PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MNF Gang (Gruden, Jaworski) predict the AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO you realy can't be mad at them for saying that there realy has been no upgrade at any position from last year.

QB Brady, is Brady, we know what we get from him 4000 yards and 28 TD's
RB the same + one year older
WR maybe a upgrade if Tate, can be a bigger part in the passing game
TE right now it looks like a upgrade but they are rookies and it's preseason
OL weaker with out Mankins,
DL unless Myron Pryor, and Ron Brace, get rely good fast the DL is weaker then last year.
LB for the most part the same as last year.
DB again for the most part still the same

on paper they don't look great but that what i love about football the games are not won or lost on paper and IMO the pats play with a lot more fire when they are the underdog so i like it

Alright, I'll try to pry these blue, red and white goggles of my eyes and attempt a semi-objective look at the positions.

QB: I don't buy the disconnect or gone Hollywood gossip. And if it was true - which again, I see no evidence that it is - isn't the general consensus that a player puts forth his greatest effort in a contract year? In my opinion the biggest factor is that Brady is back from an injury that typically players do not fully recover from for two years.
-> I see the Pats being at minimum the same at QB, and more likely improved.
RB: Three guys over 30 is not a good thing. On the other hand, as mentioned above having all these guys in a contract year could be beneficial - especially for Laurence Maroney. In addition I do not think either Taylor or Morris will miss as much time as they did last year.
While many around the nation see the position as being down from last year due to the age of Faulk, Taylor and Morris, I think the group could just as easily be improved. There's an excellent chance that Taylor could contribute far more than he did last year, and Maroney could have extra motivation. The most important factor is probably Faulk staying healthy.
-> Again I see the Pats at minimum being the same, and probably improved at this position.
WR: Moss is a year older, but he is also a year removed from the back injuries that plagued him last year. He seems very motivated and is playing for one last contract; at minimum I expect the same production from him. Welker has recovered from a devastating injury, but it is not realistic to expect the same from him. Opposite Moss the Pats have Tate and Edelman, who by default are a huge upgrade over Galloway and Aiken from last year.
-> Pats are slightly improved at WR.
TE: Watson made some great catches, but the was just as likely to drop a couple of easy passes. Baker had a good camp last year but seemed to disappear after that. Even though none of the Pats' three tight ends have any previous experience in the system, and the team is counting on two rookies to contribute, I still think the Pats are better off with this group in both the running game as well as the passing game.
-> Pats are improved at TE.
OL: Though Connolly has surpassed expectations, he is not at this point an equivalent or upgrade to Mankins. Vollmer is an upgrade over Kaczur, but Light, Koppen and Neal all being more experienced at this point is not necessarily a good thing. For the top backups I would take a 2009 Vollmer over a 2010 Mark Levoir at tackle; a 2009 Connolly and a 2010 Wendell is a wash.
-> The OL is a downgrade from last season.
DL: In the middle of the line there is still Wilfork, who should have the same production; from what we have heard so far he may add some in terms of leadership. Last year's starter were Ty Warren and Jarvis Green; this year it looks like it will be Gerard Warren and Mike Wright. The loss of Green does not hurt; the loss of Ty Warren does. Though the starters may not be as good, the backups are probably an improvement; with a year of experience Myron Pryor and Ron Brace should be better.
-> The DL is a downgrade from last year.
OLB: The most talked about position this off season. Though some don't expect as much from TBC, I don't see a reason for him to take much of a step either backward or forward. Burgess is tough to predict since we've seen so little of him. Is his mind elsewhere and not motivated? Has he caught on to learning a new system and ready to take the next step? Cunningham has been injured but has been seen on the sidelines, typically a sign he is ready to practice again.
Counting on a rookie may be risky business, but that may be the position the Pats are in this year. Ninkovich has another year in the system, but he rarely saw the field except for special teams; same goes for Pierre Woods. That leaves Marques Murrell, who has looked good in preseason but realistically is an unknown quality.
-> Even though the Pats did not get much from this group last year, there are still question marks. They may not have regressed, but right now I would not say the Pats have improved at this position either.
ILB: Mayo should be improved based on being recovered from his injury, and no longer playing out of position. Brandon Spikes is an improvement over Gary Guyton even though he is a rookie. For depth Guyton and Tyrone Mckenzie are an improvement over Eric Alexander and Junior Seau.
-> Pats are improved at ILB.
S: Pat Chung should be much improved with a year to learn both the Pats system as well as life in the NFL. With Chung on the field more often, Brandon Meriweather get to play more of a playmaker, free safety type of a role, which should make him more productive as well. James Sanders is still a big leader in the secondary even if Chung does take away some of his playing time. And with Chung playing more, Brandon McGowan can be used more effectively, and not wear out down the stretch.
-> Pats are improved at S.
CB: Leigh Bodden should be better now that he has a year in the Pats' system. With a year in the NFL Darius Butler should be improved as well. Devin McCourty should be an improvement over Jonathan Wilhite; and if for some reason he is not, Wilhite (or Wheatley) should be at least as good if not better than Wilhite was last year. Shawn Springs is gone but I don't see that as a loss; he rarely got on the field last year and didn't do a whole lot when he did.
-> Pats are improved at CB.
ST: Gostkowski and Ingram remain the same. Anything has to be an improvement over Chris Hanson at punter. Presumably losing Welker as the team's punt returner hurts, but the kick return team should give the Pats much better field position with the addition of Brandon Tate. Though some special teamers may not be back (e.g., Eric Alexander), the influx of so many first and second year players should improve coverage.
-> Pats are improved on S/T.

Overall I have a lot more improved or same marks than same or regressed. However, I do think that games are still won and lost in the trenches. The fact that the Pats may have taken a step back on both lines is troubling - even more bothersome than the OLB position. When I look at the team right now, I don't see them as either better or worse than last year, but probably about the same.

We all know where the weakness is....
losing Crable
Ty Warren
Jarvis Green
Adalius
Seymour
Vrabel,Seau
I think we have potential and I'm hoping we can pull it together on BOTH offensive and defensive lines because if we can't pull it together...these media goofballs may be correct.

You can only loose so much depth on the Dline and pass rush.

I love Mayo, Spikes and McGowan

You have to compare this season to last season and not a mythical 2003 or 2007.

They didn't lose any of those players between this year and last year (which was a 10-6 year), except Adalius Thomas.

Crable was never here last year; Ty Warren was dinged and not himself last year; Jarvis Green was dinged and wholly ineffective last season; Seymour departed the team last preseason; and so did Vrabel. Father Time caught up to Seau, a long time ago. He is/was inspirational, nothing more.

If anything, they have had a full season and training camp to adjust to the Seymour and Vrabel (and Brusci and Harrison) depatures and steps were taken in FA and the draft to obtain players that were not available last season, to replace them.

I agree the loss of Mankins is a genuine decline; but a healthy Neal is just as valuable a gain, as is the emergence of Volmer over Kaczur.

Until this team comes up with a pass rush scheme.. Ten wins is the max with this team.. Im hoping for 12, but 10 a realistic number...

Brady is 100%, he has the best weapons he has ever had.
If that holds, the Patriots would win 12 games with the worst defense in the NFL.
Show me a team that has had that quality of QB playing at that level, with those kind of weapons that struggled to 10 wins. There aren't any.
Brady is better than Manning, is now 100% healthy with more weapons. How in the world anyone thinks that translates to 10-6, 9-7, 8-8 is beyond comprehension to me.
Oh yeah, theres that Belichick guy too.

This. 10chars

Re: MNF Gang (Gruden,Jaworski) predict the AFC East

No, he however missed the part where NY and Miami have glaring issues on OL are trying to find some young QB's and it takes a while to determine if they can ever consistently assimilate into an offense...

And of course they both had some issues and losses on D surface this off season, and appear to have some glaring questions about their ability to mount any offense in pre season, but why get into that...

I watched the whole clip and didn't detect any enthusiasm for the Jets. It was more like they were giving them their due for the players ("weapons?") they've added and almost setting them up to tear them down if/when they fail. Gruden and Jaworski make their living off of "buzz" and the Jets have, by far, created the most buzz this offseason, drowning out even Lord Favregaard.

I thought Gruden's assessment of the Pats was pretty reasonable; no way a Brady/Belichick team wins fewer than 10 games, but they're going to have to integrate a lot of new pieces successfully. I don't think that's that far off the truth.

They basically just covered their butts on the Dolphins; "if" this or that happens they "could" have a good year. Poor Bills.

All in all, I'm happy when the Pats come into the season underrated and a bit off the main radar screens.

A rookie QB on the worst team in football just carved them up for 5 TDs. Last year quality offenses carved them up. The D line is Wilfork and JAGs. Warren will not be able to handle starter minutes so the first line of defense is thin. TBC is the only hope on pass rush, and I like his preseason effort so far, but that's it. I'm a little worried about Spikes in coverage. I saw him a step behind multiple times last week. And of course the 10 yard cushion that BB loves. So back to these commentators opinions, why would you expect them to think this team is elite.

A rookie QB on the worst team in football just carved them up for 5 TDs. Last year quality offenses carved them up. The D line is Wilfork and JAGs. Warren will not be able to handle starter minutes so the first line of defense is thin. TBC is the only hope on pass rush, and I like his preseason effort so far, but that's it. I'm a little worried about Spikes in coverage. I saw him a step behind multiple times last week. And of course the 10 yard cushion that BB loves. So back to these commentators opinions, why would you expect them to think this team is elite.

Because contrary to popular opinion they've lost games like this by more than a point even in regular season in the past and gone on to top 4 or top 2 or top of the world finishes... And it's not like the JETS or Phins are exactly living up to their own pre-pre season hype...or both of those teams don't have LOS issues plaguing them (not to mention secondary concerns...). The big difference between us and them would be Brady, Belichick and depth of skill players on offense...

I'm still flabbergasted by the media's love affection with the Jets. I can see them potentially losing seven to eight games. Their offense is inconsistent and Sanchez will throw more interceptions than touchdowns. Colin Cowherd said it best he is a C- quarterback with the expectations of an A.

Pats have one of the if not THE toughest schedule in the league this season. 9-7 would be a solid season against those opponents.

Sanchez has played better than last pre-season. He will continue to improve. Expect a similar 8-10 wins from the Jets.

Miami made the biggest off-season move in the division. They now have the best WR in the game. He cannot be covered. Expect the Phins to take a step forward 10-12 wins. They win the division and make it to the AFCGC.

Book it!

We all know where the weakness is....
losing Crable
Ty Warren
Jarvis Green
Adalius
Seymour
Vrabel,Seau
I think we have potential and I'm hoping we can pull it together on BOTH offensive and defensive lines because if we can't pull it together...these media goofballs may be correct.

You can only loose so much depth on the Dline and pass rush.

I love Mayo, Spikes and McGowan

Now add our #1 cover guy( Leigh Bodden) to IR.
It would be horrible to see the Jets finish the season better than us.

Until this team comes up with a pass rush scheme.. Ten wins is the max with this team.. Im hoping for 12, but 10 a realistic number...
FWIW I think the Patriots will go 10-6 and win the AFC East. I'm not sure a higher win ratio is possible given the injuries the side has endured and some holes in the team that need to be addressed over time.

As for people floating around the strength of schedule debate. That's a crock. Last year's records count for naught this year.

Last edited:
I remember back in 06 hearing about how the Pats were on the decline and there was real trouble in New England. They were not even going to make the playoffs. They were one minute from the Super Bowl.....

It would be horrible to see the Jets finish the season better than us.

True. But it would be worse for their fans NOT to finish better than the Pats after all the hits NE has taken + all the NJY hype. The Jets' motto has to be "if not now, when."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3