PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Montana on whether he suspects the Pats: "They always say if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peeped this, and Montana seemed to be alluding to the fact that the great teams are always looking to "push the envelope", even his own 49ers teams in the 1980's... Maybe it's just me, but it came across like he actually considers it a positive thing...
I took it the same way - and wanted to get pissed at him and accuse him of being a jealous old coot. But the interview left the impression that he feels everyone does it - and has always done it.

I took it the same way - and wanted to get pissed at him and accuse him of being a jealous old coot. But the interview left the impression that he feels everyone does it - and has always done it.

I respect Joe dearly, but if what he says is true - and the 49ers did try to get away with doing "illegal" things - then who is he to even suggest that my team is filled with cheaters? Why even bother fueling that silly narrative, and risk hurting my team's reputation even further?

I agree that his words should be taken in their right context ("they cheated, but all teams do it too, especially the great ones!") but I'd respect him even more if he took the high road and said, "Many teams try their best to win - and some teams push the envelop more so than others. My team is one example. But to answer your question, 'Do I suspect the Patriots of cheating?' I'm in no position to say whether they did or not. But is it 'wrong for me to question what they've done?' .... Absolutely. That would certainly make me a hypocrite."

Last edited:
This is all Goodell's and Kraft's fault.
Goodell should've said "the camera was not placed in the proper position as my non-rule memo stated what the proper positions are, and as a result we are fining the Patriots 100k".

Kraft should've defended himself "This was not cheating or spying, The camera has been in plain view for years. We are sorry we did not interpret the new memo in the manner the NFL wanted us to. In the future we will keep the camera's in the proper position."

End of story, no huge 'spygate' headlines take place. This all happened cause Goodell put down a huge punishment and Kraft silenced Belichick from responding.

Great to see the top 3 threads on the forum about "cheating" when the team is 4-0 and getting pumped up to go back on the road for a big game.

Great to see the top 3 threads on the forum about "cheating" when the team is 4-0 and getting pumped up to go back on the road for a big game.

Your absolutely right. But it shows the kind of sentiment we've had to put up with from other fanbases and multiple outlets in the media.

Montana's comments are ambivalent at best, and at worse, re-affirm those lingering suspicions that are inveighed against the team ('If Montana's admits to pushing the envelop, then why can't the Patriots and their fans do the same?')

Your absolutely right. But it shows the kind of sentiment we've had to put up with from other fanbases and multiple outlets in the media.

Montana's comments are ambivalent at best, and at worse, re-affirm those lingering suspicions that are inveighed against the team ('If Montana's admits to pushing the envelop, then why can't the Patriots and their fans do the same?')

Personally, I'm just grateful that they are playing well, which has shut people up about deflated balls.

I couldn't possibly care less what Joe Montana or Jerry Rice have done in the past, or what they feel is an acceptable line to draw in the sand when it comes to pushing the rule book.

We've talked about this stuff all offseason, and now that things have quieted down, it's almost like we're bringing this stuff up on our own. No offense to whomever started these threads or participated in the discussions.

I dont take issue with anything he said. The quote in the hread title implies that everyone pushes the envelope which has always been lost in every pats controversey. How much of the allegations are true, im not going to pretend i know one way or another but we have been caught cold at least once and id wager its not the only time weve bended a rule. But the fact that people have this **** dont stink mentality that their team would never do such is one of the biggest myths that need exposed and at least joe is coming clean with that, which already puts him ahead of a ton of players who decided to comment.

This is all Goodell's and Kraft's fault.
Goodell should've said "the camera was not placed in the proper position as my non-rule memo stated what the proper positions are, and as a result we are fining the Patriots 100k".

Kraft should've defended himself "This was not cheating or spying, The camera has been in plain view for years. We are sorry we did not interpret the new memo in the manner the NFL wanted us to. In the future we will keep the camera's in the proper position."

End of story, no huge 'spygate' headlines take place. This all happened cause Goodell put down a huge punishment and Kraft silenced Belichick from responding.

Kraft didn't just silence Belichick after he laid down and died for Goodell. He called Belichick a "schmuck."

I dont take issue with anything he said. The quote in the hread title implies that everyone pushes the envelope which has always been lost in every pats controversey. How much of the allegations are true, im not going to pretend i know one way or another but we have been caught cold at least once and id wager its not the only time weve bended a rule. But the fact that people have this **** dont stink mentality that their team would never do such is one of the biggest myths that need exposed and at least joe is coming clean with that, which already puts him ahead of a ton of players who decided to comment.

I applaud you for trying not to overreact to his comments. But the prevailing narrative for most is to pre-judge the Patriots as "cheaters," which is why I wish Montana could've chosen his words more carefully. He's one of the most widely-known icons in Sports, so his words have a lot of cache. After all, he's featured in Papa John's ads, so he's not your everyday "Average Joe"! ;)

@Deus Irae I agree, his comments are mild compared to some of the stuff that's put out there. But on the surface, it feels like he's endorsing the suspicions against the Pats. And I'm not angry about that... but hearing this come from someone of Joe Montana's stature makes me feel annoyed.

You can't buy into the anti-Patriot "cheating" narrative and downplay it at the same time. Once you buy into it, you only strengthen it and give it validation.

Last edited:
The great thing about football....it is a team game. In BB or Hockey you can go through the D, not going to happen in football.
Montana is not as good if some of those balls are dropped, and really its the same for every qb, even the great TFB. Football is a team game.
I DO believe however that Montana is jealous, very jealous of Brady. It is hard for a football player and competitor to hang it up and Montana wants to be still out there.
A lot of posters can interpret Montana's comments as sour grapes, which like I said I think it is to some extent. I will give Montana some credit here though cause he is essentially saying the Patriots are getting smeared for something EVERY TEAM does. That in and of itself is unjust.

In the end, we are 2015 champs and are on a real solid 5-0 run with a whole lot of fuel to keep this team fired up for the entire year.

That is a good thing is it not?

Joe Montana is a f*cking piece of **** on NFLHQ on NFL* Network. He's saying how some guys say they stop fumbling when they come to New England but he thinks it's a stupid rule. Trying to not look like a hater, you freaking cheat? Why don't you name people who said they stopped fumbling when coming to New England?

Even if it is true, do you realize maybe Brady works his ball to a better grip level than others which is legal?

Go f*ck yourself Joe Montana you stupid piece of **** cheater.

Joe Montana adds himself to the small penis club.

First it was the division who did everything they could to smear and discredit Brady and the Patriots. They were the loudest screamers about the tuck rule, Brady being "overrated", etc. etc. The Dolphins fans would pump their chest about their storied history with one of the best overall win percentages ever, with their constant "football began before 2001" chorus. They must have been embarrassed that their penises weren't big enough because the level of insecurity and hate was so irrational and overboard.

Then it was the conference teams *****ing and moaning, with the Colts leading the charge, and their rabid fans intent on proving Brady is inferior to Manning, with the defense carrying him. They saw Brady as a threat to their golden boy's standing as the chosen one, and didn't sit well with them. "Mirror, mirror on the wall," they said, "why is my penis so small?"

Then in 2007 if was the 1972 Dolphins acting like a bunch of insanely jealous children. They played one of the weakest schedules in NFL history, and yet they acted high and mighty, with Don Shula, perhaps the biggest ***** of all-time taking the low road. You would think a bunch of grown men who have lived off an overrated accomplishment 35 years ago would at least not worry so much about their tiny penises being ridiculed, so it's best to yell "Bellicheat" as a senile old man did.

After the usual suspects with Indy, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore all talking about taints and imagined asterisks, guys like Dungy, Elway, Harbaugh, Tomlin, (and these guys all had their chances to make their legacies, in spite of the Patriots) since they realizes they are a footnote in history, then it was time for the other league dynasties to reveal their small penises for the world to see.

Troy Aikman was intent on showing the world his 1" penis during the fake scandal known as Deflategate. John Madden also pulled down his pants to reveal a tiny endowment. Then with the Patriots clearly having the "greatest dynasty" 49ers in the crosshairs, a litany of tiny penised men who formerly wore red and gold have joined together in some kind of embarrassing nude dance for insecure men with very small penises. It's almost like Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, and Charles Hayley want you to believe that since they are all united, you could add up their penis lengths and almost get to 5".

Last edited:
guys take it easy on montana. he basically came out and said the pats cheat and so does everyone else (who wants to win). he admitted that the niners cheated - so now we can throw that fact into anyone's face who questions our integrity. i'm hapoy he spoke up.

Cripes, half his team was covered in stickum and the other half in Teflon. These guys are so flipping stupid that they ADMIT to cheating so they can talk about the Patriots armed with nothing more than an accusation that footballs obey the laws of physics and a clown case laughed out of court.

What's next, saying you can prove you didn't cheat on your wife because you were too busy committing murder. What a dumbshit.

Montana has at least a general idea of how many skeletons are buried in the '80s Niners' closet. Unlike, say, Jerry Rice, he at least has the baseline intelligence to be consistent and not too incendiary in his accusations. Anything bad he says about the Pats might not hold up too well if/when scrutiny is applied to his own organization.

My problem with this is beyond the football field and stats, etc..it's more in the human side of things.

Tom Brady is from San Mateo, in the bay area, grew up a 49ers fan in his childhood, there are pictures of him in Candlestick and pictures with Montana's jersey. We can reasonably assume he had Montana as an idol.

Nobody likes having their records surpassed, but in a situation like this (and I'm pretty sure they have talked before, Montana knows all this) I would be more than OK with a kid that grew up having me as a reference, surpassing me, it's more like a "you did it man" thing, it's like a movie script. How can he act like this, not standing by someone who supported him in his time. Montana is a prick. **** all this everybody does talking. **** him and **** that cheater Jerry Rice too.

Last edited:
My problem with this is beyond the football field and stats, etc..it's more in the human side of things.

Tom Brady is from San Mateo, in the bay area, grew up a 49ers fan in his childhood, there are pictures of him in Candlestick and pictures with Montana's jersey. We can reasonably assume he had Montana as an idol.

Nobody likes having their records surpassed, but in a situation like this (and I'm pretty sure they have talked before, Montana knows all this) I would be more than OK with a kid that grew up having me as a reference, surpassing me, it's more like a "you did man" thing, it's like a movie script. How can he act like this, not standing by someone who supported him in his time. Montana is a prick. **** all this everybody does talking. **** him and **** that cheater Jerry Rice too.
That's how I feel about everyone now pretty much. If you're not NE, fk you and the pony you rode in on - I hate you. :D

The Mort misinformation will linger forever, because for most the implications just do not sink in.

Montana is right that a quarterback can tell when he picks up a football if it’s underinflated by 2 psi,
WHICH IS WHAT MORT FALSELY CLAIMED,

but…

No quarterback on Earth can tell when he picks up a football if it’s underinflated in the range of 0.0-0.2 psi, which was REALITY in the AFCCG.

It’s a VERY important distinction that ought to be obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes