PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Playoffs: Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Divisional Round Breakdown: Packers at 49ers

Don't agree with you on either count:

- SF was the better team. More physical, more balanced. Vastly superior D. Capers made it easy for them, but I think they were just the better team, and would have won. Should have won.

- Not necessarily a good outcome for NE, though it's irrelevant right now. And if Seattle beats Atlanta I still think they will beat SF. But I've said SF and Seattle are the two best teams in the NFC for months now, as I've said the Pats and Houston are the two best teams in the AFC.

no, with out turn overs the 49ers lose this game also. So, the 49ers offence cant win, alone. Thats very important vs the Pats mayo. You dont turn the ball over.
Theses turn overs are not the de facto.
GB has no run game , but ran fine against them. I think the weaker teams in the NFC are winning and thats just good for NE, even in the AFC. I think you would rather play Ravens then PM and Denver.
You seriosly think playing GB and rogers would be better than a rookie in the SB?
We destroted this guy with the worst defence.

Last edited:

I don't know what was worse in that game: the defensive game plan or the execution.

I don't know what was worse in that game: the defensive game plan or the execution.

I say both. The man defense and the inability of the Packers rush ends to set the edge/contain created huge running lanes for Kapernick all night long.

It's crazy how losing one player can turn a defense to crap. Packers D was elite in 2010, then Nick Collins broke his neck and their D has been terrible ever since.

I say both. The man defense and the inability of the Packers rush ends to set the edge/contain created huge running lanes for Kapernick all night long.

They were both bad, and they cost their team a chance to win the title. I was stunned at just how bad there were, given the situation.

They were both bad, and they cost their team a chance to win the title. I was stunned at just how bad there were, given the situation.

No adjustments either. I at least thought that the Packers would make adjustments to try to defend the read-option better. But they seemingly never did, and then proceeded to get rolled over for nearly 300 rushing yards, which is unbelievable, IMO.

No adjustments either. I at least thought that the Packers would make adjustments to try to defend the read-option better. But they seemingly never did, and then proceeded to get rolled over for nearly 300 rushing yards, which is unbelievable, IMO.

It sets up a very interesting NFCCG next weekend. We'll either get the 49ers/Seahawks rubber match, with the Seahawks playing minus their 12th man, or we'll get a very interesting contrast in styles, with the 49ers trying to intimidate the Falcons in their own home.

It sets up a very interesting NFCCG next weekend. We'll either get the 49ers/Seahawks rubber match, with the Seahawks playing minus their 12th man, or we'll get a very interesting contrast in styles, with the 49ers trying to intimidate the Falcons in their own home.

Agree. I think both match-ups are intriguing for the reasons you delineated. One think that should worry Seahawks fans should they manage to win tomorrow in Atlanta is the loss of Clemons. Rookie Bruce Irvin, to put it mildly, is going to be challenged to set the edge opposite Red Bryant, and the Fortyniners have got to be salivating at the matchup in that phase of the game.

We destroted this guy with the worst defence.

Not sure what you mean. The Saints lost to the 49ers (largely due to two pick sixes). First score of the game was a Kaepernick rush TD.

500 yards of offense in 3Q bad.

Spot on. As I watched this game I honestly wondered if the Green Bay Defensive Coordinator was Colin K's father or the GB players had spent last night until 4am down at the strip clubs on Broadway.

I'm unsure if I am embarrassed for Green Bay or if it is more of an awe of their sorry ***** undisciplined play/coaching. They were playing, arguably, the best running QB to EVER play in a divisional playoff game. So what did they do? Leave lanes WIDE open, execute blitzes/pass rush like it CK could not run at all, leave him uncovered on running plays/give up their contain assignments at the drop of a hat.....it was staggeringly unbelievable. I hate to take anything away from Colin K because that was an amazing running performance as well as he dropped in some nice looking passes. No doubt this kid has some talent. But when a QB runs for 200 yards, a QB KNOWN for running, and you keep leaving him unassigned with gargantuan lanes wide open for him time after time after time? You should be ashamed of how undisciplined your play/coaching was. The way they played I question if this week they even practiced the threat of Colin K's running. Just appalling, undisciplined, unprepared playing/coaching...

Spot on. As I watched this game I honestly wondered if the Green Bay Defensive Coordinator was Colin K's father or the GB players had spent last night until 4am down at the strip clubs on Broadway.

I'm unsure if I am embarrassed for Green Bay or if it is more of an awe of their sorry ***** undisciplined play/coaching. They were playing, arguably, the best running QB to EVER play in a divisional playoff game. So what did they do? Leave lanes WIDE open, execute blitzes/pass rush like it CK could not run at all, leave him uncovered on running plays/give up their contain assignments at the drop of a hat.....it was staggeringly unbelievable. I hate to take anything away from Colin K because that was an amazing running performance as well as he dropped in some nice looking passes. No doubt this kid has some talent. But when a QB runs for 200 yards, a QB KNOWN for running, and you keep leaving him unassigned with gargantuan lanes wide open for him time after time after time? You should be ashamed of how undisciplined your play/coaching was. The way they played I question if this week they even practiced the threat of Colin K's running. Just appalling, undisciplined, unprepared playing/coaching...

When Walden crashed into the pile, for no apparent reason, and that let Kaepernick loose for that long TD run, I thought that about summed up the game for that defense.

When Walden crashed into the pile, for no apparent reason, and that let Kaepernick loose for that long TD run, I thought that about summed up the game for that defense.

What the hell happened to that SB winning D?

It wasn't great, but it wasn't borderline incompetent either...

They've had a couple of key losses, and I think they're very weak on the outside of the front 7. That front 7 reminds me of the Patriots front 7 before Spikes/Hightower/Jones arrived on the scene, in the sense of there being holes that just can't be covered for in bad matchups, and needing absolute greatness out of the QB in order to get past the best teams.

Also, I think GB has the same problem that the Patriots do, in the sense of struggling with the most physical NFL teams, but to a greater extent than the Patriots do.

Just my $.02..... I think the Patriots and Packers are the two best teams in the NFL, but I think they both have matchup issues with a similar group of opponents.

Last edited:

As DI eluded to, I believe much of this was planning/execution to this specific game. When you have a QB who is such a big and obvious threat to run the ball, and that QB runs for 200 yards? The conversation begins with the failure of coaching and/or the players not executing their assignments. Was I not paying enough attention or am I correct in my observation that his runs were often easy? I didn't notice him have to break many tackles, take hits, make big time cut backs, give up his body. It appeared GB's lack of discipline left the kind of lanes/open field to allow him to sprint north-south without obstacles.

Did GB's coaches honestly think that a freelance/all over the place pass rush would work? That they didn't need to focus on keeping him in the pocket? That this very athletically gifted QB was not going to side step partially occupied/lunging pass rushers which would then allow him to exploit the open field that it creates? If they did they are incompetent...

Well one of my 2 teams lost tonite so it's all on the Pats for me now.

What is said here is exactly what Packer fans are saying. Thy are calling for DC Dom Capers' head as they should. 2 years in a row the Packer defense has gotten the snot kicked out of them in the playoffs by a team that was far more physical. That was an absolutely embarassing performance by a defense that looked like deer staring into the headlights.

No matter how good Rodgers is, and he's not perfect, there's no way GB can make it to another SB with such a sorry defense.

Last edited:

They've had a couple of key losses, and I think they're very weak on the outside of the front 7. That front 7 reminds me of the Patriots front 7 before Spikes/Hightower/Jones arrived on the scene, in the sense of there being holes that just can't be covered for in bad matchups, and needing absolute greatness out of the QB in order to get past the best teams.

Also, I think GB has the same problem that the Patriots do, in the sense of struggling with the most physical NFL teams, but to a greater extent than the Patriots do.

Just my $.02..... I think the Patriots and Packers are the two best teams in the NFL, but I think they both have matchup issues with a similar group of opponents.

I think that the loss of Nick Collins was huge. Without his play and his leadership the secondary fell apart and has only been somewhat rebuilt this year.

A second pass rusher has also not appeared yet to take the pressure of Clay Matthews. Nick Perry was supposed to be that guy but got injured.

Losing their top ILB Desmond Bishop at the start of the year also hurt them greatly, but their other ILB, AJ Hawk, just isn't that good.

Packers went with a bunch of rookies this year, but their play was very inconsistent. Casey Heyward is the CB of the future.

Also, guys like Tramon Williams who was a pro-bowler 2 years ago have really regressed, and overall the toughness of this defense has gone downhill. Dom Capers as the DC hasn't done anything to rectify that. They are soft, the defensive schemes are often too complicated resulting in blown coverages, and the overall discipline is just not there.

I'd love another shot at the 49ers!

Ignoring the mis matchup factor can be fatal, q.v. 2007 Pats-Jints etc.

Seem like the Aaron Rogers era is still having birthing problems. Despite his growing legacy of post season disappointments, he's still a top 3 QB. The top ranked QBs Manning and Rogers flameouts show just how hard it is to succeed in the post season, something many Pats fans and most Pats haters both seem to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News