PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New names to add to the 2014 roster that might be flawed but of value

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cousins,
Unlike many of you who swear by the Draft board. How did that work out for you this year? Collins was O.K. the rest...Meh!

The Seahawks had exactly "0" 2013 Draft picks starting and the Broncos had 1.

It takes three years Cousins. The board is filled with "if we Draft this guy and that" our Staring line up is ready to go. I say Nyet.

It is only a 17% chance of a pick to work. And that is in a three year term upon average.

We were out-talented this year. I love the Draft as a long term solution but TB and his age are beat to death and facts are facts.

We need to look at some FA or pending Cuts to build us a little faster. We need talent. BB would rather slide underneath the first tier FA for value. O.K. I get it.

I have mentioned the fact that the Jags would love to remedy the 25 year old WR Justin Blackmon and his alcohol issues. BB is good at second chances. A new venue might help. The Jags would take a pick. Point is he is more talented than any WR on our roster.

I like the idea of a Andre Johnson Trade if feasible. He is less than Larry Fitzgerald I believe and we have some chips the Texans want in Mallet.

The guy I might check out who is recovering from an ACL is Sidney Rice. He is only 27 and prolific when healthy. He will be a CAP cut. Healthy is the key word. A one year prove it. Mackin is in the same boat but a healthy Rice is a field stretcher over....Slater?.

At TE I have mentioned Owen Daniel as a great move TE. He might be a CAP cut and unlike Rice, is on the mend from a broken leg but should be a go with nothing lingering. No Gronk in the beginning of 2014 or at all. Great signing if possible. He is 31. Now add your Draft pick TE.

How about FA Eagle WR Riley as..... a move TE in our offense? He is bigger than Hernadez!

I think we need pressure. Nink and Jones were gassed. How about Julius Peppers who will be a CAP cut? We kicked his tires a few years ago and look what we did to extend Andre Carter's and Mark Andersons' career a few years.

I really would love Jared Allen. I might sign him over anybody. Michael Johnson is younger but will cost much more I believe. He is still disruptive at 32.

We all want Mack. Cleveland will not let him go.The Packers C Dietrich-Smith was rated only slightly less and might be a lot cheaper.

One FA under the radar to me is NT/DT Terrance Cody. With what he learned form Ngata and what he can learn from Vince. He is only 25. He has underachieved but at Alabama could take over a game. He should be cheaper than say a Raji.

Safety either Rolle or Stevie Brown, The Giants can't keep both.

Thoughts?

DW Toys

Cousins,
Unlike many of you who swear by the Draft board. How did that work out for you this year? Collins was O.K. the rest...Meh!

It takes three years Cousins. The board is filled with "if we Draft this guy and that" our Staring line up is ready to go. I say Nyet.

It is only a 17% chance of a pick to work. And that is in a three year term upon average.

We were out-talented this year. I love the Draft as a long term solution but TB and his age are beat to death and facts are facts.

We need to look at some FA or pending Cuts to build us a little faster. We need talent. BB would rather slide underneath the first tier FA for value. O.K. I get it.

I have mentioned the fact that the Jags would love to remedy the 25 year old WR Justin Blackmon and his alcohol issues. BB is good at second chances. A new venue might help. The Jags would take a pick. Point is he is more talented than any WR on our roster.

I like the idea of a Andre Johnson Trade if feasible. He is less than Larry Fitzgerald I believe and we have some chips the Texans want in Mallet.

The guy I might check out who is recovering from an ACL is Sidney Rice. He is only 27 and prolific when healthy. He will be a CAP cut. Healthy is the key word. A one year prove it. Mackin is in the same boat but a healthy Rice is a field stretcher over....Slater?.

At TE I have mentioned Owen Daniel as a great move TE. He might be a CAP cut and unlike Rice, is on the mend from a broken leg but should be a go with nothing lingering. No Gronk in the beginning of 2014 or at all. Great signing if possible. He is 31. Now add your Draft pick TE.

How about FA Eagle WR Riley as..... a move TE in our offense? He is bigger than Hernadez!

I think we need pressure. Nink and Jones were gassed. How about Julius Peppers who will be a CAP cut? We kicked his tires a few years ago and look what we did to extend Andre Carter's and Mark Andersons' career a few years.

I really would love Jared Allen. I might sign him over anybody. Michael Johnson is younger but will cost much more I believe. He is still disruptive at 32.

We all want Mack. Cleveland will not let him go.The Packers C Dietrich-Smith was rated only slightly less and might be a lot cheaper.

One FA under the radar to me is NT/DT Terrance Cody. With what he learned form Ngata and what he can learn from Vince. He is only 25. He has underachieved but at Alabama could take over a game. He should be cheaper than say a Raji.

Thoughts?

DW Toys

Dennis Pitta and my favorite a semi move TE with size Jacob Tamme, who will be squeezed out of the Broncos. Then draft linemen and a big WR like Coleman from Rutgers to develop the next Hernandez, while adding size to the WRs.

I still reiterate that Dante has been following the script and acquiring 4th and 5th round tackles and developing them, but as you say it takes a few years, and a few years havle gone by. Some will make it as superior G or C, some will strike out. Zuscevic is one such, interrupted by IR, who will be pretty good if injuries haven't ruined him. Cannon is another. Meanwhile Connolly and Wendell are good swing types, if not better.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think you can't buy a starting ILB for a couple of million better than Spikes. BB has always been a Coach who takes players with incomplete games and gets the maximum from them and doesn't ask them to do what they can't. I for one would not be surprised to see BB resign him for limited dollars. there are few 2 down anirun LBs who are better at what they do.

Cousins,

I think it was a great rookie class, considering what we had for picks, but your point stands. The odds of a player coming in and having an immediate impact are small, and almost non-existent after the first few picks each year.

I can't find the post, but I was saying this last year. So I'm on board. He's still cost-controlled, too.

Would love it - don't think we can afford it.

Amazing to me that Rice is only 27 - seems like he's been in teh league for a decade. All for it.

Daniel, Chandler...yep, get a vet tight end.

Meh.

I wanted Abraham last year - we NEED another PR DE. A good one. Avril ate Denver's right tackle for lunch last night.

Okay. I'm not a Wendell fan.

Thoughts?

DW Toys

What about Sims from Oakland?

You watch that game and conclude we need to spend our resources on wide receivers? Might help your fantasy team and pad Brady's stats. But, that type of move will not help us beat Seattle or SF.

On the Blackmon thing while I agree could get and could be value but remember no one knows when he can apply for reinstatement and it could be after the start of the 2014 season and might not get it right away. Do you really want a WR would will most likely miss OTA and training camp?

Toys These are by far best ideas yet around here. Tom Brady isn't getting any younger and we must get better FAST. No time developing young wideouts The oline needs get meaner and stronger and passrush has to strike some fear. Harmon may be answer at ss with more reps and a yr in the weightroom. I would like to see him play at 210 or so. I like idea of bringing in JustinBlackmon and Tony Gonzalez. Imagine tony around to coach Blackmon Dobson and Gronk the trademagic. Also i been saying we need to cut the fat like soapaga,Gregory,wilson,wendall and restructure whoever we can wilfork may retire. Whoever isnt a difference maker needs to go,so we free up capspace to be active cuz we need several big improvements. Also i like collins and mayo but slow Hightower must go. All these mobile qbs entering,every lb on team has to be able to chase them dowm and strike them down

TOY I THINK YOU HAVE BEST IDEAS YET.THANX FOR BEING HONEST AND REALIZING WE MUST ACCELERATE PLANS TO GET BETTER WHILE WE HAVE BRADY.

Olé Kevin williams MAY have something in the tank. His dl coach is here ibelieve. Scott chandler te would be a good catch. No pun intended.

You watch that game and conclude we need to spend our resources on wide receivers? Might help your fantasy team and pad Brady's stats. But, that type of move will not help us beat Seattle or SF.

Big physical receivers like Blackmon and Gronk are how you can matchup with a physical D like Seattle. Denver might have gotten killed but it wasn't because of Demaryius Thomas, who was the only guy on that offense to show up, fumble aside.

I DONT LIKE SIDNEY RICE IDEA. He hasnt done nothing in 4 yrs. He's done,seems injuries have robbed him. Its a good idea, but we cant waste time on maybe"s. We need somebody who can do the job for sure of being the #1. I knew ocho was done. We dont need another WR with declined skills.Brady isn't getting any younger and we can't waste another of his yrs. I like Blackmon under Gonzalez"s wing here. GONZALEZ wont even sign unless we make the upgrades to win a SUPERBOWL

I DONT LIKE SIDNEY RICE IDEA. He hasnt done nothing in 4 yrs. He's done,seems injuries have robbed him. Its a good idea, but we cant waste time on maybe"s. We need somebody who can do the job for sure of being the #1. I knew ocho was done. We dont need another WR with declined skills.Brady isn't getting any younger and we can't waste another of his yrs. I like Blackmon under Gonzalez"s wing here. GONZALEZ wont even sign unless we make the upgrades to win a SUPERBOWL

Rice had 50 catches, 748 yards, and 7 touchdowns in 2012 and he targeted just 80 times. Playing with a rookie QB on a run first team that is damn good in my opinion. If he we could have him for short money I would absolutely bring him in.

If Julius Peppers actually gets cut I think he is a near certainty to sign here, Belichick loves him as a player and he is the ideal mentor for Chandler Jones. Plus he could easily play well for 2-3 more seasons he is a freak.

If Julius Peppers actually gets cut I think he is a near certainty to sign here, Belichick loves him as a player and he is the ideal mentor for Chandler Jones. Plus he could easily play well for 2-3 more seasons he is a freak.

Not if he wants much more than $2M/yr.

Cousins,

I agree nothing is as overvalued as Draft Picks, most won't even crack the 53 man roster unless it is for emergency depth or special teams. Outside of the first round it is not likely to see serious production from a rookie.

I also like the bargain hunting aspect, even if restructures are done I think the Patriots will have about $10 M to spend which really doesn't go that far.

My research is just getting going and not as complete as yours, give me a few weeks and I will add some names to your list.

I'll forego mentioned draft prospects then and just weight in on your FA suggestions...

I would take him, but be extremely leery in doing it. I live in Jacksonville Beach (ranked recently as the 6th best little brother to it's metro big brother, second only to Miami Beach for Florida cities... just thought I should throw that out there :)) and have seen Blackmon out at the bars. When he first moved here, I saw him pound shots then stumble to his car, peel out, and drive off. Found out later that he got pulled over. I've seen him piss drunk other times and sometimes, I've seen him out drinking water. If he gets his head on straight and if he can get the playbook down (not a given, either), he would be borderline unstoppable with Brady throwing him the ball. Still leery, though, because he's one slip up away from a very long term suspension.

Johnson only has a couple of more years left and is clearly aging. It depends on what the Texans would want in return. Mallett only? Sure. Mallett and a draft pick? Which draft pick are we talking here?

The guy I might check out who is recovering from an ACL is Sidney Rice. He is only 27 and prolific when healthy. He will be a CAP cut. Healthy is the key word. A one year prove it

When healthy, maybe. But Rice is never healthy and his last prolific season was in 2009. We already have enough porcelain guys on both sides of the ball. No thanks on Rice.

Mackin is in the same boat but a healthy Rice is a field stretcher over....Slater?

I'm interested in Maclin. But I don't think he's a WR1. Still, if Dobson develops as most of us expect him to in year two, Maclin would be a very viable option.

Like Daniels, but the injury history is there. I'd have looks at Pitta and Chandler. Troy Niklas and ASJ in the draft might be ways to go. Sorry, I just mentioned draft prospects when I promised I wouldn't.

No.

Would take all three of them but I need to see what we do with Edelman, Talib, and Wilfork first. You may be able to add Gregory to that list and, hopefully, Arrington (who should have never been given the contract he was offered).

At this point, I'm beginning to think hanging strings from the top of Gillette attached to the arms and legs of a corpse and lining said corpse up at center would be more effective than Wendell. Sign me up for Evan.

In the thread where I advocated cutting Wilfork outright, I've mentioned Cody along with Joseph as viable options at DT if the Pats wanted to go the FA route there.

Thoughts?

DW Toys

Prefer Ward or Whitner to those two. Rolle is essentially the same player as McCourty. We need a more physical safety to compliment McCourty, not a carbon copy of him.

Excellent off season thread DW.
I've converted to the camp that says we need lots of changes to beat the best 3-4 teams in the league.

I like Peyton Hillis but I have no idea how is his contract situation or market price.

I keep thinking back to the 07 season, and how quickly we went from a 12-4 contender with a seriously flaw in the receiving corp, to an undefeated juggernaut. And honestly, when I look at the moves and how they appeared PRIOR to the season, there wasn't much there:

Adalius was the biggest FA splash. For all the problems with him down the road, he played pretty well in 07, and was the most costly acquisition.

Moss was the biggest name/most polarizing move. Obviously Moss at his peak (or what was believed to be his peak) would have been a huge deal, but when we got him he was coming off a very subpar year (or two) and cost us only a 4th round pick.

Welker was thought to be a solid addition but wasn't known well at the time. Anyone who said before the season he was going to have 5+ 100 catch seasons would have been locked up in a padded room.

Stallworth was a decent name, but again, came with flaws and was signed to a deal that all but guaranteed he would be cut after year one (his salary went from $2m to $11m million or something ridiculous like that).

Now granted, all of these moves worked out, which is not the norm. But it goes to show that if you have the desire to load up, it doesn't even have to be with several high dollar deals. This year, if we make one big splash in FA (say for a stud DT or DE), add solid vets at TE, S, DL, and maybe WR, and get one good draft pick that plays well right away, we're good. It can be done, and it can be turned around quickly as we've seen.

Cousins,

Thoughts?

DW Toys
Great plan, all that is missing is the $50,000,000 of cap room needed to pull it off.

Cousins,

Thoughts?

DW Toys

A lot of flaws here. Seahawks and Broncos with few starters from last year's draft? Who cares. Patriots only started players due to injuries and desperation. Normally rookies aren't starters, unless they are first round picks. Did you happen to notice how those teams were built... well, what do the following players have in common: Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Knowshown Moreno, Ryan Clady, Von Miller, Chris Harris, Julius Thomas, Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Golden Tate, Bobby Wagner? That is just the beginning of the list. Teams win because they draft well, and beyond that, they are good at locking up drafted players long-term at the appropriate time rather than the free agency route, which is always an abject failure, unless it's for a franchise QB like Brees or Manning.

17% chance for a pick to work? That figure must include late round picks as well. Please stop acting like the draft is a futile exercise, considering that every good team is built primarily from solid drafting and development.

Imagine if the Patriots had gone out last year with this offseason strategy of signing/trading for one or two star players and damning the rest of the roster to a bunch of practice squad-caliber guys? Wouldn't have been 12-4 and might have lost the division.

The Broncos and Seahawks didn't have rookies starting this year because they had them starting in past years, giving them the experience that they would need to be even better this year.

Here's a better question for you: between the Broncos and the Seahawks, how many of their starters were drafted by their teams and are still on their rookie contracts? How much of the Seahawks' success is predicated on the fact that Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner and Kam Chancellor played like All Pros on rookie deals? That's how you win on talent: you have guys playing like $10M+ players on <$2M salaries. In fact, the entire reason why they had money to go and fill their remaining holes in FA was because they had so many guys playing for peanuts on their rookie deals.

That's where the Pats are. They need the young guys to step up next year and fill the holes that are evident on the team. Not just the rookies, but also the second-fourth year guys.

If you're seriously going to claim that the Seahawks especially, but also the Broncos, weren't built primarily through the draft, then there's really no conversation to be had here. The Seahawks are probably the prototypical example of a team that was 100%, without a doubt, built through the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST