PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Shanahan Praises Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
rabthepat said:
If we had a good run attack in that game we never would have to attempt a pass to Troy Brown with Champ Bailey covering him. Total mismatch.

Yeah, and if Givens doesn't drop the quick screen he scores and we're up 13-10. Actually, we were having too much success throwing the ball between the 20's to not think we could beat them in the red zone. Problem was we never could execute the pass once we were in striking distance.

That game I definitely missed Charlie Weis - he would call a running play in the red zone and it would drive me nuts, but at least it kept the D honest.

MDPATSFAN said:
Shaky Jake was granted a gift to get to the AFC Championship game played at home. We all saw how that turned out.

Either way, it doesn't matter what one thinks of Shaky Jake. If Shanny truly thought Maroney was going to be BETTER than Tomlinson he wouldn't pass on him.

you've got a point......

Warren=underrated said:
Either way, it doesn't matter what one thinks of Shaky Jake. If Shanny truly thought Maroney was going to be BETTER than Tomlinson he wouldn't pass on him.

Alot of these coaches try to say the right thing......and sugar coat alot of things........not sure what his motive is otherwise.....but like you say if the guy was so high on Maroney....you would think he would have taken him.......my guess is that Maroney will be more successful than Cutler....one man's guess!!!

it's not a "tactic" he's using...it's known that Denver was going to take Maroney if Cutler was gone by their pick...Cutler was still left, so they went w/him.

After Cutler, there were any other QBs worthy of a 1st round selection and I think Shanahan wasn't stupid enough to do that, so he was willing to take Maroney. But of course, Cutler was still there so they took him instead

Warren=underrated said:

Maybe Shanahan thinks Cutler is going to be one of the best QB's in the league, and when it comes to the Broncos and you have who you think will be the best RB available and who you think will be the best QB available, you take the QB. Denver has proved they can plug in any runner and he will have a 1000+ yard season, but they have been unable to find a QB they are truly happy with since Elway. They are tired of waiting on the Snake. They've realized he's not the answer.

I just don't get how this could be a Shanahan "tactic". The question is why on earth would he waste the time? To make BB feel more secure in a pick we've already made? That makes no sense at all and it's totally pointless.

Hendrix said:
it's not a "tactic" he's using...it's known that Denver was going to take Maroney if Cutler was gone by their pick...Cutler was still left, so they went w/him.

After Cutler, there were any other QBs worthy of a 1st round selection and I think Shanahan wasn't stupid enough to do that, so he was willing to take Maroney. But of course, Cutler was still there so they took him instead
Really.

Read the post-draft interviews with Shanahan, Warren. He wanted Cutler, badly. So badly that he refused to talk to him in the final months before the draft for fear of tipping his hand. He got the guy he wanted. Now, I think it's foolish, all the hype about Cutler, but many draft 'experts' had him listed as the best QB in the draft, even the best QB to come out in the past couple of years. Obviously Shanahan agreed. So as a smart coach looking at the best running back or the best QB, which do you take? No Brainer. (I think he's wrong about Cutler, but that's irrelevant.)

Besides, if I was Shanahan, and I was looking at a 'super star' QB and RB.... why the hell would I take RB?!?! Denver has proven they can get near 'super star' production out of simply above average backs.

(Edit: That bastage Zippo beat me to it)

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
************. That is some kind of statement.

Hold on to your socks!!!!..let's not get too excited yet, where the @### is the ol' lady at times like these? :eek:

maverick4 said:
By the way, that is good of Peter King to have his MMQB up already. I hate it when some columnists wait to post their regular columns in the afternoon or a little later than I expect.

As for the knock on Shanahan... what are you talking about!?
Shanahan has two superbowl rings, and he was also an assistant on previous superbowl winners.

Aside from his inability to develop cornerbacks and safeties, as well as an average drafting record, I'd say he's a very smart coach. When the Broncos beat the Pats in the playoffs, I thought the Broncos had run some very clever plays on both sides of the ball to expose us.

Maybe you should be in the John Elway fan club- www.denverbroncos.com
Shanahan sucks...nice teeth too! :D

PatsFanInVa said:
Yeah, kind of. I still think it is just as likely some species of coach to coach mind games. Whenever Shanahan starts talking I automatically assume it's a misdirection of some kind - sort of like Belichick.

I mean, I don't know what he could possibly accomplish with it in this context. I just don't put any stock in the commentary on the Pats' draft from the redoubtable Mr. Shanahan.

PFnV

PatsFaninVA.....couldn't agree with you more. Wouldn't trust Shanny "fake tooth" for a second. Think he's been bit by the "forked tongue" syndrome.

If you look at the way Maroney runs he is a classic example of a Bronco back one cut then get up field. He would be rookie of the year for Denver.

Yeah I don't know the point of it either. I also don't know the point of continually producing 1000 yard backs at random instead of keeping one a year or two. Let's face it, Shanahan's mind is a special place. I don't live there, and since I'm not paid to live there, I'm not even visiting. But I'm pretty sure when someone asks him what he had for breakfast and it's Raisin Bran, he says "Wheaties," just in case.

PFnV

Julius said:
If you look at the way Maroney runs he is a classic example of a Bronco back one cut then get up field. He would be rookie of the year for Denver.

Did you hear Maroney yesterday? He said the coaches forced all the backs to run that way. But on the 93 yard TD he cut back before the LOS and took it the distance. Said the coaches would have been pissed if he hadn't gone all the way.

I think Maroney is a really smart RB - patient, great vision, and enough acceleration to get through the hole once it opens up. He's also got some moves and a nice little stiffarm (not as good as Corey's, but it's a good start).

Patters said:
Shanahans certainly one of the best judges of RBs in the league, so his comments are very encouraging.

Running a system where you can plug any RB in hardly makes you one of the best judges of RBs. Wasn't it just last year Shanahan took Maurice Clarett in the 3d round. I'm not saying Maroney wasn't a good pick but people here generally bash Shanahan. I guess all bets are off if he is complimentary.

Last edited:
Mo Clarrett is a good RB, just a little troubled. I mean, a lot of players usually don't just COME into the league and take over right away anyway or do much of anything (a lot of them).

If he hasn't done anything 5 years from now..then yes, you should get on shanahan for it.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Really.

Read the post-draft interviews with Shanahan, Warren. He wanted Cutler, badly. So badly that he refused to talk to him in the final months before the draft for fear of tipping his hand. He got the guy he wanted. Now, I think it's foolish, all the hype about Cutler, but many draft 'experts' had him listed as the best QB in the draft, even the best QB to come out in the past couple of years. Obviously Shanahan agreed. So as a smart coach looking at the best running back or the best QB, which do you take? No Brainer.

Let's assume your right, and he really thought Maroney would eventually be the absolute best RB in the NFL, and that Cutler would eventually be the very best QB. Why wouldn't he trade whatever necessary to get BOTH of them? It certainly wouldn't have been too high a price for Denver to move up to #20 if they really thought it was someone better than LT they'd be getting.

Shanny didn't say he thought Maroney was the best RB in this draft, he said he'd become the best RB in the entire NFL. If he really thought that, and saw Maroney was still available at #20, he'd have found a way to get him. Or, if he couldn't trade up to #20, he'd have kept his mouth shut and tried to make a trade for him at some point before the deadline.

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
The Son of Gods name should not be used in such a way.Thats very offensive.

Speaking of which - wouldn't it be nice if all these quasi religious sports stars stoped "thanking Jesus" everytime they pummelled their opponents into the ground?

I guess as far as these guys are all concerned, God rested on the 7th day to watch football, and remains an avid fan.

Still, I can't help but imagine God and Jesus sitting side by side, watching the sideline interviews following a game (or better yet, following a boxing match) muttering "don't thank me... please don't thank me!" - as the winning sports figure gives them credit for helping them stomping all over the team or individual that apprently God likes less.

Is it blasphemy to think that God truly doesn't care which sports team or boxer wins? Isn't it blasphemy to think that he actually DOES?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case