PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com ranking of backup QBs: Mallett #11, Tebow #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll be seeing plenty of live reps this off-season. Even if Brady needs to get reps with his new receivers, I don't see them risking him too much in pre-season. Unless of-course, Tebow (ducks :) )

Agreed.

I'm sorry, what I should've said was "if he's successful in the live game reps that he'll be seeing this summer, but we've been saying that for 3 yrs now."

His stock may definitely end up rising, but I just don't think it has reached anything close to what his legend for trade value has in the media--at least not yet anyway.

I would actually prefer him to stay on as a backup at the end of his term here, but again..contractual concerns and value are hard to try and determine at this time, and if anyone shows any kind of actual interest in him as a starter he'll likely want to go there.

Agreed.

I'm sorry, what I should've said was "if he's successful in the live game reps that he'll be seeing this summer, but we've been saying that for 3 yrs now."

His stock may definitely end up rising, but I just don't think it has reached anything close to what his legend for trade value has in the media--at least not yet anyway.

I would actually prefer him to stay on as a backup at the end of his term here, but again..contractual concerns and value are hard to try and determine at this time, and if anyone shows any kind of actual interest in him as a starter he'll likely want to go there.

FWIW, Aaron Rodgers looked like crap his first 2 years. Wasn't until his 3rd preseason that he looked like he might be a starting caliber QB.

His best buddy is guess who?...if you thought..."hey, Joker's talking about that MLB player that just got suspended for 61 games for steroids.."...that would be a YES. and our precious Aaron last year said he donate his entire salary if the charges of illegal steroid use were true...had a press conference...screamed "that's my best friend you're talking about!!!".Yeah...well...now that's odd.....hmmmm...no offensive line..gets smashed like a rag doll for 16 games...pops right up and plays like nothing ever happened...at full speed from the first game of the year until the playoffs end...arm strength 100% despite being beaten like a rag doll...and Braun ,the LIAR PROVEN,is your best friend.

nah....just coincidence I guess....

His best buddy is guess who?...if you thought..."hey, Joker's talking about that MLB player that just got suspended for 61 games for steroids.."...that would be a YES. and our precious Aaron last year said he donate his entire salary if the charges of illegal steroid use were true...had a press conference...screamed "that's my best friend you're talking about!!!".Yeah...well...now that's odd.....hmmmm...no offensive line..gets smashed like a rag doll for 16 games...pops right up and plays like nothing ever happened...at full speed from the first game of the year until the playoffs end...arm strength 100% despite being beaten like a rag doll...and Braun ,the LIAR PROVEN,is your best friend.

nah....just coincidence I guess....

EDIT:

Deleted

nvm, figured it out.

sorry for posting in "Vague Cyrillic" encoding...I think any person looks at the timeline of Braun's denials to today's admission and sees one repeating beacon of support in the media and that is Aaron Rodgers interviews. Now I've SEEN a few of his clips and he's incensed about his "best friend" being accused of using steroids...well...I seem to remember me and my best friend back when we were 18 and his Dad accused him of drinking beers on Friday nights. I backed him up face to face with his Dad and SWORE it wasn't true. Of course, the two of us had been sneaking into his Dad's stash of Buds out in the garage for a few years.

I have marveled at Rodgers resilience the past few seasons, seasons during which the Packers devoted tons of cap toward receivers and running backs to the exclusion of Rodgers protection up front . I've watched a fair share of GB games and highlights too and like I said, always marveled at how Rodgers can take such brutal hits...and come back firing and running like brand new. Always thought it was because of superior athletic ability. After today, I can't say I feel anything close to that.

sorry for posting in "Vague Cyrillic" encoding...I think any person looks at the timeline of Braun's denials to today's admission and sees one repeating beacon of support in the media and that is Aaron Rodgers interviews. Now I've SEEN a few of his clips and he's incensed about his "best friend" being accused of using steroids...well...I seem to remember me and my best friend back when we were 18 and his Dad accused him of drinking beers on Friday nights. I backed him up face to face with his Dad and SWORE it wasn't true. Of course, the two of us had been sneaking into his Dad's stash of Buds out in the garage for a few years.

I have marveled at Rodgers resilience the past few seasons, seasons during which the Packers devoted tons of cap toward receivers and running backs to the exclusion of Rodgers protection up front . I've watched a fair share of GB games and highlights too and like I said, always marveled at how Rodgers can take such brutal hits...and come back firing and running like brand new. Always thought it was because of superior athletic ability. After today, I can't say I feel anything close to that.

Gotcha. WRT Rodgers, don't know, but some guys can take the hits for whatever reason. Look at Mark Sanchez for example. The guy is a total **** and afraid of his own shadow, but he takes vicious hits week in and week out and keeps getting up from them.

FWIW, Aaron Rodgers looked like crap his first 2 years. Wasn't until his 3rd preseason that he looked like he might be a starting caliber QB.

Aaron Rodgers was a 1st round pick, and everyone was surprised that he fell to the early 20's.

Even then, no one knew how good he was or could be in the NFL until he actually saw live game reps in the TNF game vs Dallas on NFL network.

At any rate, I don't see much comparison to Mallett aside from the fact that he "could" end up a good QB. I was thrilled when we took him and I still think he can end up being good, but he hasn't proven anything yet---especially warranting a 2nd round pick in trade compensation along with a big starting contract.

Aaron Rodgers was a 1st round pick, and everyone was surprised that he fell to the early 20's.

Even then, no one knew how good he was or could be in the NFL until he actually saw live game reps in the TNF game vs Dallas on NFL network.

At any rate, I don't see much comparison to Mallett aside from the fact that he "could" end up a good QB. I was thrilled when we took him and I still think he can end up being good, but he hasn't proven anything yet---especially warranting a 2nd round pick in trade compensation along with a big starting contract.

Here's an article about it from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Bob McGinn - Rodgers made a career audible with Packers

Rules prevent me from posting it in it's entirety, but here's some excerpts.

Rodgers made a career audible with Packers

If someone had asked after his first season whether Rodgers had a better chance to be a star or a bust, I might have answered bust. Many personnel people probably would have, too.

As a rookie, Rodgers' six substantial outings included a scrimmage against Buffalo, four exhibition games and the fourth quarter of a December night game in Baltimore.

He was brutal every time out.

(In his second season).

There was considerable optimism after Rodgers turned in his best performance up to then in the exhibition opener against San Diego. But he was very average in the second game, not very good in the third and awful in the fourth.

In his only meaningful regular-season appearance, Rodgers played the entire second half against New England. Once again, he played poorly, holding the ball for three sacks and missing several open receivers.

There's a ton of great quotes in there reinforcing the fact that Rogers was terrible in his first 2 years in the NFL. It's a very interesting read.

Like many other QBs, it took time for him to develop. It might be a question of getting older/more mature. Or the experience gained over his first 2 years. Or maybe Mike McCarthy coming in had a lot to do with it.

Here's an article about it from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Bob McGinn - Rodgers made a career audible with Packers

Rules prevent me from posting it in it's entirety, but here's some excerpts.

There's a ton of great quotes in there reinforcing the fact that Rogers was terrible in his first 2 years in the NFL. It's a very interesting read.

Like many other QBs, it took time for him to develop. It might be a question of getting older/more mature. Or the experience gained over his first 2 years. Or maybe Mike McCarthy coming in had a lot to do with it.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Demo. I remember Rodgers' breakout game against Dallas very well. Until then he was much of an unproven player--but he was still a 1st round draft pick waiting in the wings.

The bottom line and main point of mine is that I definitely agree that Mallett may continue to grow and progress. Hell, I definitely hope he does and stays here for a 2nd deal; but in the meantime I do not agree on any level that any GM in their right mind is going to give up a 2nd round pick and a nice starting caliber QB contract for him--especially considering that if they'd wait one more year they'd get him for free on the open free agency market.

Mallett has all the potential in the world, much like Rodgers did. Both took a couple of yrs to develop...BUT, Rodgers received an opportunity to shine in real NFL action, and Mallett has yet to get that chance. Until he does (or at least tears up the preseason), there are many better ways to spend a 2nd round draft pick.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Demo. I remember Rodgers' breakout game against Dallas very well. Until then he was much of an unproven player--but he was still a 1st round draft pick waiting in the wings.

The bottom line and main point of mine is that I definitely agree that Mallett may continue to grow and progress. Hell, I definitely hope he does and stays here for a 2nd deal; but in the meantime I do not agree on any level that any GM in their right mind is going to give up a 2nd round pick and a nice starting caliber QB contract for him--especially considering that if they'd wait one more year they'd get him for free on the open free agency market.

Mallett has all the potential in the world, much like Rodgers did. Both took a couple of yrs to develop...BUT, Rodgers received an opportunity to shine in real NFL action, and Mallett has yet to get that chance. Until he does (or at least tears up the preseason), there are many better ways to spend a 2nd round draft pick.

Rodgers shined enough in his 3rd preseason to give the Packers reason to believe in him. As for draft position, that's kind of immaterial to me as we all know about Jamarcus Russell and we also happen to know about a decent enough 6th round draft pick who turned out pretty well :)

It's kind of up to Mallet at this point. If he's developed more and does very well in the preseason, I could easily see other teams trading a high draft pick for him. We'll just have to wait and see.

In 1995 Brady Anderson hit 16 home runs

In 1996 he hit FIFTY...

Rodgers record...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00.htm#passing::none

3 years of...well...nothing

then 16, 16, 15 ,15, 16 games played...remarkable

now I realize Lord Farver was still there but let's be realistic for a second...THREE years and Rodgers showed little to displace the ol' gunslinger? Then suddenly...SUPERSTAR!...yeah...and best friends with Ryan Braun. C'mon man...

It's kind of up to Mallet at this point. If he's developed more and does very well in the preseason, I could easily see other teams trading a high draft pick for him. We'll just have to wait and see.

It comes down to one question: can you honestly say that Ryan Mallett has shown enough ability to properly read and dissect NFL defenses, change the plays/audibles at the LOS based on what he sees, break down film properly, find and hit the open target, and make the correct decisions and judgements based on the super-fast NFL speed to warrant another team choosing to give up a 2nd round draft pick along with a nice starting QB contract that goes with it? Hell, no.

That's what we're discussing here. Nothing else. No one is disputing the fact that Ryan Mallett or any other NFL backup may end up rising to the occasion at some point, either this preseason or in the future. You could use examples of Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or any other successful QB who took some time to develop, but no one was claiming at that point in time that any of them were worth a 2nd round pick and a high paying NFL starting salary pact--especially not one year away from becoming a free agent.

It comes down to one question: can you honestly say that Ryan Mallett has shown enough ability to properly read and dissect NFL defenses, change the plays/audibles at the LOS based on what he sees, break down film properly, find and hit the open target, and make the correct decisions and judgements based on the super-fast NFL speed to warrant another team choosing to give up a 2nd round draft pick along with a nice starting QB contract that goes with it? Hell, no.

Nope, can't say that I have. Then again, I haven't seen him on the field behind center since last year, and even then, it was just a few highlights.

That's what we're discussing here. Nothing else. No one is disputing the fact that Ryan Mallett or any other NFL backup may end up rising to the occasion at some point, either this preseason or in the future. You could use examples of Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or any other successful QB who took some time to develop, but no one was claiming at that point in time that any of them were worth a 2nd round pick and a high paying NFL starting salary pact--especially not one year away from becoming a free agent.

Supa, all I'm doing is pointing out that there is a middle ground. Manx laid out the possibility of getting a high draft pick, you seemed to completely shoot it down, so I offered Rodger's history to show that it was possible, as Aaron Rodgers did show vast improvement between his 2nd and 3rd preseasons.

IF Mallet does show that he's improved quite a bit, and say Jacksonville finally realizes that Gabbert and Henne both suck, they might just give up a 2nd for him. Or Carson Palmer might trip on his shoe laces and Arizona will be looking for someone.

There are quite a few teams out there with really bad QB situations right now, and the number could grow if any major injuries occur.

IMO, Mallet has to show a lot during preseason if the Patriots want a 2nd round pick. He has shown 3rd round ability...maybe...but, he has just not been good enough in his previous outings to warren that kind of compensation.

Now, the Patriots obviously think he is good enough and I agree that he potentially could come out and show that kind of ability. He has a cannon for an arm and a fairly quick release. He just needs to prove that he can make quick decisions and be accurate with the ball.

The question is whether the Patriots will give him the opportunity to really prove it in preseason. I suspect that the Patriots may give Brady extra time under center this summer to help with the development of chemistry between the receivers.....that will hurt Mallet's chances.

Supa, all I'm doing is pointing out that there is a middle ground. Manx laid out the possibility of getting a high draft pick, you seemed to completely shoot it down, so I offered Rodger's history to show that it was possible, as Aaron Rodgers did show vast improvement between his 2nd and 3rd preseasons.

IF Mallet does show that he's improved quite a bit, and say Jacksonville finally realizes that Gabbert and Henne both suck, they might just give up a 2nd for him. Or Carson Palmer might trip on his shoe laces and Arizona will be looking for someone.

There are quite a few teams out there with really bad QB situations right now, and the number could grow if any major injuries occur.

It could happen, and for it to happen Mallett needs to have his "Matt Flynn Moment." He needs one game where he comes and really lights it up. It's happened over and over that a backup quarterback becomes the next It Guy, but usually doesn't happen unless there's at least one appearance where he torches someone. Right now, Mallett is a black box.

Fair enough, sorry if I came across argumentative. There are certain things that some of us will feel more strongly towards, and Mallett bringing us a 2nd rounder is one of those things--at least as it stands currently. As you said, that could change should he see action and end up with success in that spotlight.

You have some very fair points that it could happen in the future, and I agree with you. I was just talking about the current.

I'd go...

1. Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins
2. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins
3. Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles
4. Matt Cassel, Minnesota Vikings
5. Matt Hasselbeck, Indianapolis Colts
6. Kyle Orton, Dallas Cowboys
7. Kevin Kolb, Buffalo Bills (projecting EJ Manuel to start in Week 1)
8. Chad Henne, Jacksonville Jaguars (projecting Blaine Gabbert to start in Week 1)
9. Chase Daniel, Kansas City Chiefs
10. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tennessee Titans
11. Drew Stanton, Arizona Cardinals
12. Ryan Mallett, New England Patriots
13. Shaun Hill, Detroit Lions
14. Tim Tebow, New England Patriots

Fair enough, sorry if I came across argumentative. There are certain things that some of us will feel more strongly towards, and Mallett bringing us a 2nd rounder is one of those things--at least as it stands currently. As you said, that could change should he see action and end up with success in that spotlight.

You have some very fair points that it could happen in the future, and I agree with you. I was just talking about the current.

It's all good. The only thing you came across as was "determined" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes