PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not so fast on Meriweather to cornerback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meriweather was NOT just a "stop-gap, emergency" solution at cornerback last year. He was there because he can play the damn position. Just because he played safety at Miami does NOT mean that he'll necessarily be a better safety in the pros. WAY too many people automatically assume. Or, they'll look at Meriweather's skillset and draw expert conclusions themselves. For as long Meriweather stays at cornerback, you see, he will be worse off, because you've already concluded for yourself that Meriweather "should" be a safety before he even stepped on a practice field. He could play cornerback for 15 years and because of that conclusion you drew waaaay back in April 2007, you'll still remain adamant that safety is "his position."

The Meriweather at cornerback experiment failed last year, and Meriweather made his desire to remain a safety quite clear. The team could try it again, of course, but it's not as if people don't have good reason to opine regarding Meriweather's skill set and where he should play.

The Meriweather at cornerback experiment failed last year, and Meriweather made his desire to remain a safety quite clear. The team could try it again, of course, but it's not as if people don't have good reason to opine regarding Meriweather's skill set and where he should play.

howd it fail? you have no way of proving it failed. He came in sub packages playing as a deep safety when Rodney would move up and play as a linebacker in nickel/dime ... maybe him playing a bit of corner is to use his versatility and get his technique down to play corner if a situation were to come up

The Meriweather at cornerback experiment failed last year,

Based on what?!?

and Meriweather made his desire to remain a safety quite clear.

So clearly I neither remember him saying such or the team suggesting such.

The team could try it again, of course, but it's not as if people don't have good reason to opine regarding Meriweather's skill set and where he should play.

They opine and opine away. That's fine. But they draw far too many conclusions for my liking. Just check out even the title (!) of this thread. There is a very real animosity towards any suggestion of Meriweather moving to corner. Pretty harsh, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Not meaning to spam, but just based on what I've seen of Deus and the responses to his statement, I can see there is a four page debate brewing.

Not meaning to spam, but just based on what I've seen of Deus and the responses to his statement, I can see there is a four page debate brewing.

Wouldn't be the first for me in my three years here. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case