PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing New Pats OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr

Honest question... Should I have heard of any of the guys on that list?

Garett Bolles has been the Donkeys' starting LT since they drafted him in 2017; Messy Bacon is who he is; Donovan Smith had been Tampa's starting LT until he signed with the Queefs this off-season...

The rest? Nah, not really.

For... what, exactly? Backup LG - that's Sow's job; backup RG - that's Mafia's job; backup Center - never played it; backup LT, RT or Swing Tackle - the dude is no longer an NFL Tackle on Either side of Center.

IR him BEFORE Cut-Down Day, Injury-Settle his ass the moment it becomes financially advantageous, and sign him for Much Less later in the season if necessary... He rates Zero solids from this organization otherwise.
Just cut him prior to getting to 53. His salary is guaranteed, so what would his grievance be about? Sign him to the practice squad where he can be paid the veteran PS salary in lieu of the playing time bonuses he’s missing because he’s injured.

No it isn't. Ever hear of Rhamondre Stevenson?

Seriously, noting a single data point? There have been hundreds of 4th round picks in just this century. Look at the stats. Look at the wash out rates. 1 in 4 don't even make it out of their initial training camp.

FA- on my car ride today this factoid came out of my radio and I found it interesting. I THINK it was WEEI. Walter Football rated the top OT tackles in FA. The top one was Orlando Brown Jr. He got a 4 yr $65MM deal, Next was Mclinchey who got a 5 year $84MM deal. Then they mentioned a guy who I forgot, but he got a similar deal just a bit lower, and #4 and #5 on this list (and this is what made it interesting were Elumanor and Wynn. :eek:
#4 and #5 are Elumanor and Wynn. I couldn’t read past that. Someone confiscate my shoe laces.

Reiff was supposed to be a starter/compete with Anderson. And then the Pats bolstered the competition with a draft pick (Sow). Reiff got injured. Anderson got sick. Neither was plannable. It's football. This stuff happens. The hope is that neither are out for the season.

Reiffer was old, broken-down junk LAST YEAR.

And Billy gave him A RAISE.

Bad signing then; worse signing now.

Last edited:
Reiffer was old, broken-down junk LAST YEAR.

Ans Billy gave him A RAISE.

Bad signing then; worse signing now.
WHY ARE WE YELLING INCORRECT THINGS?

The Bears paid Reiff $7.5M last season. It was $3M base and then the easiest possible NLTBE incentives (for cap purposes) for an additional $4.5M. He had another $5M incentives that he didn’t reach for a max possible value of $12.5M.

If your in Worcester try Rosealinas on Hamilton St.

Haven't been there, but a friend of mine until recently lived off Vernon Street near Gaskill Field, so I know exactly where that place is... Next time I visit to re-supply, I'll try to make time to go there...

I think Strong wasn't making it through cutdowns so they felt ok to trade him. And a 6th isn't a ton to give up. Then you have two good options to compete for the interim (and maybe longer) RT and some better options for backup and swing tackle.

As for playing time, just from reading up since the trade, it feels like Wheatley was a longer project to get where he is now, but he's ready now. Lowe was ready earlier, but I don't know that he's the better of the two. But you let them compete with Sow and play whoever is best. It really feels like some low-cost investments to try to fix a problem that sprang up from injuries and an illness.

There was a problem at OT even before injuries & illnesses.

Sow was a Left Guard in college. That's the left-side experience to which I was referring.

Yes I guessed that. Playing left guard at Eastern MI is relevant experience for playing left tackle in the NFL?

You said, "as more befitting his athleticism AND left-side experience". I agree about the athleticism, but you think playing left guard at Eastern MI is "befitting" experience to playing left tackle in the NFL? C'mon man!

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back