PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com ranking of backup QBs: Mallett #11, Tebow #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he brought TT in to COMPETE (and perhaps PUSH Mallett) so if he is pushing him - whose to say he can't (unlikely though it may be) PASS HIM..... making Mallet trade-bait. Then, in that case the 2 he keeps are not the 2 you think.

It would be best for the Pats that Mallet looks better than Tebow in preseason and retains his #2 spot. IF Tebow plays better, that decreases Mallet's trade value. Tebow would need to show enough so that BB will feel comfortable trading Mallet.

Seriously; if Denver and New York treated Tebow bad then Mallett has a real bone to pick with his treatment here. Poor guys only gotten to throw 4 passes in 2 years.

In all fairness Mallett didn't have to sit on the sideline during that time and watch his #1 QB buttfumble a TD to the other team and repeatedly throw touchdown passes for the opposing team all season. :D

SF

I don't know where you got me arguing that the team was a big believer in Tebow out of all that... but... okay... reading comp was never your strong suit as numerous times you have attempted to spin what I wrote into something it was not.

Champ Bailey ALSO said the defense was gassed because it seemed like they never got a break and were always trotting back out there after a few plays. That must've been Decker's fault or something, cuz Tebow was REALLY good. *sarcasm* He ALSO said prior to the Pats game last year that looking back at the playoff game against the Pats, he really didn't feel like that was a roster of 53 guys that really felt like they could win the game during that week leading up to the game. This is right after the Pittsburgh game you Tebots hold on to like some life preserver of inspiration, and this is WITH Tebow as the leader. I would have thought they'd be riding some emotional high that game, but it never came to be I guess. That game seemed to me like it was over in 5 minutes.

The novelty of having a loud college star must have worn off by then, cuz that was NOT an "inspired" team out there. In fact, it looked more like Champ said, a team that was no longer a big believer in themselves. Going 1-4 in the last 5 with some of the worst offensive production and a defense worn out from carrying the team all year will do that.

All that "inspirational" stuff is BS. There were a few that really liked him and stepped up their game. But overall, the "Tebow led" team quit in the playoffs. Probably got tired of carrying him while he mopped up all the credit from people like you.

Defense could only carry Tebow and his ineptitude at QB for so long before it wore on them, and it really showed against the Pats.

tumblr_mm3md7btJi1rp4ap3o1_400.jpg

It would be best for the Pats that Mallet looks better than Tebow in preseason and retains his #2 spot. IF Tebow plays better, that decreases Mallet's trade value. Tebow would need to show enough so that BB will feel comfortable trading Mallet.

If BB decides that TT is a better #2 than RM; ....THEN based on the general prejudice against TT and the general focus of most teams on certain physical attributes of QBs (height, arm strength etc) RM WILL NOT lose much/any trade value but TT's trade value will remain 0 no matter how good or poor he performs.

Sure, that TT beat out RM might put off a few teams; but I think there would still be at least 2-4 teams who would feel they were putting one over on BB to steal RM and his trade value (2nd rnder I think) would hold steady.

All that said; personally I think we keep 3 QBs.

(and NOTE: that whoever posited BB might dump TT and pick up someone elses castoff is smoking soemthing. There is not any 3rd or 4th string QB from any of the other 31 teams that is better than TT - no matter how low anybodies opinion of TT is; 3/4 depth never-played QBs are NOT better than former starters. If he does dump TT; we are just going w/ 2 QBs.)

If BB decides that TT is a better #2 than RM; ....THEN based on the general prejudice against TT and the general focus of most teams on certain physical attributes of QBs (height, arm strength etc) RM WILL NOT lose much/any trade value but TT's trade value will remain 0 no matter how good or poor he performs.

Sure, that TT beat out RM might put off a few teams; but I think there would still be at least 2-4 teams who would feel they were putting one over on BB to steal RM and his trade value (2nd rnder I think) would hold steady.

All that said; personally I think we keep 3 QBs.

(and NOTE: that whoever posited BB might dump TT and pick up someone elses castoff is smoking soemthing. There is not any 3rd or 4th string QB from any of the other 31 teams that is better than TT - no matter how low anybodies opinion of TT is; 3/4 depth never-played QBs are NOT better than former starters. If he does dump TT; we are just going w/ 2 QBs.)

Good post.

Why is it whenever there is a thread that has TEBOW in the title all of the Tebow fans get bullied? It seems to be a crime amongst some to actually like Tebow and talk about him in a thread that has his name in the title.

Why is it whenever there is a thread that has TEBOW in the title all of the Tebow fans get bullied? It seems to be a crime amongst some to actually like Tebow and talk about him in a thread that has his name in the title.

Bullied? This country has serious issues with bullying, teens taking their own lives over it.

This my friend is trash talking fans, don't take it so seriously and it won't upset you so much.

Brad Johnson has a SB ring.

In Denver, Orton was more productive, scored more points, and had longer drives out there. When Tebow took over, ALL production went south except for the running game, which came nowhere near making up for all the lowering of scores, yardage, third down conversions, and punting the ball away after three plays all the time.

Yet Orton got the blame for the losses and Tebow mopped up the credit for the wins. So how is it that more games were won with less production? it's the defense. I don't know why that is so hard a concept for a lot of these people to understand. 22 guys on the field, and they want to give credit to the 11th best player on the Broncos offense that year. This isn't to say I think Orton was any good either. I don't. But Tebow's record would be equal or worse than Orton's if he played the prior 2 years when the Broncos defense allowed an average of almost 30 points per game. How is it then that Orton went 23-2 when the defense gave up 15 points or less? (Most of that in Chicago.)

Logical conclusion, BOTH sucked when the game demanded offensive production to win the game. Keep the game down to 2 scores for a whole 60 minutes, I don't see why people have a problem admitting the defense did the heavy lifting that season waiting for the boy wonder to finally show up after teams dropped back into soft prevents with 5 minutes left.

Actually, the Broncos had a very good run-blocking OL that was not so good at pass-blocking. Orton isn't a very mobile QB, but Tebow is, and that's one of the reasons that the offense improved when Tebow became the starter. They played to each other's strengths. I'm pretty tired of hearing the oft-parroted fallacy that the DEFENSE was what won the games. The DEFENSE didn't suddenly change when Tebow became the starter; it was the same DEFENSE that Orton had. And the same offense, minus Brandon Lloyd.

Nobody said Tebow was perfect, but it chaps my ***** when he is expected to be a perfect QB in his first season as a starter, when he didn't even START the whole season. For Pete's sake, Blaine Gabbert SUCKS but has been given much more time to play and develop than Tebow. Do YOU think Gabby is better than Mallett? I don't. Nor do I think Gabby is better than Tebow.

Anyway, back to the original topic of who's the better backup QB, Mallett or Tebow. I don't have much Mallett info for comparison purposes besides Scout reports, and what do they matter? After all, Brady was drafted in the 7th based on scouting reports. Mallett's pro stats are not as good as Tebow's and he definitely didn't have a season where he had the opportunity to take over as starter like Tebow did or help his team win a playoff game. Mallett's college stats aren't as good as Tebow's, especially when you add in Tebow's rushing yards and TDs, and the fact that he broke both Emmitt Smith's and Herschel Walker's records. But Mallett is a giant so who knows? And he's been Brady's backup before Tebow ever came to the team, so I understand fans who have loyalty to that. I'm going to keep an open mind, as I hope everyone else does. Not that it matters. What matters is what BB and JMcD think.

Brady was actually good though and showed it when he got his start. Pats fans, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Pats carried FOUR QBs that year and did so in part because Belichik saw something in Brady early on before he started, and made sure he stayed on the roster. He didn't win a bunch of games with 3-10 offensive points and some lucky break of having a timely pick six from his defense, or running backs run out of bounds while he went on and posted the absolute worst passing performance in the league. DEAD LAST in every major category passing the ball.

It was clear to anyone watching that Brady was the real deal. Only ones who thought that about Tebow were wasted on the Kool-aid a long time ago.

DEAD LAST in every major category = not very good. So what if he didn't turn over the ball quite as much. Means little if you punt the ball away 10 times per game and accomplish almost NOTHING offensively.

SEVERAL of those games, he had 0 to 3 offensive points heading into the 4th quarter. you'd be lucky to win a bowl of snot with that unless the defense is carrying you through he first 3 quarters being almost equally as stingy against the other team.
Of course there's no way in hades that BB sees any kind of "spark" in Tebow, otherwise he would've signed him to the Pats and ... oh .... errrrr ..... I must have misread your post.

I still have no idea why so many stick to this "2nd rounder" status for a potential trade for Mallett. Why on earth would someone give up a 2nd rounder when:

1) There's absolutely no tape to watch to judge one way or another. GM's and coaches need to see him actually read coverages, break down assignments, take on pressure, and make pinpoint throws. As of now, he's just another JAG who was a mid round pick. Judging by the selections of many other NFL teams in terms of backup QB's this offseason who all suck, the market for Ryan Mallett is nowhere near what it is on patsfans.com

2) He has zero NFL experience aside from going 1 for 4 with an INT

3) We chose him with a 3rd round selection. How the hell did he suddenly move UP the ranks into the 2nd rounder grouping? (Usually reserved for very, very good NFL players when assessing potential trade compensation)

4) They could simply wait one more year in 2014 and get him as a very cheap free agent for absolutely nothing. Is it really going to be that important for someone to give up a 2nd round pick (!!!) to snag Mallett one year early before he's a free agent? By the way, what kind of potential contract do you give a guy like Mallett when giving up your 2nd round pick, when you can have a 1st or 2nd round QB in the draft for close to peanuts these days?

Honestly? This has been going on since day one. When are we going to give up on this exercise? This is the exact same thing as the Brian Hoyer situation, but at least he actually had some more experience. For the record, we received a big fat ZERO in trade compensation for him.

Bullied? This country has serious issues with bullying, teens taking their own lives over it.

This my friend is trash talking fans, don't take it so seriously and it won't upset you so much.

Good advice. To take it one step further, it isn't a personal attack on anyone supporting Tebow. It's simply the fact and frustration of a bunch of Tebow followers popping out of the woodwork to somehow twist any and every conversation into being about...Tim Tebow; who seems like a very nice and wholesome individual who I'd love to be a part of my family. The problem however, is that we're discussing him in a football sense, and he currently is battling to make the team as the 3rd string QB, and in all actuality--he's very lucky to even have that opportunity.

My suggestion to the cult of Tebow followers would be either to tone it down a bit (we all understand that he's a great human being, no sarcasm), or simply reflect on other issues that relate to the subject of Patriot football.

I still have no idea why so many stick to this "2nd rounder" status for a potential trade for Mallett. Why on earth would someone give up a 2nd rounder when:

1) There's absolutely no tape to watch to judge one way or another. GM's and coaches need to see him actually read coverages, break down assignments, take on pressure, and make pinpoint throws. As of now, he's just another JAG who was a mid round pick. Judging by the selections of many other NFL teams in terms of backup QB's this offseason who all suck, the market for Ryan Mallett is nowhere near what it is on patsfans.com

3) We chose him with a 3rd round selection. How the hell did he suddenly move UP the ranks into the 2nd rounder grouping? (Usually reserved for very, very good NFL players when assessing potential trade compensation)

4) They could simply wait one more year in 2014 and get him as a very cheap free agent for absolutely nothing. Is it really going to be that important for someone to give up a 2nd round pick (!!!) to snag Mallett one year early before he's a free agent? By the way, what kind of potential contract do you give a guy like Mallett when giving up your 2nd round pick, when you can have a 1st or 2nd round QB in the draft for close to peanuts these days?

Honestly? This has been going on since day one. When are we going to give up on this exercise? This is the exact same thing as the Brian Hoyer situation, but at least he actually had some more experience. For the record, we received a big fat ZERO in trade compensation for him.

Because it happens.

The Seattle Seahawks and San Diego Chargers have completed a trade that sends third-string Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle for draft picks.

The Seahawks swapped the 40th pick in the second round with San Diego's 60th pick and also will send the Chargers a third-round pick in the 2011 draft.

Seattle Seahawks acquire San Diego Chargers' Charlie Whitehurst - ESPN

Whitehurst was drafted in the third round and had only four NFL snaps. Sound familiar? The trade is the equivalent to a late second or top third round pick.

I'm not saying that it would happen, but there is recent historical precedence.

Good advice. To take it one step further, it isn't a personal attack on anyone supporting Tebow. It's simply the fact and frustration of a bunch of Tebow followers popping out of the woodwork to somehow twist any and every conversation into being about...Tim Tebow; who seems like a very nice and wholesome individual who I'd love to be a part of my family. The problem however, is that we're discussing him in a football sense, and he currently is battling to make the team as the 3rd string QB, and in all actuality--he's very lucky to even have that opportunity.

My suggestion to the cult of Tebow followers would be either to tone it down a bit (we all understand that he's a great human being, no sarcasm), or simply reflect on other issues that relate to the subject of Patriot football.

Some teams, like Browns, Tampa, Vikings or Titans etc, could need a new QB, even if the have a 7-9 or 8-8 season. By then top 3-4 QBs could be gone in the draft. Then a trade for Mallett might be better then useing a 1 round pick on the 5 or 6 QB in the draft. Better to get another position and swap 2 or 3 round picks.

Even IF there are alot of nice QBs in next years draft, there could be more teams in need, then there infact is.

Realistic how many teams could need a new one: Bills?, Jets?, Browns, Bengals?, Titans, Jaxs, Texans?, Raiders, Chargers, Eagles?, Cowboys?, Bears?, Vikings, Lions?, Falcons?, Tampa?, Cardinals?, Rams?

? = Iam not sure they have a Francies QB.

Then add: Broncos, Patriots, Saints, teams WHO might be looking for a backup/furture QB.

I doubt Mallett is the long term answer here, Bradys contract should tell us something about it. So in 3-4 years we might need one. So we might draft one next year or in 2015. Also guessing Tebow is here as backup, not for this season, but in 2015. That BB and Crew could use Tebow in other rolls and stuff is another talk.

I'm not sure they have a Francies QB either....rumors are the Jets have had a QB named Francine the last 4 seasons but that's yet to be confirmed

Because it happens.

Seattle Seahawks acquire San Diego Chargers' Charlie Whitehurst - ESPN

Whitehurst was drafted in the third round and had only four NFL snaps. Sound familiar? The trade is the equivalent to a late second or top third round pick.

I'm not saying that it would happen, but there is recent historical precedence.

One ridiculous trade (or even a couple of ridiculous trades) doesn't make it the "norm" in today's NFL despite what some here want to think or try to convince themselves--and that's coming from someone who started a pre draft thread advocating the selection of a higher round QB that year.

We heard the same thing about Brian Hoyer, yet he brought nothing...not a 2nd, not a 3rd, not a 4th...nothing.

We've been hearing this about Mallett now for at least a couple of offseasons, and yet...again, nothing.

If no one took a chance in this past draft's pathetic QB class, then why would anyone think that they'll suddenly take a chance in the very last year prior to him hitting free agency when they can simply get him for free?

I am outright shocked that someone as knowledgable as yourself regarding draft issues would believe for one second that Ryan Mallett will net us a 2nd round draft pick. He's nothing more than a mediocre (at best) backup QB who hasn't proven anything in terms of picking up NFL speed, the ability to read defenses, making proper calls/adjustments, etc. And that isn't even bringing accuracy or correct decisions into account.

Some teams, like Browns, Tampa, Vikings or Titans etc, could need a new QB, even if the have a 7-9 or 8-8 season. By then top 3-4 QBs could be gone in the draft. Then a trade for Mallett might be better then useing a 1 round pick on the 5 or 6 QB in the draft. Better to get another position and swap 2 or 3 round picks.

Even IF there are alot of nice QBs in next years draft, there could be more teams in need, then there infact is.

Realistic how many teams could need a new one: Bills?, Jets?, Browns, Bengals?, Titans, Jaxs, Texans?, Raiders, Chargers, Eagles?, Cowboys?, Bears?, Vikings, Lions?, Falcons?, Tampa?, Cardinals?, Rams?

That isn't what I'm asking. I understand the premise that certain teams may need another QB, that happens every single year.

I am asking why someone would part with a 2nd round pick when they could simply wait one more year and get him in free agency for nothing at all. If no one attempted to bring him with this past draft's insanely pathetic QB class, then you're saying that they'd prefer to spend a 2nd round pick next season for a player who is 4+ yrs older than any other prospect? Again...then you'd be getting into a very sticky situation regarding how much money to pay him. Do you give him 5+ million a year? Certainly if you're giving up a 2nd, you don't want him as a backup. Would Mallett even agree to be a starting QB at a lowly 5 million a year when the bar is set much higher for starting QBs? That's just one more aspect that I don't believe any GM would want to take. It'd be difficult to try and come up with a reasonable pact for both sides, at least at this current point in time. If Mallett is showcased and does very well, that could obviously change.

Some people here seem to seriously undervalue the whole NFL trading system in terms of potential value and compensation. When was the last time that you saw a 2nd rounder traded for a player who wasn't at least somewhat proven or in the upper tier of NFL caliber and talent?

I think that we'd be lucky to get a 4th round pick for Ryan Mallett at this point in time, which makes the whole issue non-existent due to it not being worth it to Belichick, but I suppose everyone will have their own opinion.

Anything is always possible, so we can't forget that, but I think Ryan Mallett is somewhat of a "legend" around here in terms of what we feel that other teams think of him. Just my opinion.

One ridiculous trade (or even a couple of ridiculous trades) doesn't make it the "norm" in today's NFL despite what some here want to think or try to convince themselves--and that's coming from someone who started a pre draft thread advocating the selection of a higher round QB that year.

We heard the same thing about Brian Hoyer, yet he brought nothing...not a 2nd, not a 3rd, not a 4th...nothing.

We've been hearing this about Mallett now for at least a couple of offseasons, and yet...again, nothing.

If no one took a chance in this past draft's pathetic QB class, then why would anyone think that they'll suddenly take a chance in the very last year prior to him hitting free agency when they can simply get him for free?

I am outright shocked that someone as knowledgable as yourself regarding draft issues would believe for one second that Ryan Mallett will net us a 2nd round draft pick. He's nothing more than a mediocre (at best) backup QB who hasn't proven anything in terms of picking up NFL speed, the ability to read defenses, making proper calls/adjustments, etc. And that isn't even bringing accuracy or correct decisions into account.

Nowhere did I say that it would happen. all I pointed out is that it has happened in the past. And one thing I do know, is that if something has happened before, it can always happen again.

It was interesting that the two teams reportedly interested in trading for Mallett were the Browns and the Bucs - two teams where at least one of the decision makers are big Belichick fans (Schiano and Lombardi).

I actually think that the team really likes Mallett and will renew his contract so I don't envisage a trade for a 2nd rounder.

Nowhere did I say that it would happen. all I pointed out is that it has happened in the past. And one thing I do know, is that if something has happened before, it can always happen again.

It was interesting that the two teams reportedly interested in trading for Mallett were the Browns and the Bucs - two teams where at least one of the decision makers are big Belichick fans (Schiano and Lombardi).

I actually think that the team really likes Mallett and will renew his contract so I don't envisage a trade for a 2nd rounder.

You're definitely right that anything can happen, so I agree with you there.

I really liked the selection of Mallett when it happened, and obviously I was in the minority. I just think that many here overvalue the potential trade compensation too.

As far as whether or not he stays? Who knows, but I wouldn't be as shocked as some, nor would I be opposed to it. He does have some experience and time put in to the system, so it's possible that they may feel that is worth building off of.

You're definitely right that anything can happen, so I agree with you there.

I really liked the selection of Mallett when it happened, and obviously I was in the minority. I just think that many here overvalue the potential trade compensation too.

As far as whether or not he stays? Who knows, but I wouldn't be as shocked as some, nor would I be opposed to it. He does have some experience and time put in to the system, so it's possible that they may feel that is worth building off of.

Thing is, if no team values him enough to offer up a second rounder, then they're not going to start valuing him enough to offer him a big contract. There has certainly been some suggestion from within the organisation that they like Mallett and I think your argument about continuity makes a lot of sense.

Thing is, if no team values him enough to offer up a second rounder, then they're not going to start valuing him enough to offer him a big contract.

Right. That is also another reason why I'd see compensation that high as coming to fruition from any one of the other 31 GM's. Not only would they be giving up a very high draft pick, they'd also have to take a chance on something that would be considered "reasonable" or realistic for a guy that would be their starting QB, and that's where it would get even stickier in my opinion.

I think the odds would be higher that he'll remain a backup QB when he's picked up or retained in free agency than someone giving up a high round pick + contract for him prior to spring of 2015. Just my opinion, but I can't see how there's a lot of evidence that points in the other direction at this point in time.

Of course that could change if/when he sees a lot of live reps in preseason games this summer, but we've also been saying that for 3 yrs now.

Right. That is also another reason why I'd see compensation that high as coming to fruition from any one of the other 31 GM's. Not only would they be giving up a very high draft pick, they'd also have to take a chance on something that would be considered "reasonable" or realistic for a guy that would be their starting QB, and that's where it would get even stickier in my opinion.

I think the odds would be higher that he'll remain a backup QB when he's picked up or retained in free agency than someone giving up a high round pick + contract for him prior to spring of 2015. Just my opinion, but I can't see how there's a lot of evidence that points in the other direction at this point in time.

Of course that could change if/when he sees a lot of live reps in preseason games this summer, but we've also been saying that for 3 yrs now.

We'll be seeing plenty of live reps this off-season. Even if Brady needs to get reps with his new receivers, I don't see them risking him too much in pre-season. Unless of-course, Tebow (ducks :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes