PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA/Brady reply brief to NFL/Goodell deflategate appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving no stone unturned, they are citing the recently discovered info that a team was "punished" for swapping balls in 07, but not punished nearly as harshly.

Sounds like more of what we've already read a hundred times. I do like that they put front and center that, even if for some weird reason Berman was overturned, there would still be other issues--most prominently Goodell's evident partiality--that would still need to be ruled on. While I sure hope it doesn't come to that, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for a court to rule on that.

Citing Curran is a nice touch, naturally it took Curran about 20 minutes to retweet that, don't blame him.

Last edited:
A player could be caught using a steroid, admit to doing it, claim that he did it in an effort to cheat the game, proclaim that he had every intention to undermine the integrity of the game, and vow to try to do it again — and he’d still be eligible for a suspension of only four games.

Lmao Florio can be hilarious at times.

I hear the whiny fans of other teams yelling about how Brady is supposedly clinging to technicalities.

Will they ever grasp that the court case is a labor dispute?

Brady simply cannot argue for upholding the ruling based upon his factual innocence, because this is a dispute over labor law. Thus he is emphasizing Goodell’s decision to trample his collectively-bargained rights.

Brady is not admitting to what we all know, by now, that he did not do. He is merely saying that even if you believed the NFL’s shoddy misrepresentation of the facts of the case, the punishment is fundamentally unfair, illegal, and wholly without precedent.

Any mention of that team that was disciplined for tampering with balls a couple years ago that came out a couple weeks ago?

I hear the whiny fans of other teams yelling about how Brady is supposedly clinging to technicalities.

Will they ever grasp that the court case is a labor dispute?

Considering that they either deny or remain ignorant of basic physics, accept every lie and obfuscation tactic the NFL has used in this situation, and believe every negative Patriots article produced by a biased media, no, there's no way they are going to grasp what the court case is about. :D

Leaving no stone unturned, they are citing the recently discovered info that a team was "punished" for swapping balls in 07, but not punished nearly as harshly.

I skimmed the pdf and didn't see this... do you know where that is?

some great zingers...Kessler is a GOD!

...Goodell’s disdain for this collectively bargained remedy did not give him the
right to “dispense his own brand of industrial justice.”

...To appreciate the extraordinary overbreadth of the NFL’s position, one need
only consider its logical bounds. The NFL’s position would authorize Goodell to
use his “general authority” to discipline players for “conduct detrimental” to suspend
a receiver for using “stickum” if he believed the collectively bargained and
announced fine for this conduct was too lenient. JA384. Similarly, it would authorize
the Commissioner to impose an eight-game suspension for a first-time steroids
violation if he believed the bargained-for and announced four-game suspension
was too light. The NFL’s position is the antithesis of “deference” to bargained-
for labor-management relations: It is a sweeping grab for power that is
contrary to collectively bargained penalties.
No arbitrator may affirm discipline
that so blatantly defies collectively bargained penalties and the required notice.

...The NFL does not discuss the “player equipment policy” until page 43 of
its brief. When it finally does so, it does not dispute that the Policy’s provisions
are “more specific” than Goodell’s “general conduct detrimental authority,” or that
“deflating game balls is an ‘equipment violation.’” Br. 43, 45. The NFL argues
that this is irrelevant because Goodell had “no obligation” to “forgo[] [his Article
46] authority in favor of equipment policies crafted for more minor offenses”—he
simply made a “choice between the two contractual provisions,” each of which was
“potentially applicable.” Br. 45, 43. This is pure sophistry.

Goodell’s “choice” was to ignore both the applicable fine and the Policy’s repeated notice
that, for equipment violations: “First offenses will result in fines.” JA384.6

....Nothing in the Commissioner’s general conduct detrimental authority allows him to override a collectively bargained fine announced to the players. The fact that the behavior may be “conduct detrimental” does not empower him to “choose” to disregard the parties’ agreement on the penalty or the NFL’s obligation to provide notice. Once it becomes clear that Goodell ignored these CBA requirements, nothing remains of the NFL’s appeal.

...no player reading the Policy’s five unambiguous assurances that “First offenses will result in fines” could plausibly have notice of a suspension for first-time equipment tampering.

...It is no answer for the NFL to assert Goodell’s award transformed Brady’s
alleged state of mind into “participat[ion]” in a conspiratorial “scheme” in which
he “induce[d]” ball tampering. Compare JA329 with SPA51, 54. Although
Goodell used the word “scheme” fourteen times, it appears nowhere in the 139-
page Wells Report. Goodell’s “quantum leap” (JA1458) in using these words
“[wa]s wholly inconsonant with his fact-finding, [suggesting] that he was not fulfilling his obligation to interpret and apply the parties’ agreement.”

CONCLUSION
Judicial deference to arbitration awards is not equivalent to a rubber stamp.
Courts must vacate awards where the arbitrator defies the essence of the CBA by
declining to discuss the applicable collectively bargained penalty in favor of his
own brand of industrial justice. The award here sustained discipline imposed
without notice and did so without regard to fundamental standards of procedural
fairness. The judgment below should be affirmed.

Last edited:
Here's one place where you can grab it. I've not had a chance to look at it yet.

http://thesportsesquires.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/nflpa-brief.pdf

@McCannSportsLaw and @WALLACHLEGAL are doing some tweeting about it.

Hahaha. Nice little literary slap.

Thus, for all of its sound and fury, the “non-cooperation” issue is inextricably intertwined with the alleged equipment violation and cannot cure Goodell’s fundamental failure to heed the collectively bargained penalty and the CBA’s notice requirement.

Interesting that Kessler barely repeats the arguments that were left untouched by Berman in the original case, fully arguing that those should be left to Berman if the 2nd circuit does not affirm the lowercourt ruling. Whereas the NFL argues all should be considered and ruled on de novo by the appellate court.

Typically I'd get psyched about this but coming on the heels of two losses in a row, a ton of injuries, the two main AFC rivals looking strong, the offense looking bad....I just can't get in rah rah Brady mood...:(

Typically I'd get psyched about this but coming on the heels of two losses in a row, a ton of injuries, the two main AFC rivals looking strong, the offense looking bad....I just can't get in rah rah Brady mood...:(

I'm always in rah rah Brady mood...hm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back