PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Total Access: Schefter reports on Branch..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deion is getting some bad advice but it his call ultimately, so the blame must rest on Branch for being a fool. Sitting out until game 10 virtually gaurantees that he will not get a new contract and that he will be franchised. The Pats are not going to cave and lose their leverage after a player pouts away most of a season, that's for sure. So his little manuever will cost him two seasons of a new contract ( since the one the Pats offered him would have started this year) with NO BONUS MONEY since franchised players only get salary. Not to mention how it will harm his rep as a team player. Bad, bad move Twig.

zippo59 said:
Contracts are becoming totally pointless and jokes in the NFL as a player can not honor them if they don't feel like it, with relatively little consequences. If a team cuts a player he has to recieve the remainder pre-determined guaranteed money. What if a team cut a player and said "we think you were overpaid based on your performance, so we don't feel like payinig you the rest of this moeny that we both previously agreed we would." I don't understand why the franchise must honor the contract, at least in terms of payment of guaranteed money, but players don't have to honor them in terms of guaranteed years.

When it's YOUR team you can so easily ignore all the shady stuff that goes the other way around. I was under the impression that once you're cut, you're done except for your signing bonus which for most players isn't much. I'm not even sure if they actually recieve that bonus money or whether it's just a penalty against the cap for the team (like the Dallas Cowboys salary problems of a few years back). The franchise doesn't have to honor anything, that's why they step into these 7 year $X-amount contracts because they don't plan on living up their part EITHER.

You can't have it be "oh it's just business" and then turn around when it's not to your advantage and go "But what about loyalty?!". Some fans are just plain ignorant. That and the whole "I don't make a million over the course of my life" argument... that's just plain stupid. If you want an analogy, go to work and find out the guy who does your same job at the same level of performance is making 5 times as much and try and say "hey I still make good enough money". The average NFL career is only what? 5 years or less? You only have a limited time to make your money.

I know we're all Patriots fan, but to the other guy in a post above. I don't see how Branch owes Patriots fans anything. At your job over at Frito Lay, when you quit, you don't owe me anything because my favorite chips are the Honey BBQ Flavor Twist Fritos. I just root for the jersey.

PatsFan37 said:
Step away from the ledge and ask yourself if his leverage (what little he has) increases if he says he'll certainly be playing in game one. He HAS to say, or at least let it be rumored, that he's willing to sit out, regardless of whether he is.

My thoughts exactly. Its like a little kid saying they're going to hold their breath until they get an ice cream - eventually the kid is going to exhale, the parents know this, and guess what? Still no ice cream.

EDIT: I don't think Deion can take the risk of holding out during the regular season and the Pats actually winning a good pct of their games- what if they're 6-2 or 7-1 by Week 10? That would just mean Branch is not vital to their success and the FA value would go WAY down. If he came back he would appear to be hopping the bandwagon. Don't forget about David Givens either- if he isn't performing like a $25m receiver (which he NEVER has and probably NEVER will), teams will catch on quick that NE's receivers aren't as valuable in a different uniform - double whammy for poor Deion.

Last edited:
orinally posted by RI Pats Fan:
You can't have it be "oh it's just business" and then turn around when it's not to your advantage and go "But what about loyalty?!". Some fans are just plain ignorant. That and the whole "I don't make a million over the course of my life" argument... that's just plain stupid. If you want an analogy, go to work and find out the guy who does your same job at the same level of performance is making 5 times as much and try and say "hey I still make good enough money". The average NFL career is only what? 5 years or less? You only have a limited time to make your money

He signed a friggin' contract. If he wasn't under contract, good riddance to him, let him go where he wants to. But he still has one year left.

And dont start that argument that teams can cut anybodywhen they want. It was his organization, the NFLPA, that COLLECTIVELY bargained this system.

Last edited:
JR4 said:
Yeah ... franchise him next year. He probably won't sign the deal so let him
sit until after June some time then withdraw the offer. Then let him try to get big money when most teams have already spent it.
Why would Branch not sign the franchise tender?? It guarantees him at least $7.5 million for the 2007 season. He is not going to do a sign and trade if he is not going to get at least that from his new trade. Branch plays for the Pats for the 2007 season and then gets a double-digit signing bonus from another team in 2008. He will get in 3 years close to what the Pats offered him for 4 years.

As for teams having spent most of the big money by June, 2007 Branch only needs one team in need of a receiver to get big money.

RI Pats Fan said:
That and the whole "I don't make a million over the course of my life" argument... that's just plain stupid. If you want an analogy, go to work and find out the guy who does your same job at the same level of performance is making 5 times as much and try and say "hey I still make good enough money". The average NFL career is only what? 5 years or less? You only have a limited time to make your money.
Sorry..but when you try to analogize with what the average person makes it is JUST plain dumb!! apples and oranges my friend..every player in he NFL should think long and hard about what they do...and what they would be doing if football wasn't a large national interest. Let them have a real job and see about things..I think many do understand how totally lucky they are.. Comparisons don''t make it at all..these players are in the top 1% of all salaries..so please don't try to think it is at all the same with the average worker.

This is still a non story until labor Day.

All Schefter did was report the same thing Banks said last week on WEEI. All they are reporting is the only thing that Branch's camp can say at this point. What exactly could they say otherwise - "We are prepared to sit out the preseason"? And the Pats would care why? The only way to potentially make them care is to threaten to sit half the year.

Also, we need to stop taking the emotional reactions of fans and making their feelings BB and SPs feelings. There is a zero chance they will cut Branch. That would be emotional and stupid.

It is nothing like Milloy. Milloy was a non-productive player they thought was overpaid. Branch is a very productive player who is essentially unpaid while he holds out.

THEARCHIVES said:
If he sits out until week 10 then I guanetee you that this will be his last year with the team. The Pats will not wan't to resign a guy who cares more about his contract then his team.

Here's my question: If he ends his holdout in week 10, are the Patriots obligated to put him on the active roster and play him? That's a long time to be away from football. Even if he's staying in shape, he won't be in "game" condition and his timing will be off.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what's being said.

Listening to rumors and reports (while it IS all we have) is probably not going to give us an accurate account of what's going on behind the scenes.

That being said, I don't know why on Earth branch would hold out until week 10! Maybe he's scared he will get hurt? He will lose a lot of money, and still gets franchised next year. I would imagine holding out until week 10 would pretty much mean he is done with the Pats. I would guess we would get a second round pick for him. I don't think, considering his actions and ability (probably not considered a top 10-15 reciever) that we could get a first for him. If he doesn't sign, we should be able to absorb the CAP hit for franchising him. Yes, he makes great money for one year, but he doesn't have any security. An off year, a major injury, and it kills him as a FA. I am sure (despite his actions) he would much rather sign a long term contract.

The point that the team can not give into everyone's demands and remain a good team on the field cannot be overstated. The team has got to show that players cannot have tantrums and be rewarded. On the other hand, being vindictive and hurting the player sends the wrong message also. Yes, he should be fined and franchised next year, but I don't think the team should go out of its way just to hurt his career. What message does that send to the players? It's not a positive one that's for sure. The Patriots are a class organization, and it should not stray from that.

One more thing, I wonder how his teammates will view him if he holds out until week 10. Right now it seems they are being understanding, but if he abandons them when the games start to count, how will they feel. I can't help but think some of them will not be too happy with him. More than the fans or the management, he will be screwing over his teammates with a long holdout. No one may say anything publicly, but I would be interested in knowing how the locker room felt about it.

Miguel said:
Why would Branch not sign the franchise tender?? It guarantees him at least $7.5 million for the 2007 season. He is not going to do a sign and trade if he is not going to get at least that from his new trade. Branch plays for the Pats for the 2007 season and then gets a double-digit signing bonus from another team in 2008. He will get in 3 years close to what the Pats offered him for 4 years.

As for teams having spent most of the big money by June, 2007 Branch only needs one team in need of a receiver to get big money.

You are absolutely correct .... IF Branch were a rational man.

But what rational man is willing to not live up to his contract,
say he doesn't want to be franchised ( even wanted PATs to agree to it),
and is willing to throw away hundreds of thousands of dollars because
PATs offered him a deal only worth 19+ Million over 3 years?

zippo59 said:
I would to the Pack or Lions. That way he would burn in football, hell.
Yeah trade him to the Lions. That would be unbelievable if the lions traded for him. very funny.

The funniest part is his agent wanting the guarantee not to be franchised next year.

Franchising, for Branch, would be like winning the lottery! Being paid the average of the top 5 WR's for him would be ludicrously great. On his best day, he is somewhere between the 12th and 24th best receiver in the league. One year at top 5 average salary with the following year another opportunity to go FA should be this guy's dream. .........or perhaps Chayut is using reverse psychology?

Franchising Branch would be the stupidest thing the New England Patriots have ever done......and that includes all the way back to 1960. My guess is the reason why BB/Pioli have not yet agreed to the promise not to franchise is because they aren't able to stop laughing long enough to gurgle out a "yes" to Chayut.

Last edited:
Franchising Branch would be a smart move. There is little reason not to do it.

They have the cap space to absorb the 1 year cap hit. They are already willing to pay him 8 million in bonus $. The franchise number pretty much pays him exactly that amount but doesn't lock them into anything longer term which puts no injury risk on the team. It may actually decrease the actual dollar payout in 2007 versus an extension.

It gives them trade rights if he doesn't sign the tender. It prevents a player they value frm walking away for nothing.

Willie55 said:
If he does sit out until week 10, I would make him only do punt return and kick return duty without any practice.

That's a great idea. Then when he balks, he looks like even more of a poor sport and lessens his market value even more. If he tries to do it and does poorly (or gets injured) he looks bad in the FA market.

BB takes no prisoners.

Tunescribe said:
Here's my question: If he ends his holdout in week 10, are the Patriots obligated to put him on the active roster and play him? That's a long time to be away from football. Even if he's staying in shape, he won't be in "game" condition and his timing will be off.

I don't think so. Wasn't this basically the case with Terry Glenn. He sat out until week 10 at which point BB basically said no thanks, Pats won the SB and Glenn was damamged goods in the league for a couple years until signed with Dallas, but for way less money than he could have made by staying a Patriot.

Do I have that right? I have been waiting for soemone to compare the Branch and Glenn situations but it has not come up, so maybe I have my facts wrong.

dhamz said:
This is still a non story until labor Day.
Also, we need to stop taking the emotional reactions of fans and making their feelings BB and SPs feelings. There is a zero chance they will cut Branch. That would be emotional and stupid.
It is nothing like Milloy. Milloy was a non-productive player they thought was overpaid. Branch is a very productive player who is essentially unpaid while he holds out.
Firstly, it is a story because he SHOULD be in camp and he is holding out. This is NOT baseball..football is a team sport and every day Branch is away he is hurting this team. Maybe it is a bit easier for a wideout to come in late and get caught up, but nonetheless, there are timing issues, getting used to the new players and other things that teh Twig can not do during his holdout. So it IS a story and I think an important one. I totally agree it would make no sense to cut him now as it is far from what the Milloy situation was like. Also, it is a bit different. With Milloy, they needed to get under the cap and his being cut accomplished that. This is far from where the Patriots are now. Branch has a contract and is NOT honoring it and I believe at some point will make a move at WR. One can certainly get caught up in emotions and with someone like Branch who seemed to be a team player, it's rather disappointing to see how little team means to him now.

now i'm disappointed too with him - i thought that a certain point this story would have been settled but now it is allready 18 august...

and he has not yet caught a pass from Tom...

grrrrrr....

Willie55 said:
orinally posted by RI Pats Fan:

He signed a friggin' contract. If he wasn't under contract, good riddance to him, let him go where he wants to. But he still has one year left.

And dont start that argument that teams can cut anybodywhen they want. It was his organization, the NFLPA, that COLLECTIVELY bargained this system.

And YESTERDAY I posted this:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=155990#post155990

Yes there is - he signed a freakin contract and he should honor it. And please don't say NFL contracts are unfair because teams can cut players - the NFLPA agreed to that and the player also did - and accepted a guaranteed signing bonus for doing nothing but promising to play, a promise he is now breaking.

A case of plagiarism, or of great minds thinking alike? ;)

I've had a few beers so if this has been posted then I apologize. I am not trying to compare us everyday folk to the "Underpaid" Football guy but I think I am (here). How underpaid are you if you can sit out or not "work" for an entire year?

F*ck you Branch and honestly I hope to not ever cheer for you again you F***ing jerk.

I hope you or someone you know reads this you are a complete ASS!

And a FU to all that support his BS on this board!

I have a question:

If Branch decides to sit out until week 10, in order to attain an accrued season, do the pats have any grounds at all to suspend him, without pay, for breach of contract, or detrimental conduct, or anything similar? Would a suspension following a holdout then bind Branch to the pats for next year, since he did not gain an accrued season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back