PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O'Callaghan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if he might get some play this week against the first team. He was in starting with the second drive last week and looked pretty good. He played about a half, I watched him on every snap last night. He really just had a couple of poor plays, one on a batted down ball where his guy didn't bat the ball but was a serious part of the pressure on Cassel. And then on a blitz he helped double an inside guy while letting the outside guy rush free - I assume this wasn't the correct decision.

Other than those two plays, though, he took his guy out on the pass rush nicely, got some good push on the run blocking and even got to the second level a couple of times on run blocks. With Kaczur's disappearing act so far, I would love to see O'Callaghan get serious reps with the first team as the possible starter at RT.

BelichickFan said:
I wonder if he might get some play this week against the first team. He was in starting with the second drive last week and looked pretty good. He played about a half, I watched him on every snap last night. He really just had a couple of poor plays, one on a batted down ball where his guy didn't bat the ball but was a serious part of the pressure on Cassel. And then on a blitz he helped double an inside guy while letting the outside guy rush free - I assume this wasn't the correct decision.

Other than those two plays, though, he took his guy out on the pass rush nicely, got some good push on the run blocking and even got to the second level a couple of times on run blocks. With Kaczur's disappearing act so far, I would love to see O'Callaghan get serious reps with the first team as the possible starter at RT.

Ryan is a keeper.

He dropped to the 5th round because of his medical history (shoulders), but he's held up well in camp so far. If Ryan contines his progress, Gorin will be shown the door.

Belichick/Pioli really know how to find those late round/ Free Agent O-line nuggets. Koppen in the 5th round, and now O'Callahan in the 5th. Guys like Andruzzi, Gorin, Hochstein & Neal were all free agents. Only Light and Mankins were drafted in the 2nd round & higher. I would love to see a line of LT-Light-LG-Mankins-C-Koppen(Hochstein)-RG-Neal-RT-Kaczur(O'Callahan). If O'Callahan proves to be the real deal, I'd love to see him start by next year, he's a massive mauler. If Koppen & Kaczur aren't ready for the regular season, I'd feel very comfortable with Hochstein & O'Callahan at center and right tackle. For some reason I'm not a big Gorin fan, though I believe he was a starter in SB 39. I am a big Hochstein fan, very versatile, and a true team player.

Does anyone have an opinion on the play of Wesley Britt? I saw that Mruc played most of the other snaps at C, and was weak. I don't like him at all. It was hard to tell who was who at the other positions, no thanks to the senile Enberg and that bozo Cross. How in the world does that clown have a job?

I'm pretty high on Britt as well, he was very highly rated coming out of college, but had some injury problems. If he's healthy, he could become a stud backup, or potential starter down the road.

I was intruiged with Britt and curious to see how he'd do this year, but it seems that O'Callaghan is drawing more praise. I have been busy watching the linebackers, haven't had a chance to watch the o-line yet. (Ridiculous how this web site has changed the way I watch games.) I don't care either, I just want one of those two humungo monsters to be that roadgrader we need.

hmm who would win matchup at RT..O'Callaghan or Kazcur..obviously not Gorin

Light-Mankins-Koppen-Neal-?

Either is a huge upgrade over Gorin so should be a nice.semi young OL

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I was intruiged with Britt and curious to see how he'd do this year, but it seems that O'Callaghan is drawing more praise.

Same here...it seems like they're being used differently, with Britt acting as 2nd-team LT with Kaczur out. Then there was the one mysterious mention of Britt lining up at center (and having a little trouble with his snapping, no surprise!)

O'C is not at all a "traditional" Pats-type RT...a stout, powerful run blocker rather than a more agile type like Kaczur or Ashworth. (Before the draft someone here pointed out how Pats OL draftees tend to have exceptional vertical jumps; O'Callaghan jumps just 25" compared to 31.5" for Kaczur and Mankins.) But paired with the best-looking RB lineup this team has ever fielded, he could be mighty interesting.

do lineman really need to be jumping? Hes 6"7..hes HUGe and very powerfull. cant wait to see him play more

scott99 said:
I'm pretty high on Britt as well, he was very highly rated coming out of college, but had some injury problems. If he's healthy, he could become a stud backup, or potential starter down the road.

I saw an article within the last week saying Britt is not doing so well in camp.

scott99 said:

All true, but how well did he perform against the falcons? Depending on Kaczur's health, and how the RT situation shakes out, Britt could end up as the #2 LT, his college position.

captain stone said:
All true, but how well did he perform against the falcons? Depending on Kaczur's health, and how the RT situation shakes out, Britt could end up as the #2 LT, his college position.
I noted Britt was in for Gorin at LT in the middle of the second quarter in my last offensive breakdown, he did his job from what I could see. I'll try to have more info as I resume breaking down the second quarter and second half. Bear in mind we don't have a good handle on his opposition at that point in the game. I also note that reports have had him sliding down the depth chart behind Gorin and O'Callaghan at RT, and it isn't good when Gorin is your #2 LT...

Box_O_Rocks said:
I noted Britt was in for Gorin at LT in the middle of the second quarter in my last offensive breakdown, he did his job from what I could see. I'll try to have more info as I resume breaking down the second quarter and second half. Bear in mind we don't have a good handle on his opposition at that point in the game. I also note that reports have had him sliding down the depth chart behind Gorin and O'Callaghan at RT, and it isn't good when Gorin is your #2 LT...

"...and it isn't good when Gorin is your #2 LT."

You are correct, sir. It isn't good. At all.

What's the deal with Kaczur, anyway? His shoulder/s?

captain stone said:
"...and it isn't good when Gorin is your #2 LT."

You are correct, sir. It isn't good. At all.

What's the deal with Kaczur, anyway? His shoulder/s?
Kaczur injured his shoulder last season, came back, and reinjured it, I believe he had offseason surgery and since he injured himself in December (to the best if my recollection) his time to heal has been much shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Kaczur injured his shoulder last season, came back, and reinjured it, I believe he had offseason surgery and since he injured himself in December (to the best if my recollection) his time to heal has been much shorter.

And his shoulder was the reason he didn't play in the Denver Debacle. Besides the turnovers, and the subsequent disgraceful officiating, the presence of Gorin at RT and Ashworth at LT, instead of Ash at RT and Kaczur at LT, was the biggest factor in the loss.
Do we even know if Kaczur's recovery is on schedule?

According to Fanball quoting the Globe, O'C was taking snaps with the first team offense Monday.

PFnV

ps... should we just start calling him The OC?

Last edited:
captain stone said:
And his shoulder was the reason he didn't play in the Denver Debacle. Besides the turnovers, and the subsequent disgraceful officiating, the presence of Gorin at RT and Ashworth at LT, instead of Ash at RT and Kaczur at LT, was the biggest factor in the loss.
Do we even know if Kaczur's recovery is on schedule?
I'm sure it's tracking somewhere, just not on our radar - in such situations I've heard that "it is what it is." Seems that way, anywho...:cool:

PatsFanInVa said:
According to Fanball quoting the Globe, O'C was taking snaps with the first team offense Monday.
And on Tuesday, according to Reiss :

"* Rookie Ryan O'Callaghan continued to see extensive work at right tackle with the top offensive line."

Looks like he's the likely starting RT for now, let's see if he holds onto it over the next 3 preseason games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well maybe it's a waste of Brady's talents for it to continue this way... but something deep down in the ol primal gut says POUND THAT ROCK... It's a nice change from last year when teams assumed we couldn't run the ball (Denver frinstance.) Not bad to see the draft (look like) it's going to be mainly hits rather than misses (as in, first season contributors.)

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Well maybe it's a waste of Brady's talents for it to continue this way... but something deep down in the ol primal gut says POUND THAT ROCK
It wouldn't waste his talent, they showed Brady's QB rating when throwing off play action last year and the number was incredibly good. Get him a kick ass running game, use it, throw off it and you'll have a better QB who throws less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft