PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

mobile quarterbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Tittle also played 17 seasons and that pic came from his final season in 1964. Helmet technology was still developing. The picture shows lacerations on his face. We know nothing of the state of his knees and other joints. Sorry, Joker, your picture inadvertently proved my point. If Tittle was a pocket passer, he had a 17 year career. Hardly the shortened careers of many 'scramblers'.

Even worse for your argument (hope I'm not misconstruing your point)...the previous year, he was NFL MVP.

You're right of course...I was a Giants fan back then when the two leagues were still separate...Tittle would have played 20 years except for being murdered that season, especially that particular game.Gruesome.

it's not so much mobile as in running for yards, but escapability, the ability to extend the play by rolling out...

Agreed. This is where Brady is just average. He doesn't have speed to outrun anyone. Brady is extremely calculating, and works within his limitations to limit turnovers. If a play breaks down, he knows it's safer to cover up, take the sack, and get them on the ~next~ play.

Theres a difference between mobile quarterbacks ie. Michael Vick, Vince Young, Tebow etc. who are expected to run if things don't look good. And guys like Rodgers and Big Ben who are masters of extending the play until coverage breaks down. Obviously I'll take a Brady, Manning, or Brees over all of them but Rodgers seems to have it all and Big Ben's resume speaks for itself.

I think it would be nice to define mobility, everyone sees it a different way.

Much like marksmen hits a target, but they all have different technics in aiming, breathing, griping, and shooting.
To me all QB's are marksmen, they all have different guns for arms, but the target is the same. Mobility is a nice ability have, but not a key element of what their job is.

Blocking schemes with OL are suppose to give a QB mobility. Rodgers has athletic mobility, but its because he has to. GB has had 2 OL coaches during Rodgers time and their OL has alway been really bad. So I'm sure its a coaching , not a talent issue. GB's OL seems to crumble under complicated DL schemes.

I use a broad brush when painting what mobility is to the quarter back position, and that is the athletic ability, awareness, foresight, and mental quickness of a quarterback to accurately deliver the ball to the best target under pressure.

Its not the QB's job to run, and I think its a mark against them in my book, because it means they couldn't find a target or deliver a difficult pass. Dumping it off to the RB's makes way more sense, they are designed to run, and it won't end your season if they get knocked out. Eeerr well may if in Chicago.

If I were Rodgers or Vicks QB coach, I would ask that the OL coach be fired and fine both QB's if they came within 5 yards of a defensive player while running.
Ive seen both players be very lucky running for TD's with a defensive player barely a yard away. We have guys on our team, like Harper, that won't think twice about a fine, and lay them out for good.

So, to me mobility is a useless word unless it encompasses all of those attributes and produces high success or completion %. I don't care if they skip, summersault, dodge, run, teleport, or moon walk. Hmmm...ok .. it does bother me if they moon walk.

Yes, one mark of a great quarterback is how he can perform under pressure, with the walls closing in around him, but its not #1-5 on my list. Accuracy, work ethic, etc etc.. are before that.
That said....

Brees = pressured 127/ dropped back 450 times = 67.3% completions
Rogers = pressured 89/ dropped back 348 times = 66% completions
Brady = pressured ?/ dropped back ? times = 61% completions

I don't have all the #'s for Brady, only his % of completions, and I remember him leading this pressure category last year, but if someone wants to find out that would be cool. These #'s are Pre- Vikings,Broncos,KC games.

Last edited:
Another one in the Ben Roethlisberger/Tim Tebow mold is Donovan Mcnabb. There was a time when he was a pretty good quarterback. Sort of sad to see him today.

Last edited:
I think it would be nice to define mobility, everyone sees it a different way.

Much like marksmen hits a target, but they all have different technics in aiming, breathing, griping, and shooting.
To me all QB's are marksmen, they all have different guns for arms, but the target is the same. Mobility is a nice ability have, but not a key element of what their job is.

Blocking schemes with OL are suppose to give a QB mobility. Rodgers has athletic mobility, but its because he has to. GB has had 2 OL coaches during Rodgers time and their OL has alway been really bad. So I'm sure its a coaching , not a talent issue. GB's OL seems to crumble under complicated DL schemes.

I use a broad brush when painting what mobility is to the quarter back position, and that is the athletic ability, awareness, foresight, and mental quickness of a quarterback to accurately deliver the ball to the best target under pressure.

Its not the QB's job to run, and I think its a mark against them in my book, because it means they couldn't find a target or deliver a difficult pass. Dumping it off to the RB's makes way more sense, they are designed to run, and it won't end your season if they get knocked out. Eeerr well may if in Chicago.

If I were Rodgers or Vicks QB coach, I would ask that the OL coach be fired and fine both QB's if they came within 5 yards of a defensive player while running.
Ive seen both players be very lucky running for TD's with a defensive player barely a yard away. We have guys on our team, like Harper, that won't think twice about a fine, and lay them out for good.

So, to me mobility is a useless word unless it encompasses all of those attributes and produces high success or completion %. I don't care if they skip, summersault, dodge, run, teleport, or moon walk. Hmmm...ok .. it does bother me if they moon walk.

Yes, one mark of a great quarterback is how he can perform under pressure, with the walls closing in around him, but its not #1-5 on my list. Accuracy, work ethic, etc etc.. are before that.
That said....

Brees = pressured 127/ dropped back 450 times = 67.3% completions
Rogers = pressured 89/ dropped back 348 times = 66% completions
Brady = pressured ?/ dropped back ? times = 61% completions

I don't have all the #'s for Brady, only his % of completions, and I remember him leading this pressure category last year, but if someone wants to find out that would be cool. These #'s are Pre- Vikings,Broncos,KC games.

Good points. All three have been impressive in the "under pressure" category, but i believe rodgers has been the msot impressive in that aspect. Sure brees has a better completion percentage under pressure, but his OL is also one of if not the best (i don't think brees has been hit/sacked too much this season). Rodgers has had an INSANE completion percent with the patchy OL he has had to work with and the amount of hits he has gotten.

Brady should be better, and will be.

Regarding mobile quarterbacks, i agree that the best mobility is when a quarterback can move in/around the pocket... and OUTSIDE the pocket to evade pressure and buy more time for the wr's / t.e.s to get open.

That to me is the ideal mobility package for a quarterback. Something like what vick has IMO is not needed on a consistent basis. However, having that ability in your pockets is a great thing to have... but should be not used everytime you cannot find an open man (because your career will definitely be shortened).

Big ben and rodgers epitomize this mobility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3