PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL trade deadline looms…

Status
Not open for further replies.
After first couple weeks, I would have said a WR but I am not as worried about that area any more. However, I think we need another competent body in DT and that's our only area of need really.

If the Patriots were going to trade for someone they would have done it by now. Moving forward, it'll be practise squad players and waiver wire pick ups, much to our chagrin.

If the Patriots were going to trade for someone they would have done it by now. Moving forward, it'll be practise squad players and waiver wire pick ups, much to our chagrin.

Didn't Talib come here at the trade deadline last season?

I would agree a defensive lineman would be great, but the guys on the list are not DTs. Justin Tuck, who is in a contract year, is a rental at best. It also would be conceding defeat, despite the fact the NCF East is horrible and a playoff shot is far from a distant possibility there. Antonio Smith is also in a contract year and a rental. The Texans have been lousy so far, but that would also be throwing in the towel at game 7 for a team with good talent.

If I were looking to trade for a DT, I would look at the backups to the teams here. Some teams just seem to have a better sense of a position (Pats seemed to do well with linemen, offensive and defensive, for a while, as well as salvage project linebackers). If the backups are luxury items behind high-priced starters, maybe there would be something to be had. Again, I tend to think there is no trade the Pats would accept at this point.

I'd be more than happy for Schiano to send the Patriots Gerald McCoy for a 4th round pick. ;)

I'd be more than happy for Schiano to send the Patriots Gerald McCoy for a 4th round pick. ;)

I'm sure he would be too. Wouldn't have to worry about Mr.Brady not giving him enough time to line up anymore.

He did, but that trade was unique circumstances (TB was not thrilled with him (coming off a suspension), he was not coming back to TB, his talent level made him a worthy gamble for the Pats with low risk). It can happen, but name the last significant in season trade made by the Pats in BB's tenure before Talib?

The Patriots trade more than most NFL teams. Even then only once every 2 or 3 years and not always the recipient. They dealt Moss away at the deadline.

They are getting Vereen back. Collie and Amendola count as 1/2 each because there's a 50/50 chance they'll be hurt. Thompkins and Dobson look better and better though the road has had ups and downs. Add Gronk back in this week and we can get by on offense.

If we trade for anything it will be help on defense and I kind of doubt that we will do that, except maybe for a CB or S depending on their opinion of Talib's injury which we aren't privy to. It would be great if Marquice Cole would get healthy as we'll be playing with Dennard, Arrington, and Ryan. If anyone goes down, not sure what else to do except move McCourty back to CB and play Duron Harmon. Talib is the guy they'll miss the most and might cause them to look for reinforcements.

Agree with mostly everyone here. I think we are fine with our WRs but it would definitely be nice to get another dominant DT.

Re: Re: NFL trade deadline looms…

He would be a great pickup but we'd owe a prorated portion of his $11 mil cap hit this season and his 2014 cap hit is around $13 mil.

In terms of pressing needs, they need a middle LB first followed by a DT. I don't see teams trading away a quality LB or DT since they're hard to come by. If they did they would typically be dealing away a player who is toward the backend of his career versus a young up and comer. Don't see them making a move for a WR unless Amendola is going to be out for a while and Collie or Boyce can't fill the void.

He would be a great pickup but we'd owe a prorated portion of his $11 mil cap hit this season and his 2014 cap hit is around $13 mil.
Extension, extension, extension. The reality suggests it's a pie in the sky proposition at best but hey, why not dream?

Extension, extension, extension. The reality suggests it's a pie in the sky proposition at best but hey, why not dream?

To be honest he was the player I had in mind when I opened this thread, I think he would be a great pickup and I could envision Tampa trading him.

I think Gonzalez might refuse to play if traded, he's one of the great professionals in the league today, but, he SEEMS like he only came back to win a superbowl WITH Atlanta, not some random team after Atlanta ruined their season.

Gonzo would only want to go to kC. KC is on a holy quest to thwart Satan Manning. I'd like Gonzo to go home.

I'm not sure how the whole Tony Gonzalez rumor thing got started, but I would think the chances of him going anywhere would be slim and none.

ATL had to do everything in their power to lure him back as it was, so I would think that he'd simply retire myself.

To be honest he was the player I had in mind when I opened this thread, I think he would be a great pickup and I could envision Tampa trading him.
I was hoping Cleveland would continue to lose in an attempt to encourage the Browns to trade Phil Taylor to the Patriots for Ryan Mallett and an exchange of Cassel for a pick to the Vikings. Deus Irae's suggestion elsewhere was a damn fine one.

I was hoping Cleveland would continue to lose in an attempt to encourage the Browns to trade Phil Taylor to the Patriots for Ryan Mallett and an exchange of Cassel for a pick to the Vikings. Deus Irae's suggestion elsewhere was a damn fine one.

While I agree that either Hoyer or Cassel would have been the only real candidates for our backup QB situation, I'm not quite as confident myself as you and many others on the current 2013 version of Matt Cassel.

We all know that he knows the scheme here etc, but I really doubt that he could have the patience and ability to deal with players who are a far ways off from 2008's Welker and Moss, let alone the rookies that we have now.

On top of that, I don't know about you--but Cassel seems to have lost a ton of confidence from what he was here in 2008. Of course it's possible that some of that was due to the poor talent on the KC and MIN squads too, if not the main reasoning. It's certainly debatable though.

I'm not sure how the whole Tony Gonzalez rumor thing got started, but I would think the chances of him going anywhere would be slim and none.

ATL had to do everything in their power to lure him back as it was, so I would think that he'd simply retire myself.

My only thought is if he plans to retire after this season he would likely want a shot at a SB ring and given Atlanta is 1-4 in a very competitive NFC.

While I agree that either Hoyer or Cassel would have been the only real candidates for our backup QB situation, I'm not quite as confident myself as you and many others on the current 2013 version of Matt Cassel.

We all know that he knows the scheme here etc, but I really doubt that he could have the patience and ability to deal with players who are a far ways off from 2008's Welker and Moss, let alone the rookies that we have now.

On top of that, I don't know about you--but Cassel seems to have lost a ton of confidence from what he was here in 2008. Of course it's possible that some of that was due to the poor talent on the KC and MIN squads too, if not the main reasoning. It's certainly debatable though.
Outside of something horrendous happening to Brady, Cassel wouldn't see the field. He'd be as visible as Mallett's status determines.

I think sometimes people here think Cassel was better than he really was in 2008 ....yes,we could of had worse back then at QB,but Cassel was just serviceable and nothing much else to write home about.

I think its amazing that some fans seem to forget or ignore the fact that Cassel inherited a good portion of a team that had gone 18-1 the season before,when you have 80% coming back after a dominant season and possibly one of the top 3 teams of all time its hard to totally ruin the next season no matter how mediocre of a QB you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back