PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 1999 Tom Brady anecdote

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also ran the meanest play fake I've ever seen in spring of 99. We had Tommy Hendricks (future Miami Dolphin) as one of our safeties. Hendricks loved to show up the offense in practice, and let them know how badass our defense was. Brady ran a play that had a fake, and then a fake off of the end around. Hendricks was blitzing, and was about to clean Brady's clock on the exchange, when he stopped, and started chasing Marcus Knight, who was faking the end around. Everyone watched Knight and Hendricks. Except those who knew the call. About 2 seconds later, Brady turned, revealed the ball that was neatly tucked behind his leg, and hit Dave Terrell for a wiiiiiiiide open strike of about 85 yards. The entire offense went running and whooping into the end zone, and the offensive team on the sidelines went crazy running onto the field.

I am still in awe of that play.
Maybe you can get that play over to BB for the game Sunday? :)

Zingerman's is different. trust me. I know what I speak of. And as for pizza, I grew up in New Haven. Screw New York pizza!!!

Seriously, Zingerman's is unbelievable. It's run like a New York deli but with money to burn. The owner literally flies around the world and returns with top quality specialty foods. The prices are out of control, but that bastard used to rob me for $12 a pop for a BLT. I couldn't get enough of his Arkansas Pepper Cracked Bacon.

I think the other people who lived in AA will vouch for this. I lived in New York for many years, and I'm always dropping in on my brother who now lives on the East Side. I haven't found anything as good in that city. It's because Zing's is gourmet, while the rich people in Manhattan don't hang out at Deli's.

We can probably argue about this forever, though being a pizza conniseur, I have heard about some legendary pizza in New Haven, but puhleease, fuhgetibowtit, NYC Pizza blows every pizza away. Some of the actual NYC Jewish delis are tourist traps, therefore aren't the great delis people talk about, but some of the unknown Jewish delis, your everyday Jewish deli, has some of the best sandwiches in the world. I know from what I speak, the pizza and the delis are the reason why I eat Lean Cuisine meals 3 times a day, lol. I will take your word on Zing's though, sounds awesome, but nuttin beats NYC pizza.

Pepe's Pizza New Haven. Try it, you might like it.

Pepe's Pizza New Haven. Try it, you might like it.

That's one of the legendary one's I've seen on TV (I used to watch the Food Network to apease the ex-wife, lol). For any fans who have been to NYC, or want to visit, check out John's Pizza in Greenwich Village, Lombardi's in Little Italy (possibly the first pizza joint in America), Grimaldi's in Brooklyn. My favorite is a little know pizza joint on 1st ave and 12th street called Stromboli's. MMMM sweet sauce.

+1. I lived in AA for 4 years (not as a student) from 2001-2005. That seafood place on Main Street was tough. I've had much better.

If you liked Deli food, Zingerman's rivals any New York kosher Deli. In fact, I'd say it beats them.

I hung out a lot at Old Towne Tavern, del Rio, & The Earle.

Good food at the Ethiopian Place, a couple Sushi joints, Indian over by the university, and Mexican on Washtenaw near Ypsilanti. I literally didn't have a kitchen when I lived there, and so I was eating out practically all the time. I found most of the food joints on Main Street to be very overrated. No, check that. The Chinese place on lower Main was excellent.

I'd take Buffalo over AA any day. AA is a pretty town, but I was bored silly there. In fact, all I did was eat and drink at bars/restaurants and catch the occasional movie at State.

Oh, and I hate Michigan football. LOL.

Lets see...Indian was probably Raja Rani, Mexican was most certainly Tios. The chinese place you reference is Middle Kingdom- they are excellent. I agree, a lot of the Main St. dining is overrated. The big name places are all owned by the same group, so it's not surprising. As for AA v. other cities, well, it's a matter of knowing the area and what you want to do. I've lived in SE Michigan my entire life, AA since I moved to school in 1998. I really have everything I want here, but as someone who travels a lot, I'm able to get my fix of everything I fancy. I can definitely understand how someone could get bored easily here, especially if they come from an area with a strong downtown setting.

As for hating Michigan football, well, can't help you there. That must be a birth defect. :D

Zingerman's is different. trust me. I know what I speak of. And as for pizza, I grew up in New Haven. Screw New York pizza!!!

Seriously, Zingerman's is unbelievable. It's run like a New York deli but with money to burn. The owner literally flies around the world and returns with top quality specialty foods. The prices are out of control, but that bastard used to rob me for $12 a pop for a BLT. I couldn't get enough of his Arkansas Pepper Cracked Bacon.

I think the other people who lived in AA will vouch for this. I lived in New York for many years, and I'm always dropping in on my brother who now lives on the East Side. I haven't found anything as good in that city. It's because Zing's is gourmet, while the rich people in Manhattan don't hang out at Deli's.

Zingermans is solid. I think Maize & Blue Deli on South U was a better buy for your buck- very good and about half the price. Better for students. I've been to many a NYC deli, and I agree Zingermans rivals them. Zingermans opened a Road House on Stadium a couple years ago that is a solid place as well. Their bakery outlet is underrated, too. Fantastic.

As for hating Michigan football, well, can't help you there. That must be a birth defect. :D

No it comes with a degree from one of the most boring places on earth. Centre County, PA.

AA kicks the living hell out of that place. Luckily, it was a grad degree.

Michigan Dave,

Thanks for the stories. You were there, and by relating those key plays to us, you give us NE fans some tasty info not usually discussed in the press or talk radio. Appreciate it!

I really have everything I want here, but as someone who travels a lot, I'm able to get my fix of everything I fancy.

I had my first XXL Garbage Burger at AA's Max and Erma's... ca 1999... and I'm still carrying much of it with me...

There was a place near Eisenhower, one of the Coney Island diners, and I used to get lunch there as it was near where I worked. The cheeseburgers weren't bad, and they were priced right, but the best part was being served by a cute waitress who called everyone "honey". Said it like she meant it. And with a midwest accent, to boot. Let me tell you, getting a woman to call a lone traveler "honey" was well worth the $5 bucks.

Angelo's on 57th gets my vote.

I've always thought so too, but I took the family there just last weekend and it wasn't quite as good it used to be -- crust was too soft. Maybe just an off day.

And yes, I have had pizza in Ann Arbor too. It had sesame seeds on the crust. :eek:

I've always thought so too, but I took the family there just last weekend and it wasn't quite as good it used to be -- crust was too soft. Maybe just an off day.

I'm at Angelo's every June. Usually seated at the window table, we have our anniv. dinner there. Yeah, you must have had an off night for their pizza.

You should've tried Real Seafood on Main St. It's probably Ann Arbor's best seafood.

My office is on Main St. downtown.

That's where I went. I thought it was terrible!

I did enjoy the food at Arbor Brew and Grizzly Peak. They had this amazing burger that was served on an english muffin! I did spend most of my non-school hours at Conor's, though.

Best food I had up there was at this little dive place in Ypsi- I think it was called the Trackside- it was the first place I ever had a fried dill pickle. Amazing!

I still miss going to Kerrytown on Saturdays for the Farmer's Market. In ATL, the Famer's markets are all indoors and lack the neighborhood feel.

Haven't been to A2 since I graduated in 04, but I hope to get back for a game this fall!

Wow. Good question. He would've been a redshirt freshman then (1996 regular season), and I was a junior in high school, so I didn't know him then. I never really asked him about that. I would guess the Pats, because he was a big 49ers fan, and they were eliminated by Green Bay that year. Knowing Tommy's competitiveness, I'm guessing he was rooting against Green Bay. He was indifferent on the Pats before being drafted.

Thanks. I've often wondered if Tedy ever asked Tom who he was cheering for... "You Tedy, you..." :rolleyes:

I did enjoy the food at Arbor Brew and Grizzly Peak. They had this amazing burger that was served on an english muffin! I did spend most of my non-school hours at Conor's, though.

Best food I had up there was at this little dive place in Ypsi- I think it was called the Trackside- it was the first place I ever had a fried dill pickle. Amazing!

I still miss going to Kerrytown on Saturdays for the Farmer's Market. In ATL, the Famer's markets are all indoors and lack the neighborhood feel.

Haven't been to A2 since I graduated in 04, but I hope to get back for a game this fall!

Well, comparatively speaking, Real Seafood is good. I'm not gonna lie, when I go out east, and then come back to the midwest, the seafood leaves a lot to be desired.

Arbor Brew Pub is awesome. I LOVE that place. It's not as popular as Grizzly Peak, but I like it better. The homemade chips are insane, and the steak & cheese sandwich is great. It's only a couple blocks away from my office, so we go there quite often. This thread is making me hungry...

LOL, that's actually high class for Ypsi. There are plenty of dives in that town. But that one is the town meeting place.

LOL, that's actually high class for Ypsi. There are plenty of dives in that town. But that one is the town meeting place.

Big Boy is high class for Ypsi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents