PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No one is talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1. Revis performance against the Broncos. He got beat 2 or 3 times on one of the Broncos first drives. I think he gave up 55 yards on that drive alone. And that was it for pretty much the entire game. After that drive, he shut everything down. You barely saw him or heard him much at all after the Broncos second drive of the game, and that's always a good thing for a CB. Having Revis and Browner made a huge difference in this game. I thought he played great and watching the re-play, he had tight coverage and Peyton didn't throw his way at all as the game went on.

2. The defensive gameplan. Credit Belichick and Patricia. It was obvious how they wanted to attack Peyton. Lots of blitzes and pressure UP THE MIDDLE. It's the same thing that can affect Brady, but this is one of the first times I've seen anyone successfully do it to Peyton in a long time.

We have the perfect LB's to run that game plan. Hightower and Collins are both amazing at blitzing up the middle, and they executed very well on Sunday. Collins in particular had some strong blitzes, throwing the blocking RB aside, which pressured Peyton and made him feel uncomfortable early in the game. Even Akeem Ayers sack on 4th down (crucial play in the game) came on a stunt where he rushed inside. They also faked the blitz up the middle a lot, and then dropped into coverage, getting into Peyton's head.

Another part of the game plan was straight up being physical with the Broncos offense. I saw it happen at least 3 or 4 times in the game, when a receiver caught a short pass and went to the ground, Jamie Collins would deliver a BIG HIT as they were on the ground. That's one way to make them hear footsteps. Their was one point when it happened to Emmanuel Sanders and he even got up and said something to Collins. I like seeing big hits laid on receivers who go to the ground, rather than defensive players just jogging over and touching them with two hands to down them.

I believe it was a distinct part of the game plan as I don't remember seeing Collins doing this very often before. And I have no problem with it. It's not dirty. It doesn't cause injuries. The intent isn't to hurt people. It just roughs them up and let's them know they're not getting any easy catches without being hit.

3. Brandon Browner's first penalty on 3rd down. He played the ball nicely and swatted it away in the end zone. I thought it was a very ticky tacky penalty. Should've made it 4th down and the Broncos would've kicked a FG. Instead the Broncos got a first down and then Hillman scored on the next play. It led to the Broncos first TD and they went up 7-3 at that point.

3. Brandon Browner's first penalty on 3rd down. He played the ball nicely and swatted it away in the end zone. I thought it was a very ticky tacky penalty. Should've made it 4th down and the Broncos would've kicked a FG. Instead the Broncos got a first down and then Hillman scored on the next play. It led to the Broncos first TD and they went up 7-3 at that point.

If you think no one was talking about this, you clearly missed the gameday thread. :)

Revis is world class. I love him on this team.

I really wish I knew someone close to him. I'd LOVE to hear a real answer (meaning not a political one) on how he likes playing winning football with a HoF QB and coach on a team that's crushing everybody.

This is a huge change for Revis. Granted the 2009 and 2010 Jet teams were really good, he's never played in a situation remotely similar to this. He's such a fiery competitor, just like Tom. He just HAS to love this.

Big games. Big match ups. High stakes football. His performance is helping to lay the bricks for a championship here, not just give him individual pride.

Extend this beast

If you think no one was talking about this, you clearly missed the gameday thread. :)

I don't follow game day threads usually. Reading/writing while watching a game kind of kills my buzz.

4. Gostkowski. 49, 29, 45. Auto-friggin'-matic, except when the holder fumbles the snap.

This is a huge change for Revis. Granted the 2009 and 2010 Jet teams were really good, he's never played in a situation remotely similar to this. He's such a fiery competitor, just like Tom. He just HAS to love this.

Big games. Big match ups. High stakes football.

I think that's inaccurate.

Revis HAS played in big games, big match ups, high stakes…. that's what makes him even more valuable. He's been there before and has the experience. Let's not act like he was on the Raiders for the past 8 years and never played in a big game. Every Jets vs. Pats game was huge in those years and he was matched up on a prime Randy Moss or prime Wes Welker. The division rivalry was very competitive, and we played those guys 3 times a year.

He was also a big part of that playoff run when the Jets surprised everyone and beat the Patriots and Colts in the same year. He's been to 2 AFCCG, so he knows what he's playing for.

They don't call this penalty and someone picked up Hillman coming out of the backfield on Denver's last TD the game would have been 43-10

4. Gostkowski. 49, 29, 45. Auto-friggin'-matic, except when the holder fumbles the snap.

Should be 100% on the year but friggen Aiken had to mess up a snap.

2. The defensive gameplan. Credit Belichick and Patricia. It was obvious how they wanted to attack Peyton. Lots of blitzes and pressure UP THE MIDDLE. It's the same thing that can affect Brady, but this is one of the first times I've seen anyone successfully do it to Peyton in a long time.

This is actually a myth debunked for this game, which is even better in my opinion. The defense was disguised but rarely if ever sent more than 4. They weren't blitzing they just never keyed off where they were coming from.

Here is Bruschi's words from his mailbag:

Q. TB 54, I feel like we're blitzing a lot, which may mean we can't generate pressure up front. I like Ayers and his pressure, along withDominique Easley. Do you think this is more a product of life withoutChandler Jones or do you see it continuing when he comes back? -- James (Cleveland, Ohio)

A. They didn't blitz at all, really. I can see how it might have looked that way, but it rarely happened. When a linebacker rushes the passer off the line of scrimmage, it's considered a blitz. But for me, it's more about the numbers. And the numbers were always four last night, and it was just a matter of where they came from. If Hightower rushed, Ninkovich dropped back. If an on-the-line player stayed on the line of scrimmage, it was only because he had the RB man-to-man. They do those schemes to fool Manning, so I can understand how someone can be fooled watching on TV. You are right -- scheming and disguising where the four-man pressure is coming from is a result of not being able to line up and just rush Chandler Jones off the edge. You don't have that talent right now. So how do you compensate? In the Halloween spirit, you play a little trick or treat.

If we can do what we did to a QB of Manning's caliber of not taking sacks or hits and rarely being moved off of his spot with only 3 or 4, color me impressed.

The only downside is that it sounds like it was a gameplan specifically for him and we won't see it too often as to either hide it or the coaching staff believing it only works against Manning, which sounds odd.

Revis is world class. I love him on this team.

I really wish I knew someone close to him. I'd LOVE to hear a real answer (meaning not a political one) on how he likes playing winning football with a HoF QB and coach on a team that's crushing everybody.

Big games. Big match ups. High stakes football. His performance is helping to lay the bricks for a championship here, not just give him individual pride.

Extend this beast

Someone forward this to Revis. It has to speak for something to play on an ORGANIZED, winning, and respected team. I would hope if he's lucky enough to hold up the Lombardi, he would understand that he can't get that feeling anywhere.

I'd love to see Revis and Browner at CB, while upgrading the front 7 in the draft for several years

I think that's inaccurate.

Revis HAS played in big games, big match ups, high stakes…. that's what makes him even more valuable. He's been there before and has the experience. Let's not act like he was on the Raiders for the past 8 years and never played in a big game. Every Jets vs. Pats game was huge in those years and he was matched up on a prime Randy Moss or prime Wes Welker. The division rivalry was very competitive, and we played those guys 3 times a year.

He was also a big part of that playoff run when the Jets surprised everyone and beat the Patriots and Colts in the same year. He's been to 2 AFCCG, so he knows what he's playing for.

The difference is the difference between the Jets and the Patriots.

The difference is the difference between the Jets and the Patriots.
Another difference is during breaks in practice, the Patriots players and coaches have water/energy drinks.

In Jets camp, they treat it like a JetBlue flight with bare-footed girls walking around with snack baskets full of Doritos and Snickers bars.

Here is Bruschi's words from his mailbag:
"When a linebacker rushes the passer off the line of scrimmage, it's considered a blitz. But for me, it's more about the numbers"

Bruschi has his own definition of blitzing.

Hightower and Collins are LB's who play off the LOS. So yeah, they were blitzing up the middle.

"When a linebacker rushes the passer off the line of scrimmage, it's considered a blitz. But for me, it's more about the numbers"

Bruschi has his own definition of blitzing.

Hightower and Collins are LB's who play off the LOS. So yeah, they were blitzing up the middle.

Generally I always thought most agreed it was about the numbers, 3-4 is standard and bringing a 5th is generally accepted as a blitz. I've never cared about where they come from just the ability to bring it home with as few as possible.

If the team rushes 4 and drops 7 I don't consider that a blitz even if the DE/OLB is dropping and the ILB is coming up the middle.

Generally I always thought most agreed it was about the numbers, 3-4 is standard and bringing a 5th is generally accepted as a blitz.

We can argue about definitions all day. But generally when a LB is off the LOS and rushes, it's considered a blitz. Bruschi said that himself.

Either way, its a moot point and will just depend on what terminology you use. Whether you want to say they were "blitzing" or "rushing" up the middle, the original point still remains. They schemed to get pressure UP THE MIDDLE and it worked

Generally I always thought most agreed it was about the numbers, 3-4 is standard and bringing a 5th is generally accepted as a blitz. I've never cared about where they come from just the ability to bring it home with as few as possible.

If the team rushes 4 and drops 7 I don't consider that a blitz even if the DE/OLB is dropping and the ILB is coming up the middle.

Manning himself corrected a reporter who called a three man rush with a LB coming up the middle a "blitz."

It all reminds me of the playoff game against the Colts where Ty and Rodney were switching back and forth. I don't think I've felt this good about the Pats defense since then.

Yeah, I agree with that. A very weak call. I expect they would have let it go if it had been Revis in coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back