Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
ife_bor_rou.jpg

Breakdown: Ocho's catches - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

AND

Ochocinco: “What else can I do? I don’t want to cut (the route) short.”
Brady: “Nothing. You’re doing good. You’re doing good. Just keep playing hard. That’s all I want.”

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Mic’d up: Patriots QB Tom Brady tells WR Chad Ochocinco: “You’re doing good.”

At times I thought the Ochocinco thing was hopeless - that this is either a system you simply get or don't. But a lot of signs point to him really starting to grasp this offense. If he gets going, even if he's not in for the hurry-up or some of the sets, you have to think he adds something different to the offense.

Just some food for thought. Branch only has 57 yards in our 3 losses (19 yds a game) vs. 427 in our 6 wins (72 yards a game).

I always knew the skills were there and that he was working very hard. The playbook doesn't come easy to him (he just does not have the grasp),but last game showed me in his only 2 plays that he was on the same page for once. He looked GOOD.

BB has always praised him for being 1 of the hardest workers at Practice. Yes, Alan Iverson I did say "PRACTICE":p

I have faith in 85 unlike many h8r's here:rocker:

Last edited:
That in and out or whatever that route Johnson put on Revis was a thing of beauty...i was like, what the...:eek: If Chad Johnson keeps doing that Taylor Price will never see the field this year...i hope Price knows the Playbook.

That in and out or whatever that route Johnson put on Revis was a thing of beauty...i was like, what the...:eek: If Chad Johnson keeps doing that Taylor Price will never see the field this year...i hope Price knows the Playbook.

Let them both be good...look at the Packers. There's no such thing as too many weapons on a team.

Let them both be good...look at the Packers. There's no such thing as too many weapons on a team.

True that i was looking at that Packer Offensive Dept chart...they are deep.

If Ocho gets going it will be near impossible to stop this Pats passing game.

So is this the official "This is the week Ocho has a breakout game" thread? I think that usually comes on Thursdays, though maybe with MNF it'll be pushed back. :)

Good things for Ocho v Jets; we'll even give him a bit of a free pass on the stepping out of bounds oops. On the down side, no targets after the first quarter. Yeah, I know .. not part of the hurry-up. Still, there has to be a way he can be part of a flowing offensive game plan. He's a Patriot, so we're pulling for him.

Last edited:
So is this the official "This is the week Ocho has a breakout game" thread? I think that usually comes on Thursdays, tough maybe with MNF it'll be pushed back. :)

Good things for Ocho v Jets; we'll even give him a bit of a free pass on the stepping out of bounds oops. On the down side, no targets after the first quarter. Yeah, I know .. not part of the hurry-up. Still, there has to be a way he can be part of a flowing offensive game plan. He's a Patriot, so we're pulling for him.

He's just not going to replace Branch, Gronk, Welker or Hernandez in the no-huddle, so he just won't be part of that set barring injury.

But when he is in, he can bring a different skillset to the table than any of those guys has.

As for the sideline throw - I'm sure Brady wishes he put that one closer to Ocho, had Brady been as dialed in there as he was later in the game, certainly it wouldn't have led to being out of bounds.

So is this the official "This is the week Ocho has a breakout game" thread? I think that usually comes on Thursdays, tough maybe with MNF it'll be pushed back. :)

He will continue to learn no huddle in practice.

what we need is a blow out game so we can work w/85 in the hurry up offense. We are set w/ our O in that scenario. 85 is not needed there BUT it would be niceto have him in it.

Last edited:
Glad to see him working hard and not getting frustrated. It's difficult to add a new piece to the puzzle in our offense, unlike some others.

I'd be very happy to be wrong about Ocho and if he starts getting more looks, it's certainly better than any receiver we could pick up for the stretch run.

Couldn't care less about young players sitting and learning for another year. if there's any way other teams fail it's by pushing draft picks to play every game when they aren't ready. Screw those without patience, I'd love to see Price and Cunningham emerge as confident players who learned from veterans, the way teams used to operate.

#85 just looks quicker to me over the last 2 games. Could it be that his early struggles had as much to do with poor conditioning(coming out the lockout) than his ability to grasp the offense? Just a thought. It will be interesting to see if the progress continues.

#85 just looks quicker to me over the last 2 games. Could it be that his early struggles had as much to do with poor conditioning(coming out the lockout) than his ability to grasp the offense? Just a thought. It will be interesting to see if the progress continues.

Interesting thought. My instinct is that Ochocinco is a physical specimen and that it probably wasn't an issue, but certainly an angle to consider.

He will continue to learn no huddle in practice.

what we need is a blow out game so we can work w/85 in the hurry up offense. We are set w/ our O in that scenario. 85 is not needed there BUT it would be niceto have him in it.

With Welker taking some vicious - and dirty - hits every week, and Branch's injury history, we really may need Ocho to play in that set at some point.

I always knew the skills were there and that he was working very hard. The playbook doesn't come easy to him (he just does not have the grasp),but last game showed me in his only 2 plays that he was on the same page for once. He looked GOOD.

BB has always praised him for being 1 of the hardest workers at Practice. Yes, Alan Iverson I did say "PRACTICE":p

I have faith in 85 unlike many h8r's here:rocker:

I think people are frustrated and rightfully so, as I'm sure Brady, Chad and BB are as well. But I don't think any WR gets a bigger applause from the crowd after a catch then Ocho.

Last edited:
While grasping it has been a process for a lot of reasons, I think the ongoing problem has layers. Reportedly (according to the media via the SNF broadcast team) he really impresses in practice, but in game he seems to freeze up. Not sure if it's nerves or inability to focus under pressure or what. He had two wide open catches Sunday night. He also stepped out of bounds on one and incurred a too many men in the huddle penalty.

Hopefully the next several games will provide him with an opportunity to settle down on the field and relax without losing focus on the importance of the little details.

lets not forget he had 65yards against the jets...2nd most on the team behind Gronk...he finally provided that deep threat we've been hoping for...and looked comfortable out there.

the next step really is to get involved in that no huddle offense. because right now thats where hes not on the field(and the reason he sat out most of the 2nd half in the Jets game)

If ocho can give us 2 deep catches a game for 50-60yards...id be happy with that production..you can never have too many weapons and it opens up our other targets as well.

he has gotten better but you can clearly see the diff between him and the rest of the pats receivers and TE's. Ocho runs a route and stops or expects the ball to be there. He hardly ever is hit in stride as much or changes his route depending on the coverage. Hopefully that will get better.

While grasping it has been a process for a lot of reasons, I think the ongoing problem has layers. Reportedly (according to the media via the SNF broadcast team) he really impresses in practice, but in game he seems to freeze up. Not sure if it's nerves or inability to focus under pressure or what. He had two wide open catches Sunday night. He also stepped out of bounds on one and incurred a too many men in the huddle penalty.

Hopefully the next several games will provide him with an opportunity to settle down on the field and relax without losing focus on the importance of the little details.

I saw Benny running off the field on that too many men call - did the announcers say it was Ocho's fault? I was watching w/ some company and didn't really hear the explanation for that.

I agree that freezing up in the game might be part of it. It explains the dropped TD pass (which changed the course of the Bills game dramatically, BTW) - and some of his tenativeness since.

Mentally - as brash as Ocho seems, he's also really coming into a completely different situation in every way here in New England. So every aspect of that is an adjustment.

it was Benny who comitted the too many men penalty not Ocho...they made a mistake and it was mentioned somewhere else.

he did give us 65yards against the Jets....and getting something going deep/on the sidelines is something that we have needed in the passing game.

that 53yarder was great. The Jets threatened us to go deep and we burned them. it totally changed the way the Jets had to play defense the rest of the game..because they had to back off the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes