PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL final appeal brief filed

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUT....The Chris Mortensen story, where he claimed that 11 of 12 footballs were under inflated by 2 psi, which turned out to be utterly false, WAS NEVER, EVER, EVER addressed by the NFL. It's almost certain that the NFL is the ones that planted the false story in the first place, but even if not, they could have corrected that immediately, but they didn't. And that story is STILL up on espn.com (Sources: 11 of 12 Pats footballs underinflated), totally uncorrected and unaddressed.

And, according to the Patriots, they were required to sign an NDA even to see the actual numbers.

Can't use anything in those briefs as basis for a defamation claim. Court filings are privileged.
But if an attorney knowingly makes a false statement in a filing, he/she has committed an ethical violation and could be sanctioned by their State Bar.

I think the NFL is just dumbing it down in their prep to be turned down.........this kind of sweeps it up into a pile that says 'this is what we believe regardless of the court findings'

This thing lost me in the first sentence when they began complaining about the failure "to enforce the Commissioner’s eminently reasonable decision."

Eminently reasonable. Yes, that's what I'd call it :rolleyes:

It's a little bit more artful that asking the court to "rubber-stamp the Commissioner's bat-sh*t crazy decision." That's why these lawyers get paid the big bucks.:rolleyes:

But if an attorney knowingly makes a false statement in a filing, he/she has committed an ethical violation and could be sanctioned by their State Bar.

As a practical matter, this almost never happens. The attorney will just say something to the effect of "I may have been mistaken but I believed it in good faith." Even in cases where that statement will strain credibility, it will fly 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.

Thanks for posting, but I'm not going to focus on this until we know who the three judges are a couple of weeks before the Appeal is heard.

In the name of all that's good and holy, I pray for a quick and just resolution to this idiocy. By just, I mean a unanimous affirmation of Berman's decision with a stern rebuke to Goodell followed by a quick denial of cert. by the SCOTUS.

We can then move on to the real issue . . . Goodell's fitness as NFL Commissioner.

CW2aw6qUAAI_Unh.jpg

"Even if we don't have ****-all for a case against Brady it doesn't matter."

And, sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a point.

Funny, but the Second Circuit is very strong. The problem is it has judges who go back to Reagan and Carter, with a bunch appointed by Clinton, Obama and one Bush or the other. They are very diverse ideologically...when I learned enough about Berman, I was very confident that Brady would at least get a fair hearing and, in my gut, I thought he would prevail. Let's see who the three judges are...

The good news is that the NFL needs to convince two of three, so the table is tilted towards Brady (at last).

According to many here, that stuff is completely fine because they're grown men and should be able to deal with it.
Except that the evidence is pointing to the fact that there were no threats or slurs and that is just the Giants making stuff up to make an excuse for Beckham..

Can't use anything in those briefs as basis for a defamation claim. Court filings are privileged.

So you can lie through your teeth and make sh!t up in court filings (which are public documents) and not face any consequence for it?? No wonder out legal system is FUBARED..

I really, really, REALLY wish that the entire deflate gate episode was on trial, instead of merely the "process". Just one piece that is pissing me off today (among many):

The NFL, within an hour of its publication on espn.com, issued a rebuttal "correcting" the espn story that the NFL pulled funding from the CTE study at BU. They are well aware what goes up on espn and if there is false information (or information the NFL wants to address) put out there, the NFL has demonstrated that they absolutely will hop right on it and deal with it.

BUT....The Chris Mortensen story, where he claimed that 11 of 12 footballs were under inflated by 2 psi, which turned out to be utterly false, WAS NEVER, EVER, EVER addressed by the NFL. It's almost certain that the NFL is the ones that planted the false story in the first place, but even if not, they could have corrected that immediately, but they didn't. And that story is STILL up on espn.com (Sources: 11 of 12 Pats footballs underinflated), totally uncorrected and unaddressed.

I know we all know this, and this is just rehashing old news, but the way the NFL jumped all over this CTE story just highlights how obvious it is they were completely out to get the Patriots in the deflate gate situation.

Not only wasn't it addressed. It came out that the NFL prevented the Patriots from correcting the public for weeks.

As long as no one is thinking about concussion, wife beaters, elevator knockouts and child whipping running backs the brief will have served its distractive purpose.

THIS

which is why this story will continue to dominate in the offseason. keeps attention from real issues.
nfl has no problem ****ting on it's greatest player. hopefully, tom files a defamation suit against these douchebags

CW2aw6qUAAI_Unh.jpg

"Even if we don't have ****-all for a case against Brady it doesn't matter."

And, sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a point.

This is why I feel it's important for the court to accept and take into account the Amicus Curiae brief.

A court may hang its hat on, "well this is a pretty stupid decision, but he's the arbitrator."

It's a little harder to do that when there's some evidence of bias and fraud.

In other words, it doesn't matter if the conclusion Goodell reached was wrong, gloriously wrong, laughably wrong, indefensibly wrong, so long as HE believes he's right, and his viewpoint can be justified even one part in a million, then he can issue any penalty he wants and there's really nothing any player or court can do about it.

That's exactly what the NFL is arguing here. For real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back