PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New names to add to the 2014 roster that might be flawed but of value

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of flaws here. Seahawks and Broncos with few starters from last year's draft? Who cares. Patriots only started players due to injuries and desperation. Normally rookies aren't starters, unless they are first round picks. Did you happen to notice how those teams were built... well, what do the following players have in common: Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Knowshown Moreno, Ryan Clady, Von Miller, Chris Harris, Julius Thomas, Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Golden Tate, Bobby Wagner? That is just the beginning of the list. Teams win because they draft well, and beyond that, they are good at locking up drafted players long-term at the appropriate time rather than the free agency route, which is always an abject failure, unless it's for a franchise QB like Brees or Manning.

17% chance for a pick to work? That figure must include late round picks as well. Please stop acting like the draft is a futile exercise, considering that every good team is built primarily from solid drafting and development.

Imagine if the Patriots had gone out last year with this offseason strategy of signing/trading for one or two star players and damning the rest of the roster to a bunch of practice squad-caliber guys? Wouldn't have been 12-4 and might have lost the division.

Cousin, I know you need a Draft. I love the Draft. You could never afford the salaries if a Team was all FAs. It was not the question for the Thread. I say we need a mix. Some of the players mentioned would work, the others not so much. BB is much better at Trades and FA than his lasting Draft record. Our best star players, many came from that side of the business like Moss, Welker, Vrabel even Talib. He picks up some decent players. Even a guy like Waters or a Corey Dillon.

As and example if we can get a guy like an Owen Daniels at TE, I say we need and an Amaro too. Check the top three picks form each Team (you don't really have to) over the last ten years and you will be shocked at how many made the next step. For every McCourty there is a Tavon Wilson or Darius Butler etc. For every Gronk, there is a Chung or Brandon Tate. And yes there have been the occasional Ocho Cinco's.

My point to you is as example let's say half of our 2014 Draft picks start for us in 2014. That would be a great class to make a already good Team. Would you still feel we have upgraded enough to surpass the Broncos, SF or the Seahawks with those four kids?

Or would you say pick four (any four) of the above I have mentioned and roll the dice with them to improve the Team? You choose.
Thoughts?

I still like the Draft as a long term roster builder. But the Thread was not about that issue.

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference