn't easy with the need to read coverages, learn a complex play book, play up tempo etc

Ocho, Tate, Lloyd etc couldn't get it

I thought Lloyd got it and produce decent numbers on the field.

I thought BB jettisoned Lloyd because Lloyd is a nutjob with a strange personality.

I don't know, and it frustrates me. Dobson isn't a great route runner and has had difficulty separating in college, how the hell is he going to separate in the NFL?

Very true,to have success as a slow WR in the NFL, Dobson almost has to be a slot guy or motion guy and we have tons of them already on the roster.

Patton made a lot of sense. I wonder if when BB sees Patton, he is not reminded of one of his many, many, many WR busts, Bethel Johnson.

I thought Lloyd got it and produce decent numbers on the field.

I thought BB jettisoned Lloyd because Lloyd is a nutjob with a strange personality.

I like the Buchanan pick. They really sucked as a team this year. Brought in a new coach Beckman. And, things never clicked. Illini had a pretty good defense in 10 and 11. Had trouble with Michigan. But, other than that were tough under the Zooker. He's really gonna push the de's for a roster spot. Assuming Ninko starts opposite Chandler Jones. And, J. Collins is a lb for a year or two until he gets stronger. Then, I see him taking over for Ninko. Francis, Cunningham, Bequette and Buchanan will have a fight for the 2-3 openings. Competition is always a good thing.

Very true,to have success as a slow WR in the NFL, Dobson almost has to be a slot guy or motion guy and we have tons of them already on the roster.

Patton made a lot of sense. I wonder if when BB sees Patton, he is not reminded of one of his many, many, many WR busts, Bethel Johnson.

IMO a player is a "bust" when the results fall short of the price paid, we got Johnson with pick #45 where Patton was selected with #128, I think it's pretty tough to label a 4th round pick as a bust unless they don't even make it to camp.

That's exactly where I am.

Collins was a surprise, but after years of begging for athletic freaks who can get after the quarterback, no complaints at all. Plus a converted DB is a nice addition to a LB squad with questionable coverage talent. He was also a consensus 2nd rounder noted in many places as rising, so can't argue on the "value" part of the equation, either.

Dobson was a WR I coveted. Not everybody agrees, but WR is always divisive (and historically, the single hardest position to evaluate). Good size, good body control and athleticism, plays disciplined, and incredible hands. End of the 2nd was the right spot, too, since receivers were coming off the board.

Ryan was a solid pick at a need position. Nice player who should really help depth, which is just what you hope to find in round 3 -- and with a run on DBs in full swing, there was no time to lose.

Now in round 4, Boyce is exactly the kind of waterbug we all said would be a good complement to Dobson. Not my first choice but one I certainly understand and can get excited about.

Then there's "that guy." I will not even attempt to defend that pick.

Realistically, does a bizarro-land choice at the end of the 3rd round make this a "bad draft"? Of course not. But it casts a pall, and gives ammo to those determined to paint the Pats' draft record as much, much worse than it actually is.

Smart girl. Some of the massive, unapologetic homers (most of which had no clue about the draft outside of the top ten in the first round a week ago) are bending over backwards in the main forum trying to defend that pick. I don't see any way it can be defended, especially with what was on the board at that point. All in all, though, it looks like a solid draft on paper outside of that.

There is a difference between deep threat and outside guy. Randy Moss is a deep threat, Marques Colston is an outside receiver. I'd be thrilled if Dobson is either of those, even by squinty-eyed comparison. Based on his makeup, there's no reason he can't be a Colston type. At 6'3", he's certainly not a candidate for slot.

Frankly, I'd be thrilled if Dobson or Boyce scores a TD in the divisional round to help us make it to the Super Bowl or score a key TD in a game that decided homefield advantage. Bethel Johnson, Esquire. turned out to be a maroon, but he isn't the worst pick the Pats have made at WR by a longshot. That award should go to Chad Jackson.

You think BB looked at Quinton Patton and said, "I bet he will tell a mediot that being told to do something makes him want to not do it even more"?

Wheaton/Keenan Allen & Patton vs. Dobson & Boyce should be quite interesting to follow for the next 4 years.
Bill's reputation with WRs is on the line here, as it is with DBs.

Wheaton/Keenan Allen & Patton vs. Dobson & Boyce should be quite interesting to follow for the next 4 years.
Bill's reputation with WRs is on the line here, as it is with DBs.

Fair enough! But you get EITHER Wheaton or Allen to compare against, not both. ;)

I probably would've chosen Wheaton, mainly because his type of size/speed/YAC skills has shown
to be successful here, though I would've been very tempted by the silky-smooth talent of Allen.

Fair enough! But you get EITHER Wheaton or Allen to compare against, not both. ;)

Let me say that I think Dobson and Boyce are picks one cannot quibble with. Dobson can be someone special. Boyce showed real toughness in running 4.38 at the combine with a foot injury that has since necessitated surgery. As a bonus, he shares an agent w/ Tom Brady.

But I thought I'd share this story about Quinton Patton, a tall receiver selected #124 (24 spots after Boyce by the 49ers):
49ers rookie Quinton Patton shows up too early for work, but he garners Jim Harbaugh's respect 49ers rookie Quinton Patton shows up too early for work, sent home | ProFootballTalk

"Harbaugh joked that Patton’s trip was “probably the best money that he’s ever spent,” given how the story would now be associated with his desire to play the game. The fact that he would buy his own ticket, fly out here, just to me speaks volumes about him,” Harbaugh said. “I mean, to be honest with you, he reminds me of me. That’s something I would have done."

It will be interesting to follow Dobson (at #59) vs Allen (#76) taken by Chargers or vs. Wheaton (at #79) taken by the Steelers.

Boyce for his part will be compared to Patton.

Let me say that I think Dobson and Boyce are picks one cannot quibble with. Dobson can be someone special. Boyce showed real toughness in running 4.38 at the combine with a foot injury that has since necessitated surgery. As a bonus, he shares an agent w/ Tom Brady.

But I thought I'd share this story about Quinton Patton, a tall receiver selected #124 (24 spots after Boyce by the 49ers):
49ers rookie Quinton Patton shows up too early for work, but he garners Jim Harbaugh's respect 49ers rookie Quinton Patton shows up too early for work, sent home | ProFootballTalk

"Harbaugh joked that Patton’s trip was “probably the best money that he’s ever spent,” given how the story would now be associated with his desire to play the game. The fact that he would buy his own ticket, fly out here, just to me speaks volumes about him,” Harbaugh said. “I mean, to be honest with you, he reminds me of me. That’s something I would have done."

It will be interesting to follow Dobson (at #59) vs Allen (#76) taken by Chargers or vs. Wheaton (at #79) taken by the Steelers.

Boyce for his part will be compared to Patton.

:frusty::scream::scream::scream: I wanted us to get Patton soooooo bad!!! I wouldn't have even minded grabbing Dobson, Patton, and Boyce. I'm sure if we had him he'd already be at work trying to build a connection with Brady.

i as well wanted patton and was very upset when we didnt get him with our last 3rd or 4th imagine having dobson, boyce and patton :rocker:

:frusty::scream::scream::scream: I wanted us to get Patton soooooo bad!!!

i as well wanted patton and was very upset when we didnt get him with our last 3rd or 4th

Patton was the total mystery receiver this year, wasn't he? Ranked in the top 7 WRs by every publication I've seen, but chosen 15th after the likes of Ace Sanders and Chris Harper. (Plus we know that the Dolphins were ready to choose Boyce over Patton just like the Patriots.)

He's not a spectacular athlete, but no red flags, either. I'd love to know what the teams can see about him that we can't!

Patton was the total mystery receiver this year, wasn't he? Ranked in the top 7 WRs by every publication I've seen, but chosen 15th after the likes of Ace Sanders and Chris Harper. (Plus we know that the Dolphins were ready to choose Boyce over Patton just like the Patriots.)

He's not a spectacular athlete, but no red flags, either. I'd love to know what the teams can see about him that we can't!

Given the WRs that BB has drafted it might be a better question to ask what he sees in his draft picks that others don't:D

Probably a WAC offense, and one led by Mike Leach disciple Sonny Dykes at that. Very statistically inflationary. Even the best WR to come out of that offense, Michael Crabtree, took three years before he became any good in a Pro system. That's a lot of time to invest in a WR.

This is a much more informative and entertaining thread than the draft page in the main forum. I'm sorry I didn't follow the draft here. Clearly Grid isn't happy with this draft. We passed on his Binky WR (Patton) 4 times. We took a WR who he really didn't like, though he himself rated him a 4th rounder, NOT the 6th rounder he claims in this thread. BTW- grid could be right. He did a pretty detailed scouting report on him. OTOH he rated DRodgers a first round talent. :eek:.

At any rate good stuff.

One thing about Patton that I didn't like is that there is a lot of film of him basically dropping the ball/having it knocked away when he's covered. Keenan Allen would always catch the ball with 2 guys draped on him.

Allen fell because of knee problems. Patton fell without any known problems.

My guess is Crabtree in SF will be a good mentor.

Just cleaning up my Notes on this Draft...

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back