PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Forces Access to Assistant Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWelker

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
An industry source has forwarded to us the 2007 revisions to the NFL media policy, which contains several interesting developments.

Most significantly, head coaches who prefer the single-voice approach are going to have to learn ventriloquism, since teams now "must provide regular and reasonable access to assistant coaches for media interviews that serve the best interests of the club and league." In other words, "[c]lubs may not put assistant coaches off limits to the media and may not unreasonably withhold permission for primary position coaches or coordinators to speak to the media."

Two of the most stringent "I'm the only one who can talk" coaches, Bill Parcells and Nick Saban, left the NFL this year. But Pats coach Bill Belichick applies the same approach, and he'll now have to change his ways.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Well, if they think BB doesn't really say much at a PC, what do you think he'll allow his asst's to actually say? I don't think the NFL can force them to give up the gameplan, say any more than BB does about injuries or say much of anything for that matter.

I have bever seen Pees or McDaniels speak. It will be weird.

I thought Mangini spoke so funny when I first saw him talk as the coach of the Jets.

Last edited:
Apparently, Josh McDaniel is going to talk about his offensive philosophy in the first pregame show.

Wilton2lg.jpg

An industry source has forwarded to us the 2007 revisions to the NFL media policy, which contains several interesting developments.

Most significantly, head coaches who prefer the single-voice approach are going to have to learn ventriloquism, since teams now "must provide regular and reasonable access to assistant coaches for media interviews that serve the best interests of the club and league." In other words, "[c]lubs may not put assistant coaches off limits to the media and may not unreasonably withhold permission for primary position coaches or coordinators to speak to the media."

Two of the most stringent "I'm the only one who can talk" coaches, Bill Parcells and Nick Saban, left the NFL this year. But Pats coach Bill Belichick applies the same approach, and he'll now have to change his ways.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
schottenheimer was also that type of coach.

Last edited:
Have to wonder if this is a rule forced by Polian or one of the other Pats haters to force them to change their ways?? It seems that the NFL is moving towards over regulating too much, but then again I do not like change. Cannot imagine that anyone who coaches here will give much info anyways.

When this story came out a couple months ago as a possibility I think it was that the team must allow their coaches to speak but not necessarily that they have to speak. Not sure how the final rule will read.

When this story came out a couple months ago as a possibility I think it was that the team must allow their coaches to speak but not necessarily that they have to speak. Not sure how the final rule will read.

That's my interpretation as well. There's nothing prohibiting Pees or McDaniel from simply saying "No Comment" unless the league mandates that Asst. Coaches must speak.

I guess what I'm saying is that, in practice, I don't see a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes