PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My random thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was impressed with the tackling tonight. Seemed to be no missed tackles and for the most part, receiver were tackled where they caught the ball.

Is it me or does it also seem like the defense swarms to the ball faster as well?

Buck & Aikman - I'm so glad NE is an AFC team.
It seemed like at times they were having a conversation interrupted by a game here and there..I KNOW it was preseason but for anyone in Atlanta or in New England..who were interested in the game it was pitiful. Like Burton's interviews while the game was going on, Fox continued with Pam Oliver's...ALL full of annoyance for any REAL fan of the game. A tip of teh hat for BB for not allowing such nonsense on the Patriot side and a typical BS comment by the announcers for NOT understanding his view. I really did not like Fox's broadcast at all...from not showing down and distance a lot, to the meaningless chatter, guests and the like. I TOO am glad NE is not in the NFC.

Chung has been there and also covers the gunner, both of which Aiken used to do.

Aiken is gone.
They need someone with a few years ST experience..Izzo was that for years..last year Aiken..this year???? The only one who has been on ST that long is Alexander...and I think it would be Aiken over him. Aiken stays. They need a vet ST player to guide the unit and that's something that many overlook.

They need someone with a few years ST experience..Izzo was that for years..last year Aiken..this year???? The only one who has been on ST that long is Alexander...and I think it would be Aiken over him. Aiken stays. They need a vet ST player to guide the unit and that's something that many overlook.

His name is Chung.

Really now, I know it takes time to become a great all around LB, but Mayo never makes a play on the ball in the air. Can anyone remember seeing him bat down a ball or make a interception?

I can't think of many LBs in the league who wouldn't be outmatched trying to cover Gonzalez. But that's why it's the preseason, and that's why the schemes are purely vanilla.

I can't think of many LBs in the league who wouldn't be outmatched trying to cover Gonzalez. But that's why it's the preseason, and that's why the schemes are purely vanilla.

I heard he's pretty good.:p

It's a valuable skill, but I think Hernandez gets those snaps this year. He's not the best blocker in the box, but he does a pretty good job in the open field and will have the defense worried about the pass, rather than thinking run pre-snap. Still, his ST role is always more important to Belichik than to most folks on the message board.
Hernandez is a TE not a WR. He wont be playing WR in 2 WR sets.

Fixed it for you. Marino was 29/50 318 yds 1 Td, 2 int in the Super Bowl. Not great but there have been worse performances by far......

My point remains sound, the game is won and lost at the line, Joe Montana will look like garbage if he doesn't have any protection. People want to bash Cassel right now because memories are short but he preformed quite well here when the pieces were in place around him.

As per the original comment about Cassel, I think at the end of 08 he looked way better than Hoyer does now but Hoyer has advanced much quicker than Cassel. Cassel had all the mental/physical tools but he didn't have the experience, once he got that he blossomed, Hoyer might become amazing but we'll have to wait and see for the time being.

BTW, we desperately need a youtube highlight video of Bledsoe, this should be a board-wide project.

Anyone else think McCourty has surpassed Butler?

Count me in on this Uncle Rico, McCourty/Bodden on the outside as starters with Butler going nickel slot and Wheatley the 4th.

McCourty is a player ! Great instincts, very smooth out there, very, very quick and athletic. Now add this physical, run support that we all saw on Thur night to what he already has, yikes ! A complete, corner in the making.

Last edited:
Count me in on this Uncle Rico, McCourty/Bodden on the outside as starters with Butler going nickel slot and Wheatley the 4th.

McCourty is a player ! Great instincts, very smooth out there, very, very quick and athletic. Now add this physical, run support that we all saw on Thur night to what he already has, yikes ! A complete, corner in the making.

I agree with your assessment as I have from the day he was drafted, but I disagree that he has "surpassed" Butler. I think its more a matter of each having different skill sets and playing different positions. Positions that best match their skill sets. The so called nickel back is going to get more snaps than many so called starting LBs or DLmen

Last edited:
Hernandez is a TE not a WR. He wont be playing WR in 2 WR sets.

I suspect there will be a fair number of times when the Patriots have 3 TEs on the field and 1 WR, when Hernandez will split out, essentially making him a 2nd WR.

I suspect there will be a fair number of times when the Patriots have 3 TEs on the field and 1 WR, when Hernandez will split out, essentially making him a 2nd WR.
Why wouldnt they put a WR on the field, if they are going to use a TE at WR?
Also I don't believe I have ever seen this formation in BBs years in NE.

Why wouldnt they put a WR on the field, if they are going to use a TE at WR?
Also I don't believe I have ever seen this formation in BBs years in NE.

Because sometimes when they have 3 TEs on the field they will line them up in tight to either run or look like they are going to run. It's the same idea as splitting a RB out, or splitting him out and then bringing him back, or starting him in the backfield and then splitting him out - you are trying to not telegraph the formation based on the personnel. If Wes Welker is on the field rather than Hernandez, there's no threat that he's going to be at the end of the line in a 3-point stance.

It's pretty clear from watching training camp and the first two games that they are trying things with Hernandez that they have not tried with anybody else - because his H-back skill set is different from anybody they've had (unless you count Garrett Mills as a less talented Hernandez). Now, obviously, whether they continue to use him in these different ways in the real games will depend on how he performs. If he proves to be an abysmal blocker, his presence in a power run formation ceases to be a realistic threat.

Because sometimes when they have 3 TEs on the field they will line them up in tight to either run or look like they are going to run. It's the same idea as splitting a RB out, or splitting him out and then bringing him back, or starting him in the backfield and then splitting him out - you are trying to not telegraph the formation based on the personnel. If Wes Welker is on the field rather than Hernandez, there's no threat that he's going to be at the end of the line in a 3-point stance.

It's pretty clear from watching training camp and the first two games that they are trying things with Hernandez that they have not tried with anybody else - because his H-back skill set is different from anybody they've had (unless you count Garrett Mills as a less talented Hernandez). Now, obviously, whether they continue to use him in these different ways in the real games will depend on how he performs. If he proves to be an abysmal blocker, his presence in a power run formation ceases to be a realistic threat.
A) I completely disagree that the team has created formations or plays to cater to Hernandez.
B) We were discussing Aikens role as playing WR sometimes because of his run blocking ability. Obviously this has nothing to do with 3 TE formations.
We have moved far off of the point that Aiken, if he makes the team and is active due to special teams ability can get some reps because of his blocking ability as a WR. I never suggested he would be playing TE, just as I wouldn't suggest Hernandez would play WR.
Note: Splitting out a TE is different than playing a TE at a WR position.

A) I completely disagree that the team has created formations or plays to cater to Hernandez.

I for one would be disappointed were the OC this regular season NOT to find new (to the Patriots) ways of utilizing this kid's obvious talents in formations or whatever.

Now that I finally got a chance to watch the game without being drunk...

1. This isn't the most talented team in the league. But, throughout the preseason, they've been playing with a distinct purpose. What, exactly, that purpose is we'll probably never know. But they clearly have a goal this season and seem to be playing with a swagger on both sides of the ball. Hopefully it holds up throughout the regular season when the competition gets much more stiff.

2. Connolly and Neal are good pulling guards. Connolly can get upfield quickly and bear down on a defender before that defender even knows he's there. For my criticisms of Connolly, I've always maintained that he's a good run blocker. His question marks come in pass blocking. Thursday night, he had some good moments in pass blocking, and some not so good moments. One of those moments included when he messed up on an assignment and let Abraham come through his gap. This is something that can be corrected though and, so far through the preseason, Connolly has played better than I expected. Though, to be honest, I didn't have very high expectations to begin with.

3. Vollmer still has areas to work on in his game as well. He has very quick feet for his size, but he's still susceptible to a bull rush. That was the case with the strip sack on Brady (I believe Biermann was his man?). But, overall, he's a solid starting RT and should prove to be an upgrade over Kaczur. He's improved a lot since last season.

4. Fred Taylor is running with a purpose so far this preseason. I hope he stays healthy. A stable of running backs like Taylor, Maroney, Morris, and Faulk as well as a renewed focus on the running game could make this offense extremely hard to stop this season.

5. Brady is in midseason form. Most of us have maintained that he should see a better year in 2010 and that looks to be the case. Welker is back on the field with him (awesome), he and Moss are on the same page, Edelman has improved since 2009 (which is scary), and he looks comfortable with Aaron Hernandez. I was hoping to see some Tate action last night, but he already showed confidence in throwing to Tate for a big third down in the New Orleans game. I'm expecting a solid season from him, though I would probably stay away from him in fantasy leagues. A renewed focus on the running game would help the offense, but hurt his overall statistics.

6. Good to see Welker get on the field again. And it was good to see him get drilled. He needed it.

7. The back-up offensive lineman have quite a bit of work to do.

8. Hopefully we never have to see Brady leave a game again. But, if he does, I would be comfortable with Hoyer coming in. The kid has a strong arm, is a good decision maker, and is mobile in the pocket.

9. Gerard Warren has a little ways to go until he makes us forget about Ty Warren. On the 2nd and 6, he was shoved back by a single blocker as Turner rumbled for a first down. This, unfortunately, was the case more than it wasn't Thursday night. He was frequently handled (though not manhandled) by a single blocker and rarely demanded two guys to block him. I saw him overpersue on multiple occasions as well. If there's good news, though, it's that he appears capable of getting a strong push into the backfield against a single blocker on passing plays. Can he do it against two men? That remains to be seen. Elsewhere on the D-Line, Wilfork was a beast against the run. Wright appeared to have a strong game but, to be honest, my eyes were focused on Wilfork and Warren more than him.

10. Brandon Spikes, I think, has already solidified himself as the bonafide starter at ILB next to Mayo. I don't even think it's a question. McKenzie should spell him with Guyton coming in on third downs. I'm very excited to see what Spikes and Mayo are going to do together this season.

11. I also can't wait to see what Chung will do this season. He has been all over the field in both the Saints and the Falcons games. He shows a strong nose for the ball, is a sure tackler, and can hit like a Mack truck. His coverage abilities also seem to be well improved over last preseason as well.

That's about it for now.

Is it me or does it also seem like the defense swarms to the ball faster as well?

A result of increased speed in the LB corps and defensive backfield. Also a sign that the younger guys are understanding their roles and assignments.

I for one would be disappointed were the OC this regular season NOT to find new (to the Patriots) ways of utilizing this kid's obvious talents in formations or whatever.
Those ways already exist. We dont have to create ways to use a receiving TE. We will simply be putting a more capable guy in the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST