PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts – Dolphins edition and other tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very thorough analysis, Ken. I think you covered pretty much all of the bases quite nicely, and I'm curious to see some of the responses in the following 48 hrs.

These week one games are sometimes a bit hard to predict due to some of the variables and matchups that you bring up. We just don't know enough about the losses/additions in the offseason, and how they may affect either team.
That's why I think that this is the week for upsets around the league. Every team have had literally months to prepare for this game, unlike the 6 days they usually have. With a new OC, the Pats have no tape and probably looked more at Philly tape than old Dolphins footage to try and make sense of what they might see from the Phins offense. In a similar sense, the Dolphins are probably guessing at what the Pats might do on defense. Sure Patricia has been around for a long time, but nothing in what they saw in the preseason can be of much help.

New personnel, new coaches and coordinators. and very little to go on in order to prepare. For a detail oriented staff like BB's they must hate the first game of the season. After this week, the data piles up. Personnel weakness and strengths become apparent, and coaches tendencies start to reveal themselves, with every week that passes. Its not just by magic that BB's teams are always better in the 2nd half of the season. The more they know the better the game plan. Unfortunately in week one, the information they have is the most limited.

Here are some of my thoughts:

• I expect the Pats to unveil an amoeba offense on Sunday. I think they will be throwing a bunch of different sets at Miami from two RBs, two TEs, and four and five WRs. I think they will keep Miami off balance with all these different formations peppered with a bunch of up tempo offense.
  • I think the Pats will use Tim Wright a lot more than people expect. The Dolphins are going to be depleted at safety and LB due to injuries and suspensions. I think Wright showed he is a quick learner by playing so much in the last preseason game without ever even practicing with the team. This will catch the Dolphins a bit off guard because I am sure they haven't really game planned for him at all.
  • I think the heat factor is being overrated. The Pats have been practicing in the heat and humidity the last few weeks. Yes, it has been a mild summer, but the last two weeks have been hot and humid. It is supposed to be 87 degrees and 72% humidity on Sunday in South FL. That isn't much worse than what it has been in Foxboro the last two weeks.
  • I am torn about whether Revis should be matched up with Wallace. Wallace is such a streaky player than he could easily have a one catch 10 yard day with Dennard or someone else covering him as he could have seven catches and 150 yards and two TDs. Despite the fact that Wallace killed the Pats last year in the second game, Hartline is the more consistent threat.
  • The thing I am most interested to see is if the Pats really are going to be more of an aggressive attack defense or have we all been duped into believing that the Pats are really going to radically change their defense.

Last edited:
All I know is that I'm getting more amped for this game as every hour passes. I've been doing some serious jonesing for this season, I think because of our loss to Gomer in the AFCCG. New England (and everyone else) now has a clean slate to start off with.

I'm thinking that because of the heat and Miami's more up-tempo offense this year that the score will be close, but hey... I'm always happy to see a blowout with the Pats on top. :)

The biggest difference for the Pats this year is the change of personnel in their biggest weakness last season.

New Team Doctor.

I'm thinking that because of the heat and Miami's more up-tempo offense this year that the score will be close
Up Tempo won't put points on the board for Miami it will just get the ball back in Brady's hands quicker. Tannehill has played well this preseason but I don't expect the Dolphins to have a lot of success against our new defense; and with a quick passing game from the Patriots to offset the posssibly shaky pass protection I think we're more likely to see JG in garbage time than a nail biter.

I expect the Pats to unveil an amoeba offense on Sunday. I think they will be throwing a bunch of different sets at Miami from two RBs, two TEs, and four and five WRs. I think they will keep Miami off balance with all these different formations peppered with a bunch of up tempo offense.

Pat Kirwin has been raving for a couple weeks about the up-tempo offense he saw the day he spent in Foxboro. Brady was calling out one word plays and the team was executing at a very, very fast pace -- faster than he has ever seen.

Kirwin says the key is the hybrid players that give the Pats a run/pass option on every play in the hurry up. Vereen. Develin. Wright. The tight ends. He saw the acquisition of Tim Wright as HUGE because the two tight-end sets are SO effective in the pass/run option. As he explains it, it is the hybrid players that allow you to always catch the defense in the wrong personnel. If you catch 'em with a nickle package, you go hurry up and run it down their throats. Catch em in base defense, go hurry up and pass the ball.

Because of this, I expect Vereen to be the feature back in the Pats offense.

----------

BTW, Kirwin said all last year that what was really limiting the Pats was that they just didn't have the personnel/experience to run their hurry-up.

I think that playing a tackle at tight end is a key part of this whole package. This gives you another hybrid: max protect for a passing play, especially with Vereen in the pattern OR a massive road grader formation for a power running game. How would you like to stop the run with a nickle package against six O-linemen for the Pats in the hurry up?

To start, I think the heat and the weather is a complete red herring. When has a Belichick team ever been impacted by heat or dehydration? I cant think of a single case.

All pre-season, we've seen base defense and standard line up and go offense. Whatever they have planned for this season, it will be unveiled in Miami. That's pretty exciting, because the talent is good, the coaching is brilliant and the roster is (knock on wood) healthy.

My Big Question
What offensive scheme are they going to use against the Fins?

As a long time Belichick observer, I find the 6 OL hypothesis that BB uncharacteristically dropped to the media is slightly fascinating. When has he ever been so forthcoming about scheme and personnel before a game? Even after the game, he dodges and questions around game tactics. Is he loosening up in his old age? Or is this more of a head fake for the media? Or does he know the Fins know it's coming, and so there's no harm in speaking it out loud to the press?

If I were writing the game plan
Given the state of our TE position (injuries + tenure in system), and the fact that the Fins DL is rather strong rushing the passer and shooting gaps, but weaker containing the run, I really do like the idea of base 6 OL with the 2 RB sets that we saw against Carolina.

Develin plus Stephen "the forgotten man" Ridley, with a regular dose of Shane Vereen. And Bolden and White in rotation. Our depth at RB and OL is exceptional, and much better than the depth of their DL. Pound their interior line into exhaustion. Run them around a whole bunch. Have them chase 10 yards downfield on 1st down. Then, in the 2nd half, will be much easier to over the top to Edelman, Thompkins and Dobson without as much heat from the interior pass rush.

Even supposing we ARE going to be a 2 TE offense this year, why tip our hand in Week 1? We have a pretty good match-up running the ball inside. Let's show the running game and give our future opponents some tape to watch. Zone blocking behind 6 OL, pulling guards, split backs with a hard nosed FB. Big boy football.

Reiss has been tweeting that he expects the Pats to rotate 6 or 7 OL. That still leaves Brady and some defenders as likely to play every snap or close to it, but a lot of positions seem amenable to the sort of rotation that helps guys be a little less gassed.

Actually, I'd be surprised if Solder and Vollmer don't take every snap as well.

I'll be at this game. I'll try to log in and post in here about how brutal the heat is.
Try running up and down the stairs a few times and (maybe) throw a 30 pound pack on your back or see if you can give a 2 year old a piggy-back ride and then let us know :D how the heat/humidity is affecting you.

Have fun at the game.

BTW, Kirwin said all last year that what was really limiting the Pats was that they just didn't have the personnel/experience to run their hurry-up.

I think that playing a tackle at tight end is a key part of this whole package. This gives you another hybrid: max protect for a passing play, especially with Vereen in the pattern OR a massive road grader formation for a power running game. How would you like to stop the run with a nickle package against six O-linemen for the Pats in the hurry up?

Why in the world would a defense be in nickel against 6 OL? The question is, "Can the Pats dominate with the passing game with 6 OL on the field against Miami's base defense?" I'm going to go with "Yes," given the reportedly depleted state of Miami's LB/S rotation.

Reiss has been tweeting that he expects the Pats to rotate 6 or 7 OL. That still leaves Brady and some defenders as likely to play every snap or close to it, but a lot of positions seem amenable to the sort of rotation that helps guys be a little less gassed.

Actually, I'd be surprised if Solder and Vollmer don't take every snap as well.

I think one of the reasons that Cannon has been planted firmly at tackle is because BB plans to regularly rotate Solder out to TE, requiring him to miss a snap each time he comes back to LT. I can't wait to see him do his best Gronk impression when he finally catches a pass. Could he do to a LB what Gronk does to safeties?

If I were writing the game plan
Given the state of our TE position (injuries + tenure in system), and the fact that the Fins DL is rather strong rushing the passer and shooting gaps, but weaker containing the run, I really do like the idea of base 6 OL with the 2 RB sets that we saw against Carolina.
I wouldn't, Miami has some LB out they won't be able to cover our short passing game. Gronk, Edelman, Vereen, Wright, get the ball out quickly to protect the OL and pick on the LB all day.

1. I'm with a lot of you that the heat is not going to be quite the factor everyone is making it out to be. The Pats are always pretty well prepared for the elements, and the condition of the team I've rarely seen called into question.

2. I agree with others that the state of Miami's LB core is going to open up a lot of opportunities, particularly for Wright.

3. Not so sure Gronk is going to see a ton of snaps in this game, but he's going to feature prominently if we get a big lead early; as a run blocker. I could see BB pounding the rock and withering the Miami defense down in the heat and taking away their pass rush game at the same time.

4. Brady will be fine. Perhaps the "calf" is the new "right shoulder".

The heat will be a issue for Gronk and Dobson more then anyone given their limited practice this year. The won't quite be in game shape yet.

3. Not so sure Gronk is going to see a ton of snaps in this game, but he's going to feature prominently if we get a big lead early; as a run blocker. I could see BB pounding the rock and withering the Miami defense down in the heat and taking away their pass rush game at the same time.[/MEDIA]

I expect Gronk to be limited to red zone snaps. Even with with the passing game issues last year, Brady was able to move the ball between the 20's. Unfortunately, the offense stalled in the red zone without the NFL's best red zone target. If NE gets an early lead, I expect Houman to be the run blocker, again to preserve Gronk and get him to the finish line

What are Bradys career stats in MIA?

an

So who cares that we
I expect Gronk to be limited to red zone snaps. Even with with the passing game issues last year, Brady was able to move the ball between the 20's. Unfortunately, the offense stalled in the red zone without the NFL's best red zone target. If NE gets an early lead, I expect Houman to be the run blocker, again to preserve Gronk and get him to the finish line
Its not just Gronk, B, with Wright and Lafell also available on the GL, it will only make it easier for Aaron Dobson to become a factor on the GL.

Hard to image that the Pats can send out 4 receivers on the GL and the short guy is 6'3. :eek:

an

So who cares that we
Its not just Gronk, B, with Wright and Lafell also available on the GL, it will only make it easier for Aaron Dobson to become a factor on the GL.

Hard to image that the Pats can send out 4 receivers on the GL and the short guy is 6'3. :eek:
Think of all the sub par stats from last year that should be completely reversed this year based on a D capable of 3 and outs providing BETTER field position...combined with weapons more seasoned/better/healthier. I fully expect TOP and Red Zone efficiency (to name just 2) to flip flop dramatically

The New England Patriots offensive line is not essentially brand new. It would not surprise me if the offensive line starters are the following:

Solder - Kline - Wendell - Connolly - Vollmer

At worst, Cannon will be the backup swing tackle. The seventh offensive lineman dressed should be an interesting decision.
I agree.

BTW, why would the last position be interesting? I expect Devey at the 7th OL spot. he can comfortably backup either guard spot, and has also backed up at both OT positions, although I wouldn't want to see him at LT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes