PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most problematic matchup? Wilfork/Haynesworth or Nnamdi/Revis?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which duo is the most problematic for Offensive Coordinators...

• Wilfork/Haynesworth

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Revis/Nnamdi

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have all the offensive players close to the line, so you can double team on blocks. You can't really double team a cornerback, though, and there will be 2 elite CBs shutting down opponents. Take a look at the Jets' schedule for the year.

Cowboys
Jaguars
Raiders
Ravens
Patriots
Dolphins
Chargers
Bills
Patriots
Broncos
Bills
Redskins
Chiefs
Eagles
Giants
Dolphins

Between the teams with shaky QBs, the teams with shaky receivers, The teams with no running games to keep the Jets honest, and the teams with shaky lines, there are a lot of interceptions just waiting to happen in that group.
I understand what you're saying it's simply my preference for line play.

I understand what you're saying it's simply my preference for line play.

I generally prefer line play, too. But when you've got the Hayes/Haynes sort of thing going, you're killing an opponent's passing game. As good as the Patriots line was with Warren/Wilfork/Seymour, it was never so dominant against the run that teams just conceded the middle of the field.

When you're throwing against Revis/Asomugha, though, you're basically conceding 2/3 of the field in the passing game and focusing on what you can do with dump offs and the middle of the field. Chad Henne's not threading the needle against Revis/Asomugha on 15 yard outs.

I generally prefer line play, too. But when you've got the Hayes/Haynes sort of thing going, you're killing an opponent's passing game. As good as the Patriots line was with Warren/Wilfork/Seymour, it was never so dominant against the run that teams just conceded the middle of the field.

When you're throwing against Revis/Asomugha, though, you're basically conceding 2/3 of the field in the passing game and focusing on what you can do with dump offs and the middle of the field. Chad Henne's not threading the needle against Revis/Asomugha on 15 yard outs.
Luckily for the Pats Henne isn't our starting Qb then ;). My problem with Asomugha as high on his talent as I am is the recollections of Matt Cassel putting a beat down on him in 2008.

If it all unfolds it's going to be gripping viewing.

I would say revis and aso except for one thing......they can only shut down the WRs.......the jets are still very vulnerable in the middle against TEs and RBs......stretch the field and dump off.....just call a dink and dunk game plan against them.

Wilfork/haynesworth can be schemed depending on downs.....having the height in the middle on passing downs will be welcome again, and running plays are going outside.....so the tackling will need to be good

CBs get pick 6s

Dline get strip sacks

Then again good CBs create sacks, and good Dline create INTs.

CBs get pick 6s

Dline get strip sacks

Then again good CBs create sacks, and good Dline create INTs.
How about we say good players are good players Gunnails? :p

jeezus...did you guys forget the AFC Championship game last season??? Cromartie is a good CB, agreed? OK...so what is the upgrade to Asomugha? This will stop what the Steelers did with a BANGED UP,DECIMATED O line???This will stop Mendenhall from racking up 121 yards on 27 carries? Five plus yards a carry? Asomugha is going to make a difference that Cromartie couldn't? AND, the Rat defensive front seven remarkably WEAKER this season???

Revis had ONE pass defensed, Cromartie ZERO..Revis had THREE solo tackles, Cromartie five...Asomougha replacing Cromartie is magically going to lock down a Mendenhall type running attack behind a banged up O line and reverse a 24-19 loss??? Asomugha and Revis are going to shut down a three TE running/halfback pass attack that NE can NOW throw at them?

Get friggin real....this Asomugha deal is a "Hard Knocks" special...."we're winning the Super Bowl!!!!!...yeah...sure they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News