PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You'll Never Believe This: Revis Tampering More Extensive Than Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that the Vikings and Panthers getting caught heating footballs on the sidelines (which would obviously affect their psi), after being explicitly told not to do it, is a pretty good apples-to-apples comparison to what the Patriots were falsely accused of doing.

And both those teams were punished harshly....with a stern warning not to do it again

Well, maybe not apples to apples - as heating footballs, while possibly softening the leather a bit, would increase PSI and inflation.

That'd be good for kicking balls but bad for throwing balls unless you are Aaron Rodgers who likes over-inflated footballs (and appears to be a rarity)

Whatever the reason they were heating footballs they were manipulating them - and there's obviously no consistency in the NFL on applying rules... which is another way of saying Goodell runs an unfair league

Ravens were the ones who told the Colts about the Patriots footballs supposedly not meeting spec. The only way they'd know is if they tampered with them to find out..
Their K ball was stolen by that NFL guy and switched. They blamed the Patriots. Same NFL guy who did it the next week too

Patriots tape signals from an improper location in violation of a league memo. Fined $750k and lose a first round draft pick - the highest penalty the league had ever issued.

Denver actually tapes a 49er practice 3 years later and, despite being multiple time offenders, gets just a $100k fine.

Jets' tampering is more extensive than was previously thought. Jets are multiple time offenders. They get a slap on the wrist.

Steelers are caught using under inflated footballs. NFL doesn't even investigate. Nothing to see here.

Giants are caught using illegal communications. Are forced to move back 10 whole spots in the draft. Nothing.

The Patriots are accused of under inflating footballs, not even remotely demonstrated to having done so, and they get a huge fine, lose a first and fourth round draft pick, and have their QB suspended for four games.

And people wonder why we can't just let it go.....

I wonder if Revis would be willing to spill the beans on what happened in the tampering matter now. You know a 60 minutes type interview. A box of tissues nearby.

Dream on Mr. Aßßynormal.

Well, maybe not apples to apples - as heating footballs, while possibly softening the leather a bit, would increase PSI and inflation.
The comparison is perfect.

Why would someone heat balls in 10 degree weather? Because when it is that cold outside, a heated ball would be easier to grip, handle, throw and catch. (Yes you would increase the PSI a bit, but softening the ball with warmth would more than offset that.)

Why would someone deflate balls in 45 degree weather? Because it would make the ball easier to grip, handle, throw and catch.

The crimes are identical because it is tampering with equipment. The motive is identical because it makes the ball easier to handle. The only actual difference is the Panthers were caught red handed on live TV, whereas the Patriots were completely innocent and the whole accusation was complete and total bull****.

Patriots tape signals from an improper location in violation of a league memo. Fined $750k and lose a first round draft pick - the highest penalty the league had ever issued.

Denver actually tapes a 49er practice 3 years later and, despite being multiple time offenders, gets just a $100k fine.

Jets' tampering is more extensive than was previously thought. Jets are multiple time offenders. They get a slap on the wrist.

Steelers are caught using under inflated footballs. NFL doesn't even investigate. Nothing to see here.

Giants are caught using illegal communications. Are forced to move back 10 whole spots in the draft. Nothing.

The Patriots are accused of under inflating footballs, not even remotely demonstrated to having done so, and they get a huge fine, lose a first and fourth round draft pick, and have their QB suspended for four games.

And people wonder why we can't just let it go.....
I think you missed what I consider to be the worst example of a team being proven to have cheated since the Broncos violated the salary cap: The Falcons pumping in crowd noise.

I simply cannot believe how the Patriots literally made headlines for months for something they didn't do and the Falcons were nary a blip on the media radar for something they admitted doing.

Their K ball was stolen by that NFL guy and switched. They blamed the Patriots. Same NFL guy who did it the next week too

Somebody earlier mentioned the 2+ pounds under pressure number probably came from the Ravens. This actually makes a lot of sense.

The Ravens noticed the kicking ball had been tampered with/replaced. They get pissed off and suspect the Pats. They get an interception and since they were already suspicious of the kicking balls, somebody says "check out their ball". Equipment manager gauges it and finds it under 10.5 since the game was in the twenties.

The Patriots comeback to win the game using weird trick plays, the Ravens get pissed off and report to both the league and the Colts about the kicking ball and the Pats ball being 2+ pounds under pressure. The league checks out the kicking ball and sees that's true.

The next week the league runs a sting for both the Pats balls and the kicking balls. They caught the ball thief and found the balls 1 pound under pressure. The league then leaks the figure of 2+ under pressure from the Ravens game while ignorant of the IGL.

I found this interesting because it never occurred to me that the Ravens game was in the twenties which explains the 2+ pounds number. I always assumed they exaggerated to be vindictive, but this makes more sense.

Last edited:
Sound familiar? This is Parcells all over again, except that time it was before the Super Bowl.

I think you missed what I consider to be the worst example of a team being proven to have cheated since the Broncos violated the salary cap: The Falcons pumping in crowd noise.

I simply cannot believe how the Patriots literally made headlines for months for something they didn't do and the Falcons were nary a blip on the media radar for something they admitted doing.

Yes, thanks. I did forget that one. And I also forgot to mention the Panthers tampering with their footballs, just weeks before the Pats-Colts AFCCG that launched Deflategate. And, as you mentioned, the Panthers were caught ON TELEVISION doing it, and all they got was a short note from the league saying don't do that again.

SCOTT MILLER.

All mention of him on the internet since February 19, 2015 has been effectively scrubbed by the NFL.

Last edited:

That'd be good for kicking balls but bad for throwing balls unless you are Aaron Rodgers who likes over-inflated footballs (and appears to be a rarity)

Whatever the reason they were heating footballs they were manipulating them - and there's obviously no consistency in the NFL on applying rules... which is another way of saying Goodell runs an unfair league

Not sure that under-inflated balls are easier to throw. Maybe to catch, but not necessarily to throw. From what I read they won't travel as far.

I'd say that the Vikings and Panthers getting caught heating footballs on the sidelines (which would obviously affect their psi), after being explicitly told not to do it, is a pretty good apples-to-apples comparison to what the Patriots were falsely accused of doing.

And both those teams were punished harshly....with a stern warning not to do it again

Here is Goodell's reasoning on why the Panthers only received a warning letter in that situation, from his ruling on Brady:

The conduct at issue here is also very different from the ball-warming incident in Minnesota last year, in which a Carolina Panthers ball attendant was observed warming a ball on the Vikings’ sideline; there was no evidence of any intentional attempt to violate or circumvent the rules, no player involvement, and no effort to conceal the ball attendant’s conduct. As (NFL executive VP of football operations) Mr. (Troy) Vincent testified, the ball never got into the game and the matter “was addressed immediately.

Let's try to follow Goodell's "logic" here: If there was no "attempt to violate or circumvent the rules," why did the league have to step in and prevent the ball from being used in the game? If you're operating within the rules, then there is no need for someone to stop you in the act and then send your organization a warning letter to telling you not to do that again.

In terms of there being "no effort to conceal the ball attendant's conduct," the guy was shown on TV warming up the football. How does that excuse his actions? If someone robs a convenience store and they're caught on the security camera, would any lawyer argue they should get a lesser sentence because they weren't trying to conceal their conduct?

Further, how do we know there was no player involvement or any type of existing scheme? Did the NFL question any coaches and players? Did they demand the cell phones of ball attendant's and Cam Newton? Without actually investigating, the league has no idea if this was a one time, spur of the moment action or a long-standing practice by Carolina.

Of course, most fans and media glossed over this or, if they saw it, decided that bit of nonsense was okay because Goodell was screwing over Brady and the Patriots.

I wonder who the Jets are tampering with today?
Are they still using last year's secret cell phones, or did they purchase new ones?
Which of the ex-Jets in the NFL FO hooks them up with the contact info for the players they want to tamper with?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Here is Goodell's reasoning on why the Panthers only received a warning letter in that situation, from his ruling on Brady:

Let's try to follow Goodell's "logic" here: If there was no "attempt to violate or circumvent the rules," why did the league have to step in and prevent the ball from being used in the game? If you're operating within the rules, then there is no need for someone to stop you in the act and then send your organization a warning letter to telling you not to do that again.

It could have been by accident. Sometimes you try to stick to the speed limit but don't see that the speed limit has dropped 5 mph, so now you're speeding when you didn't really know you were. The ball attendant may have had no clue whatsoever that he wasn't supposed to do anything like that. I get the NFL's reasoning there.

In terms of there being "no effort to conceal the ball attendant's conduct," the guy was shown on TV warming up the football. How does that excuse his actions? If someone robs a convenience store and they're caught on the security camera, would any lawyer argue they should get a lesser sentence because they weren't trying to conceal their conduct?

This is a good point. The Patriots made no effort to conceal their videotaping of opposing coaches' signals. None whatsoever. They had coaches waving at their cameras, for crying out loud. They were doing it. Other teams knew they were doing it. The Patriots knew other teams knew they were doing it. Other teams knew the Patriots knew that they knew that the Patriots were doing it. It was done in the wide open.

Further, how do we know there was no player involvement or any type of existing scheme? Did the NFL question any coaches and players? Did they demand the cell phones of ball attendant's and Cam Newton? Without actually investigating, the league has no idea if this was a one time, spur of the moment action or a long-standing practice by Carolina.

This is a great question. I bet the ball attendant heated the footballs because Cam Newton said, "Hey Billy, these balls seem a little flat. Can you do something about them?" "Uh sure, Mr. Newton." And away he goes. I'm sure he didn't do it on his own.

Of course, most fans and media glossed over this or, if they saw it, decided that bit of nonsense was okay because Goodell was screwing over Brady and the Patriots.

Of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back