PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

Hurts was outstanding in the Super Bowl. The refs robbed him of an opportunity for game-tying or game-winning drive.

Maybe he shouldn't have fumbled the game away, like Brady did in SB 52. Brady's fumble was worse since that was with 2:04 left in the 4th quarter/

He had a better game than Mahomes* (who had less than 200 yards with two of his TD passes to uncovered receivers).

Brady in SB 55: 21/29, 201 yards, 3 TDs, TOP: 31 minutes, 5 for 11 on scoring drives

Mahomes in SB 57: 21/27; 182 yards, 3 TDs, TOP: 25 minutes, 5 for 8 on scoring drives

If you had a brain, you would realize that Mahomes only had 8 possessions and put his team in position to score on 6 of them (one was a missed FG). So you saying Mahomes wasn't that good in SB 57 means Brady wasn't that good in SB 55. But again you'll blame the refs.

Brady in contrast in SB 42 had 9 possessions and only had 2 scoring drives the whole game.

Ain't new. Tarkenton came close. Flutie would have won if he'd been given the chance. Young could run. All of them could pass.

Charlie Trippi led the Cards to their last title.
The NFL currently has 7 legit running quarterbacks, all age 27 or younger, all of them can pass too, some very well. The league has never seen this many at once. That's new.

Tarkenton wasn't a prolific running QB either. He maxed out at 62 rushing attempts in one season and averaged far less than that over his career. Just as a counter, Fields had 160 rushing attempts this season. Lamar Jackson has 727 rushing attempts, already more than Tarkenton's career total of 675. Tarkenton also never won a SB in part because he stunk in all of them.

Flutie is probably opening up a can of worms, because his fans are pretty dedicated, but for the most when given his opportunities in the NFL, he didn't play well.

It took him awhile to get it going, but Steve Young had an excellent NFL career, so I'm not going to say anything negative about him.

I can't correlate Trippi's game with today's NFL.

Maybe he shouldn't have fumbled the game away, like Brady did in SB 52. Brady's fumble was worse since that was with 2:04 left in the 4th quarter/
What does that have to do with the refs in Super Bowl 57? By the way, Mahomes had a way worse fumble in the AFCCG, but the NFL called a code red and the refs bailed him out there too.

Brady in SB 55: 21/29, 201 yards, 3 TDs, TOP: 31 minutes, 5 for 11 on scoring drives

Mahomes in SB 57: 21/27; 182 yards, 3 TDs, TOP: 25 minutes, 5 for 8 on scoring drives

If you had a brain, you would realize that Mahomes only had 8 possessions and put his team in position to score on 6 of them (one was a missed FG). So you saying Mahomes wasn't that good in SB 57 means Brady wasn't that good in SB 55. But again you'll blame the refs.
The key aspect you left out here is Brady beat Mahomes in SB 55, which between that and the 2018 AFCCG, Mahomes has insurmountable ground to cover to catch Brady.

Yeah, Mahomes didn't blow me away in the SB, I thought he was good but nothing more. 2 of his 3 TD passes were to uncovered receivers. Hurts played the more impressive game and would have made a very deserving MVP had the refs not kept him on the sideline.

What does that have to do with the refs in Super Bowl 57? By the way, Mahomes had a way worse fumble in the AFCCG, but the NFL called a code red and the refs bailed him out there too.

Did Mahomes piss the game away with that fumble? no, but Brady did. Brady had the game in his hands and fumbled the ball away.

Speaking of SB 52, it’s on NFLN now. Maybe you should watch the fumble again

Last edited:
The key aspect you left out here is Brady beat Mahomes in SB 55, which between that and the 2018 AFCCG, Mahomes has insurmountable ground to cover to catch Brady.

Head-to-head means nothing in a sport where there are 21 other starters. The more players and coaches that can influence the outcome of a game, the less important head-to-head becomes. It's not important in baseball, hockey, or basketball. And he beat Mahomes when Mahomes wasn't even in his prime. Brady OTH had one of his best seasons ever in 2020 with the Bucs (thanks to all the talent around him).

Yeah, Mahomes didn't blow me away in the SB, I thought he was good but nothing more. 2 of his 3 TD passes were to uncovered receivers. Hurts played the more impressive game and would have made a very deserving MVP had the refs not kept him on the sideline.

And I wasn't impressed with Brady in SB 55. The numbers he had in that game and what Mahomes had in SB 57 are basically the same but Mahomes had way fewer possessions. The Bucs D won that game for him.

Last edited:
Herbert is not as good as Mahomes, no one currently in the league is.
Herbert is not as good as Allen, whose dual threat ability pushes him above Herbert and Burrow.
You can argue Herbert and Burrow but Burrow has the postseason advantage to solidify his spot in the top 3.
Hurts is also above Herbert now because of the dual threat aspect and the SB performance.
The Chiefs and Bengals are substantially better than the Chargers have been the entirety of Herbert’s short career. You’re attributing team success to magical QB’s who make all things possible. It’s a bad take.
Lamar "sucks at QB" but he's a unanimous NFL MVP as a QB. I'll tell you what sucks... the Ravens without Lamar. The team takes a severe nosedive every time he's out of the lineup.
Cam was an MVP, Brandon Meriweather was a flash in the pan who made some pro bowls and disappeared. Never trust an award voted on by media members, they don’t know ****. At one point Milli Vanilli were considered the best pop act on the planet. In the words of Tony Soprano, “remember when is the lowest form of conversation.”

Lamar was the MVP in 2019, he got bounced in the first round… and no, it wasn’t because his team played poorly, it’s because he was terrible. He has been terrible every postseason he has played in.

He’s won a single postseason game in his entire career. Meanwhile Aaron Rogers has a ring… but he’s overrated. The math doesn’t compute.
i’m And yes, BB blew it twice in the draft with Lamar, but that has nothing to do with my appreciation for Lamar the player.
Lamar hasn’t won anything.
His strong 2022 season with trash all around him. His team sucks. He's a super talent. The reasons why he was taken in the 1st round are obvious. If and when he gets some representative talent around him, he is going to really take off. He's a future upper tier QB. Time will prove me right or wrong.
The Ravens were a premier franchise before Lamar, they won a ring with Flacco. They’ve havd good teams around Lamar every season.

Lamar's career playoff totals: 1-3 Record, 56% Completions, 3td's/5 INT's, 6.62 Yards Per Passing Attempt, 19 Sacks, 68.3 QB Rating... and oh yeah, 5 Fumbles. He sucks. Great in the regular season against the dregs, can’t pass against the best.
My point is let's see him do it again. He has a long career record prior to last season that tells us he wasn't good.
It’s a team sport.
Agree on the supporting cast for Tua but he far exceeded everyone's expectations and there's no denying that. Unfortunately I think concussions will deny him the opportunity but if he can do it again next season then he'll need to be taken very seriously.
He was a #1 pick.
Mac is in the position now of proving it was really Patricia (and BB) who screwed up his season. I think he'll be better with BOB but I'm not expecting a significant improvement. I'm not even sure Mac is better than Zappe. So he's not better than Tua (right now).
I’ll wait to see what they do with the rest of the draft, free agency and offseason.

Teams win rings, not magical QB’s. Mac has to play well, the team around him has to play well.
Daniel Jones had a better season than Mac Jones, and that's just as a passer, so add in the DJ's running ability and it's not a close comparison. Goff is underrated and he was much better than Mac this season. Goff has a higher ceiling as a passer than Mac or DJ.
But in your opinion coaching is irrelevant. Daniel Jones career high, this year, was 3205 yards passing/15 TD’s… and I’m supposed to be what…. impressed?

Mac Jones had 3801 yards and 22 TD’s as a rookie… but Jones, who was universally panned as a “bust” until this season is better… sure.

The Patriots offense had Bozo the clown as the coordinator, meanwhile Daboll coaxed the best season of his career out of Jones and ensured he got a 2nd contract.
Stafford led the NFL in INTs in 2021, and he was keeping that same pace in 2022, but his TDs went way down in 2022. His TD% dropped from 6.8% to 3.3%, which is a significant drop. His 6.8% was a career high for him but the 3.3% is still well below his career TD% of 4.7%. His sack% went up but it wasn't the entire story. Stafford didn't play well this season and he wasn't getting the ball in the end zone.
Staffords had zero playoff wins in 12 years in Detroit. One season with the Rams and he won 4 playoff games and a ring. Don’t dance around that. Matt needed the Rams a lot more than they needed him. they were in the Super Bowl five minutes before that with Goff… the epitome of average.

Oh yeah, and Goff… he lost one more game than Staffords did the year prior with the same Lion’s team. The difference between Staffords and Goff was about one win.
Sorry bub, wins are a matter of record for QBs and HCs. You may not like it but it exists.
And every other player…
Rodgers has never been clutch, especially in the postseason, that's a fact.
He has a ring that says otherwise.
Allen Lazard (who I want the Patriots to pursue), Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Randall Cobb sound pretty good to me. Watson looks like he's going to be a clear WR1. The Packers also have a great RB duo in Jones and Dillon. Good team. Rodgers had a down season. Just the truth.
Christian Watson took an entire season to develop, he was a blundering fool to start the season. He dropped a long bomb on the opening snap of the season. The rest of those guys are a bunch of old guys whose prime is way behind them.
There may be similarities. At this point in his career, Carr is the better QB. He'll make the Jets a better team, he's at least a significant upgrade to Wilson. Hall also was a big loss for their offense last season. If he's healthy, Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson and Carr would be a nice start for an offense.
The Jets are that team that fans tell us every offseason are going to turn the corner but never do… wake me up when they’re good.
No, it's based on QB production and overall contribution to the team's success.
Attributing team success to the QB.
Rodgers may return to top tier stats but he's established a lengthy record of coming up short when it counts most.
The season before last his special teams units turned the ball over the the opponent three times in a playoff loss… but you blame Rogers for not being “clutch”. Just silly… they literally fired the ST’s coach.
My top tier is 3 QBs... Mahomes, Allen and Burrow... Herbert belongs in the 2nd tier below that trio.
I heard Joanie love Chachi…
I think Deshaun Watson is a great QB but he definitely finds himself in the position of having to make a comeback now. He's missed a lot of time and he understandably was very rusty this season.
The last full season he played in the NFL he led the entire league in passing yards… now he’s what… subpar?
Fields has proven he's a dynamic athlete with elite running ability. Mac has a much better supporting cast. Chicago needs to get serious about building around Fields. His ceiling is higher than Mac's.
Fields hasn’t done anything… he showed flashes this year with a new coaching staff. Again, in your mind coaches are just along for the ride…they’re tourists.
That's just nonsense, brother.
Magical QB’s who make all things possible is nonsense.

If Nick Foles, Joe Flacco or Eli Manning can do it twice then it isn’t magic. It’s a team sport. What you’re professing is hero worship… fanboy nonsense.

Last edited:
The Chiefs and Bengals are substantially better than the Chargers have been the entirety of Herbert’s short career. You’re attributing team success to magical QB’s who make all things possible. It’s a bad take.
That's great. Herbert is not a better quarterback than Mahomes or Burrow.

Lamar was the MVP in 2019, he got bounced in the first round… and no, it wasn’t because his team played poorly, it’s because he was terrible. He has been terrible every postseason he has played in.
Dude, Lamar set an NFL record with 508 yards (365 passing and 143 rushing). And the Ravens defense totally sucked in that game (they got completely flattened by Derrick Henry and freaking Tannehill had 3 TDs).

The one playoff game the Ravens won with Jackson, he ran for 136 yards on 8.5 yards per carry. His 48-yard TD run was the biggest play of the game by far. You call that "terrible"? Come on, he was very good in this game. And the record setting one.

Teams win rings, not magical QB’s.
Right, it's just a coincidence that Brady and/or Mahomes have started in 7 of the last 9 Super Bowls (on 3 different teams).

But in your opinion coaching is irrelevant. Daniel Jones career high, this year, was 3205 yards passing/15 TD’s… and I’m supposed to be what…. impressed?

Mac Jones had 3801 yards and 22 TD’s as a rookie… but Jones, who was universally panned as a “bust” until this season is better… sure.

The Patriots offense had Bozo the clown as the coordinator, meanwhile Daboll coaxed the best season of his career out of Jones and ensured he got a 2nd contract.
DJ had some really impressive games as a rookie. He "thrived" in Daboll's offense because it fully opened up his running game. He played great in the wild card @MIN but their defense is putrid.

And every other player…
Maybe in your personal record keeping but in reality wins/losses officially count for teams, head coaches, and quarterbacks.

The last full season he played in the NFL he led the entire league in passing yards… now he’s what… subpar?
He hadn't played a game since 2020. You thought he would jump right back into his elite form? Not realistic. We'll see how he looks next September, I'm anticipating significant improvement.

Fields hasn’t done anything… he showed flashes this year with a new coaching staff. Again, in your mind coaches are just along for the ride…they’re tourists.
Fields improved as a passer and he ran for 1143 on 7.1 Y/A with 8 TDs. He had a very good season especially considering his team is total trash. Eberflus is a defensive coach, and their defense was disgusting, so who knows, he probably sucks and will be unemployed after another 3-14 season. Hopefully the trade rumors are legit and Fields gets out of that dump.

If Nick Foles, Joe Flacco or Eli Manning can do it twice then it isn’t magic. It’s a team sport. What you’re professing is hero worship… fanboy nonsense.
You know what all three of those quarterbacks have in common? They all played elite caliber football in their championship postseasons. Which is the second part of my statement: The majority of Super Bowls are won by elite quarterbacks and/or elite quarterback play.

Dude, Lamar set an NFL record with 508 yards (365 passing and 143 rushing). And the Ravens defense totally sucked in that game (they got completely flattened by Derrick Henry and freaking Tannehill had 3 TDs).
He had 67 rushing and 146 passing in the 4th quarter after they were down 28 to 6. He had 2 interceptions and a costly fumble. And he was sacked 4 times. Garbage time made his stats better than his game actually was.

That's great. Herbert is not a better quarterback than Mahomes or Burrow.
Based on team, I agree.
Based on skill? Laughable...
It's not about how bad your defense was, it's about how bad the opposing defense was. Running the score up against the dregs of the league isn't impressive. Do you know why this meme is funny, because it's true.

Jpy2e6h.jpg

The one playoff game the Ravens won with Jackson, he ran for 136 yards on 8.5 yards per carry. His 48-yard TD run was the biggest play of the game by far. You call that "terrible"? Come on, he was very good in this game. And the record setting one.
The worst player in every playoff loss over his entire career, except maybe that one game, was him.

4 games:
5 INT's, 5 fumbles, 56% completions. Great.
Right, it's just a coincidence that Brady and/or Mahomes have started in 7 of the last 9 Super Bowls (on 3 different teams).
Only two QB's start every season, you're talking about one of the most exclusive clubs in football. The same names are repeated in the playoffs with coaches, defenders, offensive lineman and skill players. Great teams find great players... shocking.
DJ had some really impressive games as a rookie. He "thrived" in Daboll's offense because it fully opened up his running game. He played great in the wild card @MIN but their defense is putrid.
Mac is already better... Zappe probably is as well. It's early on, but both have passed well with accuracy.
Maybe in your personal record keeping but in reality wins/losses officially count for teams, head coaches, and quarterbacks.
Based on what, everyone remembers the winners, the losers not so much.
He hadn't played a game since 2020. You thought he would jump right back into his elite form? Not realistic. We'll see how he looks next September, I'm anticipating significant improvement.
I don't disagree, but I'm wondering how all of that ^ figures into the equation... but in your estimation the entire roster around that QB and coaches are just along for the ride.

You think the Browns were well coached and had an All Star Team around Watson when he arrived this season?And don't get me wrong, they have a lot of pieces, and Watson was probably rusty... I just don't think the Browns can win with that much guarunteed money dedicated to the position.
Fields improved as a passer and he ran for 1143 on 7.1 Y/A with 8 TDs. He had a very good season especially considering his team is total trash. Eberflus is a defensive coach, and their defense was disgusting, so who knows, he probably sucks and will be unemployed after another 3-14 season. Hopefully the trade rumors are legit and Fields gets out of that dump.
Fields is Cam-lite so far, 60% passer with no scheme around him. Stats in 2022: 15 starts, 16 fumbles, 11 INT's. Great.

I think he'll get better, but Mac and Zappe have been better and it's not even close, even with the 2022 dumpster fire... but Field's is on your "future star" list and Mac's on the not talented enough or something like that. This will be really funny to revisit if the Bears use the first on a QB.
You know what all three of those quarterbacks have in common? They all played elite caliber football in their championship postseasons. Which is the second part of my statement: The majority of Super Bowls are won by elite quarterbacks and/or elite quarterback play.
Elite everything, not just QB play. Elite everything... and the team with less than elite at certain positions usually loses. Burrows lost in the Super Bowl last year because he got sacked 7 times. Not because Stafford's was better than Burrows. Burrow (no INT's, 100.9 QBR) outplayed Stafford (2 INT/89.8 QBR) by far... the Rams were the better team. The fatal flaw in Burrow's team all season in 2021 was their fatal flaw in the last game of the year.

Stafford's won zero playoff games for 12 years in Detroit, then won 4 games and a ring in one season as a Ram... but QB magic is the reason why... just silly.

Last edited:
It’s always been about the longevity, not really the effectiveness.
It's both but the lack of effectiveness is the most obvious, not the least.

It's both but the lack of effectiveness is the most obvious, not the least.
Trent Dilfer SBXXXV 12/25 153 yds 1TD 0INT 3SK

Jim McMahon SBXX 12/20 256 yds 0/0 1SK

... with at least three dropped pick sixes by Patriots

Flutie is probably opening up a can of worms, because his fans are pretty dedicated
Especially local fans, BC and all. Heisman winners often aren't successful pros.

That said

Looking at the guy's performance regardless of where he came from, whether he's likeable or his height-
but for the most when given his opportunities in the NFL, he didn't play well
Rare completely wrong statement from you...you're human!

So as long as you see the kid making his third career NFL start in the playoffs on a team of jerks which hates him and adores an inferior assh*le for what it is,

And that he did play very well and won before (unlike all the other 90's stiffs) and after going to the CFL (uh, not a good idea to disregard what he did there)

[Tony Eason. Rob Johnson. It sounds made up just to say it]

And that his performance did indeed eventually drop off (because 38 years is old for an athlete)

And that the guy had a tremendous (and incredibly tolerant) attitude throughout

And that he didn't get hurt and miss games

...this will help: Look at his results, everywhere he played, and imagine he's 6'1".

The guy was treated like a leper
It took him awhile to get it going, but Steve Young had an excellent NFL career, so I'm not going to say anything negative about him.
On that team, he won one Super Bowl. I suppose you can say he didn't screw it up.
I can't correlate Trippi's game with today's NFL.
He mostly ran, one of the greatest ever, only died last October at age 100, when he retired he had compiled the most yards of total offense by a player in NFL history...and he was 6'0" tall.

He mostly ran, one of the greatest ever, only died last October at age 100, when he retired he had compiled the most yards of total offense by a player in NFL history...and he was 6'0" tall.

Thanks for the background info. Going through every year since 1920ish, I tried to find info about the championship winning QBs, and Trippi was one of the few where I was just like WTF...who the hell is this guy? Listed as a halfback on the 40s all-decade team.

Thanks for the background info. Going through every year since 1920ish, I tried to find info about the championship winning QBs, and Trippi was one of the few where I was just like WTF...who the hell is this guy? Listed as a halfback on the 40s all-decade team.
They went both ways back then.

The baseball AND football Yankees of the AAFC offered him a joint deal, but Charles Bidwill (who sadly died of pneumonia shortly after) signed him to a $100,000 contract with a $25,000 first year bonus. Paid off with a title, the Cardinals' last. Guy was a monster.

Only man in Canton with at least 1000 yards passing, rushing & receiving in his career. Plus 864 punt return yards & 1,457 yards on kickoff returns.

None other than Jim Thorpe called Trippi "the greatest football player I have ever seen."

Based on team, I agree.
Based on skill? Laughable...
We'll see. They're all young still. Too me, Mahomes and Allen are the most skilled QBs in the NFL today. Burrow and Herbert are real close. Herbert's weapons are good but Burrow's are better. Could that be the difference so far? Maybe.

The worst player in every playoff loss over his entire career, except maybe that one game, was him.
Yeah, that's not true, but whatever, even if he sucked in 3 playoff games, he's 26 and I love his potential moving forward (if healthy). He'll win his share of playoff games with solid performances. Time will tell.

Only two QB's start every season, you're talking about one of the most exclusive clubs in football. The same names are repeated in the playoffs with coaches, defenders, offensive lineman and skill players. Great teams find great players... shocking.
Brady's unique. The Patriots had 9 different teams appear in a Super Bowl over the span of 18 seasons... Brady is the only player to have played in all of them. He won SB's 1-3 with one collection of 52 teammates and SB's 4-6 with an entirely different collection of 52 teammates. Then he won in Tampa Bay with 51 different teammates (only Gronk was a crossover).

Mac is already better... Zappe probably is as well. It's early on, but both have passed well with accuracy.
It's not worth breaking down in detail but Daniel Jones is better than Mac Jones. He was a lot better in 2022. Long term, I'm not sure either one can sustain a productive starting gig.

Fields is Cam-lite so far, 60% passer with no scheme around him. Stats in 2022: 15 starts, 16 fumbles, 11 INT's. Great.

I think he'll get better, but Mac and Zappe have been better and it's not even close, even with the 2022 dumpster fire... but Field's is on your "future star" list and Mac's on the not talented enough or something like that. This will be really funny to revisit if the Bears use the first on a QB.
Fields has been surrounded by nothing. He needs to improve his passing but his receivers have been worthless. His running game was elite in 2022... he led the NFL with 7.1 Y/A and he had 1143 yards despite missing two games. His ceiling is much higher than Mac's.

Especially local fans, BC and all. Heisman winners often aren't successful pros.

That said

Looking at the guy's performance regardless of where he came from, whether he's likeable or his height-

Rare completely wrong statement from you...you're human!

So as long as you see the kid making his third career NFL start in the playoffs on a team of jerks which hates him and adores an inferior assh*le for what it is,

And that he did play very well and won before (unlike all the other 90's stiffs) and after going to the CFL (uh, not a good idea to disregard what he did there)

[Tony Eason. Rob Johnson. It sounds made up just to say it]

And that his performance did indeed eventually drop off (because 38 years is old for an athlete)

And that the guy had a tremendous (and incredibly tolerant) attitude throughout

And that he didn't get hurt and miss games

...this will help: Look at his results, everywhere he played, and imagine he's 6'1".

The guy was treated like a leper
Flutie is on my short list of people that I try not to criticize. (no pun intended)

His NFL record speaks for itself. I'll leave it at that.

We'll see. They're all young still. Too me, Mahomes and Allen are the most skilled QBs in the NFL today. Burrow and Herbert are real close. Herbert's weapons are good but Burrow's are better. Could that be the difference so far? Maybe.
Allen hasn’t proven to be that precision sniper people felt he developed into. He is a dangerous QB because he has the size and athleticism of a talented NFL TE, but he’s not playing TE. He’s gotten way better than I thought he would so I give him credit for that. Burrow and Herbert are as good a passer as Mahomes or anyone, Andy Reid is Mahomes distinct advantage. He gets plays like a shovel pass to Kelce on the goal line, he gets superior scheme and also blocking. His offensive line is one of the best in the NFL, they have a ton of money invested there. Smart. Burrows line despite a slight improvement was still a joke by seasons end, Herbert’s is only slightly better, neither had Andy Reid’s intellect running the show. The talent level between Mahomes, Burrow and Herbert is paper thin, to where it’s irrelevant. Team separates who wins rings between those three, not who is higher on the list that week.
Yeah, that's not true, but whatever, even if he sucked in 3 playoff games, he's 26 and I love his potential moving forward (if healthy). He'll win his share of playoff games with solid performances. Time will tell.
Don’t make me post Lamar Jackson’s playoff stats yet again. He has been horrid, the worst player on either team. He can’t pass from the pocket, that’s can’t be dismissed as nothing… it’s everything in the playoffs.
Brady's unique. The Patriots had 9 different teams appear in a Super Bowl over the span of 18 seasons... Brady is the only player to have played in all of them. He won SB's 1-3 with one collection of 52 teammates and SB's 4-6 with an entirely different collection of 52 teammates. Then he won in Tampa Bay with 51 different teammates (only Gronk was a crossover).
I can’t get into a Brady ballwashing conversation with you. It’s nauseating. He was great, his teams were great, better teams is why he has 7 rings.

His peers didn’t have the consistency of good/great teams that he had. This is evident in stats. Defensive stats, field position stats, special teams stats. It’s a team sport.
It's not worth breaking down in detail but Daniel Jones is better than Mac Jones. He was a lot better in 2022. Long term, I'm not sure either one can sustain a productive starting gig.
No, you certainly don’t want to compare stats. It wouldn’t bolster your argument, but would destroy it. I don’t know what Mac Jones will develop into, Zappe might be outright better, but Daniel Jones is not good. I would take the unknown of Mac/Zappe over the known of DJ all day. He’s not a good passer, passing is the job. Running is nice but irrelevant in the playoffs if you can’t pass. Time and history have proven that beyond all doubt.
Fields has been surrounded by nothing. He needs to improve his passing but his receivers have been worthless. His running game was elite in 2022... he led the NFL with 7.1 Y/A and he had 1143 yards despite missing two games. His ceiling is much higher than Mac's.
Kmet is a stud, Darnell Mooney and Chase Claypool are supremely talented. But ai agree that Chicago only had slightly better coaching than he’s had at any time. He still turned the ball over at a stupid high rate, that’s on him. He might develop into Josh Allen or Jalen Hurts, he may never develop as a passer like Lamar Jackson. Time will tell. We’ll see what Chicago thinks when they’re on the clock in the draft. I’ll take a superior passer over an okay passer all day and twice on Sundays.

Flutie is on my short list of people that I try not to criticize. (no pun intended)

His NFL record speaks for itself. I'll leave it at that.
I really enjoyed watching Flutie at BC. He helped put BC and Tom Coughlin on the map. He was like a mini-Brady with the way he'd play great in big moments even when he had struggled earlier.

One of my favorite Flutie memories (sorry if I'm being repetitive) is when BC was home against Clemson. After Flutie released one of his passes I could see by the camera angle on my boob tube that a DL ( I think it was William "the Refridgerator" Perry) was still coming right at Flutie and wasn't stopping. At the last moment Flutie took a quick step to the side, grabbed Perry's shirt by the number on his chest and then used his own momentum to spin him down to the ground like a rag doll. I can still hear the announcers crying because the ref didn't flag Flutie.

I really have no idea what Flutie's pro record is, but I know that there was a lot working against him then and had he been given a fair shake he'd have probably done much better in the pros. He was special.

I really enjoyed watching Flutie at BC. He helped put BC and Tom Coughlin on the map. He was like a mini-Brady with the way he'd play great in big moments even when he had struggled earlier.

One of my favorite Flutie memories (sorry if I'm being repetitive) is when BC was home against Clemson. After Flutie released one of his passes I could see by the camera angle on my boob tube that a DL ( I think it was William "the Refridgerator" Perry) was still coming right at Flutie and wasn't stopping. At the last moment Flutie took a quick step to the side, grabbed Perry's shirt by the number on his chest and then used his own momentum to spin him down to the ground like a rag doll. I can still hear the announcers crying because the ref didn't flag Flutie.

I really have no idea what Flutie's pro record is, but I know that there was a lot working against him then and had he been given a fair shake he'd have probably done much better in the pros. He was special.
All of his peers were kept in there to keep playing and developing when they all were crappy in their first two or three seasons. Imagine any of them getting yanked with one or two games left in the regular season, after THEY led the team to contention! This is what the Bledsoe army wanted in '01, and had Belichick done it there would be no titles, just wreckage and we'll never know might have beens - like the '88 Pats & the '99 Bills.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back