PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL announces deal with Walsh; Goodell meeting set for May 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fully expecting little Mattie to lie his little butt off on May 13. I have no confidence in Goodell and the NFL. I do not believe he has a tape but believe he and his handlers have had more than enough time given to them to have a bunch of "stories" to tell.

I think those of you who think that Walsh can destroy the Pats without repercussions are sorely mistaken. It would be immensely popular in Massachusetts for Walsh to be prosecuted for a crime that he committed and any political minded DA would have no problem getting a grand jury to indict him even without the urging of the Pats. Nor do I think that Kraft is willing to let Goodell screw his team over anymore without proof that Bellichick was involved in the taping regardless of public opinion. Keep in mind also that Belichick has been in the league for 30 years and knows where all skeletons are buried so I don't think the league wants him spilling his guts.

I think those of you who think that Walsh can destroy the Pats without repercussions are sorely mistaken. It would be immensely popular in Massachusetts for Walsh to be prosecuted for a crime that he committed and any political minded DA would have no problem getting a grand jury to indict him even without the urging of the Pats. Nor do I think that Kraft is willing to let Goodell screw his team over anymore without proof that Bellichick was involved in the taping regardless of public opinion. Keep in mind also that Belichick has been in the league for 30 years and knows where all skeletons are buried so I don't think the league wants him spilling his guts.

I think you bring up a good point. I actually am not very worried. However, when I start reading all these posts I go kind of nuts:)

I think those of you who think that Walsh can destroy the Pats without repercussions are sorely mistaken. It would be immensely popular in Massachusetts for Walsh to be prosecuted for a crime that he committed and any political minded DA would have no problem getting a grand jury to indict him even without the urging of the Pats.

You're talking about the NFL, you're talking about the Super Bowl, you're talking about the world- literally. It would be suicide and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Kraft and Goodell locked arms and walked into the DA's office and told them to stand down if it were to get to the level you describe.

In the end, we can all love Bill all we want and we can all be upset and demand the team and the league remain loyal to him for his dutiful service of 30 years- but it won't matter- it will be about what it is always about, MONEY.

If it gets to a certain point, Kraft and Goodell will have to buddy up to save their empire. Bill is not bigger than this league- he is to us, but not to the institution known as the NFL.

The NFL cannot have it's revenue base continuing to believe that the league endorses cheating, and that's what matters more than anything. Goodell and even BK will do whatever is necessary to placate the public.

If Falsh has a tape, I see a public lynching by the end of the day. If he has no tape but contends Bill asked him to do it, then it will be a matter of how intense the public outrage is. If there's not a massive wave of demands for Bill to be fired then maybe he survives. However if it goes as I suspect and this is where Bill's his own worst enemy, Goodell will have to take Bill out to satisfy the enormity of the NFL fanbase.

I doubt there's very many cases where the state has brought charges against someone for taking a company handbook when they were dismissed without the company pressing charges. That's exactly the situation here and regardless of how much we want to believe this would be the first case, it won't.

:mad:[/I]If walsh had no confidienciality clause with the pats and the pats agreed along time ago not to sue for TALKIng ,then he must have a tape of something-with permission or without,Goodell as judge and jury will crucify the pats. Iwish I could see a good ending to this, but I think we all know this will end badly. i will always love the pats , but this hubris could have been prevented and that is the real shame of all this.

Boy, the off season chicken littles are coming out in full force for walkthough-gate...and they're as illogical as the trolls. The liklihood of Walsh having a tape has never been lesser than it is now. That is why it took so long to craft his indemnity. If he had a tape he wouldn't have needed any. He could have anonymously leaked a small portion of it to the media, or the NFL, at any time and there would have been little or nothing the team could have done about it. All he has left are his embellished stories and some additional signal tapes the commissioner already penalized us for. Plus he has to give back anything he stole. There won't be any book deal for Matt. A couple of more interviews with the ESPN tools who will never let it completely go, if he's lucky, and a sitdown with Arlen. This is the media's last chance attempt to re-spin this into a still compelling story, and they're taking it courtesy of marble mouth. It's like their consolation prize from the commissioner - one last 3 week period in which to ponder revisiting the Patriots punishment. Then post draft they will all go on hiatus until camps open.

In case you are unaware, its illegal taping of conversations not the company handbook involved and its a slam dunk case for which the public will be clammoring.
If Belichick is let go, please tell me what is there to prevent him from going public with all his knowledge and really putting the NFL in a fix.
I do not see the benefit to Kraft in letting Goodell do anything more to the team. The Pats have already taken their hit and if Kraft looks like he is rolling over and fires Belichick without cause, then he stands the distinct possibility of upsetting the New England fan base which is important to his development in addition to the team revenues. He is already partners with CBS so I don't see that as a problem

The liklihood of Walsh having a tape has never been lesser than it is now. That is why it took so long to craft his indemnity. If he had a tape he wouldn't have needed any. He could have anonymously leaked a small portion of it to the media, or the NFL, at any time and there would have been little or nothing the team could have done about it.

Leaking it would have taken away the potential for profit.

Think about how much buzz this thing has built over the past 8 months. Consider how intense the media frenzy will be on the 13th.

I hate to go here but think about the magnitude of the eartquake if Falsh does have a tape, multiply that by 1 trillion if he has some evidence that proves Bill or Pioli or BK knew about it.

He'll have just wrecked the biggest sport in America and the dynasty they said couldn't happen anymore. He won't have to write books, Hollywood likely already has scripts worked up for Spygate. He will become a cult figure on a scale we may have never even thought of.

Thank you for addressing DCS - Dumbest Case Scenario. We've all heard the "best" and "worst" case scenarios, but yours thankfully throws out all logic to date regarding what has transpired, the sequence of events, the wording and timing of the "agreement", the loyalty of Bob Kraft to New England and the Fans (ticket prices notwithstanding) and even the comments by the mediots who have nothing but negative to push against the Pats, yet still, you manage to figure out a way to assume the most unlikely and unpleasant situation might happen. Jesus, I pray you're a fan of another team trolling here because otherwise, I will have to assume you grew up on Woburn water

You're talking about the NFL, you're talking about the Super Bowl, you're talking about the world- literally. It would be suicide and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Kraft and Goodell locked arms and walked into the DA's office and told them to stand down if it were to get to the level you describe.

In the end, we can all love Bill all we want and we can all be upset and demand the team and the league remain loyal to him for his dutiful service of 30 years- but it won't matter- it will be about what it is always about, MONEY.

If it gets to a certain point, Kraft and Goodell will have to buddy up to save their empire. Bill is not bigger than this league- he is to us, but not to the institution known as the NFL.

The NFL cannot have it's revenue base continuing to believe that the league endorses cheating, and that's what matters more than anything. Goodell and even BK will do whatever is necessary to placate the public.

If Falsh has a tape, I see a public lynching by the end of the day. If he has no tape but contends Bill asked him to do it, then it will be a matter of how intense the public outrage is. If there's not a massive wave of demands for Bill to be fired then maybe he survives. However if it goes as I suspect and this is where Bill's his own worst enemy, Goodell will have to take Bill out to satisfy the enormity of the NFL fanbase.

I doubt there's very many cases where the state has brought charges against someone for taking a company handbook when they were dismissed without the company pressing charges. That's exactly the situation here and regardless of how much we want to believe this would be the first case, it won't.

In case you are unaware, its illegal taping of conversations not the company handbook involved and its a slam dunk case for which the public will be clammoring.

Whatever- it's the same damn thing in principle.

What public? The public of the state of MA? In comparative terms you're talking a fragment of the population- the remainder of the country would be incensed at the state pursuing him. Can you imagine the outrage and derogatory attacks that would be launched against us if the state pursued charges against "the guy that proved the Patriots were cheating"? You do understand the significance of this right?

If Belichick is let go, please tell me what is there to prevent him from going public with all his knowledge and really putting the NFL in a fix.

How? Who is he going to get the NFL in a fix with? He'll be a Pariah- the league will blacklist him. Maybe he could write a book- he'll be treated the same as Conseco. Perhaps he could go begging Congress to hear him tell a story of steroids- but they will hate him too so good luck with that.

What "knowledge" is he going to be able to put out there and to who that will overcome the horrible perception people have of him? Sitting in prisons across the country there are street drug dealers that have knowlege of hideous things others have done- no one cares because they are viewed as a villian trying to get even with someone. Unless Bill's got some criminal level material, Bill would be a lepper.

I do not see the benefit to Kraft in letting Goodell do anything more to the team. The Pats have already taken their hit and if Kraft looks like he is rolling over and fires Belichick without cause, then he stands the distinct possibility of upsetting the New England fan base which is important to his development in addition to the team revenues. He is already partners with CBS so I don't see that as a problem

Again, this is so much bigger than us, this is about the whole of the league. If BK took some defiant approach and stood in the way of what will be an overwhelming demand for Bill's head- he'll get crushed too. It's a tidal wave that will destroy everything in its path. You're way underestimating the impact of the public. You cannot have 98% of something the size of the NFL's fan base thinking the commissioner or the premier owner in the league sanctions cheating. I'm sorry but Kraft will not have a choice in the matter. Goodell would have to tell BK that if he stands in the way of Bill being fired Goodell would demand that BK be removed as owner. It would be the biggest debacle in the history of American sports.

Last edited:
Thank you for addressing DCS - Dumbest Case Scenario. We've all heard the "best" and "worst" case scenarios, but yours thankfully throws out all logic to date regarding what has transpired, the sequence of events, the wording and timing of the "agreement", the loyalty of Bob Kraft to New England and the Fans (ticket prices notwithstanding) and even the comments by the mediots who have nothing but negative to push against the Pats, yet still, you manage to figure out a way to assume the most unlikely and unpleasant situation might happen. Jesus, I pray you're a fan of another team trolling here because otherwise, I will have to assume you grew up on Woburn water

Why is it so dumb? What's dumb is the fact that we're even having to discuss this non-issue, yet here we are and on May 13th there Roger and Falsh are.

The whole thing is one gigantic screw job- why do you think it's going to suddenly correct itself? Things like this always seem to have a way of ending in the worst conceivable way. The guy has been provided a license to lie, why do you think he won't?

Again if , and this is the biggest IF OF THEM ALL, if walsh has something , which I doubt, and Godell is forced to do something, dont expect Belichick to go quietly in the night ... NO WAY.... He will say I learned this from Parcells who learned if from Joe Gibbs, who learned it from Chuck noll, who learned it from Don Shula so on and so forth... Its a big can of worms that if opened will be more damaging than just say Belichick is suspended, fans I would hope revolt, boycotts will be done, it will get worse before people say oh lets go enjoy the season, no big deal...

Again I doubt if he has anything than a hand written note saying I hate Bill Belichick on it , so this will go away pretty fast on May 13th except to those great people at Espn:rolleyes:

But if something comes of this and Belichick and the Pats are punishied, I dont know how I will react, I may boycott the NFL for a yr or 2, or be done entirely, and I would ask us as fans to join together to do something ..

Then again we wont have to worrry, because it will be over may 13th

Last edited:
Again I doubt if he has anything than a hand written note saying I hate Bill Belichick on it , so this will go away pretty fast on May 13th except to those great people at Espn:rolleyes:

No way will he have such a note- he will have a tape of him saying it!:D

Why is it so dumb? What's dumb is the fact that we're even having to discuss this non-issue, yet here we are and on May 13th there Roger and Falsh are.

The whole thing is one gigantic screw job- why do you think it's going to suddenly correct itself? Things like this always seem to have a way of ending in the worst conceivable way. The guy has been provided a license to lie, why do you think he won't?

What is dumb is you think we are the first successful team to be lambasted by the rest of the public. What is dumb is you think the owner and the commissioner are somehow going to team up on the coach and "blackball" him from the rest of the league. What is dumb is you think 75% of the owners out there wouldn't kill for BB as a head coach (probably more, I'm being conservative). What is dumb is you forget what happened to SF at the end of the 80's/early 90's, the drug and character scandals of the early 90's cowboys, the hatred for the Steelers of the 70's, the steroid issues of the Lyle Alzado Raiders, etc. What is dumb is you think the highest character team that may have ever played together would suddenly collapse in the face of a challenge (and a bogus one at that, even, seemingly, by your own admission) All successful teams eventually stand in the crosshairs - the truly excellent ones fight through it and win more (like us last year, 1 win away from silencing every critic with perfection...don't be surprised to see it sought after even harder after all this horsesh*t in the offseason by our outstanding and driven players who exemplify the best in competition and sports). That is dumb. Thinking the most profitable team in the league right now is going to be brought down by a Golf Pro who needed indemnity to broadcast his excuses and back away from the harsh reality of his exaggeration and BS is dumb. Thinking the league will ride the tide of this silliness is dumber. Goodell, while he is a complete ninny and undeserving of his position in every possible way, has nothing to gain by taking away the 'big bad ogre' of the NFL - ratings have never been higher, everyone tunes in to see David try to topple Goliath, except this year, Goliath might be smart and wear a helmet. Good luck with your pessimism, I heard on ESPN the sky was falling, better get an umbrella before its too late.

What is dumb is you think we are the first successful team to be lambasted by the rest of the public. What is dumb is you think the owner and the commissioner are somehow going to team up on the coach and "blackball" him from the rest of the league. What is dumb is you think 75% of the owners out there wouldn't kill for BB as a head coach (probably more, I'm being conservative). What is dumb is you forget what happened to SF at the end of the 80's/early 90's, the drug and character scandals of the early 90's cowboys, the hatred for the Steelers of the 70's, the steroid issues of the Lyle Alzado Raiders, etc. What is dumb is you think the highest character team that may have ever played together would suddenly collapse in the face of a challenge (and a bogus one at that, even, seemingly, by your own admission) All successful teams eventually stand in the crosshairs - the truly excellent ones fight through it and win more (like us last year, 1 win away from silencing every critic with perfection...don't be surprised to see it sought after even harder after all this horsesh*t in the offseason by our outstanding and driven players who exemplify the best in competition and sports). That is dumb. Thinking the most profitable team in the league right now is going to be brought down by a Golf Pro who needed indemnity to broadcast his excuses and back away from the harsh reality of his exaggeration and BS is dumb. Thinking the league will ride the tide of this silliness is dumber. Goodell, while he is a complete ninny and undeserving of his position in every possible way, has nothing to gain by taking away the 'big bad ogre' of the NFL - ratings have never been higher, everyone tunes in to see David try to topple Goliath, except this year, Goliath might be smart and wear a helmet. Good luck with your pessimism, I heard on ESPN the sky was falling, better get an umbrella before its too late.

All the references to past scandals duly acknowledged, they pale in comparison to this-------IF------------ Walsh makes his accusation and provides material that supports it. You would have just lost the integrity of the league. Doesn't matter how great Bill is, that's irrelevant at that moment.

Do I think it's likely no I do not, I at times think it's beyond the realm of possibility to be truthful. The repurcussions are so far reaching that it's one of those things that I just don't see how it could happen.

However I'm not so naive as to believe that Walsh has pushed this to this point to just walk away with no real gain. He's had numerous opportunities to let this quietly die and he's chosen not to. Why? Why would this apparently high powered DC atty continue to forge forward with this if there wasn't something up their sleeve?

Answer this question- this has been in the works for months. If Walsh knew he was ultimately going to sit down with Goodell and tell him he had nothing, do you really think he would have taken it this far? He finally got the contract that allows him to lie with impunity- and you think that after months of working towards this he is just going to abandon the whole thing?

All the references to past scandals duly acknowledged, they pale in comparison to this-------IF------------ Walsh makes his accusation and provides material that supports it. You would have just lost the integrity of the league. Doesn't matter how great Bill is, that's irrelevant at that moment.

Do I think it's likely no I do not, I at times think it's beyond the realm of possibility to be truthful. The repurcussions are so far reaching that it's one of those things that I just don't see how it could happen.

However I'm not so naive as to believe that Walsh has pushed this to this point to just walk away with no real gain. He's had numerous opportunities to let this quietly die and he's chosen not to. Why? Why would this apparently high powered DC atty continue to forge forward with this if there wasn't something up their sleeve?

Answer this question- this has been in the works for months. If Walsh knew he was ultimately going to sit down with Goodell and tell him he had nothing, do you really think he would have taken it this far? He finally got the contract that allows him to lie with impunity- and you think that after months of working towards this he is just going to abandon the whole thing?

Please. If Walsh knew he had something, he wouldn't have needed indemnity, the league would gladly have supported him as would have Specter and the rest. You can't be sued for libel if what you print is true, you can't be sued for slander if what you say is true. If he had a tape, this would have been provable and he would have been absolutely bulletproof. He has nothing of substance of he wouldn't have needed the indemnity. His ability to lie (mind you, you might want to actually READ the agreement where he can't actually talk to anyone without league approval) is irrelevant because he can only lie in a private meeting to Goodell...if Goodell was in some ridiculous collusion to bring down the League's biggest draw, he wouldn't have allowed this to be private, he would have put it out in plain sight and there would have been no rules for how Walsh could handle it himself. What you say and what you suggest are flat out counter-intuitive on every level. You can chicken little all you want but it doesn't hold water no matter how you look at it, if you can look at it rationally. Even Peter King, one of the biggest bashers out there has acknowledged that this is pretty much nail #1 in the coffin of Walsh-gate (since they all IGNORED THE OBVIOUS EVIDENCE THAT NO TAPING ACTUALLY HAPPENED WHEN HIS "I TOOK THE MEDIA BUS BACK TO THE HOTEL" STORY PROVED TO BE UTTERLY FALSE, which should have been nails number 1-9). Yet here you are whimpering like a beaten dog about what even the (informed) haters agree is likely the beginning of the end of the story. Only the AP idiots (and ESPN whores who have no integrity as has been proven over and over) who only want a spectacle story are still pushing this as a "potential problem" for the pats.

First, check my posts- I am so far away from saying Goodell is involved in some conspiracy to bring us down that it's laughable that you would assert such a thing. If anything, I think he's been trying to do more to help us than hurt- he's just a certified moron.

Secondly- so Falsh lies to Goodell in their private meeting and says "Bill Belichick instructed me to tape the Rams walk through, I gave him the tape".

Goodell then holds a press conference-
"Mr. Falsh's claimed that Bill Belichick instructed him to tape the Rams walkthrough Mr. Falsh was unable to produce a tape to support this, therefore I consider this matter closed".

What's going to be the next question- it's going to be a direct question of where the tape went. When Goodell says that Falsh claimed he made the tape and turned it over to Bill, that's when the accusations will take off and the wildfire will burn uncontrollably.

Every sniveling little sore loser fan is going to cry foul. Several owners which are jerks will ask Goodell to re-open the investigation. It will grow into even more noise than we've seen to this point. Specter would likely then call for an inquiry. They'll call for Bill, Pioli, BK, Ernie, Estrella, etc... to appear before some corrupt committee where they'll all grandstand and demand that Bill tell them what he did with the tape. It will be a disaster and it all goes back to the fact that the guy can lie without consequence. We can proclaim he's a liar but the burden will be on us to prove it. If you can think of how we can prove this then let us all know I can't figure it out.

First, check my posts- I am so far away from saying Goodell is involved in some conspiracy to bring us down that it's laughable that you would assert such a thing. If anything, I think he's been trying to do more to help us than hurt- he's just a certified moron.

Secondly- so Falsh lies to Goodell in their private meeting and says "Bill Belichick instructed me to tape the Rams walk through, I gave him the tape".

"Mr. Falsh's claimed that Bill Belichick instructed him to tape the Rams walkthrough Mr. Falsh was unable to produce a tape to support this, therefore I consider this matter closed".

What's going to be the next question- it's going to be a direct question of where the tape went. When Goodell says that Falsh claimed he made the tape and turned it over to Bill, that's when the accusations will take off and the wildfire will burn uncontrollably.

Every sniveling little sore loser fan is going to cry foul. Several owners which are jerks will ask Goodell to re-open the investigation. It will grow into even more noise than we've seen to this point. Specter would likely then call for an inquiry. They'll call for Bill, Pioli, BK, Ernie, Estrella, etc... to appear before some corrupt committee where they'll all grandstand and demand that Bill tell them what he did with the tape. It will be a disaster and it all goes back to the fact that the guy can lie without consequence. We can proclaim he's a liar but the burden will be on us to prove it. If you can think of how we can prove this then let us all know I can't figure it out.

Sorry dude, but despite your name you sound a lot like the FootballFanetic. Hmmmm, 22 posts . . .

Keep in mind that Spector as a member of the Republican minority in the Senate has literally no power to do anything but shoot off his mouth. The power resides in Leahy and Kennedy both from New England. If it comes before the committee which I doubt, it isn't going to be just the Pats under the the microscope, but the commissioner and every team in the NFL. If they punish Belichick, what is to prevent him if called before the Committee from spilling his guts about every skeleton he knows from his 30 years in the league.

Go back and read the indemnity agreement. He has a license to unknowingly convey falsehoods, period. If they can prove he knows he's lying, all bets are off. This means Walsh likely has to temper down several of his storylines. One example is the original rumor that had him staying behind and going undetected while he filmed the walkthrough. 007 Walsh - undercover operative of the NEP...Only problem with that was at least one guy recalled exiting the stadium with him and riding back to the hotel on he bus with him (where he floated his what if we had scenario on him to boot...). One of the problems pathological liars have is they think they have a cloak of invincibility and the rest of us inexplicably never managed to developed an alternate recollection of events as they actually unfolded. Look no farther than the Roger Clemens testimony. He convinced himself that a guy like Pettite would disremember in lockstep, he figured any guests at the Canseco party were too hammered to remember who else was there, he assumed no one would ever look up the nanny, and he never noticed there was an 11 year old fan there with a camera and detailed memories of seeing his heros... He still doesn't believe it, but everyone else does.

The league talked to 50 other people already and none of them lent any credence to Walsh's claim that any team practice or walkthrough was ever taped at the request of BB or his staff. That is why they constructed a scope of employment clause in the indemnity agreement, and presumed what was construed to be within that scope. Taping another teams walkthrough was not, therefore if he does have a tape or persists in claiming he once did, he's gonna have to offer substantive proof of it's existence or that it was made at his employer's behest or with his employers knowledge. There would be lots of little details that could enter into a determination on the validity of a tape if he actually produces one - is it a dub, is it on the same brand of tape the teams uses, was it recorded with the same equipment that was available to him on site. People ignore the simple fact that it is entirely possible that footage of that walkthrough existed at the time because players and their family and celebrity guests in attendance likely had hand held cameras with them recording the events for posterity...And there were employees of the rival NO Saints with access to the facility that day, a group Mike Martz apparently lived in fear of taping his teams walkthroughs even when they met in the regular season. Walsh being a collecter may have located some footage of a losers walkthrough over time...

But at the end of the day it's likely all Matt has on that matter is a tall tale he began constructing on the day of the walkthrough and polished up after Pioli fired his ass. Otherwise why would he not have found some way to get his story out a long time ago. A ten second snipet of such a film would have been all Bill's legion of fans in the NE media would have ever needed to see to run with the story. Had he come forward in September as the former employee who didn't know what he had, that would be one thing. But remember, that is not the way this story unfolded. He was shopping his tale to the local media 3-4 years ago, yet not a word from him when Spygate broke, then he had to be tracked down by the guys our locals dropped a dime on at ESPN and the NYT. And even then, he was unwilling to go on record with anything more than veiled inuendo, most of which made no mention of a walkthrough tape but rather focused on other things he taped and hinted he might know...which were given some credence because after all, he had that confidentiality agreement to worry about and why would the team have made him sign one of those if they didn't fear what he information he could reveal...:rolleyes:

This is why you see so many fans kvetching about punishing him somehow. Unfortunately I think getting sent back to Hawaii with no supper will be the extent of his public penalty.

I also believe that Walsh will say he taped the Rams and is now trying to get his timeline for doing so down. He needs to answer how he arrived/left the stadium, what equipment he used, where did he tape from, who he spoke to, etc. This is where I have little confidence in Goodell. Hopefully I will be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents