PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O'Callaghan

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
they showed Brady's QB rating when throwing off play action last year and the number was incredibly good. Get him a kick ass running game, use it, throw off it and you'll have a better QB who throws less.

Now if we can just get some WR for him to throw to. It's killin' me that Jackson has basically missed training camp, when he would have had such an opportunity to practice in the system.

Last year teams knew we couldn't run, so they could overload the pass defense. Could we see the opposite this year? No big threat at WR (I know we're good at TE) so they can keep another defender in the box and stuff our otherwise-good running game?

shakadave said:
Now if we can just get some WR for him to throw to. It's killin' me that Jackson has basically missed training camp, when he would have had such an opportunity to practice in the system.

Last year teams knew we couldn't run, so they could overload the pass defense. Could we see the opposite this year? No big threat at WR (I know we're good at TE) so they can keep another defender in the box and stuff our otherwise-good running game?
With this running gameand the TEs we have, we can get by with second and third tier receivers, they will have a better chance to get open if the SS is down in the box. I'd worry more about out pass blocking at RT, O'Callaghan needs TE help more than I'd like. But you've got to love his run blocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
BelichickFan said:
And on Tuesday, according to Reiss :

"* Rookie Ryan O'Callaghan continued to see extensive work at right tackle with the top offensive line."

Looks like he's the likely starting RT for now, let's see if he holds onto it over the next 3 preseason games.

I still can't get the idea out of my head that OC was moved up to practice with the first team because he was being showcased for the Dallas scout for the potential trade.

RE Gorin actually. As much as we are underwhelmed by Brandon, the Sporting News Ultimate Pro Football Scouting Guide has him listed as the 51st best Tackle in the NFl and classifies him as an Adequate Starter. He's apparently superior to Britt in the Swing Tackle role to inferior to Kaczur in that same role. O'Callahan is apparently a RT/RG tho he seems to be making a push to start at least until Kaczur is back to full speed. This is turning out to be quite a succesful draft!

patpatriot said:
RE Gorin actually. As much as we are underwhelmed by Brandon, the Sporting News Ultimate Pro Football Scouting Guide has him listed as the 51st best Tackle in the NFl and classifies him as an Adequate Starter. He's apparently superior to Britt in the Swing Tackle role to inferior to Kaczur in that same role. O'Callahan is apparently a RT/RG tho he seems to be making a push to start at least until Kaczur is back to full speed. This is turning out to be quite a succesful draft!

I guess the constant beat down Gorin receves on this board has tainted my view of him. I also am suspicious by the fact that OC was moved to first team right when the scout came, despite their being no reported injuries or otherwise to the guys previously ahead of him on the depth chart. Just seemed like more than a coincidence to me. But at the same time Dallas is in need of OL help right now, and despite OC having more upside he is still raw and inexperienced, while Gorin is much more polished and developed. This could all very well be moot because there is nothing saying that the Dallas deal is even going to happen.

scott99 said:
For some reason I'm not a big Gorin fan.

I'll hazzard a guess and say it's because he stinks.

patpatriot said:
Experience shows that you need to have a fair amount of patience before you count your chickens in a draft. To a lesser extent, you sometimes have to be patient with players who develop slowly (would Bruschi come to mind ?) but the patience that Belichick apparently shows so long as a player is improving each year appears to pay off many times.

That having been said, YES - this draft DOES seem to a REALLY good one doesn't it ?? My oh my. Got to stop drinking that Koolaid and be more realistic. Got to stop drinking that Koolaid and be more realistic. Got to ...... ;)

zippo59 said:
I guess the constant beat down Gorin receves on this board has tainted my view of him. I also am suspicious by the fact that OC was moved to first team right when the scout came, despite their being no reported injuries or otherwise to the guys previously ahead of him on the depth chart. Just seemed like more than a coincidence to me. But at the same time Dallas is in need of OL help right now, and despite OC having more upside he is still raw and inexperienced, while Gorin is much more polished and developed. This could all very well be moot because there is nothing saying that the Dallas deal is even going to happen.
Peace. :rocker:

While it concerns me when the Sporting News and I agree on a Pats player, I can honestly say going into a season with Gorin at RT doesn't frighten me. It is the line spot that right now needs the biggest upgrade, but if Gorin is our weak spot, we're still thinking Miami in February.

O'Callaghan is taking first team reps because Dante is building depth, and we have a backfield that is truly looking awsome. O'C is already a better run blocker then Brandon. Dante and BB are preparing the O-line for potential losses by getting our first team players used to their back-ups. Until 'Kac is bac', our 1st OT off the bench is O'C. Hochstein is our first G, and he's already getting reps at C.

So "peace be unto you" Dallas is going to need to cough up a 2nd rounder or equivalent if they want some O'C, and I can't see even Jerry Jones being that spendthrift.

I agree, we nailed this draft from everything I see. Caveat: stating the obvious here, but Jackson, at this point, is nothing but potential. But all indications are that just about every other pick will be productive, immediately, all the way down to the almost-irrelevant (in most years) 7th round. Andrews, O'Callaghan, Gost, and Maroney, I believe have already shown enough to merit high optimism, and Mills and Thomas are close behind. Jackson's hammy is the only thing that keeps him off this list -- but given the situation at receiver, it's highly likely he'll contribute significantly in year one.

Now um let's see what happens in our second preseason game before they all go in the HOF.

PFnV

Bostonian1962 said:
I saw an article within the last week saying Britt is not doing so well in camp.

That appeared to be speculation since O'C was getting snaps at ROT only, while Britt was backing up Light and taking sanps at LOT. Anyone will tell you that the first test is to see whether the O-Line candidate can play the critical LOT position. When it is clear that he cannot, then they get assignments somewhere else. Britt did well enough to still get backup work at LOT, as has Gorin who did pretty poorly at it.

Taking sanps at LOT, even reserve ones, is a great recomendation rather than a ding of any sort.

BelichickFan said:
It wouldn't waste his talent, they showed Brady's QB rating when throwing off play action last year and the number was incredibly good. Get him a kick ass running game, use it, throw off it and you'll have a better QB who throws less.

Yup, I agree with this. QB is more about how to run the offense as a whole and so much less about passing yards. Score the Points! A great running game needless to say will also help our defense quite a bit because they wouldn't be on the field as much as they were last year because Brady had to throw so often.

AzPatsFan said:
That appeared to be speculation since O'C was getting snaps at ROT only, while Britt was backing up Light and taking sanps at LOT. Anyone will tell you that the first test is to see whether the O-Line candidate can play the critical LOT position. When it is clear that he cannot, then they get assignments somewhere else. Britt did well enough to still get backup work at LOT, as has Gorin who did pretty poorly at it.

Taking sanps at LOT, even reserve ones, is a great recomendation rather than a ding of any sort.

I agree. Britt playing both LT and RT last week shows the Pats are looking at him as the Swing Tackle - same as Gorin.

With regards to O'Callaghan's play, I think he did well. He's probably on par with Gorin right now with a lot more upside. The problem with him is durability - all those concussions he had in college don't just go away. Unfortunately, I think O'Callaghan's career will eventually be cut short by them. But hey, while he's healthy, I think he should be starting. The real questions are (1) when is Kaczur coming back and (2) is Britt as good a swing T as Gorin?

AzPatsFan said:

The guy who has impressed me in the Atlanta tape is Randy Hand, he has done a very servicable job at LT, even if it's Atlanta's reserves. Britt is a blocker on the KO return team, plus reps at both OTs, he needs TE help, but he's not that bad. Getting yelled at always means your worth the trouble, being ignored by Dante would be a very bad sign.

PFinVA: Heh, neighbor, go over to the Atlanta Breakdown thread and join the discussion on David Thomas, inspiring it is. :singing:

Box_O_Rocks said:
The guy who has impressed me in the Atlanta tape is Randy Hand, he has done a very servicable job at LT, even if it's Atlanta's reserves. Britt is a blocker on the KO return team, plus reps at both OTs, he needs TE help, but he's not that bad. Getting yelled at always means your worth the trouble, being ignored by Dante would be a very bad sign.

PFinVA: Heh, neighbor, go over to the Atlanta Breakdown thread and join the discussion on David Thomas, inspiring it is. :singing:

As long as we're evaluating the OL, I thing Billy Yates did a real solid job. Mruk wasn't impressive and I doubt he makes the team. And Stevenson looks to be headed for the PS to work on his playing strength. He got overpowered on a number of occasions.

bucky said:
As long as we're evaluating the OL, I thing Billy Yates did a real solid job. Mruk wasn't impressive and I doubt he makes the team. And Stevenson looks to be headed for the PS to work on his playing strength. He got overpowered on a number of occasions.
Yates did do a good job, but the three I liked for Dante's body shop were Hand, Stevenson, and Steitz. Ichiro and I touched on this in the Atlanta Breakdown thread. Your David Thomas thread just highlights that we're seeing some of the same things watching the tape. :rocker:

This ia post O'C started after last pre-season game.
For guys who posted here ... How about now after second preseaon game.
any further thoughts?

I only really reviewed the first Q but he sure looked solid at RT.
Once he even protected Brady by holding off TWO pass rushers, an arm for each!
His run blocking was good and about the only problem I could see is when
his defender cuts back to go inside.
He got caught there once or twice but with more experience O'C could
be to be a stud at RT. When he spreads his feet they must occupy about
2 or more yards of turff! Then his arm span ... this guys is BIG and moves
pretty well for a big guy. I on the O'C Bandwagon.

I might point out that most posters had O'Callaghan as a backup guard up until about three weeks ago.

mgteich said:
I might point out that most posters had O'Callaghan as a backup guard up until about three weeks ago.
You might, but we know you have more class than that. :D

Holy crap. I'm pretty new here, and that was my first patsfans.com breakdown thread. You guys are obsessive, and I mean that in a slightly afraid but mainly admiring way.

I'll wait til the regular season, if I can restrain the natural homer tendency, to declare everyone in this draft class a first-ballot hall of famer, just to preserve some patina of objectivity... but I have to tell ya, the reasons for optimism are just looming a little large (there's no place like regular season... there's no place like regular season... there's no place like regular season...)

Okay I'm back from la-la land here. We still have to play the games.

PFnV

captain stone said:
Does anyone have an opinion on the play of Wesley Britt? I saw that Mruc played most of the other snaps at C, and was weak. I don't like him at all. It was hard to tell who was who at the other positions, no thanks to the senile Enberg and that bozo Cross. How in the world does that clown have a job?

It's like I told my wife during the game last night - "It's nice work, if you can get it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes