PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O'Connell = Cassel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"as many of his fumbles (20 in the last three years) have come after getting hit from the blind side..."

This is what scares me.........he sounds like Jason campbell of the skins.....can't sense the rush well at times and is prone to fumble.....not sure you can "teach" that awareness.....with Brady it is like a "spider sense"...........;)

entirely possible, which is why it is hard/impossible to predict his ceiling. If he doesn't have that sense, he will likely not reach his potential and any opportunities on the field will probably not be overly productive.

One advantage he has is his ability to run. Dude can move.

O'Connell might be what Cassel could have been if he had

gotten the chance to play at U.S.C.

"as many of his fumbles (20 in the last three years) have come after getting hit from the blind side..."

This is what scares me.........he sounds like Jason campbell of the skins.....can't sense the rush well at times and is prone to fumble.....not sure you can "teach" that awareness.....with Brady it is like a "spider sense"...........;)

Or, his LT just plain was horrible and the kid didn't have time for his "spider sense" to kick in and the kid took the hit.

Its probably a combination of things.

If we're taking bets you give that maybe a 10% chance

Are you actually taking bets that there is a 10% chance we get a first round pick for him? There is a 0.0000000001% chance we get a first for him. This is not why we drafted him. They want a solid back-up QB in case Brady gets injured. It's about depth. If Brady goes down in the playoffs and this guy comes in and leads us to victory, it'll be worth the 3rd.

You know, reading the complaints on this board about the K.O. pick just reminds me of why I hate the Patriots and their fans.

You've got fans on this board who NEVER saw K.O. play *****ing about the pick. They read some draft geek's analysis - and that draft geek got 90% of his info 2nd hand because NO ONE outisde of San Diego saw the Aztecs play much over the last 4 years.

I keep saying it - I wish I were A.J. Smith - I'd work out a trade to get K.O. on the Chargers. I'd kill to get this guy back in San Diego.

Why?

Because I'm an Aztec season ticket holder, and I've watched this guy develop, and I'll tell you what - it's been nothing but upward motion the whole 4 years he played for the Aztecs. Much of the "Negatives" that you read about him come from his first two years - when he was just a kid! He corrected much of what you've read about by his Junior year, but had that development put on hold for a while as an injury took him out for 6 or 7 games that year. But this last year he was phenomenal. For a guy who was in the shotgun and had the D Lineman in his face half a second after the ball got there on half of his pass plays it's amazing that he didn't turn the ball over 20 times a game. He was running for his life and found ways to make plays.

He can run, he can pass well, he has learned to read defenses much better than he could as a freshman or sophomore. With some good coaching (and I've heard that while your head coach is an ass he actually knows a thing or two about football - as does his staff) K.O. could easily develop into one of the top 5 or 6 QB's in the league.

The guy is a freak athlete - and a totally legit QB. It's a great combination. He's got the potential to be the next Steve Young. There are no guarantees in the NFL - especially at QB, but K.O. has more of a chance to succeed than some of the bigger names taken ahead of him. Just like some guy named Brady...

Like I said - if you don't want him the Chargers' fans would LOVE to have him back in San Diego. Pressure your GM to trade his ass back to San Diego - please! Create a groundswell, stop buying your season tickets - boycott the team until they trade him back home! ;)

I'll give you Charlie Whitehurst and the 2nd round pick in 2010 for him. :D

When thinking about O'Connell people should keep in mind that as "weak" as some consider the QB crop in this draft - next year's is reportedly even weaker.

Assuming that O'Connell truly is a worthy third down pick this year - and assuming he gets enough practice, pre-season, and trash time during the year to show he's got some NFL skills, my prediction is that the teams that have a legitimate need for QB next year - and/or those that suffer from the injury bug this year, will be inclined to offer much better than a third round pick in trade.

In the meantime, we'll see what BB has planned for him. He's aparently quite the athlete and I'll be interested to see if BB finds a place for him on special teams or even as a TE in certain situations. (at 6' 5" he's quite a target, and I'd guess he can carry another 15 pounds on that frame to bring him up to 240 if need be)

But given the weak crop of QB prospects for next year, I'm not finding it difficult to imagine some team in need willing to give up a higher pick for him (i.e. would a bad team in need of a QB give up a 2nd rounder next year for one of the better QB prospects drafted in the third round this year?)

So in that respect, ask yourself this question - would you have been happy to trade a late third down pick in this draft for a high 2nd round pick in 2009?

If your answer is an enthusiastic "Yes", then BB might have achieved exactly that by drafting O'Connell.

The Pats did not draft this guy in the third round just to trade him next year.

You know, reading the complaints on this board about the K.O. pick just reminds me of why I hate the Patriots and their fans.

You've got fans on this board who NEVER saw K.O. play *****ing about the pick. They read some draft geek's analysis - and that draft geek got 90% of his info 2nd hand because NO ONE outisde of San Diego saw the Aztecs play much over the last 4 years.

I keep saying it - I wish I were A.J. Smith - I'd work out a trade to get K.O. on the Chargers. I'd kill to get this guy back in San Diego.

Why?

Because I'm an Aztec season ticket holder, and I've watched this guy develop, and I'll tell you what - it's been nothing but upward motion the whole 4 years he played for the Aztecs. Much of the "Negatives" that you read about him come from his first two years - when he was just a kid! He corrected much of what you've read about by his Junior year, but had that development put on hold for a while as an injury took him out for 6 or 7 games that year. But this last year he was phenomenal. For a guy who was in the shotgun and had the D Lineman in his face half a second after the ball got there on half of his pass plays it's amazing that he didn't turn the ball over 20 times a game. He was running for his life and found ways to make plays.

He can run, he can pass well, he has learned to read defenses much better than he could as a freshman or sophomore. With some good coaching (and I've heard that while your head coach is an ass he actually knows a thing or two about football - as does his staff) K.O. could easily develop into one of the top 5 or 6 QB's in the league.

The guy is a freak athlete - and a totally legit QB. It's a great combination. He's got the potential to be the next Steve Young. There are no guarantees in the NFL - especially at QB, but K.O. has more of a chance to succeed than some of the bigger names taken ahead of him. Just like some guy named Brady...

Like I said - if you don't want him the Chargers' fans would LOVE to have him back in San Diego. Pressure your GM to trade his ass back to San Diego - please! Create a groundswell, stop buying your season tickets - boycott the team until they trade him back home! ;)

I'll give you Charlie Whitehurst and the 2nd round pick in 2010 for him. :D

Wow, those are some thick Aztec-homer glasses you're sportin.' I've watched him play plenty of times over the years. O'Connell is a good athlete and a decent QB. But he's no "freak athlete," as you say. He'll be a decent backup, that's about it. He's really good on the run, but pretty weak in the pocket. Granted, he hasnt had a good line, but I dont think that was the only issue. And yes, he does get blind-sided all the time and coughs up the ball. Oh, and have the Chargers give up a 2nd round pick for him?? You're either related to the guy or high.

Wow, those are some thick Aztec-homer glasses you're sportin.' I've watched him play plenty of times over the years. O'Connell is a good athlete and a decent QB. But he's no "freak athlete," as you say. He'll be a decent backup, that's about it. He's really good on the run, but pretty weak in the pocket. Granted, he hasnt had a good line, but I dont think that was the only issue. And yes, he does get blind-sided all the time and coughs up the ball. Oh, and have the Chargers give up a 2nd round pick for him?? You're either related to the guy or high.

Decent backup or "freak athlete" - either one sounds worthwhile to me for the 'price' we paid. Need 4 decent QB's for training camp to keep Tommy Boys shoulder fresh. Also, a decent backup QB is easily worth a low 3rd round pick and anything above that is just gravy. Our backup QB for the last few years has plateaued and is a FA after this year - probably not likely to be re-signed. Furthermore, Pats roster is stocked (as is Chargers) and last few years many of our 2nd day picks dont make our roster (but do make Jets and Indy's). :D

P.S. Oh and belated thanks to AJ Smith for the 2nd rounder next year. We had targeted Crable with the pick we traded to SD and still managed to get him 9 picks later.

Last edited:
Wow, those are some thick Aztec-homer glasses you're sportin.' I've watched him play plenty of times over the years. O'Connell is a good athlete and a decent QB. But he's no "freak athlete," as you say.

Of course he's not a freak athlete, there are many 6'6, 230 pound white guys who run a 4.6 40 out there.

im sure belichick consults the nfl.com on eveything, if the people are so good there why arent they working for a nfl team??? dahhh because most of those guys , casserly,lombardi, billick,mora, have all been fired, get it now???

or three quarters of the morons on this board even.

Decent backup or "freak athlete" - either one sounds worthwhile to me for the 'price' we paid. Need 4 decent QB's for training camp to keep Tommy Boys shoulder fresh. Also, a decent backup QB is easily worth a low 3rd round pick and anything above that is just gravy. Our backup QB for the last few years has plateaued and is a FA after this year - probably not likely to be re-signed. Furthermore, Pats roster is stocked (as is Chargers) and last few years many of our 2nd day picks dont make our roster (but do make Jets and Indy's). :D

P.S. Oh and belated thanks to AJ Smith for the 2nd rounder next year. We had targeted Crable with the pick we traded to SD and still managed to get him 9 picks later.

You and I can question any trade, but you can't argue AJ's performance on draft days. Really, there's none better at it. Besides, giving up a second rounder for a "potential" stud to complete our secondary is fine with me. Good luck with O'Connell. I wish him well out there. I know he's VERY excited to work with Brady and Co.

Of course he's not a freak athlete, there are many 6'6, 230 pound white guys who run a 4.6 40 out there.

Unfortunately, running a quick 40 doesnt make someone a freak athlete. Moss is a freak, not O'Connell.

Maybe, just maybe, BB realizes that he needs a better backup for Brady, especially with the less than lustrous Cassie becomming a FA next year. Tom has been hit hard and there is a chance that at some time in a season we'll really NEED someone who can play NFL QB well enough to let the players around him win the game.

It's all about W/L records and a good coach/GM should prepare EVERY position for potential adequate backup. Remember in the late 90s when Parcells had a really strong (ack!) Jets team and he lost VT early with NO viable backup? It was a pleasure to see the otherwise talented Jets team go down the tubes because of sub-par backup QB mistakes. BB was there and saw what happened to a SB contender.

Pretty much, in a nutshell. Not to mention, but I will:

Cassel, to the eye, looks like a college player who couldnt adapt to NFL speed. More than less, he gets happy feet, and his instinct is to run. Like a Bledsoe/Vick hybrid, except not as fleet of foot, or as accurate, or strong in the arm. Which equals to : Brady goes down, forget about managing games, this clownshoe will lose them, I have seen more than enough from this guy, in fact I think the 3rd stringer, as a rook last year, was better than Cassel.

I was patient with Rohan. Strong gun, big body like a linebacker, fast shoes, yeah... thing is that guy couldnt throw a short out to save his life, at a time where we didnt exactly stretch the field much, shoot that was our game; dinking and dunking. I was always surprized we kept that dude for as long as we did. He had a great year across the pond in NFL Europe, and then was cut, signed by another team and cut again.

I suspect Cassel will most likey find the same sports bar Davey did and join him for a nice cold mug of "Couldvebeen".

What boggles me most, are the fans that say that if Brady goes down, theres no chance of winning a superbowl. Maybe your right, thats what most fans thought back in 2001 when Bledsoe went down, good thing our scouts were on top of things and drafting talented potential back-up QBs, like Tom Brady.

Is O'Connell, or Gutierrez the next Tom Brady? I dont know
What I do know, from what I have seen thus far, Matt Cassel certainly isnt.

And one more thing, if we have learned nothing else from having one of the highest paid QBs in the league ($100 mill) Drew Bledsoe, and an ambitious scouting department who saw what no other team saw for 6 long rounds....
a very fahking talented back up QB, who would go on to be considered one of the very best in history.

Drating QBs is kinda a crapshoot.... they improved on Davey with Cassel, they one upped Cassel with Gutierrez, and I think they even did better this year.
Who knows.... if Brady goes down, maybe a guy like this could actually carry us.

THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING, IN BILL WE TRUST

Last edited:
Unfortunately, running a quick 40 doesnt make someone a freak athlete. Moss is a freak, not O'Connell.

Can Moss play QB? O'Connell could very likely play WR (just use him like Antonio Gates).

6'5", 230 lb, 4.6 40, throws the ball well (and accurately) - for a QB that's a freak athlete.

But, again - if you guys don't want him....

(There's a reason why former NFL QB's love this guy.)

Last edited:
Can Moss play QB? O'Connell could very likely play WR (just use him like Antonio Gates).

6'5", 230 lb, 4.6 40, throws the ball well (and accurately) - for a QB that's a freak athlete.

But, again - if you guys don't want him....

(There's a reason why former NFL QB's love this guy.)

Oh now he can be a TE? Saying he can catch a ball is just as absurd as saying Moss can throw one. Moss is off the charts with all his numbers/stats. Other than his size and decent speed, what does O'Connell bring? Again, I'm not dissing O'Connell. I watched him as a fan here at SDSU for years. He's a great run and throw passer. He's not a good pocket passer. And just how "accurate" is he? Not much better than any other college QB IMO. He's fairly solid at the position, but calling him a freak athlete is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back