PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Non-Smack Football Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Containing Romo. That's all we need to do. If he gets to roll out and hit Witten all day then it will be a shootout (at best).

That's the game plan in a nut shell. :D

Take away EXACTLY what Romo wants to do and he will be frustrated. Let him sit right in the pocket and not move an inch and pick us apart if he can. But no movement allowed.

On offense we need to take advantage of the Cowboys pass rush by throwing screens and using Moss as a decoy.

Then when they wise up to the screens, throw it to Moss. :eek:

1) What is a strength of the opposing team that you feel can exploit your team?
The Cowboys have a good running game. IF they can run well vs our D (which few teams ever do) they can exploit the defensive strategy. If you are playing a 2gap D, and cannot stop the run, you are vulnerable. The key to beating our defensive scheme is to be able to run well enough on first down that you can make plays throwing on first down. You need to be able to throw on first down to beat our D, but you won't be able to throw on first down effectively unless you establish the run. 2nd and 10s are death against a BB D.

2) What perceived weakness of the opposing team do you feel that your team can exploit?
Their defense is built on pressure. We can exploit that type of defense. Our OL is, IMO, the best in the NFL, and absolutely the best pass blocking, esp vs the blitz. If they cannot get to Brady, their secondary cannot hold up. If they cannot get to Brady, they will get more and more aggressive to do so, and our running game will flourish.

3) What other factors do you feel will impact this game?
I think like most big games, there will be an early onslaught by one team or the other. Quick score or long sustained drive, then having the ball back up a TD, with the chance to extend it to 2. This isnt necessarily the first score of the game, but at some point one team will take control and the other must stop the momentum. How the team that is BEHIND responds will be the key to this game. Its not the first blow that matters, it the response, and whether the knockout punch gets delivered.

If pattern holds, we score the first time we get the ball. If we get it back up 7-0 and start driving, the Cowboys MUST stop us. If the Cowboys hand around in a close game, then score to go ahead in the 3rd quarter, we MUST answer that score and take the lead back.

Witten.
Stop Witten and you've stopped Dallas.
That's what AD is here for.

Just like stopping Dallas (Dallas CLARK, of course!)
and you've stopped Indy.
(No. Not quite. But stopping Jason Witten will stop this Dallas.)

The Cowboys have a good running game. IF they can run well vs our D (which few teams ever do) they can exploit the defensive strategy. If you are playing a 2gap D, and cannot stop the run, you are vulnerable. The key to beating our defensive scheme is to be able to run well enough on first down that you can make plays throwing on first down. You need to be able to throw on first down to beat our D, but you won't be able to throw on first down effectively unless you establish the run. 2nd and 10s are death against a BB D.

2) What perceived weakness of the opposing team do you feel that your team can exploit?
Their defense is built on pressure. We can exploit that type of defense. Our OL is, IMO, the best in the NFL, and absolutely the best pass blocking, esp vs the blitz. If they cannot get to Brady, their secondary cannot hold up. If they cannot get to Brady, they will get more and more aggressive to do so, and our running game will flourish.

I think like most big games, there will be an early onslaught by one team or the other. Quick score or long sustained drive, then having the ball back up a TD, with the chance to extend it to 2. This isnt necessarily the first score of the game, but at some point one team will take control and the other must stop the momentum. How the team that is BEHIND responds will be the key to this game. Its not the first blow that matters, it the response, and whether the knockout punch gets delivered.

If pattern holds, we score the first time we get the ball. If we get it back up 7-0 and start driving, the Cowboys MUST stop us. If the Cowboys hand around in a close game, then score to go ahead in the 3rd quarter, we MUST answer that score and take the lead back.
Do you ever feel like NE opponents abandon the run too early against you guys. Sometimes perhaps out of necessity, but if I am Dallas, I go with Jones early and often, and pound away with Barber late (this formula was suggested earlier this week somewhere). Again, they may not get the chance to do this, but I think a discipline approach to a balanced attack would serve Dallas well this week.

The Cows have a big strong OL, a strength but the Pats' strength is rotation in the DL. This rotation mitigates the advantage that a big OL has in wearing down the DL. Note the Buff game where the Bills' DL was too exhausted to pressure Romo on the last drives. The key to success will be long drives by the Pats O that keep the D rested and hungry for playing time.

Excellent thread.

Cowboys fan here if you haven't already figured that out by reading some of my other posts here in the past couple of days. Anyway, I thought I'd provide you all with my 2 cents and in the process perhaps give you a decent preview of your opponent this Sunday.

First, the questions:

That would be Brady. I'm not sure I've ever seen the guy rattled under pressure, and now that he has arguably his best receiving corp ever, well...let's just say I'm quite concerned about this particular game. But enough of the Patriots. I'm sure you guys know all this already.

I'm not sure there is one. The Patriots are pretty solid everywhere, and any perceived weakness would only look like nitpicking...but I'll give nitpicking a shot anyway.

One thing I notice right away is that the Patriots corners are on the small side compared to the Cowboys receivers who, to a man, have 3-6 inches and 5-15 pounds on your guys. Not that this disparity can be illustrated as a serious Patriot weakness, but it could come into play during the game, especially if TO is "on" in this game. And if he is, you guys don't really have anyone who can shut him down physically. Press him and TO will simply shove the corner out of the way. He's that strong. Give him a cushion and he'll exploit it, leaving the corner in the dust. Roll coverage his way and you'll leave either Witten or Crayton one-on-one, and both have proven to be more than "just guys" in this league. Laugh about Crayton if you want, but the minute the corner takes a break he'll get burned.

Dallas utilizes a 4 wide package as well, and I'd expect to see it often in this game, especially since every Dallas receiver provides a potential physical mismatch for the Patriots corners.

Additionally, Dallas often deploys a different 4 wide package disguised as a 2TE formation with both Witten and TE Anthony Fasano running routes. You think Witten running loose in the middle is a concern? Try 2 TEs at the same time. I suspect nobody outside of Dallas knows who Fasano is, but you guys might get an introduction on Sunday given that the Patriots are not exactly known for shutting down TEs.

Turnovers, as usual, will be huge. Niether team can afford to turn the ball over as that's the quickest way to lose a game (Monday night being one of the odd exceptions). That and how effectively each team runs the ball.

Someone in another thread gave the impression that Brady can just throw all day long and win the game in that manner, but I tell you what, if for whatever reason the Patriots choose to or have to abandon the running game early, they stand a good chance of going home with a their first "L" of the season. Any team that's reduced to a one-dimensional offense is in greater jeopardy of losing the game, and I don't think the Patriots are immune from this. Less susceptible maybe, but the team isn't bullet proof.

Other observations:

1. The Cowboys love to play a time of possession game in the first half and wear down defenses. If the running game is working early and TO is able to get open on crossing routes, this game is not going to be a slam dunk for you guys.

2. The more defensive players chase after Romo, the better. I know you guys have some good depth, but running after a guy all day long can still do it's damage. Besides, Romo throws as good on the run as he does in the pocket, so I expect the coaches will get him moving around some during the game. The best thing the Patriots can do is keep him in the pocket and use deception to confuse him. After all, we are talking about a guy who, in terms of games played, isn't much different than a rookie. He's still got a lot to learn.

3. Brady will feel some pressure on Sunday. That's how the Cowboys get turnovers, pressuring the QB (not necessarily sacking him) and forcing errant throws. Brady, however, provides a unique challenge as pressure rarely forces him into mistakes. Knowing that, I'd expect to see something different from the Dallas defense this time around. Contrary to popular belief, Dallas really doesn't blitz all that much. We can't because we haven't had both of our starting corners healthy at the same time all year. But that practice might change this time. Whatever happens, the key will be in how effective we are at disguising our blitzes. Personally, I'd like to see some zone blitzing and lots of moving the safeties around like the Patriots do to confuse the QB.

All things being equal, meaning in this case no turnovers or silly mistakes on either side, I expect a couple of things to happen for the Cowboys: Romo will pass for about 300 yards and a couple of TDs. I don't see you guys containing Witten. He should have another 100 yard game and a TD. TO...:rolleyes: who knows? If he's on, he could be huge. Then again, he could disappear like against the Bills. Of course, that also depends on how well Romo is doing. For all your depth, I still think your defense will start to tire in the 4th quarter, especially if we can sustain some drives early and keep your defense on the field, and if that happens, Barber has this thing he does to guys in the 4th quarter...he runs them over.

Still, final score....

Pats 31
Cowboys 28

Excellent thread.

Cowboys fan here if you haven't already figured that out by reading some of my other posts here in the past couple of days. Anyway, I thought I'd provide you all with my 2 cents and in the process perhaps give you a decent preview of your opponent this Sunday.

First, the questions:

That would be Brady. I'm not sure I've ever seen the guy rattled under pressure, and now that he has arguably his best receiving corp ever, well...let's just say I'm quite concerned about this particular game. But enough of the Patriots. I'm sure you guys know all this already.

I'm not sure there is one. The Patriots are pretty solid everywhere, and any perceived weakness would only look like nitpicking...but I'll give nitpicking a shot anyway.

One thing I notice right away is that the Patriots corners are on the small side compared to the Cowboys receivers who, to a man, have 3-6 inches and 5-15 pounds on your guys. Not that this disparity can be illustrated as a serious Patriot weakness, but it could come into play during the game, especially if TO is "on" in this game. And if he is, you guys don't really have anyone who can shut him down physically. Press him and TO will simply shove the corner out of the way. He's that strong. Give him a cushion and he'll exploit it, leaving the corner in the dust. Roll coverage his way and you'll leave either Witten or Crayton one-on-one, and both have proven to be more than "just guys" in this league. Laugh about Crayton if you want, but the minute the corner takes a break he'll get burned.

Dallas utilizes a 4 wide package as well, and I'd expect to see it often in this game, especially since every Dallas receiver provides a potential physical mismatch for the Patriots corners.

Additionally, Dallas often deploys a different 4 wide package disguised as a 2TE formation with both Witten and TE Anthony Fasano running routes. You think Witten running loose in the middle is a concern? Try 2 TEs at the same time. I suspect nobody outside of Dallas knows who Fasano is, but you guys might get an introduction on Sunday given that the Patriots are not exactly known for shutting down TEs.

Turnovers, as usual, will be huge. Niether team can afford to turn the ball over as that's the quickest way to lose a game (Monday night being one of the odd exceptions). That and how effectively each team runs the ball.

Someone in another thread gave the impression that Brady can just throw all day long and win the game in that manner, but I tell you what, if for whatever reason the Patriots choose to or have to abandon the running game early, they stand a good chance of going home with a their first "L" of the season. Any team that's reduced to a one-dimensional offense is in greater jeopardy of losing the game, and I don't think the Patriots are immune from this. Less susceptible maybe, but the team isn't bullet proof.

Other observations:

1. The Cowboys love to play a time of possession game in the first half and wear down defenses. If the running game is working early and TO is able to get open on crossing routes, this game is not going to be a slam dunk for you guys.

2. The more defensive players chase after Romo, the better. I know you guys have some good depth, but running after a guy all day long can still do it's damage. Besides, Romo throws as good on the run as he does in the pocket, so I expect the coaches will get him moving around some during the game. The best thing the Patriots can do is keep him in the pocket and use deception to confuse him. After all, we are talking about a guy who, in terms of games played, isn't much different than a rookie. He's still got a lot to learn.

3. Brady will feel some pressure on Sunday. That's how the Cowboys get turnovers, pressuring the QB (not necessarily sacking him) and forcing errant throws. Brady, however, provides a unique challenge as pressure rarely forces him into mistakes. Knowing that, I'd expect to see something different from the Dallas defense this time around. Contrary to popular belief, Dallas really doesn't blitz all that much. We can't because we haven't had both of our starting corners healthy at the same time all year. But that practice might change this time. Whatever happens, the key will be in how effective we are at disguising our blitzes. Personally, I'd like to see some zone blitzing and lots of moving the safeties around like the Patriots do to confuse the QB.

All things being equal, meaning in this case no turnovers or silly mistakes on either side, I expect a couple of things to happen for the Cowboys: Romo will pass for about 300 yards and a couple of TDs. I don't see you guys containing Witten. He should have another 100 yard game and a TD. TO...:rolleyes: who knows? If he's on, he could be huge. Then again, he could disappear like against the Bills. Of course, that also depends on how well Romo is doing. For all your depth, I still think your defense will start to tire in the 4th quarter, especially if we can sustain some drives early and keep your defense on the field, and if that happens, Barber has this thing he does to guys in the 4th quarter...he runs them over.

Still, final score....

Pats 31
Cowboys 28

Nice post. Some responses:

1) You are right that NE isn't known for shutting down TEs, but they were actually quite good at it last year with the obvious exception of the meltdown against Indy. According to footballoutsiders, NE was the best team at defending the TE last year (IIRC), but admittedly, they didn't face a TE as part of a dynamic offense all that often. Since NE will have to protect against TO, Barber and play contain on Romo, I expect Witten to have a good day.

2) NE being "reduced" to being one dimensional is a little strange, because they often "choose" to be so. Brady is so effective at reading the D presnap, and so quick to adapt to changes that NE is more than comfortable to go entire drives or even quarters/halves without much of a run game. They really are one of the only teams in the league that can telegraph the fact that they are passing for an entire drive and still make a good defense look silly.

3) I have seen Fasano and he looks like a keeper. NE had a similar type 4 receiver offense but they had to put their Fasano-type guy on IR. Either way, as long as NE can slow down the run with only committing 6 guys they will be harder to exploit than most teams. NE has 3 cover CBs who can all play outside and slot, they have two good cover Safeties and two good SS's. Add to that Thomas and they have the personel to take on multi-receiver sets whether those receivers are WRs or TEs. If you can force Tedy Bruschi or Seau into coverage, that is where you will have the best potential for a mismatch.

4) As you said, Dallas' defense will come down to their pressure. Despite popular opinion, Brady *can* be rattled a little if he takes a few licks, but so far no one has been able to get near him consistently. Nothing against Dallas, but I don't expect them to be the first unless NE's C, Koppen, misses the game. That OL has been playing up to all-time great standards so far this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back