PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Total Access: Schefter reports on Branch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

miDeuce

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Schefter said on tonights Total Access that his latest scoop is that Deion is completely prepared to sit out until week 10. I thought Brady's SI stunt was gonna be the thing that brought the two sides back to the table. But alas here we are, Training Camp done and Deion has yet to show. I'm really getting frustrated now. If he sits out until week 10 I say we slap the franchise tag on him. He's under contract, the Patriots showed they were willing to negotiate in good faith and Deion walked away. The thought of getting him for less than half the games this season then watching him sign somewhere else for some insane amount is making me sick. Seems like the only ones who Deion is sticking it to now is us the fans. I hope this is nothing but more posturing. Hopefully it's another chance for them to go back to negotiating.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pats may fine him..so he'll be playing for little money this year...I also think if he does that, teams may realize he is trouble..does anyone know of a player sitting out like that and how his FA was a few months later??? My gut tells me he does it and is inative the rest of the year..OR..is IRed...GONE!! Franchise?? Why?? He doesn't wish to play here...so??

Step away from the ledge and ask yourself if his leverage (what little he has) increases if he says he'll certainly be playing in game one. He HAS to say, or at least let it be rumored, that he's willing to sit out, regardless of whether he is.

PatsFan37 said:
Step away from the ledge and ask yourself if his leverage (what little he has) increases if he says he'll certainly be playing in game one. He HAS to say, or at least let it be rumored, that he's willing to sit out, regardless of whether he is.

I realize that. Just sick of the posturing. Let's get this guy back on the field where he belongs.

If he sits out to week 10 he will be cutting off his nose to spite his face. In that case he is an a**hole and a moron.

Moreso than unfair to the fans I think this is unfair to his teammates. Most of them are busting their butts, doing everything in their power to try to reach the promised land, then theirs this little brat who is deliberately sabotaging all the team is working for. Deion's saying "fu** you, I want my extra two or three million a year and I don't give a sh** about how that affects you," to his teammates.

As we've said before, he's just tossing aside about $1M between fines and gamechecks because this changes his status ZERO at the end of the year.

If he does sit out until week 10, I would make him only do punt return and kick return duty without any practice.

Willie55 said:
If he does sit out until week 10, I would make him only do punt return and kick return duty without any practice.
KR maybe, we saw him try to return a punt in the '04 opener against Indy and it wasn't pretty :D

Pats726 said:
The Pats may fine him..so he'll be playing for little money this year...I also think if he does that, teams may realize he is trouble..does anyone know of a player sitting out like that and how his FA was a few months later??? My gut tells me he does it and is inative the rest of the year..OR..is IRed...GONE!! Franchise?? Why?? He doesn't wish to play here...so??

Because the teams needs to show that throwing a tantrum will not be rewarding to their players. If he goes somewhere else and signs for big money after not honoring his contract then he wins. The team needs to send the message that a contract is LEGALLY BINDING, and its entire purpose is to ensure that regardless of future situations, THIS IS GOING TO BE WHAT HAPPENS, not this is going to be what happens if you feel like it.

Contracts are becoming totally pointless and jokes in the NFL as a player can not honor them if they don't feel like it, with relatively little consequences. If a team cuts a player he has to recieve the remainder pre-determined guaranteed money. What if a team cut a player and said "we think you were overpaid based on your performance, so we don't feel like payinig you the rest of this moeny that we both previously agreed we would." I don't understand why the franchise must honor the contract, at least in terms of payment of guaranteed money, but players don't have to honor them in terms of guaranteed years.

Last edited:
miDeuce said:
Schefter said on tonights Total Access that his latest scoop is that Deion is completely prepared to sit out until week 10. I thought Brady's SI stunt was gonna be the thing that brought the two sides back to the table. But alas here we are, Training Camp done and Deion has yet to show. I'm really getting frustrated now. If he sits out until week 10 I say we slap the franchise tag on him. He's under contract, the Patriots showed they were willing to negotiate in good faith and Deion walked away. The thought of getting him for less than half the games this season then watching him sign somewhere else for some insane amount is making me sick. Seems like the only ones who Deion is sticking it to now is us the fans. I hope this is nothing but more posturing. Hopefully it's another chance for them to go back to negotiating.
Adam schefter also reported that javon walker was in new england for physicals during the draft days. he has been incorrect in the past also.All this is "sources" who have to other "sources" and so on...i would give it some more time before this situation becomes bad.

Pats726 said:

Keenan McCardell a few years ago and he made out just fine. Listen, I'm with you guys on Branch but we are being Niave if we think a team won't give him a big contract if he sits out. T.O. got $10 guaranteed. Enough said. Teams will always pay money for talent, no matter what.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
T.O. got $10 guaranteed. Enough said.

Now THERE'S money well spent!

SVN said:
Adam schefter also reported that javon walker was in new england for physicals during the draft days. he has been incorrect in the past also.All this is "sources" who have to other "sources" and so on...i would give it some more time before this situation becomes bad.

And of course agents never manipulate the media to create traction for their clients when they really have little...;)

"According to our sources Ty Law is being seriously persued by at least a dozen teams."

Last edited:
Yeah ... franchise him next year. He probably won't sign the deal so let him
sit until after June some time then withdraw the offer. Then let him try to get big money when most teams have already spent it.

OR ...

The amount they have to pay a franchised player is pretty much determined
but there maybe some laguage they can put in the offer that will make it
tough on Deion if he signs and doesn't show up.

If he refuses to sign he sits for a year without pay.

Whatever PATs can do to make it real tough on Deion they should do ...
.. even if it cost them bucks to do it ..no mercy ...
so players in the future know this kind of behavior will not work with the PATs.

I like Deion but he is very wrong in what he is doing.

Lesson to be learned:
"Be very suspicious of people who smile at you like Deion does."

Last edited:
zippo59 said:
And of course agents never manipulate the media to create traction for their clients when they really have little...;)

"According to our sources Ty Law is being seriously persued by at least a dozen teams."

Technically, that report was correct. Ten of the teams happened to have been YMCA's.

If Branch misses ONE regular season game because of this moronic holdout, he will be on my sh!t list forever.

Tunescribe said:
If Branch misses ONE regular season game because of this moronic holdout, he will be on my sh!t list forever.
Unfortunately it seems like he is making more and more of those each day.

I wouldn't be surprised if BB cuts Branch before the start of the season. What would be the cap hit if we did that BTW? Deion is becoming such a distraction and annoyance that BB may just pull the trigger a la Lawyer Milloy in '03. It's a shame it's come to this.

Seymour93 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if BB cuts Branch before the start of the season.
He'd trade him first. Even if we only got 1/3 value, it would be better than cutting him. He's a different case than Milloy, making less money and younger so he'd be easily tradeable if it came to that.

Seymour93 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if BB cuts Branch before the start of the season. What would be the cap hit if we did that BTW? Deion is becoming such a distraction and annoyance that BB may just pull the trigger a la Lawyer Milloy in '03. It's a shame it's come to this.
Ugh...that would cause much anger for me since it would be in their better interests to trade him away and get something valuable in return for a player so cheap this season who is just looking for a contract. The Patriots would at least get back a 2nd round pick. But i'm willing to bet some teams would shell out a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes