PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

I don’t understand the Fields hype.
Fields has got the size, athleticism, and talent to be an electric football player. He had a monster season running the ball and he improved significantly as a passer (although he still has a ways to go here). The Bears very likely had the worst group of skill position players in the NFL this season. Obviously that's going to negatively impact Fields' production. Chicago has $100 mil in cap space so they should be able to aggressively work on improving the supporting cast.

I think Fields is one of the more exciting young quarterbacks in the NFL.

The NFL has a bit of a quarterback crisis heading into the 2023 season.

Tier 1 Quarterbacks (guaranteed postseason appearance)

Chiefs (Patrick Mahomes)
Bills (Josh Allen)
Bengals (Joe Burrow)

Tier 2 Quarterbacks (probable postseason appearance)

Eagles (Jalen Hurts)
Baltimore (Lamar Jackson)
Chargers (Justin Herbert)
The difference between tier one and tier two is absurd. Herbert is as good as anyone on either list. His team isn't...

Side note, Lamar Jackson shouldn't be on either of these tiers... you are the biggest Lamar apologist on this site. I don't doubt it has something to do with BB deciding twice in that draft not to draft him. The guy has been horrible in the playoffs, a total disaster. That you have Aaron Rogers and his one ring in the "stats are for losers" category below and Jackson way up here shows a total lack of objectivity. Jackson sucks... great athlete, I'd love to have him as a gadget player like Kordell Stewart... but at QB... laughable.
Future Upper Tier Quarterbacks

Jaguars (Trevor Lawrence)
Bears (Justin Fields)
Fields... lol, based on what?
Prove You're Legit

Dolphins (Tua Tagovailoa)
Seahawks (Geno Smith)
Lions (Jared Goff)
Giants (Daniel Jones)
Geno is 32 years old, he proved a lot this season but he is what he is. Tua is better than Mac... based on what? He had super weapons and a great offensive minded head coach. Mac was better at Alabama, he's probably better now if Obie does his job. Goff and Daniel Jones are worse passers than both of them.
Comeback Player of the Year (2023)?

Rams (Matthew Stafford)
Cardinals (Kyler Murray)
Browns (Deshaun Watson)
Broncos (Russell Wilson)
? (Derek Carr)
The Rams are a great example of why football is a team sport. Last year they had decent blocking and won a ring, this year their offensive line was a tomato can and Stafford's was running for his life before eventually getting hurt. Was Stafford's a lesser player in 2022 than he was in 2021... no.
Stats Are For Losers (numbers look good but aren't winners)

Packers (Aaron Rodgers)
Vikings (Kirk Cousins)
Cowboys (Dak Prescott)
Winning is a team stat, not a QB stat.

In twelve years Matt Stafford won zero playoff games, in one season on the Rams he won a Super Bowl. Did he suddenly become "clutch?"

Aaron Rogers was the league MVP a season ago, this year he had two rookie WR's and a bunch of old retreads... not surprisingly he wasn't as good because the entire team around him was worse. That Rogers is down here on this list is laughably absurd.
Sorry Not Sorry (I don't see it happening but please prove me wrong)

Patriots (Mac Jones)
I carried this conversation we were having from another thread about Derek Carr potentially ending up on the Jets and does that make them a better team than the Pats. Here's a snapshot of Derek Carr and Mac Jones rookie stats side by side, I'm going to give Mac a mulligan for last season because the offense around him was a dumpster fire due to coaching.

Bm7OIMz.png

Mac is very similar to Carr, he might even be better in a better situation. We have yet to determine who Mac is as a player, but the potential for upside is still there.

Also it shouldn't be forgotten, Zappe's rookie stats were spectacular... even on a dumpster fire.

This list is a popularity contest basing who is "best" according to team results... not which QB is actually the best. Rogers, Herbert, Watson all should be in the tier one category, Fields hasn't proven anything more than Mac has. There is clearly an anti-Patriot bias with every list you create post Tom Brady.

Last edited:
The difference between tier one and tier two is absurd. Herbert is as good as anyone on either list. His team isn't...

Side note, Lamar Jackson shouldn't be on in either of these tiers... you are the biggest Lamar apologist on this site. I don't doubt it has something to do with BB deciding twice in that draft not to draft him. The guy has been horrible in the playoffs, a total disaster. That you have Aaron Rogers and his one ring in the "stats are for losers" category below and Jackson way up here shows a total lack of objectivity. Jackson sucks... great athlete, I'd love to have him as a gadget player like Kordell Stewart... but at QB... laughable.

Geno is 32 years old, he proved a lot this season but he is what he is. Tua is better than Mac... based on what? He had super weapons and a great offensive minded head coach. Mac was better at Alabama, he's probably better now if Obie does his job. Goff and Daniel Jones are worse passers than both of them.

The Rams are a great example of why football is a team sport. Last year they had decent blocking and won a ring, this year their offensive line was a tomato can and Stafford's was running for his life before eventually getting hurt. Was Stafford's a lesser player in 2022 than he was in 2021... no.

In twelve years Matt Stafford won zero playoff games, in one season on the Rams he won a Super Bowl. Did he suddenly become "clutch?"

Aaron Rogers was the league MVP a season ago, this year he had two rookie WR's and a bunch of old retreads... not surprisingly he wasn't as good because the entire team around him was worse. That Rogers is down here on this list is laughably absurd.

I carried this conversation we were having from another thread about Derek Carr potentially ending up on the Jets and does that make them a better team. Here's a snapshot of Derek Carr and Mac Jones rookie stats side by side, I'm going to give Mac a mulligan for last season because the offense around him was a dumpster fire due to coaching.

Bm7OIMz.png

Mac is very similar to Carr, he might even be better in a better situation. We have yet to determine who Mac is as a player, but the potential for upside is still there.

Also it shouldn't be forgotten, Zappe's rookie stats were spectacular... even on a dumpster fire.

This list is a popularity contest basing who is "best" according to team results... not which QB is actually the best. Rogers, Herbert, Watson all should be in the tier one category, Fields hasn't proven anything more than Mac has. There is clearly an anti-Patriot bias with every list you create post Tom Brady.
It's his list so it's not wrong
Your opinion isn't wrong either because your list is yours.

It's his list so it's not wrong
Your opinion isn't wrong either because your list is yours.
Lamar Jackson has one playoff win in his entire career, but he's at the top of the list.

Aaron Rogers has a Super Bowl ring and a gaggle of MVPs, including one the season before last... but he's at the bottom of the list under the heading "Stats Are For Losers (numbers look good but aren't winners)."

What's a bad opinion called?

Wrong.

Last edited:
Mahomes is number 1 and then there's a big gap between him and #2.

Mahomes has offensive genius Andy Reid, which creates a big gap between him and #2.

I'm just gonna say it

Patrick Mahomes doesn't suck

...that much...

I mean, in the context of how the sport is played and officiated today, and how teams are coached, and how diluted and antiseptic pro sports has become, and...

...and...

I'm just gonna say it

Patrick Mahomes doesn't suck

...that much...

I mean, in the context of how the sport is played and officiated today, and how teams are coached, and how diluted and antiseptic pro sports has become, and...

...and...

I see the the anti-Mahomes/pro-Brady crowd has already been working on their excuses for the inevitable when it comes to Mahomes...

Lamar Jackson has one playoff win in his entire career, but he's at the top of the list.

Aaron Rogers has a Super Bowl ring and a gaggle of MVPs, including one the season before last... but he's at the bottom of the list under the heading "Stats Are For Losers (numbers look good but aren't winners)."

Wrong.
Nah it's his list so it's right.
Your list is right too whatever you think it is.

The past few years has seen a big shakeup for QBs. Brady, Brees, and Roethlisberger retired. Rodgers and Wilson declined. Mainstays like Ryan are hitting the wall.

It’s tough to make a list right now with all the small sample sizes and unknowns.

After Mahomes at #1 there are big question marks with everyone. I think most can agree that Burrow and Allen are 2-3, but even these two aren’t really year to year proven winners who can carry a franchise. Maybe they are, but the book is still out. Then guys like Herbert, Hurts, etc definitely have the tools but also still have much to prove.

I see the the anti-Mahomes/pro-Brady crowd has already been working on their excuses for the inevitable when it comes to Mahomes...
How long do you think Andy Reid is going to coach? Don’t get me wrong, the guy is a paragon of fitness…

Nah it's his list so it's right.
Your list is right to whatever you think it is.
I disagree that what makes Mahomes supposedly “better” than Herbert or Burrow on any list is some inherit QB gene that fluctuates based on team results.

Mahomes has the premier offensive coach in the league, he was that when Patrick was still in high school. Patrick also has one of the best offensive lines in the league, they have hundreds of millions of dollars invested there for a reason.

Herbert and Burrow have neither of those ^ advantages. But if your belief is that QB’s have magic powers that fluctuate like levels on a video game annually/monthly/weekly/daily/hourly… then god speed.

And PS, this site is dedicated to voicing opinions… and yes, many of them are wrong.

Last edited:
Herbert is not as good as Mahomes, no one currently in the league is.
Herbert is not as good as Allen, whose dual threat ability pushes him above Herbert and Burrow.
You can argue Herbert and Burrow but Burrow has the postseason advantage to solidify his spot in the top 3.
Hurts is also above Herbert now because of the dual threat aspect and the SB performance.

Side note, Lamar Jackson shouldn't be on in either of these tiers... you are the biggest Lamar apologist on this site. I don't doubt it has something to do with BB deciding twice in that draft not to draft him. The guy has been horrible in the playoffs, a total disaster. That you have Aaron Rogers and his one ring in the "stats are for losers" category below and Jackson way up here shows a total lack of objectivity. Jackson sucks... great athlete, I'd love to have him as a gadget player like Kordell Stewart... but at QB... laughable.
Lamar "sucks at QB" but he's a unanimous NFL MVP as a QB. I'll tell you what sucks... the Ravens without Lamar. The team takes a severe nosedive every time he's out of the lineup.

And yes, BB blew it twice in the draft with Lamar, but that has nothing to do with my appreciation for Lamar the player.

His strong 2022 season with trash all around him. His team sucks. He's a super talent. The reasons why he was taken in the 1st round are obvious. If and when he gets some representative talent around him, he is going to really take off. He's a future upper tier QB. Time will prove me right or wrong.

Geno is 32 years old, he proved a lot this season but he is what he is.
My point is let's see him do it again. He has a long career record prior to last season that tells us he wasn't good.

Tua is better than Mac... based on what? He had super weapons and a great offensive minded head coach.
Agree on the supporting cast for Tua but he far exceeded everyone's expectations and there's no denying that. Unfortunately I think concussions will deny him the opportunity but if he can do it again next season then he'll need to be taken very seriously.

Mac is in the position now of proving it was really Patricia (and BB) who screwed up his season. I think he'll be better with BOB but I'm not expecting a significant improvement. I'm not even sure Mac is better than Zappe. So he's not better than Tua (right now).

Goff and Daniel Jones are worse passers than both of them.
Daniel Jones had a better season than Mac Jones, and that's just as a passer, so add in the DJ's running ability and it's not a close comparison. Goff is underrated and he was much better than Mac this season. Goff has a higher ceiling as a passer than Mac or DJ.

Stafford led the NFL in INTs in 2021, and he was keeping that same pace in 2022, but his TDs went way down in 2022. His TD% dropped from 6.8% to 3.3%, which is a significant drop. His 6.8% was a career high for him but the 3.3% is still well below his career TD% of 4.7%. His sack% went up but it wasn't the entire story. Stafford didn't play well this season and he wasn't getting the ball in the end zone.

Sorry bub, wins are a matter of record for QBs and HCs. You may not like it but it exists.

Rodgers has never been clutch, especially in the postseason, that's a fact.

Allen Lazard (who I want the Patriots to pursue), Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Randall Cobb sound pretty good to me. Watson looks like he's going to be a clear WR1. The Packers also have a great RB duo in Jones and Dillon. Good team. Rodgers had a down season. Just the truth.

There may be similarities. At this point in his career, Carr is the better QB. He'll make the Jets a better team, he's at least a significant upgrade to Wilson. Hall also was a big loss for their offense last season. If he's healthy, Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson and Carr would be a nice start for an offense.

This list is a popularity contest basing who is "best" according to team results... not which QB is actually the best. Rogers, Herbert, Watson all should be in the tier one category, Fields hasn't proven anything more than Mac has.
No, it's based on QB production and overall contribution to the team's success.

Rodgers may return to top tier stats but he's established a lengthy record of coming up short when it counts most.

My top tier is 3 QBs... Mahomes, Allen and Burrow... Herbert belongs in the 2nd tier below that trio.

I think Deshaun Watson is a great QB but he definitely finds himself in the position of having to make a comeback now. He's missed a lot of time and he understandably was very rusty this season.

Fields has proven he's a dynamic athlete with elite running ability. Mac has a much better supporting cast. Chicago needs to get serious about building around Fields. His ceiling is higher than Mac's.

There is clearly an anti-Patriot bias with every list you create post Tom Brady.
That's just nonsense, brother.

Wrong.
I really don't understand the love for Jackson or any other running QB. The league has been going for about a century and the next running QB to win a title will be the first.

Not really. Certainly not as big a gap as there is between the GOAT QBs. Brady locked that up years ago.

I think Burrow and Herbert are both closer to Mahomes than you think. Maybe Lawrence too.

Not really. Certainly not as big a gap as there is between the GOAT QBs. Brady locked that up years ago.

I think Burrow and Herbert are both closer to Mahomes than you think. Maybe Lawrence too.

do you honestly think Brady will be the most accomplished QB between now and the end of time? someone is going to knock him out eventually.

I really don't understand the love for Jackson or any other running QB. The league has been going for about a century and the next running QB to win a title will be the first.
Hurts was outstanding in the Super Bowl. The refs robbed him of an opportunity for game-tying or game-winning drive. He had a better game than Mahomes* (who had less than 200 yards with two of his TD passes to uncovered receivers).

The NFL has never seen this many talented running quarterbacks in the league at the same time. I count 7 of them. One is an NFL MVP. One is a bogus penalty away from a possible ring. One might be the best duel threat QB the league has ever seen. All of them have great potential. Worthy of the hype.

Hurts was outstanding in the Super Bowl. The refs robbed him of an opportunity for game-tying or game-winning drive. He had a better game than Mahomes* (who had less than 200 yards with two of his TD passes to uncovered receivers).

The NFL has never seen this many talented running quarterbacks in the league at the same time. I count 7 of them. One is an NFL MVP. One is a bogus penalty away from a possible ring. One might be the best duel threat QB the league has ever seen. All of them have great potential. Worthy of the hype.

It’s always been about the longevity, not really the effectiveness.

Ain't new. Tarkenton came close. Flutie would have won if he'd been given the chance. Young could run. All of them could pass.

Charlie Trippi led the Cards to their last title.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back