PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Most overated/underated players of this decade (going into 2008 season)

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow what is all the hate for Carson Palmer..?? He has had a very good carrer, espically after that hit in the playoff game when he was cheap shoted.. I would not put Carson Palmer in the overated category..

My Overated- Tony Romo- Win a playoff game
MIchael Strahan- More mouth than game
Mike Vick- Was never even close to a QB
I do agree with someone who says John Lynch..
Terell Owens- Gets more hype than deserved..he is good, but gets too too much hype.

Underated- Reggie Wayne- I think got overshadowed alot by Marvin Harrison

Fred Taylor- Great RB , lost in Jax

Matt Hassleback- Very good QB, as you could see is more imp than Alexander.

Carson Palmer has had the fortune of having not only 1,not 2 but 3 of the best receivers in the game around him - There is NO reason Carson could not put up numbers like Brady did last year if he is so good -

You got Chad Johnson on one side,TJ on the other and Chris Henry (when he was not in jail) on the offense as well.

Thier defense is truly lousy but does not make up the fact that I have not seen 30-40 point games from the Bengals too often and thier OL is pretty decent by the way.

Overrated? Tom Brady.

Kidding.

I agree about a lot of the QB's mentioned, but they're easy targets. RB's are often at the mercy of the O-Line.

I think Marvin Harrison is over-rated. Hate me if you must.

I think Laurence Maroney is under-rated. Something tells me this boy has it in him to join the ranks of the elites.

If you overate Marvin Harrison then you might as well overate Peyton Manning

Didn't these two break a record for most TDs between QB and WR in a career?

Harrison WAS a wonderful receiver and is hall of fame bound for sure just like Peyton who is also one of the best players the game has ever seen - Harrison is just past his prime and ready for retirement while I think Peyton still has a few solid years ahead of him as long as Polian continues his masterful job at drafting productive offensive talent around him.

I think Harrison MADE Peyton Manning what he is today and vice versa thats why they were so unstoppable in thier prime

It's hard to say Carson Palmer is overrated. In '05 he had a great season, led the league in TD passes with 32 (to just 12 INTs), had 3800 yards, a QB rating over 100, division title, then bam! messed up knee. 2006 comes around and he plays all 16 games, 4000 yards, 28 TDs, 13 INTs, 93.6 rating, doing all of this nine months after ripping his knee to shreds, on a team with a terrible defense and terrible coaching. Last season was bad (20 INTs!) but between the sheer number of passes he was attempting with no running game and no defense, I don't think that's enough to drop him from the elite ranks of quarterbacks just yet.

I'd stay on the same team and say that Housh is overrated. Chad Johnson is, has been, and always will be the best receiver on the Bengals, making it infinitely easier for T.J., who catches a lot of balls, but is more of a high volume possession receiver. He led the league last season in catches but, again, it was because he also had more targets than anyone else and only averaged 10.2 yards per. An outside receiver who averages 10 yards per catch is nothing special (Caldwell averaged 12.4 in '06, for comparison's sake). He's a good player but I think many people overvalue him.

overrated -
Shockey
Ocho Cinco
Tomlinson
Peppers

Underrated -
Welker
Troy Brown
Jacobs (the Giants RB)

The entire 2007 New England Patriots Team.

overrated -
Shockey
Ocho Cinco
Tomlinson
Peppers

Underrated -
Welker
Troy Brown
Jacobs (the Giants RB)

I love these kind of posts. LT and Johnson are overrated? Aaahahaha!!!!!!!

Overrated - Every Good player in the NFL.

Underrated - The patriots entire roster.

If you overate Marvin Harrison then you might as well overate Peyton Manning

Didn't these two break a record for most TDs between QB and WR in a career?

Harrison WAS a wonderful receiver and is hall of fame bound for sure just like Peyton who is also one of the best players the game has ever seen - Harrison is just past his prime and ready for retirement while I think Peyton still has a few solid years ahead of him as long as Polian continues his masterful job at drafting productive offensive talent around him.

I think Harrison MADE Peyton Manning what he is today and vice versa thats why they were so unstoppable in thier prime

You're on the spot here IMO. Marvin is not overrated by a long shot, but he's not young anymore, and after last seasons injury it might go down hill with him. Of course I hope he'll be back strong, but I have to be realistic too.

Overrated IMO: Vince Young. I think the Titans wins their games in spite of him more than because of him

Underrated: well, I'll be back

I find it hard to think that anyone who has seen him play can make a good case for Marvin Harrison being overrated... everyone is entitled to their opinions, of course, but this guy has been a force for years at the position. So steady, and so smooth, with the occasional electric catch. Some will laugh, but he reminds me a bit of Raymond Berry, although he possesses greater speed and strength than Berry (obviously).

For my money, the concept of "overrated" should describe a player who possesses undeniable skills and talent, yet whose skills do not seem to translate meaningfully into wins. One could easily argue that Vick was such a player--a dynamic, even electrifying player who was clearly a mediocre quarterback. His teams often did win more than lose, and he was fun to watch, but his was a talent that seemed unnecessary to winning football games. In his heyday, Barry Sanders was perhaps the classic example of a player whose name ignited furious arguments--a freakish, nearly godlike back whose teams never really came close to winning anything meaningful. Those in favor of Sanders pointed out his awesome statistics and the weakness of so much of the rest of the team; those against argued that his style of running, which often led to negative yardage, it was said, was unproductive. And so on...

overated: I don't think i'm ready to call Tony Romo overated yet, cause he did play pretty good in most of the regular season games,I think he's over hyped, though. I'm willing to give him a season or two. I think when he's good he's pretty good, but when he sucks he suck big time.
The player I think is very overated is Ben Roethlisberger, he always got a great running game with him and pretty good WRs. He's a good game manager, but i don't think he ever has to carry his team. Lots experts makes it sound like he's some kind of superstar.

underated : I will go with Brian Westbrook.

Overated, Mike Vick.

Underated, DERRICK BROOKS or Ronde Barber. Those two players are both very good players who get ZERO credit.

If you overate Marvin Harrison then you might as well overate Peyton Manning.
-snip-
I think Harrison MADE Peyton Manning what he is today and vice versa thats why they were so unstoppable in thier prime.

Ok, well, call it a hunch, then. But look at our one year of Brady to Moss and in the record books already. Moss returned to hype town, but Brady drove him there.

Brady's history says to me (and I admit, I'm learning the past, I wasn't there for it) a quality receiver with a crap QB is useless.

A mediocre receiver with a great QB can be excellent.

Or maybe it's one in the morning and I'm rambling.

Is is August yet?

Interesting reads, I went with Palmer over rated and Steven Jackson (RB Rams) as under rated. I see a couple anti-Big Ben posts, which I can accept cause he's still young and only won 1 title so far as a starting QB, when he gets to 4 like Bradshaw then he should get respect.

However, the post about Bettis being over rated? That is kind of reaching. He had a 3.9 YPC average, that's not low, that's pretty darn good actually.13,662 career yards, 6 pro bowls and 91 touchdowns. I wouldn't say he's over rated. He wasn't a Jim Brown or an Eric ****erson, or Walter Payton, and never was billed as such.

As for the Westbrook under rated comments, I agree 100%. If he wasn't on the Eagles McNabb wouldn't be a footnote in the history of the Eagles franchise. He saves that team game in and game out. Also, Curtis Martin (PITT Grad) I'm a huge fan of, and he never did get enough love. And I'll never forgive Bill Parcells in the SB against the Packers for REFUSING! To hand the ball off to Curtis. It was like Bill lost that game on purpose, he just simply refused to give the ball to his best offensive weapon. God I was mad at that. 11 effing carries. I call that Bad Coaching.

Last edited:
I love these kind of posts. LT and Johnson are overrated? Aaahahaha!!!!!!!

Overrated - Every Good player in the NFL.

Underrated - The patriots entire roster.
Johnson is a good WR but is not good as he thinks he is, which makes him a problem. He calls attention to himself ("Ocho Cinco, Hall of Fame 2018 or whatever") - he does it in a humorous way but I suspect his teammates are not overly thrilled with him. So is he good? Yes. Is he worth the trouble? I doubt it - there are a lot of good receivers.

LT - no running back is worth the adulation the media heaps on this guy. And he apparently buys it. 'Nuff said. BTW, there was a guy named Alexander in Seattle a couple of years ago, a league MVP, who the media portrayed the same way as they are now portraying Tomlinson. Where is he now? Unsigned.

Johnson is a good WR but is not good as he thinks he is, which makes him a problem. He calls attention to himself ("Ocho Cinco, Hall of Fame 2018 or whatever") - he does it in a humorous way but I suspect his teammates are not overly thrilled with him. So is he good? Yes. Is he worth the trouble? I doubt it - there are a lot of good receivers.

LT - no running back is worth the adulation the media heaps on this guy. And he apparently buys it. 'Nuff said. BTW, there was a guy named Alexander in Seattle a couple of years ago, a league MVP, who the media portrayed the same way as they are now portraying Tomlinson. Where is he now? Unsigned.

johnson is indeed an attention seeker and their are load of better recievers than him (e.g moss, TO, Harrison, stallworth,Hines ward:eek:)

LT at the moment is probably one of the best players in the NFL and is single handedly carrying the chargers, but that could all change if all the attention gets to him.

johnson is indeed an attention seeker and their are load of better recievers than him (e.g moss, TO, Harrison, stallworth,Hines ward:eek:)

LT at the moment is probably one of the best players in the NFL and is single handedly carrying the chargers, but that could all change if all the attention gets to him.

Heck,Reggie Wayne is a much better reciever than Chad Johnson IMO - Yes Chad is overated and Wayne would be underated IMO

It's amazing to see the players listed as overrated. Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer? I'd love to have access to the special mushrooms some of you people are eating.

It's amazing to see the players listed as overrated. Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer? I'd love to have access to the special mushrooms some of you people are eating.

Its expectations vs results. Carson was supposed to come into the league and be "the next 'insert great qb name here" and take his team to the promised land. He's made the playoffs one time as a QB (which yes you can blame his "team" for that but then you'd have to take away credit from other greats because they were on great teams) so for arguements sake, Palmer hasn't lived up to the hype.

And Chad, well, if he wasn't acting like a fool everytime he found the endzone would you really even pay attention to his play making? The guy is good, be he's definitely over rated per his own standards of suggested greatness. He's been on a team with a Legit 2nd threat and even 3rd threat in the receiving corp. I'd love to see him on a team alone, as "the guy" and then see how great he really is drawing all the double teams all day long.

Its expectations vs results. Carson was supposed to come into the league and be "the next 'insert great qb name here" and take his team to the promised land. He's made the playoffs one time as a QB (which yes you can blame his "team" for that but then you'd have to take away credit from other greats because they were on great teams) so for arguements sake, Palmer hasn't lived up to the hype.

And Chad, well, if he wasn't acting like a fool everytime he found the endzone would you really even pay attention to his play making? The guy is good, be he's definitely over rated per his own standards of suggested greatness. He's been on a team with a Legit 2nd threat and even 3rd threat in the receiving corp. I'd love to see him on a team alone, as "the guy" and then see how great he really is drawing all the double teams all day long.

Carson Palmer is probably the 3rd best quarterback in the NFL even with that knee of his (although I think the gap between Palmer and Brady/Manning is a large one). Chad Johnson is probably the 3rd best wide receiver in the NFL, behind Moss and Owens, even with what I felt was a slight dip in his game last season.

overated: I don't think i'm ready to call Tony Romo overated yet, cause he did play pretty good in most of the regular season games,I think he's over hyped, though. I'm willing to give him a season or two. I think when he's good he's pretty good, but when he sucks he suck big time.
The player I think is very overated is Ben Roethlisberger, he always got a great running game with him and pretty good WRs. He's a good game manager, but i don't think he ever has to carry his team. Lots experts makes it sound like he's some kind of superstar.

underated : I will go with Brian Westbrook.

Romo is probably ONE top flight WR away from joining the best QBs in the NFL - Terry Glenn is old and hurt and T.O. is sometimes complacent in games

I admitted he was good, just not as good as the god the media portrays him to be.

"Singlehandedly carrrying the Chargers"? Are you serious? How many other Pro Bowlers do they have? Have you ever heard of guys named Merriman, Gates, etc.? They had NINE :eek: Pro Bowlers last year, and that doesn't even include Philip Rivers, who made the Pro Bowl in 2007.

In fact, you made my argument. Many people both within and outside the media think Mr. Classy single-handedly carries the Chargers, when the fact is that it is just not at all the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back