PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL investigating Saints for placing bounties on players(merged X2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Williams is done.

2 or 3 year ban on the way.

player suspensions and loss of draft picks.

As a pats fan that still has to listen to spygate bull****. If the saints take the medicine and move on we should not go down the road of continuing to mention it 5 years after the fact.

but if the Jets or the Steelers are in anyway involved. I'll be printing the t-shirts.

Williams is done.

As a pats fan that still has to listen to spygate bull****. If the saints take the medicine and move on we should not go down the road of continuing to mention it 5 years after the fact.

but if the Jets or the Steelers are in anyway involved. I'll be printing the t-shirts.
it's starting to resemble one of those things that will go away faster because it's more concentrated now on multiple teams due to one guy who moved around and in a way infected each franchise with his bounty system

if williams is banned from the nfl for life, then it will go away IMO

this is bigger than just the saints

Williams is done.

I'd say that severe penalties are very likely. A slap on the wrist would make the Commish look like a complete hypocrite.

This couldn't have come at a worse time for the Saints because of the recent focus on concussions. Player safety is now high on the agenda and this is just the kind of thing that could lead to multiple lawsuits.

The question now is just how far it's going to go. I don't see Payton, the Saints GM and players escaping this unscathed. How far after that? Will other teams be investigated? Williams' former teams have already entered into the discussion. This could be a watershed moment for Goodel, or he may hope to play damage control by penalizing the Saints and saying the right things, and do nothing.

Last edited:
Not necessarily.
If he just goes off and punishes the Saints and then it breaks about the other teams; he will have to match the punishments in the others too. And if he has to start doing suspensions of large numbers of players/coaches it will definitely affect the quality of the product on the field.

You would think that, but during spygate, evidence came out about other teams taping, and nothing was done. Spygate was a witchhunt. It is amazing that this is not.

HEY LETS ALL YELL AND CALL EACH OTHER NAMES, JOKER-WHOSE-DECK-IS-SHORT-A-FEW-CARDS!

Lies? I posted the source of everything I posted.

Nope, I posted that videotaping of offensive and defensive signals is never allowed, and I posted the source of that statement. I can post a few more sources if it helps you calm down a bit.

I suppose, but it has a many qualities that make it better than real leather, and it pumped lots of money into my home town.

Who appointed YOU the judge and jury of who is a Patriots fan?

Joker, indeed.

So me, Mike Reiss, the Boston Globe, etc are all liars, and you, the Guardian of the Faith, are without doubt correct.

How about Belichick?

Nothing in there is about the location of cameras, and nothing in the NFL statement penalizing Belechick said anything about the location of cameras, it said taping of signals is forbidden.

If that upsets you to the point of spewing green bile everywhere, maybe you should take some time off.

Using the media as a source in an instance where the devil is in the details was your first mistake. There was for a long time a sticky thread here that explained and debunked many of the misconceptions and misperceptions about the rules on videotaping, but apparently Ian thought we were past needing it since it's no longer there. Perhaps a kind mod could post a link or PM you one so you could read up on a subject the media did a piss poor job of researching due to being caught up in a group think mentality at the time and not since wanting to appear to be NEP homers or apologists...

John Tomase had 2 (count 'em) sources who assured him that there was a tape in existence that was filmed at the Rams walkthrough practice before Super Bowl XXXVI. Only it turns out there never was. 3-4 days ago national mediots who are supposed to be insiders were insisting they had multiple sources who confirmed Peyton Manning was in Miami throwing the ball to Reggie Wayne. Turns out he'd been in NC at Duke all week working with his former OC and some other Colt soon to be FA's. Someone from this site had to correct Greg Bedard the other day for reporting that the franchise tag doesn't count against the cap until a player signs it. Mediots make lousy sources. Half the time they are just regurgitating group speak or think or making up answers as they go because people expect them to have them and they don't want to disappoint their followers... They seldom acknowledge their mistakes because even if they do they realize the damage is already done. Most people tend to believe the first thing they hear and become functionally deaf to factual evidence to the contrary thereafter. Which is why it's often so difficult for the system to find impartial or untainted jurors these days.

Last edited:
Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams...crafted their dirty style together

Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams...crafted their dirty style together

Yup, learned at the feet of the great Buddy Ryan...

And Jeff was one of the handful of bastions of integrity of the game seated along side Polian and the other frauds who inhabit the Competition Committee on whom the rookie Commissioner leaned for guidance in how to handle Belichick's punishment...

Jeff btw has already been reinstated to his chair on that committee, one he never really vacated - he was penciled in as a consultant and his chair left vacant - during his one year hiatus after getting canned in Tennessee. Even St. Dungy has stated that Fisher was running the same program the whole time he was coaching for the Oilers turned Titans.

It's in the $10B+ league's interest to close this out quickly and move on. This is easily done by focusing punishment primarily on Williams and the Saints' GM. Those 2 will get the big punishment. Lost in all this will be players and teams. The ramifications are too debilitating to the product on the field. A deal will be struck with the NFLPA to minimize player lawsuits in return for minimal player discipline from Goodell. Prepare to read a NFL office sponsored campaign of mediot rationalization defending the Saints org from severe draft or franchise tag punishment because of 2 "bad apples" who have already been punished. Owners will fear undiscovered similar activities on their own teams. Jeff Fischer the cancer in the competition committee will whisper in Roger's ear to tone deeper investigation down for the good of the league thereby saving himself from being outed. Goodell will use all of this to avoid heavy draft penalties on NO.

Watch, this is pretty much what will happen.

Last edited:
You know when Pats haters talk about running up the score they often cite the game against Washington in 07. With whats come to light over the past few days, i wonder how many of them will reconsider who the ******* in that situation really was.

Where's the good EX-senator from Pennsylvania when we need him.

Oh wait... San Fran's in the NFC, maybe Nancy Pelosi will lead the charge.

Can anyone remember or come up with some kind of list where Patriots players going up against a team with Williams on the other sideline got injured?

Someone mentioned Faulk already

I would have to go back and look at the individual games the Pats played against teams he worked with over the year, but via Pro Football Reference here is a list of places he has worked as a coach in the NFL.

• 1990-92: Houston Oilers, Defensive Quality Control
  • 1993: Houston Oilers, Special Teams
  • 1994-96: Houston Oilers, Linebackers
  • 1997-2000: Oilers/Titans, Defensive Coordinator
  • 2001-03: Buffalo Bills, Head Coach
  • 2004-07: Washington Redskins, Asst HC/Defensive Coordinator
  • 2008: Jacksonville Jaguars: Asst HC/Defensive Coordinator
  • 2009-11: New Orleans Saints: Defensive Coordinator

NFL coaches Williams has worked for: Jack Del Rio, Jeff Fisher, Joe Gibbs, Jack Pardee and Sean Payton.

Williams' games versus the Patriots:
  • 11/30/09: Saints 38, Pats 17
  • 10/28/07: Pats 52, Redskins 7
  • 12/27/03: Pats 31, Bills 0
  • 09/07/03: Bills 31, Pats 0
  • 12/08/02: Pats 27, Bills 17
  • 11/03/02: Pats 38, Bills 7
  • 12/16/01: Pats 12, Bills 9
  • 11/11/01: Pats 21, Bills 11
  • 11/20/98: Pats 27, Oilers 16
  • 10/17/93: Oilers 28, Pats 14
  • 09/22/91: Pats 24, Oilers 20

Make whatever conclusions you want about me for saying this - but this is the first time in a month I've typed espn.com into my browser, or checked any national sports.

It feels alright to see someone else take some BS from the sports world.

That said - I do have mixed feelings on this. If the Patriots were caught doing this, maybe I would look harder to rationalize it? I don't know - but my immediate reaction is that it's disturbing. I would've expected the NFL had evolved enough to this point where organizations would be able to rein these activities in.

Obviously not. As it is, I think the Saints should be heavily punished. I think this is dramatically more of a scandal than spygate, and the fine should reflect that. When you take the witch-hunt element out of spygate, at the end of the day, it was about breaking a trivial rule and memo. Nothing more.

Stealing signals is permitted - and expected in the NFL.

Players purposely injuring other players - that is no longer supposed to be a part of the game, but sure, maybe it is. But players being REWARDED for that activity?? That's something different altogether.

Williams should face a huge suspension. Others need to be reprimanded as well. Saints should lose draft picks.

HEY LETS ALL YELL AND CALL EACH OTHER NAMES, JOKER-WHOSE-DECK-IS-SHORT-A-FEW-CARDS!

Just because you posted a "source" for everything doesn't mean what you posted is truth.

Nope, I posted that videotaping of offensive and defensive signals is never allowed, and I posted the source of that statement. I can post a few more sources if it helps you calm down a bit.

No. What you posted was one reporter's interpretation of the rules. What you failed to do was post the actual rule as it is stated in the ByLaws. That is what Joker did. Post the actual rule.

Joker, indeed.

So, you are allowed to exercise your 1st Amendment rights, but Joker isn't allowed to exercise his? Friggin tool..

So me, Mike Reiss, the Boston Globe, etc are all liars, and you, the Guardian of the Faith, are without doubt correct.

Mike Reiss is just wrong. Wouldn't be the first time Mike has been wrong. Won't be the last. You, on the other hand, are a liar.

How about Belichick?

Nothing in there is about the location of cameras, and nothing in the NFL statement penalizing Belechick said anything about the location of cameras, it said taping of signals is forbidden.

You really should learn how to READ. Belichick clearly stated that he felt there was grey area in the rules that led to his misinterpretation. Clearly your mind is incapable of thinking beyond your irrational BS to think of other possibilities.

If that upsets you to the point of spewing green bile everywhere, maybe you should take some time off.

Maybe you should be the one to go. All your posts have the taint of you being a TROLL. Trolls aren't welcome here. Maybe if you posted

Using the media as a source in an instance where the devil is in the details was your first mistake. There was for a long time a sticky thread here that explained and debunked many of the misconceptions and misperceptions about the rules on videotaping, but apparently Ian thought we were past needing it since it's no longer there. Perhaps a kind mod could post a link or PM you one so you could read up on a subject the media did a piss poor job of researching due to being caught up in a group think mentality at the time and not since wanting to appear to be NEP homers or apologists...

John Tomase had 2 (count 'em) sources who assured him that there was a tape in existence that was filmed at the Rams walkthrough practice before Super Bowl XXXVI. Only it turns out there never was. 3-4 days ago national mediots who are supposed to be insiders were insisting they had multiple sources who confirmed Peyton Manning was in Miami throwing the ball to Reggie Wayne. Turns out he'd been in NC at Duke all week working with his former OC and some other Colt soon to be FA's. Someone from this site had to correct Greg Bedard the other day for reporting that the franchise tag doesn't count against the cap until a player signs it. Mediots make lousy sources. Half the time they are just regurgitating group speak or think or making up answers as they go because people expect them to have them and they don't want to disappoint their followers... They seldom acknowledge their mistakes because even if they do they realize the damage is already done. Most people tend to believe the first thing they hear and become functionally deaf to factual evidence to the contrary thereafter. Which is why it's often so difficult for the system to find impartial or untainted jurors these days.

Unfortunately, the website that had been up has been taken down. However, all the information (or at least a good majority) was also posted on "The Bleacher report"

The Truth About Spygate: Punishing Success and Promoting Parity | Bleacher Report

You would think that, but during spygate, evidence came out about other teams taping, and nothing was done. Spygate was a witchhunt. It is amazing that this is not.

No doubt it was a witchhunt. You only have to see the slap on the wrist that Denver got for taping SF's practice.

I suppose, but it has a many qualities that make it better than real leather, and it pumped lots of money into my home town.

Joker, indeed.

How about Belichick?

I posted the rule, you posted someones opinion.
There is nothing in the rulebook that prohibits taping signals, only prohibition of where you may tape from, and no restriction on what you may tape.
BBs comments you are trying to use to back up your point are not about what was taped, but that there was a violation. The violation was the loacation, BBs misinterpretation was that it said 'for use in that game' and he never used it in that game.
There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the NFL statement that says taping signals is forbidden, because there is no such rule, you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes