PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL investigating Saints for placing bounties on players(merged X2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know who I feel personally real sad for?

Our member Pherein..probably the classiest non Pats fan on this website

......I feel bad for him,even worse than he did for us when the Pats lost the SB

Absolutely. I feel bad for the good Saints fans, and I know quite a few, that have to put up with the exaggeration that will come from the media and parroted by idiot sheepish fans around the league.

The ones that are bringing up spy gate today though to try and defend their own team can screw.

You know who I feel personally real sad for?

Our member Pherein..probably the classiest non Pats fan on this website

......I feel bad for him,even worse than he did for us when the Pats lost the SB

Agreed.......

Re: New name for the SAINTS??

I for one refuse to pig pile on Saints fans.
and I agree.

As with taping of signals, I'm sure this is much more common in the NFL than people want to believe.

They were looking to deliberately injure players, not just lay out big hits or the like. They won a Super Bowl after injuring a player they'd reportedly put a $10,000 bounty on. Pretty much any name people come up with is going to be too nice.

Last edited:
I just wish this happened to a fan base that deserves it, like the Colts/Steelers/Jets etc. The Saints have always been likeable post-Katrina.

Agreed. But this makes them decidedly less likeable, doesn't it?

That 'apology' from Williams reads as someone who is sorry he got caught, not sorry for what he did. What a piece of scum. Toss his ass from the league.

Last edited:
Agreed. But this makes them decidedly less likeable, doesn't it?

Maybe.. But I think it makes Greg Williams look worse. Their appears to be a pattern with this guy, when you take into account the Washington Post story..

Washington Redskins, New Orleans Saints had bounty systems that paid for big hits [updated] - The Insider - The Washington Post

If I am Mr. Benson(And a Saints fan), I am revving up the bus, and looking for Greg Williams, and Mickey Loomis...

Last edited:
And...that we don't have to listen to any more talk about how great and clean cut and downright all American a player Drew Brees is?

Say it ain't so!

Oh brother. Yeah, I'm sure the *QUARTERBACK* is involved in a bounty pool to take other teams' offensive players out of the game.

:bricks:

I'll take a pass on that.

3 reasons:

1. It's ignorant when other teams pigeon hole the Pats as cheaters for Spygate

2. Saints fans aren't even in the top 25 of fanbases who harp on the "Cheatriots" horsecrap.

3. I refuse to disrespect Phereins team like that. He is a class act as a visiting poster, when the overwhelming majority of rival team posters are trolling like its closing time at the club..... I'd take him over half the posters on this board.

This. I'm aboard on this tact. Phereins is an excellent poster and I'm sure these guys are going to take a pile of crap from the ignoramuses out there (like we have and which still goes on today) so put down your rocks and empathize with Saints fans a little.

oh the iron e

and I agree.

As with taping of signals, I'm sure this is much more common in the NFL than people want to believe.

Oh, i agree. Like I said in another thread, this has nothing to do with the Saints for me personally. It's just proof positive that anyone who bought the media "pats bad, everyone else good" (and the saints were one of the biggest darlings) was dead wrong. To all those fans of other NFL teams, just be glad it wasn't your team caught this time, because tomorrow it could be, so get off your high horse.

I'll take a pass on that.

3 reasons:

1. It's ignorant when other teams pigeon hole the Pats as cheaters for Spygate

2. Saints fans aren't even in the top 25 of fanbases who harp on the "Cheatriots" horsecrap.

3. I refuse to disrespect Phereins team like that. He is a class act as a visiting poster, when the overwhelming majority of rival team posters are trolling like its closing time at the club..... I'd take him over half the posters on this board.

All good points. But, the Saints sure do have Cajun egg on their faces from this little faux pas. I see nothing wrong with a little fun at their expense as long as it's not too shrill and mean-spirited. :singing:

Re: NFL investigating Saints for placing bounties on players

I'm disappointed that Payton was knowingly involved. I'd had a good opinion of him until this, if substantiated. Guess the NFL doesn't have any smoking gun evidence on Jeff Fischer's Titans whom I believe were doing something analogous but obviously better concealed.

I'm disappointed too. I liked Payton and he was one of the few that I would actually trust to run the Pats.

Schefter on NFL Live: "In week of the NFCCG, Jonathan Vilma put $10K on a table & said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'"

Maybe someone can enlighten me here but if I was making these players' money, I don't think a little 10k would motivate me..

I wonder what Pherein has to say about this. I feel bad for him. Class act. As most Saints fans. Why couldn't have this happened to the Jets, Steelers or Ravens?..

Lifetime suspension for Williams has to be considered IMO.

Re: NFL investigating Saints for placing bounties on players

Goodell has been trying to position the league as being concerned about player safety, in part to pave the way for an 18-game season. If the league is to be taken seriously about their concern about player safety, they're going to have to come down really hard on this. His 18-game season is potentially at stake here.

Besides the obvious salary cap violation, there's also the not-so-insignificant matter of income taxes. I'm sure the IRS will be very interested in how many of these payments were reported (yeah right) by the recipients. If these guys have agents that are seriously looking out for their clients' interests, there will be some amended tax returns filed next week.

Tom Curran

The Saints' penalty needs to exceed New England's

kenny-powers-shimmy.gif

Tony Dungy Blamed Peyton Manning’s Current Neck Problems on a Hit Against Washington in 2006, When Gregg Williams Was Coach

Seems Manning may have grounds for a lawsuit. It's one thing to get injured during the course of a game, it's another to be injured by players specifically being paid to do so with the knowledge of the coaching staff.

Yea, a lot lawyers are going to be drooling over this. Just for starters, isn't Peyton set to lose $25 million from the Colts in about 5 days? Plus, if he never plays again there's lost potential earnings, probably exceeding $100 million.

Yea, a lot lawyers are going to be drooling over this. Just for starters, isn't Peyton set to lose $25 million from the Colts in about 5 days? Plus, if he never plays again there's lost potential earnings, probably exceeding $100 million.

There is precedent for suing over an intentional injury during an NFL game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Hackbart
>>>>. Hackbart V. the Cincinnati Bengals became a precedent setting case. In the case the courts ruled that in the course of a professional football game an intentional infliction of an injury by one player upon another might constitute a tort. As a result of the lawsuit, the National Football League mandated that all stadiums had to be equipped with X-Ray machines. The head slap maneuver which injured Hackbart was banned. Later, rules against spearing with the helmet and helmet to helmet contact were created. Hackbart settled with the Bengals and the Broncos filed a Workman’s Compensation claim which paid for the surgery that was performed in 1976.

.>>>>>>
Hackbart v. Cincinnati Bengals, Inc., 601 F.2d 516 (10th Cir. 1979).[1]

Last edited:
I haven't read all 28 pages of this thread, so sorry if something like this has already been posted....

Defensive players are circling the wagons. On NFL Radio's Late Hits, Keith Bullock was cohosting with some guy I've never heard of. The other host said that this is being blown way out of proportion. He went on to say that these "bounties" would have to be acheived through illegal actions and an extra $2500 wouldn't offset the $50k fine a player would get so there was no reason to think this was a big deal.

Bullock chimed in with "I played for Williams for a year and there was NEVER any of this" and followed it up with "defensive players play hard and play to hurt people. A little extra money isn't going to make you play harder."

They then had Steelers LB Jason Worilds on the show. He basically echoed Bullock.

It will be interesting to see how this spin plays out going forward.

and so the spin to mitigate this damage starts...

Last edited:
I haven't read all 28 pages of this thread, so sorry if something like this has already been posted....

Defensive players are circling the wagons. On NFL Radio's Late Hits, Keith Bullock was cohosting with some guy I've never heard of. The other host said that this is being blown way out of proportion. He went on to say that these "bounties" would have to be acheived through illegal actions and an extra $2500 wouldn't offset the $50k fine a player would get so there was no reason to think this was a big deal.

Bullock chimed in with "I played for Williams for a year and there was NEVER any of this" and followed it up with "defensive players play hard and play to hurt people. A little extra money isn't going to make you play harder."

They then had Steelers LB Jason Worilds on the show. He basically echoed Bullock.

It will be interesting to see how this spin plays out going forward.

It's like I said earlier. Some players will defend this because they engaged in similar actions but not something like spy gate because they have no freakin idea what their coaches are doing behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes