PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Shanahan Praises Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patters said:
Shanahans certainly one of the best judges of RBs in the league, so his comments are very encouraging.

Yeah, kind of. I still think it is just as likely some species of coach to coach mind games. Whenever Shanahan starts talking I automatically assume it's a misdirection of some kind - sort of like Belichick.

I mean, I don't know what he could possibly accomplish with it in this context. I just don't put any stock in the commentary on the Pats' draft from the redoubtable Mr. Shanahan.

PFnV

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
Actually shanny is a joke and what has he won since Elway?
Change shanny to belly and "since Elway" to "without Brady", and you sound like a Colts fan. Remember he was coach of the year a few years ago, and that is voted on by other NFL head coaches.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
When the Broncos beat the Pats in the playoffs, I thought the Broncos had run some very clever plays on both sides of the ball to expose us.

Ditto to that. I dislike Shanahan and wouldn't take anything he says at face value (unlike Belichick: trouble with BB is he says almost nothing! You can't imagine him commenting on another team's draft pick in a million years, can you?) but he is a good coach, no question.

Mike the Brit said:
Ditto to that. I dislike Shanahan and wouldn't take anything he says at face value (unlike Belichick: trouble with BB is he says almost nothing! You can't imagine him commenting on another team's draft pick in a million years, can you?) but he is a good coach, no question.

Mike, when I made that "every statement is a tactic" comparison, on the BB side I was thinking more of the injury report, really. But BB's actions speak for him. You really think he wanted Javon? You really think he was courting every player he had down for workouts? Half the moves, half the statements to the press, were smoke screens. I'm pretty sure he mentioned linebacker a time or two in print in the last month or so. Any mention of running backs?

But that's all speculation and addressing his press talk by vague memory... It really was the running fiction of the Pats' injury report that put him in the incorrigible press manipulator category for me. And know what? He's got three rings that make that okay. (I don't count anything he won with anybody else) ;)

PFnV

kierkegaard said:
God **** you're a funny guy. I think I laugh at everyone of your posts. Unfortunately I think you just piss everyone else off?

BBYO wakes me up too. doubt he needs much encouragement though.:D he gets more creative with each post.

Whenever Shanny says anything in public I take it with a grain of salt, but that's definitely a heck of a statement on LoMo.

Just a word of caution, Shanahan also loudly proclaimed that Kevan Barlow was the best running back in the draft that year, which included LaDanian and Lamont, among others.

I'm not sure he can evaluate RBs without projecting them into his offense. Maroney fits great into Denver's offense. I think he'll fit here too.

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
Actually shanny is a joke and what has he won since Elway?

The Son of Mr. Shanahan's name should not be used in such a way. Its very offensive.

PatsFanInVa said:
Mike, when I made that "every statement is a tactic" comparison, on the BB side I was thinking more of the injury report, really. But BB's actions speak for him. You really think he wanted Javon? You really think he was courting every player he had down for workouts? Half the moves, half the statements to the press, were smoke screens. I'm pretty sure he mentioned linebacker a time or two in print in the last month or so. Any mention of running backs?

But that's all speculation and addressing his press talk by vague memory... It really was the running fiction of the Pats' injury report that put him in the incorrigible press manipulator category for me. And know what? He's got three rings that make that okay. (I don't count anything he won with anybody else) ;)

PFnV

Mmm, thought-provoking.

There's a very old Jewish joke about two businessmen who used to meet on the station platform in Warsaw. One asks the other where he's going. The second businessman says he's going to Lodz to buy coal.

The first one says "Every time you tell me you're going to Lodz to buy coal you go to Poznan to buy wood, and every time you tell me you're going to Poznan to buy wood you go to Lodz to buy coal. But today I know you're going to Lodz to buy coal. So why are you lying to me?"

I don't think that BB is like that (that's more Parcells, Al Davis, Shanahan). His policy is not, by and large, active deception but minimum informativeness. I think that they really wanted a look at Walker. How interested were they in him really? I have no idea whatsoever -- and that's the point. The minimum information policy on the injury list seems to be: put everyone down as questionable.

My two cents (pence).

Maybe Maroney will provide a spark to the running game

In the playoffs, I was absolutely sick of seeing teams abandon any pretense of defending us against the run. Denver blitzed continually. OL had trouble picking them up in the first half, esp. the wrestler LG, Stephen Neal.

Brady's great, but no one can do it all continually.

Now they may have to be more cautious. Can you imagine a blitz, and we counter with a draw with Maroney zooming up the field with excellent speed for a long-gainer? F'ing sweet.

I'M SO SICK OF THE PATRIOTS NOT BEING ABLE TO RUN THE BALL DOWN THE OPPONENTS' THROAT! What is this, blitzing 43-year-old men (John Lynch) at us, and we can't even burn them?

That's where Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson provide problems for the defense. Speed kills.

SVN said:
anyone runs for a 1000 yds in denver so easy for him to say :)
Maybe he thinks Maroney is so good he could run for closer to 2000 yards, like Terrell Davis. Would be nice.

For people who don't like Shanahan, imagine Bill Belichick coaching the Broncos or another AFC top team and beating your team most every year. Would you like him? :D

State said:
In the playoffs, I was absolutely sick of seeing teams abandon any pretense of defending us against the run. Denver blitzed continually. OL had trouble picking them up in the first half, esp. the wrestler LG, Stephen Neal.

Brady's great, but no one can do it all continually.

Now they may have to be more cautious. Can you imagine a blitz, and we counter with a draw with Maroney zooming up the field with excellent speed for a long-gainer? F'ing sweet.

I'M SO SICK OF THE PATRIOTS NOT BEING ABLE TO RUN THE BALL DOWN THE OPPONENTS' THROAT! What is this, blitzing 43-year-old men (John Lynch) at us, and we can't even burn them?

That's where Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson provide problems for the defense. Speed kills.

Ditto...That Champ Bailey 100 yard interception TD was set up directly from not being able to jam the rock. They were 1st and goal on the 5 and had to resort to ticky-tacking...Awful!!

Nice thing for Shanny to say, but he obviously doesn't mean it. If he did, Maroney would be a Bronco right now.

Unlike us, Denver has a top flight running game, but has "Shaky Jake" as the Field General.

MDPATSFAN said:
Unlike us, Denver has a top flight running game, but has "Shaky Jake" as the Field General.

"Shaky Jake" was a pro-bowler who took his team to the AFC title game, but that's another issue.

The point I was making is that if you really think a guy is going to be the best in the league, you don't pass on him. If LT were available, you wouldn't say, "well, our running game is already pretty good, so we'll go with a QB project instead." He said Maroney would be the best RB in the NFL. You don't pass on a guy you truly think will be the best at his position. Also, while Denver has a good running game, they aren't exactly stacked at HB right now. Either way, if Shanny really thought Maroney was going to be the best, he would have drafted him.

Great Point

MDPATSFAN said:
Ditto...That Champ Bailey 100 yard interception TD was set up directly from not being able to jam the rock. They were 1st and goal on the 5 and had to resort to ticky-tacking...Awful!!

If we had a good run attack in that game we never would have to attempt a pass to Troy Brown with Champ Bailey covering him. Total mismatch.

Last edited:
ON the 100 yard interception, the reason Brady rolled out was because Neal missed the blitz pickup.

Regardless of how our new RB turns out, two more BBisms get buired.

a.) He doesn't take RBs in round 1.
b.) BB doesn't take Juniors early in the draft.

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
The Son of Gods name should not be used in such a way.Thats very offensive.

:bricks: :violent:

Ridiculous.

I think hes a great coach. Honestly, his team has problably been the team that has caused the Pats the most trouble in the past. We won a nail biter in 03 against them, but they've beaten us at least three times during our dynasty.

Warren=underrated said:
"Shaky Jake" was a pro-bowler who took his team to the AFC title game, but that's another issue.

The point I was making is that if you really think a guy is going to be the best in the league, you don't pass on him. If LT were available, you wouldn't say, "well, our running game is already pretty good, so we'll go with a QB project instead." He said Maroney would be the best RB in the NFL. You don't pass on a guy you truly think will be the best at his position. Also, while Denver has a good running game, they aren't exactly stacked at HB right now. Either way, if Shanny really thought Maroney was going to be the best, he would have drafted him.

Shaky Jake was granted a gift to get to the AFC Championship game played at home. We all saw how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore