PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Total Access: Schefter reports on Branch..

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
He'd trade him first. Even if we only got 1/3 value, it would be better than cutting him. He's a different case than Milloy, making less money and younger so he'd be easily tradeable if it came to that.
You must have beat me by seconds.

Seymour93 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if BB cuts Branch before the start of the season. What would be the cap hit if we did that BTW? Deion is becoming such a distraction and annoyance that BB may just pull the trigger a la Lawyer Milloy in '03. It's a shame it's come to this.

I really thought we had found a special reciever. One who had good talent but with great humility, who has almost a polar opposite attitude from your classic selfish, egotistical WR, al la Owens, Johnson, and Moss. Turns out he's just about as big a d-bag as the rest of them, but with worse numbers.

Even if he plays in the regular season I'm still going to boo him at the Broncos and Jets games. The idea that I had such an emotional attatchment to a guy who clearly doesnt give a f about anybody but himself makes me physically ill.

zippo59 said:
Because the teams needs to show that throwing a tantrum will not be rewarding to their players. If he goes somewhere else and signs for big money after not honoring his contract then he wins. The team needs to send the message that a contract is LEGALLY BINDING, and its entire purpose is to ensure that regardless of future situations, THIS IS GOING TO BE WHAT HAPPENS, not this is going to be what happens if you feel like it.

Contracts are becoming totally pointless and jokes in the NFL as a player can not honor them if they don't feel like it, with relatively little consequences. If a team cuts a player he has to recieve the remainder pre-determined guaranteed money. What if a team cut a player and said "we think you were overpaid based on your performance, so we don't feel like payinig you the rest of this moeny that we both previously agreed we would." I don't understand why the franchise must honor the contract, at least in terms of payment of guaranteed money, but players don't have to honor them in terms of guaranteed years.
Who is disagreeing..????

BelichickFan said:
He'd trade him first. Even if we only got 1/3 value, it would be better than cutting him. He's a different case than Milloy, making less money and younger so he'd be easily tradeable if it came to that.

That would make more sense, but I didn't suggest Branch be cut I just said I wouldn't be surprised if he was. When Milloy was cut the outrage was loud and clear, how could we let a key defensive player in his prime (or so we thought) walk? We all know how things turned out. If cutting Branch is the only way to rid us of this problem, then I'm for it, however if we can salvage an extra draft pick then hooray for us.

Pats726 said:
Who is disagreeing..????

Sorry I'm in such a staye of rage about this I didn't read your post carefully enough to see you were saying he should be franchised if he sits out. I guess I'll just say my post was more venting than directed at any one person. I want to snap that twig...

trade him to the Bears or the Pack

Keegs said:
trade him to the Bears or the Pack

I would to the Pack or Lions. That way he would burn in football, hell.

If he sits out until week 10 then I guanetee you that this will be his last year with the team. The Pats will not wan't to resign a guy who cares more about his contract then his team.

THEARCHIVES said:
If he sits out until week 10 then I guanetee you that this will be his last year with the team. The Pats will not wan't to resign a guy who cares more about his contract then his team.

I think it is pretty clear that he already does considering he is willing to sacrifice this much preparation time.

THEARCHIVES said:
Right but that doesn't mean they won't franchise him first to control his rights and see what they can get for him from a team willing to pay him the big $$$.

THEARCHIVES said:

I'll go one step further -- he sits out 10 games it's career suicide. Off hand I can't remember a player ever doing something like that because of a contract dispute. I remember Emmitt Smith held out 48 days his rookie year but that's entirely different than missing 10 games. As a player, this is not a rep you want to get. It will no doubt hurt him down the road.

I'm not going to villainize the guy as some have done, but my patience is wearing thin.

SoonerPatriot said:
I'll go one step further -- he sits out 10 games it's career suicide. Off hand I can't remember a player ever doing something like that because of a contract dispute. I remember Emmitt Smith held out 48 days his rookie year but that's entirely different than missing 10 games. As a player, this is not a rep you want to get. It will no doubt hurt him down the road.
Joey Galloway did then was traded for two #1s and then tore his ACL. But, yes, it's an extremely rare occurence.

BelichickFan said:
Joey Galloway did then was traded for two #1s and then tore his ACL. But, yes, it's an extremely rare occurence.

Yeah, I forgot about Galloway. How long did he hold out? Wasn't it quite awhile?

well, now he really is dead to me...in that thread i was siding with him, but that's enough now...i thought he'd be signed by now or if he wasn't, i was hoping he'd come back on his own...screw him, we did fine against the falcons without him.

plus, what does branch gain by sitting out the entire first half of the season? if he does, it only hurts him, because the Patriots won't resign him anyway after that. all he's doing is losing money, and value.

Last edited:
What has Galloway done since ? Squat !!

Seymour93 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if BB cuts Branch before the start of the season. What would be the cap hit if we did that BTW? Deion is becoming such a distraction and annoyance that BB may just pull the trigger a la Lawyer Milloy in '03. It's a shame it's come to this.

If BB cut him he'd be giving into his ways. He would be able to go out and negotiate with any team. Let him come back week 10, let the bag be beat out of him on kick returns and punt returns, then franchise him next year, and to try trade him.

Last edited:
Now that training camp is done, I'm figuring the fines are done.

But now, since he still hasn't shown up, they just don't have to pay him for the work he has missed, right?

Isn't it possible that if he holds out till week ten, he could end up owing the team money whe it is all said and done?

Well, we really need Chad Jackson back now.

Deion is done. And I hope they stick it to him.

And to think, he had me fooled
Deion Branch said:
“My job is to finish my contract regardless of whether I get an extension or not,” Branch said. “Coach (Bill) Belichick has given me every opportunity to excel here. This is where I want to be, and I’m pretty sure things will work out for me and for us as a unit.

Freaking liar!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back