PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Tomlin, Steelers looking at a fine, and could lose a draft pick

A $500K fine and the loss of a 1st round draft pick. Nothing less should be acceptable. Belichick misplaced a frikkin' camera (a violation iof the NFL Operations Manual and NOT the game rules) and that's the fine he and the Patriots got.

Tomlin blatantly attempted to trip an opposing player during a game and interfered with that game. It was definitely cheating, and should rate the same level, or greater punishment as that meted out to New England and Coach Belichick for an operations manual infraction, which had absolutely no bearing on the game that day.

Goooooooooood. Let the draft picks flow from your possession.

The irony is in the fact that he is on the NFL's Competition Committee. That's why they should lose the draft pick.

I wont cry if the punishment includes a lost draft pick because of what has happened in the past, but I don't think any of that is fair at all.

The Jets tripping incident cost them $100,000 and the coach resigned. I think the same sort of thing should happen here. A player with no stats does this, and he's cut. Tomlin should be looked at the same way.

Well I finally looked at the play Tomlin was involved with and I have to say that it was the saddest, most blatant display of cheating I have ever seen by an NFL head coach. Totally premeditated too.
All belichick did was misplace a camera and they fined him AND Kraft a sum so large, many of us will not compile that much in our lifetime.
And as far as that draft pick...Hell yeah, I got no problem with that whatsoever. Take their 1st. Or what was pick we lost can't.. remember now. Gotta be fair afterall...naw take their first! Hahaha.
I wonder how they would react if it were Belichick's foot on the field of play.

Finally someone sees things the right way. ;)

Screw Mike Tomlin and the Steelers. They deserve to be punished.

Check it out. After it becomes clear that Jacoby Jones is running down the Steelers' sideline, Tomlin positions himself closer to the field:

ku-xlarge.gif

It would have been great if Jones knocked Tomlin senseless with a shoulder hit to his back, neck or head, just to see Tomlin twitching on the ground as the refs threw a flag.

If the video was kept rolling for another second we would see that Jones had to veer off back to the field and that allowed him to be caught.

I have no faith whatsoever that Goody will punish Mike Tomlin or the Steelers too severely for an infraction that is clearly worse than taping coaches signals from the wrong place.

A $500K fine and the loss of a 1st round draft pick. Nothing less should be acceptable. Belichick misplaced a frikkin' camera (a violation iof the NFL Operations Manual and NOT the game rules) and that's the fine he and the Patriots got.

Tomlin blatantly attempted to trip an opposing player during a game and interfered with that game. It was definitely cheating, and should rate the same level, or greater punishment as that meted out to New England and Coach Belichick for an operations manual infraction, which had absolutely no bearing on the game that day.

Just like with the camera placement violation, teams had received a Goodell memo about sideline behavior.

What is worse, Tomlin is on the NFL's Competition Committee. Egregious.

If Goody is gonna crack down on player misbehavior, he needs to be even more stringent as far as coaches are concerned. NFLPA should make hay over this…they won't.

Tomlin's actions influenced a game and could have altered the outcome.

A fine is a pittance to a team.

I predict fines with lots of zeros, an admonition, and then forgotten. Can't besmirch the Rooney's vaunted franchise. They would not do the Bob Kraft obsequious, "Thank you sir, may I have another?" ass kissing act. The Saints handled their far more serious player head hunting scandal the right way, fighting back. Do you see fans and mediates constantly mentioning the far more recent NO's offenses like with the Patriots? No. The Rooneys won't make Kraft's mistake.

everyone talks about fines, suspensions, and picks (all of which I am fine with [picks at least precedent-wise) but the one thing no one mentions is:

REVOKING HIS COMPETITION COMMITTEE SEAT.

That needs to be on the list as well.

But he is going to get off with his 'I certainly didnt intend that' (please just ignore that camera footage of my ****-eating grin right afterwards).

Given that even Roger (bleeds Jets Green) Goodell formally found that "Spygate" had no impact on what happened on the field but still penalized the Patriots and Belichick to the tune of $750,000 in fines and a First Round pick, I will be very interested to see what he does in this case where there was direct interference with activity on the field. Anything less than what happened to the Pats will be a disgrace.

Just like with the camera placement violation, teams had received a Goodell memo about sideline behavior.

I really do think this matters enormously. By all accounts Tomlin was standing approximately where he usually stands on kickoffs, and watching on the Jumbotron was also his standard procedure. So even if you believe that the interference was intentional, it was a split-second thing, an ill-advised reaction to a Ravens jersey sprinting toward him.

EXCEPT -- he had just received a memo from the commissioner warning coaches to stay off the sidelines. That means that the fact that he was in his usual place wasn't an excuse. Quite the opposite, in fact: it's "aggravating circumstances" for his crime.

Fined One Hundy ($100,000) and possible revocation or reallocation of a Steelers draft pick afar draft order is determined.

SHould be $500,000 and loss of a pick immediately…this was deliberate on the part of Tomlin.

$100k...

thats it.

a light tap on the wrist.

Just posted

Mike Tomlin has been fined $100,000 and the league may take away a draft pick after the 2014 draft order has been determined.

So, he pretty much gets away with it. Although it looks like a draft pick will also be taken which is good news.

it looks like a draft pick will also be taken which is good news.

I highly doubt that, they're just giving it lip service. If they were going to do that it would've been announced along with the fine.

Remember that the penalty for Cameragate was contingent on whether the Pats made the playoffs. It would have been as 2 and a 3 if they hadn't.

The Mike Tomlin charade brings into sharp relief how Goodell and the league play favorites to the detriment of the game. Tomlin pulls his nonsense on the sideline intentionally INTERFERING with a play, then yucks it up afterward. He bloviates a faux mea culpa in his press conference, saying all the right things. The league gives him a slap on the wrist and you can bet Tomlin's yucking it up again today.

How would BB have handled it? First of all, BB wouldn't have done what Tomlin did. Secondly, if BB was accused of something similar (as we've seen) he would have deferred comment calling it a "league matter." In other words, he wouldn't have prostrated himself before the Holy Commissioner in the form of ass-kissing public apology.

What we're left with is Tomlin as a newly appointed member of the important NFL competition committee. If anyone BELONGS on the competition committee, it's BB. Fat chance of that ever happening.

They're going to lose a draft pick. No way does the NFL let this continue with the threat of a lost draft pick and then say "Oh nevermind" when the time comes.

Cheating on the field of play is a serious offense, and the Pittsburgh* head coach blatantly trying to impede a Raven kick off return with their season on the line is something the NFL is taking very seriously.

That draft pick is as good as gone.

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

The Mike Tomlin charade brings into sharp relief how Goodell and the league play favorites to the detriment of the game. Tomlin pulls his nonsense on the sideline intentionally INTERFERING with a play, then yucks it up afterward. He bloviates a faux mea culpa in his press conference, saying all the right things. The league gives him a slap on the wrist and you can bet Tomlin's yucking it up again today.

How would BB have handled it? First of all, BB wouldn't have done what Tomlin did. Secondly, if BB was accused of something similar (as we've seen) he would have deferred comment calling it a "league matter." In other words, he wouldn't have prostrated himself before the Holy Commissioner in the form of ass-kissing public apology.

What we're left with is Tomlin as a newly appointed member of the important NFL competition committee. If anyone BELONGS on the competition committee, it's BB. Fat chance of that ever happening.

Don't get mad, Tune, get even! I hope the Pats go all the way this year. I know I will be at the Superbowl if they make it. I am not really PO'd as this is about what I expected. The fact is, if the refs had handled it right during the game, it probably would have just been a 15 yd. penalty and that would have been the end of it. Now Tomlin gets to be labeled as a cheater. We'll see how he likes it.

They're going to lose a draft pick. No way does the NFL let this continue with the threat of a lost draft pick and then say "Oh nevermind" when the time comes.

Cheating on the field of play is a serious offense, and the Pittsburgh* head coach blatantly trying to impede a Raven kick off return with their season on the line is something the NFL is taking very seriously.

That draft pick is as good as gone.

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

I disagree. They are going to wait a week or two, let things die down, then on a Friday afternoon at 4:45 pm quietly announce that the punishment already imposed was deemed enough and the Steelers will not be losing a draft pick.

Edit - if they were going to dock them a draft pick, they would have announced it with the fine.

Don't get mad, Tune, get even! I hope the Pats go all the way this year. I know I will be at the Superbowl if they make it. I am not really PO'd as this is about what I expected. The fact is, if the refs had handled it right during the game, it probably would have just been a 15 yd. penalty and that would have been the end of it. Now Tomlin gets to be labeled as a cheater. We'll see how he likes it.

Shouldn't it be automatic touchdown? He probably makes it all the way, it'd still be bull**** if it's 15yds.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back