PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE offense is too complex for receiver X (e.g., Mike Wallace) myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. Just because Chad Ocho-crappo Johnson ended up being a COLLOSAL failure - now the fanbase is afraid of a GREAT talent like Wallace.

Please....football God's.....rid the Patriots of that waste of time, Chad. Please. Pretty please....putting a cherry on top....

It has nothing to do with Ochocinco. It has everything to do with the Steelers' offense and questions on whether Wallace can adapt to a complicated offense after spending his career in a simple one. He may have great football intelligence and it won't be a problem, but it is an issue you gotta get a good answer before you pay him big bucks and give up a first.

Also, Wallace is overrated. He is a very good player, but he isn't this stud. Personally, I don't think he is worth a eight digit a year salary and a first rounder (which is probably what the Pats have to give up to get him).

Last edited:
Ocho-crappo...did you stay up all night thinking of that one? No one is affraid of getting Wallace on the O. They're affraid of giving up a 1st round pick AND bookoo bucks.

Ocho, in a non-existant offseason, was not able to build a rapport with Brady. It got to the point where Ocho was so far down the list of reads that Brady looked for him right after he looked for Giants LBs. Ocho was often wide f-ing open, but Brady wasn't interested in looking his way. Frankly, I wouldn't have been either when Gronker, Hernandez, and Welker are setting the world on fire and the Branch-Brady telepathy are in place. All of those options would be more appealing to anyone.

There's no reason, after taking a paycut, he shouldn't be able to come in and compete for a spot on the roster with everyone else they bring in. If he still can't get it together, cut him. Happy trails, whatever. I really don't understand the hate for Chad.

It has nothing to do with Ochocinco. It has everything to do with the Steelers' offense and questions on whether Wallace can adapt to a complicated offense after spending his career in a simple one. He may have great football intelligence and it won't be a problem, but it is an issue.

Also, Wallace is overrated. He is a very good player, but he isn't this stud.

Wallace is over-rated? Why? Because he's fast, can catch a ball and is young? 'Gimme a break. Wallace could be the wide-out play-maker this offense has been missing for a while. It sure isn't Chad. Branch can't spread the field. Welker is God - but he's a slot guy and they rely too heavily on the TE's. Signing Wallace would be GREAT.

Wallace, if he signs somewhere other than Pittsburgh, is likely to be an "under-market" deal, in terms of cash anyway. It'll be a market deal once you figure in the pick, but money-wise, he'll likely sign for less than, say, Vincent Jackson, because he doesn't have Jackson's leverage.

Of course, watch him go out and sign for more than Jackson now... I do think he'd get offered less than a regular FA anyway. Whether or not he takes it is up to him.

Wallace is over-rated? Why? Because he's fast, can catch a ball and is young? 'Gimme a break. Wallace could be the wide-out play-maker this offense has been missing for a while. It sure isn't Chad. Branch can't spread the field. Welker is God - but he's a slot guy and they rely too heavily on the TE's. Signing Wallace would be GREAT.

Wallace is overrated because he is a very good not elite WR. He is a perfect fit for the Steelers' offense where Roethlisberger runs around until he gets open and he runs simple routes without much presnap reads.

He could be a difference maker or he could be a complete idiot who is all physical skills and no brains and is consistently 10 yards away from where Brady throws the ball because he cannot read defenses.

Signing Wallace is a risk. The Pats are giving up a lot to get a player who may not be a good fit in the Pats' offense. He is no slam dunk. Again, he could be very intelligent and fit in well, but we don't know that based on watching him in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
I admit I could be wrong about the Steelers' offense though. Zo just said on 98.5 that the Steelers run a complicated offense with a lot of presnap reads. He knows more about that stuff than me. I always thought the Steelers run a less complicated offense. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft