PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint For the Pats

YES!!

Yes...I...AM!! :rocker:

Two notes, though...

1 ~ Humble Apologies for taking a day to get back: My @#$% "Service Provider" is up to some twisted brand of #$%&ery, and my Connection has been extremely sketchy, which caused me ~ indirectly ~ to not realize that anyone'd hit this Thread, since I had. Long story, and believe me you don't want to know...

2 ~ I'm FAR more spread out than I was a year ago, so I'm only NOW ~ as per Plan, more or less ~ REALLY getting into the Draft...And I've done about 6 months worth of Taping Reading & CrossChecking in the last week or so!!

Of course, that means that I'm still a few months behind...but catching up rapidly!!

Hoping to Toot a little Crack and Marathon my way into producing V1.0, this weekend...

Anybody in particular on your mind, Brother Knot?? :D

Apology not necessary. I'm eagerly awaiting V1, but no there isn't any particular prospects I'm confused on. I'm already super deep into the process. I've already been knocked down and gotten back up. I'd be ready to go if the draft was tomorrow! :eek:

Twinage is important, but overrated...yes?

Few things infuriated me more than Gronk II...as he displaced Yeatman. :mad:

Apology not necessary.

I'm eagerly awaiting V1, but no there isn't any particular prospects I'm confused on.

I'm already super deep into the process.

I've already been knocked down and gotten back up.

I'd be ready to go if the draft was tomorrow! :eek:

My Man. :cool:

Ok if im the Patriots i am stockpiling first round picks legitimately by the bucketload. There are so many potential stars in the draft class Marquise Lee, Teddy Bridgewater, Jadeveon Clowney, stephon Tuitt, austin Sefarian Jenkins, Bradley Roby, Bennie Logan, anthony Barr and a bunch of other guys. I would legitimately kill to have 2 or 3 first round picks with that class.

while I really like the mock in theory, I'm still kinda wary of waiting until #50
before making our first pick, esp if Ogletree is gone by then. What's a palatable Plan B?

Tony Pauline mentioned back in November that Scout were concerned about Dion Jordan's shoulder injury:

Scouts are excited yet at the same time concerned about Oregon's Dion Jordan. The senior has taken his game to another level this season, expanding his skills on the field and effectively handling a variety of roles. Jordan has been a forceful and disciplined defender and plays within himself. He's also been suffering from a shoulder injury which has forced an early exit from the past two games. If healthy, Jordan could end up a top 60 choice, but his shoulder will be thoroughly examined at the Senior Bowl.

Markus Wheaton rises, Josh Boyd slides in NFL draft Week 10 ratings - Tony Pauline - SI.com

If injury concerns cause Jordan to drop to the 50 range, he could be an attractive alternative to Ogletree.

And an alternative to David Amerson at #82 would be LSU junior CB Tharold Simon, who has now declared for the draft. He's got some similarities to Richard Sherman, with similar size at nearly 6'3" 193#, and plays good press-man CB. NFL DraftScout has him ranked #87 right now, in the same range as Amerson. He's raw, but so was Sherman coming out, and Talib/Dennard means there's no pressure for him to develop immediately. Ras-I Dowling would move to safety in that scenario. Simon might also project to FS, but he has good man cover skills.

Hmm, maybe, but I think it's more likely he thinks one of the soon to be head coaches or GMs may like Kafka. In that case it's like a free draft pick. I don't know, it's another option to think about.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward this scenario more than I am toward trading Mallett pre-draft
without Cassel already on board.

Grid's going to wait before the week before the draft and then deluge us with 10,000 posts, all with blinding use of fonts and capitalization. It will be ... BIBLICAL.

I'm afraid that this will prove to be very close to the truth!!
jester.gif

I will be very late to the Party, this year ~ 1st Week of March is my Target ~ and that will probably be the way I handle my Time for the Foreseeable Future, Brethren...Measure Twice, Cut Once, and all that. :p

Gotta move my Time around: I'm going Back To School, you see!! :D

3006835602_f1f8ac8b95_o.jpg

My Compliments to Brothers Mayo, Manx, and all Ye who've made this Section of the Site Great. :rocker:

I'm afraid that this will prove to be very close to the truth!!

I will be very late to the Party, this year ~ 1st Week of March is my Target ~ and that will probably be the way I handle my Time for the Foreseeable Future, Brethren...Measure Twice, Cut Once, and all that. :p

My Compliments to Brothers Mayo, Manx, and all Ye who've made this Section of the Site Great. :rocker:

You cannot hide forever, Grid.

I'm trying to picture Grid turning in a paper similar to one of his mock drafts. Or, more accurately, the professor's reaction thereto. :lol2:

Last edited:
I'm trying to picture Grid turning in a paper similar to one of his mock drafts. Or, more accurately, the professor's reaction thereto. :lol2:

I can see it now:

Shakespeare's Macbeth
By "Off the Grid"

Macbeth is one WEIRD play. I mean, literally, WEIRD. It starts with three really WEIRD sisters sitting around a cauldron out in the middle of nowhere in Scotland. I mean, what the hell is that? Mackenzie would have 6 Tivo screens going checking out all the games at the very least, but all they can do is mutter dumber predictions than Marshall Faulk.

Then this poor guy Macbeth comes along. All he wants is to be Thane of Cawdor and coach his team, but his freaking wife is more ambitious than Giselle. :eek: So what do they do? They kill the King of Scotland, right when he's staying at their Castle. :bricks: Dumb move. I mean, talk about obvious suspects. But the police are just about as smart as Mike Tannenbaum, so the guy gets away with it, but then he and his wife start to implode just like the Jets' locker room. I mean, she sees blood on her hands and he starts muttering stupid soliloquys to himself and hallucinating about the trees moving. It's enough to cause a Butt Fumble!!! :rocker: I mean, no wonder the McDuff team gets a bunch of turnovers and puts up 35 points in one quarter on them.

Jesus Scottish football is WEIRD! It makes less sense than trying to run a Wildcat with Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez.

Last edited:
I can see it now:

Shakespeare's Macbeth
By "Off the Grid"

Macbeth is one WEIRD play. I mean, literally, WEIRD. It starts with three really WEIRD sisters sitting around a cauldron out in the middle of nowhere in Scotland. I mean, what the hell is that? Mackenzie would have 6 Tivo screens going checking out all the games at the very least, but all they can do is mutter dumber predictions than Marshall Faulk.

Then this poor guy Macbeth comes along. All he wants is to be Thane of Cawdor and coach his team, but his freaking wife is more ambitious than Giselle. :eek: So what do they do? They kill the King of Scotland, right when he's staying at their Castle. :bricks: Dumb move. I mean, talk about obvious suspects. But the police are just about as smart as Mike Tannenbaum, so the guy gets away with it, but then he and his wife start to implode just like the Jets' locker room. I mean, she sees blood on her hands and he starts muttering stupid soliloquys to himself and hallucinating about the trees moving. It's enough to cause a Butt Fumble!!! :rocker: I mean, no wonder the McDuff team gets a bunch of turnovers and puts up 35 points in one quarter on them.

Jesus Scottish football is WEIRD! It makes less sense than trying to run a Wildcat with Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez.

Nice one, although I think you should have incorporated more of SuperBeast!!!, Stud Horse!! and definitively some ~~~~~~. :D

Nice one, although I think you should have incorporated more of SuperBeast!!!, Stud Horse!! and definitively some ~~~~~~. :D

That's for the next paper.

And I was looking for the Al Davis vomiting icon to end it, but couldn't find it in the icon list anymore. Shame.

Interesting idea suggested by Deus - trading our 1st round pick to KC for DT Dontari Poe if the Chiefs swtch to a 4-3 and decide he doesn't fit:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/996974-idea-ponder.html

I'm not sure they'd do it, but BB has a relationship with Andy Reid which should certainly open the door to a conversation. It all depends on where the Chiefs are headed. Despite a bit of a slow start, Poe started all 16 games for the Chiefs, had 38 tackles with 4 PD, and became a 3 down player:

Massive Dontari Poe shows sliver of impact potential for Chiefs - NFL - Sporting News

Imagine if the Pats signed Armond Armstead and traded for Poe. We could have a front 4 that looked something like this:

Ninkovich/Armstead - Wilfork - Poe - Jones

With Armstead moving inside as a pass rusher as well. Add in Love, Deaderick and Pryor/Forston for depth at DT and Cunningham, Francis and Bequette at DE, and you'd have a really good 11 man DL.

Interesting idea suggested by Deus - trading our 1st round pick to KC for DT Dontari Poe if the Chiefs swtch to a 4-3 and decide he doesn't fit:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/996974-idea-ponder.html

I'm not sure they'd do it, but BB has a relationship with Andy Reid which should certainly open the door to a conversation. It all depends on where the Chiefs are headed. Despite a bit of a slow start, Poe started all 16 games for the Chiefs, had 38 tackles with 4 PD, and became a 3 down player:

Massive Dontari Poe shows sliver of impact potential for Chiefs - NFL - Sporting News

Imagine if the Pats signed Armond Armstead and traded for Poe. We could have a front 4 that looked something like this:

Ninkovich/Armstead - Wilfork - Poe - Jones

With Armstead moving inside as a pass rusher as well. Add in Love, Deaderick and Pryor/Forston for depth at DT and Cunningham, Francis and Bequette at DE, and you'd have a really good 11 man DL.

If he fits our 4-3, why doesn't he fit there's? I didn't really relish the idea of using a first on him last year and I'm going to want more than "a sliver of impact potential" to do so now. I'd prefer "oozing" to "sliver".

If he fits our 4-3, why doesn't he fit there's? I didn't really relish the idea of using a first on him last year and I'm going to want more than "a sliver of impact potential" to do so now. I'd prefer "oozing" to "sliver".

Somehow I didn't expect you to jump at the idea. :p

It's hard to evaluate the NT position. Stats obviously don't tell the story, but Poe's compare reasonably well to Wilfork's as a rookie: Poe started all 16 games and had 38 tackles with 4 PD; Wilfork played in all 16 games and started 6 (for a better team) and had 42 tackles and 3 PD. For a better evaluation you'd have to look at the All-22 tape, and/or talk to some of the former KC coaching staff and get their views on the kid's development. But my impression is that after initially being considered a bust, Poe actually did pretty well for a first year NT, at a position that generally takes time for prospects to develop.

Obviously, if the kid did too well, KC's not going to want to trade him, or is going to want to get more for him. So I'm OK with "slivers" for now, subject to assessment by more competent personnel.

As for KC keeping him, my guess is that they probably will. He's very athletic and probably could play 4-3 NT or 4-3 DT as well as 3-4 NT. But it depends to some extent on who their DC ends up beiong and what scheme they run. Any Reid has never really had a massive DT like Poe in his defenses, and seems to have preferred quicker DTs, so he might want to go in a different direction. Again, it's just speculation.

It's an intriguing idea to me, a long shot, but one which I thought was worth throwing in this thread as an option to consider depending on how things unfold in KC. I doubt anything will come of it. But I would be interested in at least exploring it if the opportunity arose.

I'm with ya Manxman. I think we spend too much time looking at the Glory Days defense of 01-04. The game has changed dramatically. Look at our offense for comparision's sake. Sure we want a big, tough defense. The difference in team speed amongst the top defenses compared to ours is shocking. SF, Seattle and Baltimore before they got old. We really need speed and athleticism everywhere IMO. Defensive line(penetrating dt), olb(who can actually run and cover te's and rb's) and our secondary. Don't want the old school typical SS prospect to replace Chung. Need someone who can play the ball and tackle.

I'm afraid we'll end up with; Jesse Williams, John Simon and Robert Lester.

Unfortunately, speed on defense is not something BB seems to value all that highly. Size and stoutness on the other hand is.

I'd like a fast attacking defense but that would require almost a complete rebuild. And for it to be truly effective, it would require a few years of high draft picks I suspect to get those dominant athletic JJ Watt/Fletcher Cox types.

I suspect BB's two gap more passive style is as much about the draft value of a perpetually winning team as it is about defensive preferences.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back