PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Super-long AFCCG Thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One play I think changed the tone of the game a bit was late in the first half. The Patriots were driving down the field around the 2:00 mark. It was 3rd and 3 (or 4). Brady threw the ball to Welker and it went right through his hands. Instead of a first down and possibly extending the lead, they punt and the chargers got a field goal. If the Patriots got some points there, I think the air would have been taken out of the chargers' sails a bit.

TEMPO.... these past two games the Jags slowed the game down bigtime and it seemed like the chargers slowed it down too. I will be curious to see how many snaps the Pats have which is a lsight indication(but you always have field position and big plays that change that).

because of a slow temp Brady never got rythem.

I said during the chat that I thought going hurry up, no huddle might have helped them get some rhythm or at least forced the chargers to change D. They didn't need it anyway, but maybe it could have helped.

One play I think changed the tone of the game a bit was late in the first half. The Patriots were driving down the field around the 2:00 mark. It was 3rd and 3 (or 4). Brady threw the ball to Welker and it went right through his hands. Instead of a first down and possibly extending the lead, they punt and the chargers got a field goal. If the Patriots got some points there, I think the air would have been taken out of the chargers' sails a bit.

I thought that there were at last two points in the game where New England had an opportunity to put the Chargers away and blow the game open. One was the one you're talking about. Hobbs had gotten the pick and Sanders covered the fumble. I felt that momentum was just about to become overwhelming and then Welker dropped the pass. Even a field goal would have put New England up 17-6 with the ball being theirs after the half and the Chargers demoralized.

The second time was when Brady was looking into the endzone and threw a strike to a wide open Antonio Cromartie. A touchdown there would have made it 21-12 and forced the Chargers to alter the game plan to almost all pass even with the hobbled Rivers.

Of course, I was watching on television and not at the game, so the vibes I was getting might not have been felt by others.

Yep. That was a crucial drop by Welker around 50yd line. Brady was ready for the 2 minute drive and that drop just took the air out and SD gets a FG...6 point swing at the least. Then starting the 2nd half with a certain TD turned into INT.

So, that's a 13 point swing right there.

But then again SD also could;ve easily scored two TD's inside the 10. So, it all evened out in the end

* I went through all the TOs after the SD/Indy game and concluded that Indy was more responsible for them than SD. I honestly feel that I could do something similar with this game, but at some point I have to recognize that flukes don't have such consistency. SD makes you make mistakes. I don't know exactly what they were doing because I still think that Tommy helped their cause somewhat, but their defense clearly disrupted NE's passing game. Much credit needs to be tossed their way.

I agree more with the initial part of your statement more than the latter. I think most of our bad plays were self inflicted. Brady was off. The game plan wasn't well constructed, and the play calling was less than effective. SD's pass rush was largely ineffective, BUT SD's pass coverage WAS excellent, but not enough to hold the Pats to only 260 odd passing yds.

* The trifecta is now complete. I have been pointing out the parallels between this year's playoffs and the 2003 run since the Jax game ended. Every week it seemed that the opponent was similar to their 2003 counterparts. Well, this might be the closest example of all, with the biggest difference being that the 2003 Cats actually won their division. Aaron over at footballoutsiders actually ran though the similarities prior to the NCFFG here.

Its funny but the parallel that immediately came to me, is comparing the Giant's path to the superbowl to the Pats run in 85. Three tough road games by an overacheiving team, to play in a superbowl against what is concidered the BEST team in the NFL. And IMHO the superbowl result will ultimately be around the same as 22 years ago....a blow out win by the team that's supposed to win.

* I may get skewered for saying this, but I thought that Brady was pretty lousy. Of course I understand that guys aren't going to play at their peak level when playing in single digit temperatures with wind. For all his grit, it isn't as if Rivers was lighting it up either.

I don't thing the wind was a factor, especially in the 2nd half when the wind pretty much died down. However based on some second thoughts about how Brady looked so drawn and tired after the game, I'm thinking that he might not have been in the best of health, or some kind of other issue was a factor in Brady's poor game. But it wasn't the weather

* For all the talk about the tremendous play that Seau made prior to SD's 4th FG, I thought that Hobbs deserves just as much credit for his open field tackle of Chambers earlier. Hobbs had to make a nice play going under a blocker and then take out Chris by his legs, and no one was stopping the TD except for Ellis.

I think the Pats have gotten into the habit of playing soft zones for the begining of games and then going to more pressure defenses (harder pass rush, tighter coverages) later in the game. I wish we could mix it up more earlier in the game. For the superbowl, I'd like to see more of the game plan that lead to Ty Law's 3 picks. In that one we had the CBs playing tough man to man in the short zones before passing off the receiver to a deep safety. Law go 2 picks dropping back underneath the throw to the deep out. I think these trap coverages will be effective against THIS Manning

* Kaeding may have made several FGs, but NE dominated the game on special teams. Aside from Washington's tremendous play that set up Asante's int, Kaeding's kicks were extremely short and NE was still able to get consistent return yardage to boot. NE's kick offs AND their KO coverage were both better than SD's by a good margin and the punt games played to about a draw.

Good point - I think our special teams will be an advantage in the superbowl as well. The Pats did a great job on PRs and KORs all game...against a very good returner. Better than anything the Giants have to offer.

* I understand why everyone is giving LdT so much grief, but I'm not sure that it is really deserved. On the screen play that was his final play of the game, he clearly had nothing. I don't know if he reaggravated the knee or if he was hurt worse than anyone knew, but he was not the same guy. And it isn't as if SD was without anyone else to run the ball. If Turner had gotten hurt, I would bet that LdT would have seen the field again, but Turner was clearly the bigger threat at that point.

I think he should have been in there. I think it was a case of player who has NEVER had to deal with a serious leg injury, and when he was confronted by being less than 100%, he didn't deal with it well. THough I do think your comment about having such a good back up in Turner might have helped in the coach's decision to sit LT. This doesn't mean LT isn't physically tough, but learning to deal with injuries is a LEARNED behavior. According to reports this is the first time LT has had to deal with something like this.

Frankly, I thought that the Giants were in Brady's face quite a bit more than SD was. The only int where Brady was under pressure was the second one near midfield when (Phillips?) beat his man and was careening towards Tommy. Other than that, most of the times that Brady was off - be it an int or just an incompletion - he had time and just missed.

Totally agree with this comment. I thought the pass blocking was great. This was a much better situation than last year, especially running the ball. I wonder if the having to play 3 games and the travel hurt the Chargers at the end of the game, just like it hurt the Pats.

BTW- I didn't think your post was very long at all. :D

Last edited:
K. Brady being overthrown by 10 yards on the first play was huge because that was a 20+ yard reception of the ball was anywhere near him. Had NE scored on that drive, I think that game would have gone much differently. My buddy and I were chuckling about another throw after the game where Tommy overthrew Moss on the right sideline by nearly 20 feet, despite Moss being open only 5 yards past the LOS.

I can't help but think that it was more than the weather. Brady just didn't seem himself the entire game, and I'm not just talking about passing either. I wouldn't be surprised if it is leaked out later that he was battling the flu or something.

Just like I get nastily sick once a year, Brady has a game where he just doesn't have it. People will pick on Moss for not doing more, but I believe you have to put this one on Brady. Not to blame Brady...just to recognize that he wasn't mentally or physically capable of getting the ball downfield accurately. Given the DBs for the Bolts, it was better not to try.

I understand why everyone is giving LdT so much grief, but I'm not sure that it is really deserved. On the screen play that was his final play of the game, he clearly had nothing. I don't know if he reaggravated the knee or if he was hurt worse than anyone knew, but he was not the same guy. And it isn't as if SD was without anyone else to run the ball. If Turner had gotten hurt, I would bet that LdT would have seen the field again, but Turner was clearly the bigger threat at that point.

There are two possible scenarios and neither of them positive: a) Tomlinson wussed out with a "playable" injury in the biggest game of his career or b) Tomlinson was injured far worse than he, the coaches or the injury report indicated.

If it turns out to be a), he is forever tainted and will be a burden on the Bolts in the future. Even if Tomlinson were at 75%, the dual threat he presents would have been critical for turning FGs into TDs.

If it turns out to be b), which I believe is more likely, then the Bolts should be getting a call from the NFL asking why a player with an MCL strain that couldn't stand up to a couple of routine hits wasn't on the injury report (even as "probable"). While we are on the subject, why were Rivers and Gates listed as "doubtful" when they fully intended on running both of them out there unless something unforeseen happened? Sounds like a classic definition of "questionable" to me.

If the situation were reversed (Brady, Watson and Maroney), can you imagine the outrage that would have ensued? A phony injury report causes the opposing team to spend their limited preparation time on players that won't be on the field much. I don't understand how this isn't cheating. BTW, everyone can refrain from using the "Brady is on the injury report every week" argument. Belichick is thumbing his nose at the league, but doing it in such a way that league accepts it...and Brady is never anything but "probable" so no advantage is gained.

Fast forward to yesterday and you see a group that essentially stoned SD's pass rush all game and blew them completely off the ball running in the second half.

I don't know about stoning the SD pass rush, but when the Pats are lined up in standard or power formations, they do an excellent job opening holes. When they are in the spread and pass protecting more often than not, they struggle to move the LOS. Like the rest of the offense, the OL needs to get into a rhythm to be effective. Look at Maroney's 2nd half runs and you will see Light/Kaczur and the TEs pushing guys outside, Koppen holding the point of attack in the middle and Neal/Mankins/Evans just destroying multiple defenders on their way down the field. Get these guys on their toes leaning forward instead of always on their heels leaning backward, and they can really do the job.

Last edited:
Why not call a run which did work a couple of times with Evans or a QB sneak or a curl from a std drop back.

:eek: Let's hope this isn't the reason Brady was under the weather yesterday, or the girlfriend of the star quarterback will really be to blame. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft