PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NYJ Game plan: Revis covering Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the worse mistakes we made in game two was not featuring Gronk more, but then, after all, that was game 2, so the trust for Gronk may not have been 100% there yet.

Even if Cromartie is put on Gronk, that is still a mismatch. Gronk would just bully him.

One of the worse mistakes we made in game two was not featuring Gronk more, but then, after all, that was game 2, so the trust for Gronk may not have been 100% there yet.

Even if Cromartie is put on Gronk, that is still a mismatch. Gronk would just bully him.

Cromartie on Gronk is adantage Jets passing game...advantage Pats running game. I think the Jets will keep Cromartie on a WR and i am hoping Branch so that he can turn Cromartie inside out. Cromartie does well against the stiff guys like Moss but the Wiggly guys like Branch he's not so good.

I'll just leave this here. Last 3 meetings...

Code:
                          Comp%	 Yards  TD	 INT	      YPA
Brady	       71/124	  57.3%	774	   3	   3	      6.24
Sanchez	        43/73 	  58.9%	519	   5	   4	      7.11

All things considered, the Jets accounted for half of Brady's interceptions all year - both on deep balls - and a forced fumble.

I find it surprising that you think that Revis is at a disadvantage against Welker in the slot. The thing about Revis is that he has been able to move around and defend all different types of receivers who line up at different positions. If you said Cromartie on Welker is advantage Patriots then I'd agree since Cromartie's game is solid coverage with great catchup speed but Revis is always attached to his receiver. Revis has great hips and turns on a time plus he's a sure tackler which means even if Welker catches it Revis is likely to end the play right after the catch.

Last game Wilson played really well against Welker and they may go back to that but it's also possible that Eric Smith's hit played as big a role as Wilson.

Except this isn't 2009, and the Jest have not been able to mount an effective pass rush this year without the blitz. Brady does have more trouble with teams that can rush the passer without the blitz, but he can tear apart a blitzing team, especially with the weapons the Pats have now. Woodhead coming out of the backfield on a screen will be a Jet killer if ol' Rexy dials up those blitzes too much.

You have too little faith in our team and too much faith in theirs, I'm afraid. Time to turn off the ESPN.

Who says I believe they will be able to do this. But if they can pull this off (finish drives, avoid Turnovers and limit us to about 21 points) they will win.

Also I am not so sure, about this teams blitz killer ability. Of course brady is good at it, but even he has to rush these throws and that led to a relatively high number of dropped passes, due to inexperience of our receiving weapons.

In the end we are the better team, playing at home, so the Jets need to bring their A game but they are good enough to win if they do, and we dont.

The moral of the story is that there will be people open on Monday night. "The open man" is going to have a big game. I could see putting Cromartie on Gronkowski, but I would guess that BB could expose something like that by running 2 TE sets with Gronk as a decoy to take Cromartie out of the game, while Hernandez is still lined up with an LB or safety. Maybe? :confused2:

Revis on Welker, and who on Branch?

I know I'll probably be yelled down for suggesting it, but could Tate redeem himself this week? I doubt he'll draw the best coverage.

This is not to mention the effect that the Jest coverage will have on their inability to stack the box for the running/screen game out of 3 WR or 2 TE sets.

I don't think Tate will be a big part of the game plan this week. The Jets are good at stopping the big play, but don't do well when it comes to stopping the short game and I think we will focus on that over trying for the big play, but that does not discount us trying to sneak in a surprise or two (e.g., bootleg).

Code:

All things considered, the Jets accounted for half of Brady's interceptions all year - both on deep balls - and a forced fumble.

Last three meetings between each other, you mean?

Both interceptions were to Moss.

The beauty of the Pats' offense right now is that is simply doesn't matter which receiver the Jets would like to neutralize w/Revis. There are too many options for that to be a concern.

The key for the Pats is the offensive line when the Jets don't blitz. (The Jets' blitz simply hasn't been effective this year.) If they give Brady the handful of seconds he needs, the Pats score 35+ and win.

Last edited:

Code:
                          Comp%     Yards  TD     INT          YPA
Brady           71/124      57.3%    774       3       3          6.24
Sanchez            43/73       58.9%    519       5       4          7.11

Both INTs were because Brady was forcing the ball to Moss on double coverage. Odds are that Brady won't be forcing any balls to Moss on Monday night.

Also, the game at home last year, eventhough Brady didn't throw any TDs the offense did score 24 points in a 31-14 victory.

Not featuring Gronk more was the biggest mistake throughout the whole first part of the season. After Moss was traded, there was no excuse not to feature him in the passing game anymore. We needed his abilities in that area. I suspect that he and Hernandez will be a huge part of the game plan on Monday night. And, even though Welker will be covered by Revis, I suspect that he'll be a big part of the game plan as well. If they're rolling Revis toward Welker and Cromartie toward Branch, then this absolutely, positively has to be a time for Tate to have a break out game.

Do you think we'll feature the running game like we did with the Steelers? Pretty much run the ball just enough to both be effective and to make it so that the Jets can't just pin their ears back and come after the pass.

The beauty of the Pats' offense right now is that is simply doesn't matter which receiver the Jets would like to neutralize w/Revis. There are too many options for that to be a concern.

The key for the Pats is the offensive line when the Jets don't blitz. (The Jets' blitz simply hasn't been effective this year.) If they give Brady the handful of seconds he needs, the Pats score 35+ and win.

In theory that's true but in the first game the Jets played their standard blitzing defense in the first half but in their dominating second half they played a zone/man hybrid sending only 4 and it was more effective.

In theory that's true but in the first game the Jets played their standard blitzing defense in the first half but in their dominating second half they played a zone/man hybrid sending only 4 and it was more effective.

Indeed. They caught Brady by surprise when they did that. The problem with doing that this time is that Brady, film rat that he is, will be expecting both of those looks.

Honestly, referencing the first game this year has as much value as referencing a game from two years ago. The Pats, particularly on offense, are a completely different team.

Last edited:

Code:

Good points but Brady had Ben *stone hands* Watson at TE last year. Sam i was never a WR* Aiken as our #3 WR. This year is a Different story with Branch - Gronk - Hernandez and maybe :scared: Tate with those hands.:)

the jets took hernandz out of the game last time in the 2nd half . i think they will put revis/cromartie on him and take their chances with branch outside with the other corner . They wont let hernandez get those huge yard completions and will live the less athletic gronk to minimize damage. its going to upto gronk how much he effects this game

Honestly, referencing the first game this year has as much value as referencing a game from two years ago. The Pats, particularly on offense, are a completely different team.

But we need something to debate. And that's the most immediate 1 on 1 example there is. It also is good for the claim that "If the Jets give Brady time he will pick them apart." I'm not saying we beat them by using coverage instead of the blitz, thats stupid, but I'm saying that the Jets did expose Brady when they changed their defense. The best way for the Jets to win is to throw different looks at the Patriots and stay disciplined even then, Brady can sometimes look unstoppable.

What was "effective" in the second half of that game is that Brady was missing open receivers. If the Jets are counting on that to be the secret to their success on Monday, they should probably start preparing for playing on the road during wild card weekend right now.

the jets took hernandz out of the game last time in the 2nd half . i think they will put revis/cromartie on him and take their chances with branch outside with the other corner . They wont let hernandez get those huge yard completions and will live the less athletic gronk to minimize damage. its going to upto gronk how much he effects this game

Incorrect.

Hernandez had a few catches in the 2nd half.

What took us out of the 2nd half were two drive-killing passes to Moss; one was an interception and one was a 3rd and 7 incompletion.

Also two DPI on Butler was disastrous. The first one was completely bull, and the second was questionable because there wasn't much body contact to cause that "tripping."

Do you think we'll feature the running game like we did with the Steelers? Pretty much run the ball just enough to both be effective and to make it so that the Jets can't just pin their ears back and come after the pass.

We will feature it big time on Monday night and I think it will have a considerable impact on the game.

The presence of Mankins has completely changed the identity of the OL- his enforcer mentality and nasty streak just rubs off on everyone else and makes them accountable for their efforts.

I think he is the one player that we just have to break the bank for, when we resign him. He is to the OL what Wilfork is to the defense.

In the first matchup against the Jets, the last drive near the end of the first quarter and culminating at the start of the 2nd quarter with a Welker TD, we saw a flash of the offense that we eventually evolved to. What's eerie was that BJGE was the RB on that drive which ate up 8:10 on the clock, a 15 play 75 yard drive that was just a beautiful mix of the pass and run.

However on the next drive, we saw that huge completion to Hernandez and that one hand catch by Moss for the TD. That was a 2 play, 50 second drive and BOB lost discipline after that and ended up abandoning the run and just trying to replicate that drive for the rest of the game (I am sure Brady had a hand in that too- I am not sure if he ignored his reads on the last drive and just went right to Moss on that 2nd drive-killer).

So at this point in time, we have reasons to be confident. BOB is more mature at play-calling, we have a much better OL, and Brady is much sharper.

Both INTs were because Brady was forcing the ball to Moss on double coverage. Odds are that Brady won't be forcing any balls to Moss on Monday night.

Also, the game at home last year, eventhough Brady didn't throw any TDs the offense did score 24 points in a 31-14 victory.

Correct, 3 of his last 4 interceptions against the Jets were forced to Moss. That won't be an issue this time.

Here is one of them:
NFL Videos: Darrelle Revis interception

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes