PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NCAA National Championship Semis Gameday Thread

Oregon vs FSU - those two fumbles by Cook sunk them. I thought they were starting to take over. Mariota is a nice QB, but it's tough to judge what he would do in the pro's because their talent level is superior to others and they play a spread offense. Winston looks like he has potential, he's strong and big, but a bit dumb. He's a young guy and would be better served with another year of being a starting QB in college.

OSU vs Alabama - Still don't understand why they threw the ball on 1st and 10 with under 2 min to go. Alabama's QB was terrible and the main reason OSU won.

A bit dumb? Winston is as dumb as a rock.

And I'm calling it now, OSU is beating Oregon. Oregon is to gimmicky. OSU D will punch them in the mouth.
It can look that way because of the spread but it's not true at all. The OL is a good size, the TE is Gronk sized, the WR are big, Royce Freeman is a 230 pound freshman RB and the front 7 has some players Belichick would drool over (Buckner and Armstead both around 6'7" 290 and Tony Washington a 6'3" 250 pound LB).

The Ducks may lose but it's not because they're soft or finesse. The FSU D was going to punch them in the mouth too. Problem is you have to catch them first - then you realize they aren't soft. Royce Freeman isn't LaMichael James.

I'm seeing an analogy between Belichick and Saban. Both, love that strong, tough, thick defensive player who is great at the point of attack. But, a talented team with a good scheme can spread those types of players out and expose them in space. Belichick has moved on from that type of player. I'll cite; Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins and Dominique Easley as proof. Saban better do the same. His secondary is terrible and got lit up by a 3rd string qb.

I'm seeing an analogy between Belichick and Saban. Both, love that strong, tough, thick defensive player who is great at the point of attack. But, a talented team with a good scheme can spread those types of players out and expose them in space. Belichick has moved on from that type of player. I'll cite; Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins and Dominique Easley as proof. Saban better do the same. His secondary is terrible and got lit up by a 3rd string qb.

That third string QB is more talented than most first string QB's in the nation, though. But yeah, I agree, this was one of Alabama's weakest defenses under him.

One of the Bama problems on defense this year was the Patriots' old problem of the DB being in position for the deep ball but having no idea where the ball was. It happened in game 1 against WVU and continued through the Iron Bowl and, again, last night. Their CB are horsesh!t.

Saban had at least one of those players last year in CJ Mosley. The Alabama D is just going through some turnover of players. Both teams OL completely dictated all action. OSU played a better game passing the ball despite Cardale Jones dreadful start (he was 0-5 at one point). I expect/hope they will beat Oregon.

Turnover?? Bama has had the number one recruiting class 6 yearsbin a row!! They select. Don't even have to recruit. He's targetting the wrong athletes. I didn't see any long de's who can get upfield. Didn't see any 225-230 pound lb's who can run either. The rules are making it flag football. You need faster players

Turnover?? Bama has had the number one recruiting class 6 yearsbin a row!! They select. Don't even have to recruit. He's targetting the wrong athletes. I didn't see any long de's who can get upfield. Didn't see any 225-230 pound lb's who can run either. The rules are making it flag football. You need faster players

Alabama runs the 3-4. You won't see many long DE's that can get upfield because they play OLB. Their team speed is fine. Their talent is what is lacking. You can't go man to man with CB's that are afraid to get their heads around in coverage.

As an Oregon fan my main concern with Ohio State is that Meyer has been running forms of spread, read option type offenses for a long time. Although the OSU defense looks vulnerable, Meyer will understand the concepts very well - however I'm not sure anyone, even Tebow, has run it as well as Mariota does.

I also think OSU's fans will travel better. Hopefully "Uncle Phil" will buy 20,000 tickets ;)

The OSU QB situation is weird, while he's been solid it's tough to plan for him with so little game film. The available game film has doubled from 1 to 2, it's a weird situation. I know two things : He's a tank running forward and he can get the ball downfield. Have to have a big guy spy him and play the ball in the air better than Bama did all season. I would expect a Belichick style mush rush, drop 8, play deeper than the deepest (GTFB) and make him go first down by first down, limit the big plays.

Alabama runs the 3-4. You won't see many long DE's that can get upfield because they play OLB. Their team speed is fine. Their talent is what is lacking. You can't go man to man with CB's that are afraid to get their heads around in coverage.

Hope he stays this way.

As an Oregon fan my main concern with Ohio State is that Meyer has been running forms of spread, read option type offenses for a long time. Although the OSU defense looks vulnerable, Meyer will understand the concepts very well - however I'm not sure anyone, even Tebow, has run it as well as Mariota does.

I also think OSU's fans will travel better. Hopefully "Uncle Phil" will buy 20,000 tickets ;)

The OSU QB situation is weird, while he's been solid it's tough to plan for him with so little game film. The available game film has doubled from 1 to 2, it's a weird situation. I know two things : He's a tank running forward and he can get the ball downfield. Have to have a big guy spy him and play the ball in the air better than Bama did all season. I would expect a Belichick style mush rush, drop 8, play deeper than the deepest (GTFB) and make him go first down by first down, limit the big plays.

Well, Alabama basically didn't think Jones would run the football at all and sold out to stop the pass (which they still couldn't stop) and OSU responded by calling read option run plays up the A and B gaps which were breaking off anywhere from 5 to 10+ yards per rush. I expect OSU will commit to the run with Jones a lot more in this game knowing they can empty out the playbook.

Random question for anyone that understands college recruiting:

Why does Bama always get stuck with these game manager/non NFL caliber QBs? (McElroy, McCarron, Sims) Couldn't they get a top level passer from HS? It's Bama. They always have talent on the offensive side of the ball, particularly a stud at WR every few years. Seems like a great destination for a top level QB.

Picture if Luck, Tannehill, Wilson, Foles, etc. went to Alabama.

Some epic time mismanagement at the end of the OS/Ala game. I've heard a few defend the deep pass as "going for the jugular" but the simple fact is that a TD was completely unnecessary, perhaps even increasing Alabama's odds of winning, over a simple first down. Pass if you must, but a higher percentage play is much smarter. The only reason that bad decision didn't come back to bite them in the arse is because Sims gave the time back with so bizarre checkdowns.

I'm not sold on Mariotta as an NFL QB. He looks small and the reads are basically high school level. When he pulls the ball down, he mostly just looks to run and seems mistake prone when he ends up chucking it. Sure, he has some physical skills, but there is no way I could justify investing a top 10 pick in him. Frankly, anyone taking him is taking the same risk NE did with JimmyG, yet another arbitrage buy on NE's part that looks smarter in retrospect.

The first part is true.
The bolded part is consistent with this board. The expectation is that the team must be perfect. They must be able to stop every offense, of every type, style and scheme, and somehow have both the greatest size and speed, the best run D and pass D, the best coverage and pass rush.
As you say Saban has his pick of players. Saban has been disgustingly successful. Saban has won 3 National Championships and was ranked #1 before last night, and because of 1 game against an offense that is unique, he has the wrong players. Duh.

Some epic time mismanagement at the end of the OS/Ala game. I've heard a few defend the deep pass as "going for the jugular" but the simple fact is that a TD was completely unnecessary, perhaps even increasing Alabama's odds of winning, over a simple first down. Pass if you must, but a higher percentage play is much smarter. The only reason that bad decision didn't come back to bite them in the arse is because Sims gave the time back with so bizarre checkdowns.

I'm not sold on Mariotta as an NFL QB. He looks small and the reads are basically high school level. When he pulls the ball down, he mostly just looks to run and seems mistake prone when he ends up chucking it. Sure, he has some physical skills, but there is no way I could justify investing a top 10 pick in him. Frankly, anyone taking him is taking the same risk NE did with JimmyG, yet another arbitrage buy on NE's part that looks smarter in retrospect.

I'd really love to hear how the Pats came to decide on Garoppolo (e.g., how did they go about scouting him). I know they brought him in for a visit, and they almost certainly interviewed him at the combine, but beyond that, how many coaches visited? Did they have scouts at every game? Did he have a private workout with BB? etc.

I'm not sold on Mariotta as an NFL QB. He looks small
He's 6'4", 218 (the weight is real, it was a story when he added pounds this offseason). He's only 21 years old, he'll probably be 6'4", 225-230 once he fills out a little more.

As for the rest, his skill set is very good but, yes, his reads and consistent accuracy will need work.

I'm not sold on Mariotta either. Winston is a turd, but his game looks more better suited for the NFL.

I'm not sold on Mariotta either. Winston is a turd, but his game looks more better suited for the NFL.
Marcus will need good coaching and an offense tailored to his skill set.

What he has in his favor, though, is above average arm strength, a good feel for finding WR while on the move and insane foot quickness. He can get to the edge like no QB I've seen since Vick. But the main thing he has going for him is most running QB, for whatever reason, don't seem able or willing to work on their game. RG III, Vick, Kaepernick, etc, they never seem to improve their passing game. Marcus is a totally different personality and will work to improve his passing (both physical and mental) which is why I think he can become a passing QB who can run not a running QB who tries to pass.

Please let him drop to the Jets or Buffalo. Please.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Jets are taking him, isn't it? He should fall to them, they need a QB, and Woody Johnson is pretty much running the show over there. I can't imagine he passes up the chance to take a Heisman-winning QB with huge name recognition and a ton of potential.

Mariota is about one offseason of NFL training from having an identical frame to Colin Kaepernick, who (not) coincidentally I think is a great comp for him. He has a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses, but the main difference is that your chances of coaching the mental deficiencies (the ones that you mentioned) out of a 21 year-old rookie's game are much better than the chances of coaching up a 27 year old three-year NFL starter who hasn't really improved and already got his payday. Drafting Mariota is basically equivalent to hitting the reset button on a better version of Kaepernick.

Mariota's definitely a risk, but with the exception of once-a-decade prospects like Andrew Luck, all QBs are risks. I actually think he's less of a risk than most, since his athletic skills give him a floor that's much higher than someone like, say, Blaine Gabbert. I think that chances are very good that he becomes a viable NFL starter, and there's a real chance that he becomes the kind of QB that everyone lost their mind and thought Kaepernick was becoming back in 2012. Maybe not the best ever like Ron Jaworski claimed, but something that a sane person might suggest.

He'll definitely need coaching, though, and this is why it sometimes bums me out that the top QB prospects invariably go to awful teams; because those teams are awful for a reason, and it usually starts with an inability to develop their young talent. You could practically set a watch to Jacksonville's coaching carousel ruining a promising young QB every fourth year. In a dream scenario (for him), he somehow finds his way to Philadelphia, but that will never happen. In all likelihood he'll end up somewhere where they'll fail to develop him.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back