PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NYJ Game plan: Revis covering Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was "effective" in the second half of that game is that Brady was missing open receivers. If the Jets are counting on that to be the secret to their success on Monday, they should probably start preparing for playing on the road during wild card weekend right now.

Yay condescending broad posts.

Yay condescending broad posts.

You talked about a "dominating" 2nd half and how the Jets switch made them so effective. I responded by pointing out the truth: What happened in the 2nd half was that Brady missed open receivers. Anyone watching Brady over the past few weeks knows that he's not been doing that. Therefore, if the Jets are going to use the same defense as last time, they're going to get blown out of the game.

You can call that condescending all you want. I call it an observation based upon recent experience.

Here are some numbers you might want to take a look at:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/702229-patriots-jets-recent-latest-5-games-2010-numbers.html

This isn't week 2, with Brady still trying to get used to his new receivers.

You talked about a "dominating" 2nd half and how the Jets switch made them so effective. I responded by pointing out the truth: What happened in the 2nd half was that Brady missed open receivers. Anyone watching Brady over the past few weeks knows that he's not been doing that. Therefore, if the Jets are going to use the same defense as last time, they're going to get blown out of the game.

You can call that condescending all you want. I call it an observation based upon recent experience.

Here are some numbers you might want to take a look at:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/702229-patriots-jets-recent-latest-5-games-2010-numbers.html

This isn't week 2, with Brady still trying to get used to his new receivers.

Talking about that game specifically you can't say Brady was just missing. That always happens. The Jets dictated the game though. They basically put everyone except the corners in the middle, intermediate area of the field and took away the timing routes that the Pats run the well. It confused the Pats who were probably expecting the man with blitz the Jets usually run. This is the NFL the other team usually has as much impact on a player's performance as he does himself.

Those stats are very telling and it's interesting but I'll go to that thread for that.

Talking about that game specifically you can't say Brady was just missing. That always happens. The Jets dictated the game though. They basically put everyone except the corners in the middle, intermediate area of the field and took away the timing routes that the Pats run the well. It confused the Pats who were probably expecting the man with blitz the Jets usually run. This is the NFL the other team usually has as much impact on a player's performance as he does himself.

Those stats are very telling and it's interesting but I'll go to that thread for that.

Brady missed wide open receivers, and missed several easy throws in the second half. That does not always happen, by any stretch of the imagination. That's the point about the past few weeks.

Then why should we even show up? According to the posters on this thread:

The Jets can't cover all the Pats receivers
The Pats O-Line can't be beaten 1 on 1
Brady destroys the blitz
Brady no longer misses open receivers
The Pats only lost week 2 because THEY weren't ready yet

Sounds like an easy 50+ points is in the bag

Somehow, I think that should the Jets get extremely lucky and somehow sneak by the vaunted Pats Monday, it will have everything to do with what the Pats did not do and nothing to do with what the Jets did do.

Brady missed wide open receivers, and missed several easy throws in the second half. That does not always happen, by any stretch of the imagination. That's the point about the past few weeks.

Brady was missing wide open receivers in 09 when we played Denver. This year against the Jets the coverage was good and he didn't make great throws. On both his picks, for example, Moss was pretty well covered.

Man, the guys at Jetnation really are down about this game. They are all basically expecting a loss. Then you have some others trying to build the downers up.

This was my favorite post:

It's on the road.

A hall of fame QB vs. a 2nd year guy that struggles in the cold and wind.

Pats have lots of weapons.

It will be BEYOND difficult to win this game. Sadly.

---------------------------

This is the guy that is building the forum up from all the downers:

Man, what the hell is with everybody? I get it the Pats are a good team, so are we. They are certainly not without their flaws. I fully expect the media to suck up to Belidick and Brady, but for christ sakes it looks like 90% of our fan base has already chalked this up as a loss! Honestly, what a bunch of slapdick attitudes we have around here, with slapdick expectations. I think we're going to walk into their home and beat the ever loving snot out of them right in front of their mommies and wives and children and fans. That's what I think!

:D:D

Man, the guys at Jetnation really are down about this game. They are all basically expecting a loss. Then you have some others trying to build the downers up.

This was my favorite post:

It's on the road.

A hall of fame QB vs. a 2nd year guy that struggles in the cold and wind.

Pats have lots of weapons.

It will be BEYOND difficult to win this game. Sadly.

---------------------------

This is the guy that is building the forum up from all the downers:

Man, what the hell is with everybody? I get it the Pats are a good team, so are we. They are certainly not without their flaws. I fully expect the media to suck up to Belidick and Brady, but for christ sakes it looks like 90% of our fan base has already chalked this up as a loss! Honestly, what a bunch of slapdick attitudes we have around here, with slapdick expectations. I think we're going to walk into their home and beat the ever loving snot out of them right in front of their mommies and wives and children and fans. That's what I think!

:D:D
There is a huge relapse going on right now in Jets fandom. It's kinda sad.

Brady went 2 for 8 to Moss alone, with 2 INT. That doesn't always happen.

Take that away and you have 18 for 28 for the game, which is a 65% completion rate.

An interesting thing tends to happen when teams get more pressure on the QB. That QB tends to not be as accurate.

Brady destroys the blitz

Somehow, I think that should the Jets get extremely lucky and somehow sneak by the vaunted Pats Monday, it will have everything to do with what the Pats did not do and nothing to do with what the Jets did do.

The Jets should show up because the game still has to be played, and you never know w/turnovers, etc.

The points you list are essentially correct, though, with the exception of the Pats O-Line "can't be beaten." Of course they could play poorly. Don't think they will, though.

On the posts re the Jets' forums, that's not what I saw--I saw a lot of "I KNOW we will win" kind of stuff. Which makes me happy to read.

An interesting thing tends to happen when teams get more pressure on the QB. That QB tends to not be as accurate.

Not brady, he'll be fine. he's been there and done that

Last edited:
as someone pointed out...pats have scored a total of 7 pts in last 3 jet games in the 2nd half so adjustments by the jets have obviously worked for them. even the win in foxboro last yr, the offense didnt do very well in the 2nd half .so jets will adjust by moving revis accordingly, remains to be see how well the pats adjust.

Not sure who will be covering who is correct....Rex will probably mix in that look he gave the Pats last yr in wk 2 where there were literally 8 DBs on the field at same time....Have Revis and Cromartie man up sometimes, go with zone other times, double Welker, put Cromartie on Hernandez...hey we may even see Revis blitz....etc...

I didnt see the Clev, NE game this year...but what was so successful against the Pats that day? I'm sure Rex will talk to his bro and steal some of that as well...

Will be a lot of different looks for the Pats...but I'm sure they know that...

Not featuring Gronk more was the biggest mistake throughout the whole first part of the season. After Moss was traded, there was no excuse not to feature him in the passing game anymore. We needed his abilities in that area. I suspect that he and Hernandez will be a huge part of the game plan on Monday night. And, even though Welker will be covered by Revis, I suspect that he'll be a big part of the game plan as well. If they're rolling Revis toward Welker and Cromartie toward Branch, then this absolutely, positively has to be a time for Tate to have a break out game.

Do you think we'll feature the running game like we did with the Steelers? Pretty much run the ball just enough to both be effective and to make it so that the Jets can't just pin their ears back and come after the pass.

Hernandez wasn't being featured over Gronkowski in the early part of the season on a whim, or out of any general preference of featuring one player over the other, but rather on the basis of which was a better matchup vs. the opposing defense's scheme.

At least coming out of camp, the feeling was that Hernandez, whose faster, has more quick-twitch athleticism and can run more wideout-like routes was better at getting himself open against man coverage, overpowering wideouts and out-juking and out-running safeties and LBs. Gronkowski, meanwhile, had a better feeling for attacking the soft spots in zones, and then the power to muscle through swarming defenders for YAC. Hernandez is much better in the open field.

One of the reasons that Hernandez shone early, while Gronkowski has come on of late is that teams were more prone to play man on Moss at the line, with a dedicated safety over the top. Since Moss' absence, teams have changed the way they've tried to attack us. Now, the Jets will of course be trying to mix things up against the Pats, but given that their two top corner's are much better suited for man, you have to think they'll lean toward playing to their strengths.

While the Jets certainly could try to lock down Welker with Revis, I think this ultimately would work in the Pats' favor. Revis' is the league's best turn-and-run or bump-and-run corner, and this particular talent is wasted on a receiver like Welker, who seldom runs in any direction long enough for a corner to run step-for-step with him. Revis is also not nearly as accustomed to covering through traffic. It's possible that Revis might not be able to shut down what Welker does as thoroughly as he can more traditional wideouts. That leaves the Jets with the choice of either staying in base, and putting Cromartie on Branch - again, not playing to Cromartie's strength of pursuit speed - and leaving a safety on Hernandez, which would be a mismatch that seriously favored the Pats, IMO, or, if the Jets stay in a sub package, they could use Cromartie to cover Hernandez or Tate, which would be a better matchup for him, but then have to leave their nickelback on Branch, which favors the Pats.

Rather, I think we'll see the Jets leave Revis on the outside, vs. Branch for the most part, occasionally Tate if the Pats start moving receivers around, and on Welker only on the occasions when he lines up in a traditional flanker or end position. Cromartie could cover Tate on the outside when he's in, or man up against Hernandez, whose usually split out, or be part of a double-team on Welker, primarily responsible with getting a solid jam on Welker at the line. When Cromartie's one on one with Tate or Hernandez, Welker would be doubled by the nickel corner and a LB or safety, and if Cromartie is part of the welker double-teaming, than the Jets should probably devote a LB and safety to Hernandez.

The down-side with devoting a DB and LB each to Hernandez and Welker is that, even assuming Revis shuts Branch down, guarding against passes to RBs out of the backfield would be relegated to a 2nd priority -- though the Jets do have the LBs to recover and prevent big gains.

Another X-factor to consider is that Fred Taylor, who was active but didn't play on Thanksgiving, was present at practice yesterday, and might be ready for action on Monday vs. the Jets. As solid as BJGE has been for the Pats, a healthy Taylor would add an extra dimension of threat to the Pats' running game, and complicate things for the Jets, as they don't have any film on how he fits into the Pats' post-Moss new-look offense.

I didnt see the Clev, NE game this year...but what was so successful against the Pats that day? I'm sure Rex will talk to his bro and steal some of that as well...

Will be a lot of different looks for the Pats...but I'm sure they know that...

The Pats just flat played poorly against the Browns. IMO it was a young team getting beat in a classic trap game. We had just come off big wins against the Ravens, Chargers & Minn (return of Randy) and after the Browns they were facing the Steelers & Colts.

IMO they overlooked the Browns pure and simple. I was worried about the Lions game for the same reason, sandwiched between the emotional wins over the Steelers and COlts and the stretch of the Jets, Bears and Packers. Note how flat we were in the first half of the Lions game.

Then why should we even show up?

This is the question that many a Pats fan has been asking themselves after reading some of the Jets fans' opinions on this upcoming game. Apparently, our defense is awful, we can't stop your run game, we can't stop Sanchez, we have no answer for Holmes, we won't be able to block Calvin Pace, and the Jets defense is going to completely shut Brady down.

According to the posters on this thread:

Nobody said that. What people are saying is that guys like Revis and Cromartie struggle against smaller, shiftier receivers... which we have in surplus. Revis even admitted this himself. Not sure why it's so hard for Jets fans to admit.

We have one of the top offensive lines in the league. It's been traditionally hard to penetrate. With Mankins back, they've gotten a mauler's mentality behind them. A mentality that they didn't have in Week 2. Were you expecting us to get back a top five guard and get worse? There's a reason why Brady has been able to pick apart the last several opponents.

Brady destroys the blitz

Before his injury, there wasn't a quarterback in the league that could kill the blitz like Brady could. That was well known. In 2009, he obviously wasn't fully healthy (physically or mentally) and was suspect against the blitz. This year, he's been destroying it again. If you have doubts about that, look no further than the Steelers game.

Brady still misses open receivers. But Week 2 was an anomaly. He missed them with a frequency that he never usually does that day. Most of it was forcing the ball to Moss when he was well covered. However, the guy put up a PERFECT PASSER RATING last week against a team that took the Jets into overtime. Let me further illustrate my point by posting Brady's stats from the last seven games...

143/190 1,500 yards (exact total) 13 TD's 0 INT

So yes, he still may miss open receivers. But it isn't with the frequency with which he did in Week 2.

Well, we pretty much moved the ball on you at will until the team made some uncharacteristic mistakes. One of them was not using the tight end more. The other was abandoning the running game. Yet another was inconsistent play from the quarterback. I'll give credit where credit is due though. The Jets were able to create the turnovers and big plays (Jason Taylor strip sack) necessary to win the game.

Brady destroys the blitz

perhaps you didnt read this thread started by jet fans.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ts-telling-why-jets-will-prevail-dec-6th.html

Last edited:
The Pats just flat played poorly against the Browns. IMO it was a young team getting beat in a classic trap game. We had just come off big wins against the Ravens, Chargers & Minn (return of Randy) and after the Browns they were facing the Steelers & Colts.

IMO they overlooked the Browns pure and simple. I was worried about the Lions game for the same reason, sandwiched between the emotional wins over the Steelers and COlts and the stretch of the Jets, Bears and Packers. Note how flat we were in the first half of the Lions game.

I disagree. They got outplayed. They got outcoached. They couldn't stop the run.

The Patriots don't do trap games. The focus one game at a time. The Browns have been playing much better as of late and it cost the Patriots.

I disagree. They got outplayed. They got outcoached. They couldn't stop the run.

The Patriots don't do trap games. The focus one game at a time. The Browns have been playing much better as of late and it cost the Patriots.

Getting outplayed is the same thing. The fact was it WAS a trap game. They phoned it in. No other way to get around it.

It did help that Cleveland did a good gameplan- with all the "roaming" linebackers, and a few trick plays on offense (the stand up snap was pretty good) but it takes two to tango.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST