PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL trade deadline looms…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
With the NFL trade deadline just 10 days from now do you expect any activity by the Patriots? Given all the devastating injury’s we clearly have holes that need filling, the question really is whether we need to look outside to find the a player.

Big names rumored to be on the market:

Hakeem Nicks WR – Giants
Josh Gordon WR – Browns
Kenny Britt WR – Titans
Justin Tuck DE – Giants
Maurice Jones-Drew – Jaguars
Jaruis Byrd FS – Bills
Tony Gonzalez TE – Falcons
Antonio Smith DE/DT – Texans

Here is one trade scenario offered by Walter Football involving us:

"Patriots to acquire WR Josh Gordon from Browns for 2nd-round pick
Josh Gordon doesn't have an expiring contract, so he would command much more in return than Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks. He's very talented, so if the Browns are truly in rebuilding mode, they may think about trading their No. 1 receiver because they can acquire a lucrative selection for him.

Michael Lombardi and Bill Belichick are good friends, so perhaps they could strike a deal. If you've watched any New England games this season, you know how desperate Tom Brady is for a reliable receiver."

If there are other names I did not mention please post them.

Tom Brady
About as much validity as everyone else on your list.
I particularly love the "Belichick knows the GM so this enhances the likelihood" scenario.
Has Walter Football become the authority for mock trades now?

This team is fine receiver wise with the rooks, Edelman, collie and amendola. Gronk and Hooman can fill the TE role. I would be hoping we can find a defensive tackle. It's really the only glaring hole. Linebacker I think is fine, secondary is fine, offense will be fine. We can't predict injuries, but I think a run stopping DT might be needed. But honestly, this team is in pretty set IMO. If we improve each week and get healthy at the right time, this team can do wonders.

Call me a homer, but I am impressed with the rookie DT's and the fact that this team is not in a bad position with these injuries.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we don't trade for anyone. We have a great team right now.

MJD? really? who the hell reported that?

On that Gordon trade, he has too much baggage, so no thanks.

Of that list, I see Nicks, Byrd, and Britt as the most likeliest guys to be moved by the deadline. Doesn't mean they will be, but they definitely have the highest chance to be IMO.

With the NFL trade deadline just 10 days from now do you expect any activity by the Patriots? Given all the devastating injury’s we clearly have holes that need filling, the question really is whether we need to look outside to find the a player.

Hakeem Nicks WR – Giants
Josh Gordon WR – Browns
Kenny Britt WR – Titans
Justin Tuck DE – Giants
Jaruis Byrd FS – Bills

Josh Gordon doesn't have an expiring contract, so he would command much more in return than Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks. He's very talented, so if the Browns are truly in rebuilding mode, they may think about trading their No. 1 receiver because they can acquire a lucrative selection for him.

Michael Lombardi and Bill Belichick are good friends, so perhaps they could strike a deal. If you've watched any New England games this season, you know how desperate Tom Brady is for a reliable receiver."

This is hilarious because half of these have been confirmed NOT on the trade market, such as Nicks, Gonzalez, Gordon, all 100% denied by coaches/GMs.

This is hilarious because half of these have been confirmed NOT on the trade market, such as Nicks, Gonzalez, Gordon, all 100% denied by coaches/GMs.

Of course. Look who started the thread.

Coach/GM speak doesn't always equal reality. Also, Nicks while not outright on the trade market, the Giants will still listen to offers.

Meaning that just because a team announces that X player isn't on the trade market, that doesn't automatically mean they won't still trade X player.

A perfect example of this was the Percy Harvin situation. Their GM was adamant that he wasn't on the trade block only to trade him less than a month later. The reason why they chose that tactic was because they would lose leverage if they just advertised that said player was on the trading block.

Walter Football is a fantastic place if you're looking for a large quantity of football information. It is not somewhere you go for quality, especially when talking about the Pats.

There is little drama to this deadline. This article sums up why nicely, but players cannot typically transplant from one team to another and contribute quickly.

And I cannot see MJD on the market. Smart teams do not get desperate and open up the coffers for a player, and bad teams do not tend to do fires sales that unload existing talent that can be used in rebuilding unless those contracts are prohibitively expensive (smart teams don't enter into dumb contracts, and certainly don't want to assume them).

Just cannot see the Pats doing player rentals or paying a high price for a trade (if a solid player is thrown at the Pats on the cheap, sure). That smacks of desperate acts that hurt the future of the team. I suspect BB is more likely to be the Cowboys trading Herschel Walker for all those picks than the Vikings sending those picks to the Cowboys for a player.

Re: Re: NFL trade deadline looms…

Someone who graduated high school so they know what the definition for the word rumored is?

Your value to this message board is just unparalleled, if it wasn't for your approach to posting none of us would have a tangible example of what violating the forum rules is.

I said rumored which they all are, not that it really matters because anyone who paid attention in freshman English could comprehend discussion was not asking if we'd trade for any of those players but instead asking if the Patriots would be active prior to the deadline.

I included names which I premised with the word "rumored" in order add context which is a common thing to include when presenting a question to an audience.

Someone who graduated high school so they know what the definition for the word rumored is?

Even high school graduates know the difference between versus and verses.

Re: Re: NFL trade deadline looms…

Even high school graduates know the difference between versus and verses.

What is your purpose in this thread other than to make demeaning comments toward me?

ALL those players have been rumoured to be on the block. There's nothing controversial in what Brady6 had to say.

1) The Browns aren't in rebuilding mode.

2) We don't need a wide receiver.

Hakeem Nicks WR – Giants
Josh Gordon WR – Browns
Kenny Britt WR – Titans
Justin Tuck DE – Giants
Jaruis Byrd FS – Bills

Tom Brady
About as much validity as everyone else on your list.
I particularly love the "Belichick knows the GM so this enhances the likelihood" scenario.
Has Walter Football become the authority for mock trades now?

Two words. Greg. Schiano.

ALL those players have been rumoured to be on the block. There's nothing controversial in what Brady6 had to say.

Except it's NOT a rumor that those rumors were false.

When a rumor is proven to be innacurate why keep playing along as if it isn't? Granted, this is assuming you take the coaches/GM's word for it in saying they are NOT on the blocks.

Except it's NOT a rumor that those rumors were false.

When a rumor is proven to be innacurate why keep playing along as if it isn't? Granted, this is assuming you take the coaches/GM's word for it in saying they are NOT on the blocks.

This.

10 char

I think it silly to say that certainly players are "not on the block". Would we take 2 firsts for McCourty? We probably would. How about 2 firsts and 2 seconds?

Unless we are talking about franchise quarterbacks, almost every player is available for a price. Perhaps, it might be said that these players are not available for a price that teams would consider paying.

I think it silly to say that certainly players are "not on the block". Would we take 2 firsts for McCourty? We probably would. How about 2 firsts and 2 seconds?

Unless we are talking about franchise quarterbacks, almost every player is available for a price. Perhaps, it might be said that these players are not available for a price that teams would consider paying.

But, you're naming prices that none of the other 32 teams would pay, which essentially means he's off the blocks (remember, Al Davis passed away).

Sure, anyone could be had for a price, but if noone is going to pay that price, they aren't REALLY available in anything but theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back